Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I remember picking up the sequel to this on the PS2 with literally no idea it was a sequel and being really confused (its some weird post apocalypse sci fi mess). Later went back and tried the original, but the tank control and fixed camera are just something I'm not willing to put up with anymore and never made it far.

I just finished dead space remake and the game kinda has the opposite inventory management problem. Dead space really make sure to always drop what you need so that you never soft lock yourself out due to lack of resource. Been trough a tough fight and took a ton of damage? No big deal, the game just drop more than enough health kit to fix you right back up. Flip side is that if you go trough the fight playing really well and taking almost no damage and using minimal ammo, the game will just give you like 5 bucks and you might literally be worse off the better you did. The game also seem to keep track of how much upgrade you have and limit the amount of money it give you (to buy upgrade) so that you always have exactly what your supposed to at any point. I ended up with just enough power node at the end to upgrade every gear to max, with 0 leftover and that seems a little to close for coincidence.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember picking up the sequel to this on the PS2 with literally no idea it was a sequel and being really confused (its some weird post apocalypse sci fi mess). Later went back and tried the original, but the tank control and fixed camera are just something I'm not willing to put up with anymore and never made it far.
My brother and an ex-friend of ours picked it up on the cheap back in 2000. I have no idea how we made it that far and got to the end of the game. I wouldn't mind this game getting a remake, but we all know that's never going to happen. I wouldn't go through it again either.

I just finished dead space remake and the game kinda has the opposite inventory management problem. Dead space really make sure to always drop what you need so that you never soft lock yourself out due to lack of resource. Been trough a tough fight and took a ton of damage? No big deal, the game just drop more than enough health kit to fix you right back up. Flip side is that if you go trough the fight playing really well and taking almost no damage and using minimal ammo, the game will just give you like 5 bucks and you might literally be worse off the better you did. The game also seem to keep track of how much upgrade you have and limit the amount of money it give you (to buy upgrade) so that you always have exactly what your supposed to at any point. I ended up with just enough power node at the end to upgrade every gear to max, with 0 leftover and that seems a little to close for coincidence.
Dead Space OG and Remake more or less do the thing RE4 and RE4R do. You are on the nose. Though I don't have much issue with how inventory management works in Dead Space.

Reactions: meiam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Worgen, I found some reviews of SS4 where they're either praising the game or defending it after the patch update. Any other video I found was mainly just gameplay with no commentary. The people who uploaded their no commentary playthrough said the game ran great on either a PS5 or series X in the comments section.

Last edited:

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Well, most developers today are off the 'that violence makes you think though, ey' kick that they were on a decade ago. But Naughty Dog (or I guess Druckmann) thought it was still 2013. Which is odd because the first game came out a decade ago and has a far better take on violence in games than the sequel by simply not putting so much emphasis on it. I mean, it's there for Joel to ignore and for Ellie to go 'what the fuck' in response, but it doesn't obnoxiously hinge its characters or plot on it.
But don't you realize that revenge is BAD! M'kay!?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Hahaha 😂, no! I'm not coming to the defense of this game, but that's a load of big bull and you know it. The world's not going to end for men nor women in any part of the world, just because of a bad product. They're still pretty from the West from the big, medium, or small. There's still plenty of guy focused action movies that come out now and today. The Beekeeper just came out a few weeks ago. Not to forget that there are plenty of AA and smaller indie games from the West that treat men and women will respect and don't rely on sexist tropes. Unintentional or not.
I'm half expecting that the far right are going to pull a Mass Effect Andromada and insist Suicide Squad is bad because its woke and not because its build around outdated and discredited design philosophies.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
But don't you realize that revenge is BAD! M'kay!?
*sigh* Yeah.

Druckmann didn't realize that we already knew. He really thought he was pulling the rug out from under our feet by going 'look, Abby's a person too'. He must live in some weird bubble where he earnestly believes that the concept of revenge is some widely accepted righteous cause that he needed to subvert. As if the myriad of revenge tales aren't already infused with condemnation of said revenge. I don't know, maybe he's only ever seen Dirty Harry movies or something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*sigh* Yeah.

Druckmann didn't realize that we already knew. He really thought he was pulling the rug out from under our feet by going 'look, Abby's a person too'. He must live in some weird bubble where he earnestly believes that the concept of revenge is some widely accepted righteous cause that he needed to subvert. As if the myriad of revenge tales aren't already infused with condemnation of said revenge. I don't know, maybe he's only ever seen Dirty Harry movies or something.
The mfer , but he thought as himself as only one to break it down to a perfect science, thought he had "subverted it in a way no one else ever has before!". That man has way too huge of an ego. Even before his little precious game, there were plenty of other games that had beat him to the punch back in the arcade days. I'm talking back in the mid to late 80s arcade days as well.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hate these possible revival articles. Either revive the game or don't. I know DOA is dead in the water, and that a lot of the DOA combat developers in the lead developer left to go work on Tekken 8. If they do bring back, ninja gaiden, they're going to have to go to a back to basics approach. Have more than Ryu be the main playable character and have those other characters actually fit into the story and not some side side mission or non canon bonus feature. Make Kasumi and Ayane main characters woven into the story. I would pay to play that.