Game Articles and Videos Thread

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

Given its 25 years later since John St Jon gave us the iconic Duke Nukem, I am glad that we have distanced ourselves heavily from the toxic legacy of what Duke represented.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Jump to about 11:45 where it gets a bit more interesting then just talking about gameplay. Basically, George starts talking about the supernatural(or lack thereof) bits of this game and brings up the concept of bicameral mind theory, or the idea that Ancient people processed the world differently then we did on a biological and psychological level, and when they heard gods and sprits, it was more akin to what we'd consider symptoms of schizophrenia. I don't know how much there is to that and I don't have the background in Neuroscience, Psychology or Anthropology to really judge if it's bullshit or not. It was an interesting Segway regardless.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Jump to about 11:45 where it gets a bit more interesting then just talking about gameplay. Basically, George starts talking about the supernatural(or lack thereof) bits of this game and brings up the concept of bicameral mind theory, or the idea that Ancient people processed the world differently then we did on a biological and psychological level, and when they heard gods and sprits, it was more akin to what we'd consider symptoms of schizophrenia. I don't know how much there is to that and I don't have the background in Neuroscience, Psychology or Anthropology to really judge if it's bullshit or not. It was an interesting Segway regardless.
I’m wondering if the mind really behaved that differently back then via neurological/physiological differences or merely it was more a result of extremely efficient social programming. There was no internet back then and people/ideas were largely isolated and ultimately controlled, often through fear-inducing measures, so it would seem reasonably plausible.

Besides, they must’ve been incredibly bored back then too, with no video games or social media. Imagine how wild their imaginations must have ran, if given the sliver of a chance! If they have little to nothing to root back to logic, it would seem at least those in power could start defining their own reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I’m wondering if the mind really behaved that differently back then via neurological/physiological differences or merely it was more a result of extremely efficient social programming. There was no internet back then and people/ideas were largely isolated and ultimately controlled, often through fear-inducing measures, so it would seem reasonably plausible.

Besides, they must’ve been incredibly bored back then too, with no video games or social media. Imagine how wild their imaginations must have ran, if given the sliver of a chance! If they have little to nothing to root back to logic, it would seem at least those in power could start defining their own reality.
You know, I don't really think about it much, but when my power goes out, like it did in the recent winter storm here, I'm reminded why people went to bed early back in the day(not long after night fell) and why the darkness was so scary to people. I mean, more then it is now. It's one thing to imagine how cold and spooky the winter nights seem when you're in a warm, lit home. It's far easier to see how people felt when there's no heat or artificial light for as far as you can see and the roads are mostly blocked by snow.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You know, I don't really think about it much, but when my power goes out, like it did in the recent winter storm here, I'm reminded why people went to bed early back in the day(not long after night fell) and why the darkness was so scary to people. I mean, more then it is now. It's one thing to imagine how cold and spooky the winter nights seem when you're in a warm, lit home. It's far easier to see how people felt when there's no heat or artificial light for as far as you can see and the roads are mostly blocked by snow.
The main difference was they were used to it. Chances are they’d find all the chaos of modern life “scarier” lol.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This is a long one. 15 years....damn. The last time I touched this game was back between 07-08.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The main difference was they were used to it. Chances are they’d find all the chaos of modern life “scarier” lol.
I can imagine they'd feel overwhelmed and confused as shit, if not completely alienated by shifts in worldview in certain things. Hell, I feel overwhelmed reading the news sometimes and I live here.

And that's before you get to the issues of "So within an hour someone on the other side of the world could inadvertently(or purposfully) trigger a cataclysm that would reduce half the planet to embers and kill millions with weapons that melt cities" and "We're slowly killing off our oceans, our forests, our air and pretty much everywhere because people are selfish and refuse to see a problem and/or take steps stop this".

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker