Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

So on one hand, I feel like I dodged a bullet by not having sunk hours and hours into the game because I've yet to play it. On the other hand, I did actually buy it for like $30 at some point so I feel like I might have wasted that $30 by not playing it, but if it's not worth playing, then I would lose both 30 hours and $30 so I guess either way I'm losing out.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

So on one hand, I feel like I dodged a bullet by not having sunk hours and hours into the game because I've yet to play it. On the other hand, I did actually buy it for like $30 at some point so I feel like I might have wasted that $30 by not playing it, but if it's not worth playing, then I would lose both 30 hours and $30 so I guess either way I'm losing out.

You're not missing much. It plays like a worse version of Kingdom Hearts. Considering that this was supposed to be Final fantasy 13 versus, there were so much production trouble with this. It doesn't matter anyway, because they divided up all the story through different pieces of media that you have to buy all in order to understand a fraction of what's going on.

I don't know if this would be put under jokes, but this video is from 2014 when Bayonetta 2 first came out on Wii U. I just want a funny that half the teens in this video were offended by what was going on, or that shock that Nintendo allowed a game like that on their console. I know not all of them are gamers, but the ones that do game should know that Nintendo has released plenty of M rated games on their systems before.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You're not missing much. It plays like a worse version of Kingdom Hearts. Considering that this was supposed to be Final fantasy 13 versus, there were so much production trouble with this. It doesn't matter anyway, because they divided up all the story through different pieces of media that you have to buy all in order to understand a fraction of what's going on.
That's one of the reasons I'm kinda salty at it. The fact you can't get the games story from just playing the game, but apparently you also have to:

-Watch the movie(which I liked but it SHOULD HAVE BEEN PART OF THE GAME)
-Watch the Anime series
-Buy the DLC(which contains vital story content) but some of those were canceled so we don't even get the rest of the story there.
-Apparently there are also books you have to read that covers the DLC that were canceled.

This is BAD STORYTELLING. It reeks of mismanagement, bad planning and shitty monitatory practices to boot. That and nobody should be forced to do homework to understand a story, especially in a videogame that took 10 years and millions of dollars to make.

It was shitty when Ubisoft did it to AC and it's shitty when SE did it to FFXV.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

It's not a very good game but it does have a couple of stuff that makes it worth playing, the camping/roadtrip aspect (ie the first 1/3) of the game is pretty fun. You get in a car with your group of friend, travel to some small roadside town, grab food at the dinner and select some quest in a nearby area. On the way there you camp out around the camp eating some food and reviewing photos that one of the member of the group took on the way there. It's all very relaxing and the world is beautiful. If for nothing else I'd say it's worth playing the first 10-15 hours.

Sadly the combat is pretty shit, there's no stamina or set combo length, so to stop you from just button smashing your way to victory enemy are almost entirely immune to stun, so every fight just has you attack the enemy once or twice just to have them turn around and beat you up, the only way to avoid that is to constantly switch target and then fight just turn into clusterfuck. Boss are either super easy to cheese with magic or just massive damage sponge. There's also almost no party customization available, no skill tree or job system and even the list of equipment is severely lacking.

The story is also kinda crap, most of it isn't in the game and even whats there is laughable, the main love interest is in the game maybe 2 minutes (and when she gets killed its supposed to be super tragic, nevermind the fact that she just killed 10 000s of peoples). Your companion are also pretty uniteresting, spending most of the game whining.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's not a very good game but it does have a couple of stuff that makes it worth playing, the camping/roadtrip aspect (ie the first 1/3) of the game is pretty fun. You get in a car with your group of friend, travel to some small roadside town, grab food at the dinner and select some quest in a nearby area. On the way there you camp out around the camp eating some food and reviewing photos that one of the member of the group took on the way there. It's all very relaxing and the world is beautiful. If for nothing else I'd say it's worth playing the first 10-15 hours.

Sadly the combat is pretty shit, there's no stamina or set combo length, so to stop you from just button smashing your way to victory enemy are almost entirely immune to stun, so every fight just has you attack the enemy once or twice just to have them turn around and beat you up, the only way to avoid that is to constantly switch target and then fight just turn into clusterfuck. Boss are either super easy to cheese with magic or just massive damage sponge. There's also almost no party customization available, no skill tree or job system and even the list of equipment is severely lacking.

The story is also kinda crap, most of it isn't in the game and even whats there is laughable, the main love interest is in the game maybe 2 minutes (and when she gets killed its supposed to be super tragic, nevermind the fact that she just killed 10 000s of peoples). Your companion are also pretty uniteresting, spending most of the game whining.
After reading all that, I think you just gave him even less motivation to play the game.

Also, that first third is so not worth it. Glad I never bought the game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
After reading all that, I think you just gave him even less motivation to play the game.

Also, that first third is so not worth it. Glad I never bought the game.
It's not worth buying the game for it, but I think if you already own it its worth the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's not worth buying the game for it, but I think if you already own it its worth the time.
Even if somebody gave it to me for free, I still don't think it would have been worth my time. I would have gotten bored and played something else.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
That's the irony, really. I bought it a couple years back for like $30(the royal edition or something) and still haven't gotten around to playing it. And when I have a number of other games in the same genre I also own but havent played(FF7R, Skies of Arcadia, Personal 5 Royal, the DS remakes of FF3 and FF4) it's pretty much, well, what's the best use of my time?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's the irony, really. I bought it a couple years back for like $30(the royal edition or something) and still haven't gotten around to playing it. And when I have a number of other games in the same genre I also own but havent played(FF7R, Skies of Arcadia, Personal 5 Royal, the DS remakes of FF3 and FF4) it's pretty much, well, what's the best use of my time?
You're better off just playing all of those. Do as you wish, but you're better off just selling the game at a game store or something.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You're better off just playing all of those. Do as you wish, but you're better off just selling the game at a game store or something.
Alas, I bought it digitally on a PS4 store discount sale.

So $30 lost I guess.

Also, can you even resale games for any decent price at game stores? I haven't been inside one for years honestly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Alas, I bought it digitally on a PS4 store discount sale.

So $30 lost I guess.

Also, can you even resale games for any decent price at game stores? I haven't been inside one for years honestly.
Depends on what it is, and whether the game store is not a GameStop. I know more comic book shops, mom & pop style game stores, and places like Disc Replay tend give more for rarer games or retro games/older consoles.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Although it’s the state in-game I’d be least likely to enjoy living in, I’d have to say much like the swampy heat it is thickest in character -

The gators never fail to give me a jump scare either.

Didn’t realize the last couple were out also -

Link to all five states.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
David Jaffe said:
“I know things. I know where the bodies are buried. Hell, I know who pulled the trigger before they buried the fucking bodies… you should’ve called.”
In other news, David Jaffe's publicist was once again seen rushing to Jaffe's house with bolt cutters in hand, where upon they made a beeline for the hardline.

Also, maybe Sony would've called if you'd made any good games in the last decade and a half.