Game Clichés you hate the most

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Games that push one emotion to much, Gears of War and Call of Duty was always so dour and angsty, then they try to make certain moments sad and emotionally heavy, but it doesn't work because they are just going from dour to slightly more dour.

In games that I personally found very emotional, games like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Baldur's Gate, Red Dead Redemption, etc., there are moments of levity and peacefulness, even amidst all the anger and shooting and murder there are times where I can relax and have a quick laugh, so then when the shit goes down it makes it that much more serious and emotional because you're dropping from the highs to the lows, not from low to a bit lower.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Racecarlock said:
Why is star wars 1313 a gritty, realistic, mature game? Because every fucking thing has to be a gritty, realistic, and mature thing these days.
I thourght the Idea was to show the seedy underside of the star wars universe as opoased to its usual "black vs white" thing, and you know it actulaly does sound like an exciting premise..

reminds me of the first world in KOTOR,

anyway it really depends on what you would define as "dark and gritty" would I call Dragon age orrigins dark and gritty? I'm not sure I would, Its got some dark aspects but really the world just feels pretty balanced

would I call Mass Effect dark and gritty? definetly not the first game...the first game was campy as heck..it leans a littl emore that way in the second game mainly due to the parts of the galaxy shepard visits and gets a bit dakrer in thrid but never really somthing I'd call "dark and gritty"

Assasins creed? no I don't think I;d call it that. games I can think of that do fit that descriptoin would be Dead Space and mabye far cry 3 but FC3 has a colurful backdrop

anyway I guess the Idea with dark and gritty is to really explore the "darker" themes in the story and if things are serious mabye get an emotional reaction

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Games that end with the hero(s) returning to their small town/farm after saving the world.

Granted, I haven't seen that in a while.

Bard's Tale is an exception due to the ending choice.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
The irrational rival. I'm trying to save the goddamned world but first I have to deal with the hair you've got up your ass? Luckily these idiots are rare.

Sep 14, 2009
FelixG said:
krazykidd said:
Is "good guy win, bad guy loses" a cliche? Because if it is i choose that . I want the bad guy to win despite all oir efforts just to change shit up .

If that doesn't count then:

THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP ! Fuck friendship . Friendship does not triumph over all .
Mine: Being a good guy all the damn time.

Sometimes I just want to play a badguy who wins! Is that so much to ask for?! ~.~

sorry, just had to post it:D

OT: one slight thing i'd like to add, in most sandbox/open world games, they hardly EVER build the game very vertically, the only one i can really think of off the top of my head is just cause 2, which i LOVED that fact...

nothing beats stealing a jet and flying it to the top altitude, then jumping out of the cockpit and doing a 3 minute free fall, saving your own ass with a grappling hook 2 feet from the ground XD

i mean really, the physics in this game...

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Racecarlock said:
If a katamari game was made today, it would be grey and brown and probably make you clean toilets or fight child molesting criminal murderer car thiefs because that's gritty and mature and shit. And the opening cutscene would be half an hour long with the king describing his abusive parents because that's dramatic.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but Touch My Katamari was released earlier this year (late last year in Japan), and it's the same old Katamari.

OT: Really, the only thing that annoys me in a video game is the "here's a picture of your controller, and here's what each button does" type of 'tutorial'. Fucking... that's no way to teach a player your controls. Makes me mad every time.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
TehCookie said:
White 30 something brown haired protagonists with a 5o'clock shadow. I don't know why they annoy me so much but they will turn me off from a game.

Also grit, dirt, angst and realism. They always seem to go together, I prefer my fantastical games.
This is really annoying. Ya know what irks me even more though? Being forced to play as a human in fantasy and, Sci-Fi games.

Another cliche I dislike (which is in just about everything honestly) is the forced romance. Romance can be great for character building but...well, I didn't know there WAS a romance in the Gears of War trilogy or The Force Unleashed and honestly think both would have been better off without those aspects to the plot.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Any cliche can be done right, but the just tend not to be.
For example, I hate playing as an overpowered protagonist who cannot be stopped by anything. There is no growth; there is no depth. I hate Dante and Kratos. I don't like it when I'm already the hero. I cannot relate to that. I want to become the hero. I want to start out not knowing what the hell I'm doing and end up as the elite soldier. However, if the character must go this rout, then at least give the kid room to grow beyond a tacked on leveling system. The easiest backstory in this case is overcoming arrogance. Assassin's Creed did the perfectly.

That's the big one. As for smaller things:
-I will lump all melee weapons into a single category, because as we all know, if you are a good fencer, then you can wield an axe with just as much finesse.
-Look at that metal robot! I bet you can beat it in a fist fight without breaking a single knuckle!
-My armor only covers my nipples and hips. Don't worry guys; I'll be the tank.
-I weigh 100 pounds and have the figure of of a 15 year old girl. I'll be the one wielding the seven foot tall meat cleaver.
-My dagger is 3 feet long; my one handed sword is 5 feet long; my two handed sword is as thick as my dagger.
-Hey you on the street, you're the chosen one. Me? No, I've only been doing this for 20 years. You're the professional here.
-Afraid to die? Are you kidding? I'll just be back in 20 seconds in the exact same spot to pick up where I left off.
-They are the bad guys! Can't you tell? Their skin is brown!
-Subtle caracter design?!? What's wrong with 6 buckles going up and down her sleeves? What is this "practical clothing" you speak of?
-My highly trained elite soldiers have on weakness: circle strafing.
-Trust me, the story starts picking up after the first 30 hours of gameplay.

I have more. I'll post them eventually.

EDIT:
-I'm the protagonist, and you're the first/only female I have seen during this arc of my life. I smell a relationship...

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlwaysChaoticEvil

does anyone find it a little weird that races like goblins, troll and, Orcs are all pure evil. I would think one of them would say "maybe we don't need to kill a town of of innocent people for are dark and evil god".

I also hate when the hero wipes out a whole race. because nothing says hero like mass murder.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
The fact that the protagonist just accepts being the hero...or saving someone. I dunno its rare when you see a protagonist REALLY fight against "destiny" or circumstance.

Shit Villains and all the antagonisty things. I am kinda sick of saving the world...more than that the characters all feel the same and lack motives that feel real

Bad localizations and over used archtypes....basically 45% of JRPG content. I hate the fact that localizing teams somehow lose the ability to comprehend how people speak and stick to the closest translation of a language. I was playing a harvest moon game once and the localization of a characters marriage proposal was just...off.

Bad voice acting...as an aspiring voice actress this just pisses me off. I HATE Tales of Symphonia because I recognize the voice actors and in this game they get lazy as shit

Stomperchomper

Mar 13, 2012
Richardplex said:
Dethenger said:
Magicman10893 said:
360, probably, but I wouldn't mind checking it out on Steam.
If you're getting it on PC, get it on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Desert-to-Sea-Bundle-Download/dp/B0091T6FQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356821947&sr=8-1&keywords=desert+bundle
All of them give you codes for steam. Or if you have absolutely no interest in the bioshock games, go here (again, steam codes):
http://www.greenmangaming.com/
Where it should be around $8 for a short time. But you've gotta really not want the Bioshocks to avoid getting them for $1 a piece.

Pc version has some mouse acceleration apparently, but I never noticed it. It's truly a stellar game, with huge replay value in looking for all the symbolism and whatnot in it.

Amazon.com and Greenmangaming both seem to be serious about being viable alternatives to steam (even though they sell steam keys). This pleases me (because this sort of competition is consumer friendly).

OT: cut scenes and gameplay mechanics not matching up at all. Mass Effect characters, you have these things called shields, why don't they work in cutscenes? They work just fine in the novels!

For actual clichés, um, you are the hero, me being a whirlwind of death, People giving some random stranger a quest, ...you know what? Everything that RPGs share, that'd be easier.
Wow, thanks for posting that amazon.com bundle, I've been meaning to try both Bioshock and Spec-ops, so that was just perfect for me.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
When I've just spent forty minutes slogging my way past a hundred heavily armed and highly dangerous goons only to be held up or one upped by a bunch of said goons during a cutscene. I always facepalm and go, JUST FUCKING SHOOT THESE GUYS LIKE YOU DID THE REST!

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
WoW Killer said:
Massive breaks in gameplay to progress a narrative. When it's like "Here's a bit of game. Ok, are you done? Now have some story. Alright, time for some more game. Now that we're done with that, would you like some more story? Ring-ring! Hello, yes this is game". It's obtrusive.
This so much!

When I play a game, I want all of my core gameplay options to be unlocked within 2 hours, and then left alone!

I don't want to play a mech game, and then constantly be thrust out of my giant walking tank (I named him Bob!) to fight enemies on foot! I'm looking at you, Front Mission Evolved! I don't care how well, or badly implemented those sections are, it's a mech game, let me fight in a mech!
Basically, focus your game's gameplay on what you're marketing the game as.

And I hate games like the new Call of Duty's, where each mission is just showcasting ONE really cool gadget. GIVE US ALL THE GADGETS AND LET US PLAY WITH THEM!

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
TehCookie said:
White 30 something brown haired protagonists with a 5o'clock shadow. I don't know why they annoy me so much but they will turn me off from a game.

Also grit, dirt, angst and realism. They always seem to go together, I prefer my fantastical games.
This is really annoying. Ya know what irks me even more though? Being forced to play as a human in fantasy and, Sci-Fi games.
I second this, it's practicly racism when you think about it. "Well we thought that players would rather play as a someting normal than one of those weird other things."

Something that's been bugging me is when you have to do the errands for NPCs, sure I'm happy to oblige when I'm playing as me, it's important, or it sounds like it might be interesting (like in Fallout or Neir), but in games like Borderlands or an MMO, you walk up to someone, they give you a text screen with how many things they need, you complete the quest, and then you get another text screen telling you that the money's been but into your account.

Another thing I'm getting tired of is a reliance on multi-player. Shooters with a strong multi-player component, fine. But it's games like Borderlands (again) that say that the game is better with friends that annoyes me. Because everthing could be better with friends, gather some pals around and even Deadliest Warrior the game could be fun for a while (if only for the wrong reasons).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
TehCookie said:
-snip-
Another thing I'm getting tired of is a reliance on multi-player. Shooters with a strong multi-player component, fine. But it's games like Borderlands (again) that say that the game is better with friends that annoyes me. Because everthing could be better with friends, gather some pals around and even Deadliest Warrior the game could be fun for a while (if only for the wrong reasons).
WAY back in the 1990s, Duke Nukem 3D on the Nintendo 64 (which had a strong single player focus) had several levels dedicated to multiplayer. If you couldn't get friends around, you could play WITH BOTS. IN THE 90'S. ON A CARTRIDGE BASED MACHINE. I don't understand how a game from way the hell back then, I'm sorry, a PORT of a game from way back then was capable of a feature that is apparently not possible on machines that can run laps around an N64 while on sleep mode. What's more, TV's are larger now than I remember them being in the 90's and far more accessible. I understand shooters of today focusing on multiplayer but I don't understand why off-line players are being snubbed. I know we're in the minority but I also know I'm not the only one who has to jump through metaphorical hoops if I want my consoles to get online, let alone maintain a connection good enough to play on.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
The totally mute absolutely no personality main character that "supposed to represent you". Always felt like really lazy writing to me and more of a lame excuse for the designers to be lazy and avoid the work of developing a actual interesting main character, since apparently the equivalent of a moving crash test dummy gets the job done.