Game Dogs: Episode Nine: Crunch

ShinningDesertEagle

Oct 14, 2009
Another great episode and arguably the best. Roger getting the nerve to stop taking Chet's crap and destroys his action figures was unexpected and funny. A lot of memborable lines. Nice way to spice things up.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Roger Is now my Faviroute !

All you people need to lighten up, I love this show ! Really entertaining !

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Kaiser0120 said:
Alright, I've been meaning to make an account on this site for a long time. Wish it didn't have to be for this, but screw it.

This show is not funny. The creators might have some good ideas, but they're being wasted on this show. The actors obviously have talent, but it's being wasted on this show. The animators MIGHT have some talent, but... yeah, this show.

First off, Roger going berserk and Bethany being surprised by it. This is, what, the third time? Why is she even surprised anymore? Why is it even FUNNY anymore? Answers are, she shouldn't be and it isn't. Not to mention, nerd-rage is only effective when it's built up to correctly. In this episode, it works somewhat effectively, but it's hurt by the fact that it was basically just inserted into earlier episodes before there was any real build-up of his character.

That's really the problem with these jokes. Just like Bethany's "I'm the token girl" they're all flat, obvious cliches. Sure, they have some quirks, but by the sheer fact that the creators assume we know who they are supposed to be in the dynamic, they make obvious, tired jokes about them. Like sexism in the workplace, the pushy, ignorant boss, the nerd, the token girl, the slacker. Only Bob has ever made me laugh and Mr. Yee was at least a fun Cloud Cuckoolander

Bethany is probably the worst example. She is absolutely bland as hell. Now, I know it's hard to write for female characters without making them a stereotype, but come on, guys. Give her some room to breath, the actually have some quirks, faults, and qualities. All I see here is exactly what you had her say: She's the girl and she's just sort of there. Having her be the artist was a good move, but there's nothing more to her than that.

What's worse is the animation. Ok, look, I'm not an animator and I'm not about to start saying I could do any better. I know a couple of animators, they work their asses off on stuff like this. The thing is, they also know whether or not their work is very good. This? Not. Good. This animation is bad. The elevator mouths, the jerky motions, the simple and incredibly limited expressions. In the trailer, they make the EXCUSE, "Animation takes time!" Well, if you don't want criticism, then don't put out a final product that DOESN'T LOOK VERY GOOD.

But really, this all maybe could have been saved by the writing. However, as I said before, it's boring, it's lazy, and it's flat out stifled. We haven't seen ANY of the game they're working on and nothing beside them in their office or playing D&D. There are many instances where a cutaway to one of their mentioned disasters could have been provided and it probably would have made those conversations much more entertaining, but all we hear is "It rerouted to the Pentagon blah blah isn't that funny?"

Lastly, and this is something I really do need to point out: The dog gimmick? God. Awful. No, really, it's one of the worst things about the entire show, honestly. There is absolutely no reason for them to be dogs. It doesn't add to the comedy, it isn't ironic. It's just a way to differentiate yourselves and it fails miserably. A gimmick only serves a purpose when it's adding to the production as a whole. This adds squat.

Honestly, I'd really like to see these actors apply their talents elsewhere and the writers really take their time and come up with something newer, fresher, and tighter. As for the animators, well... I know they're working on a restrained budget and time-frame, so I can only assume that's why the animation looks so... God awful. I'll assume they can do better with the right amount of time and effort.

Oh, and for those who think furries are going to like this because they're dogs? Trust me, we're not all that sycophantic. Not a single furry I call a friend has said this show is any good.
This. Soooooooo this. Every word is the truth. Whoever writes this, give it up.

DEATHROAD said:
hmm,around 1:40 u can hear,VERY QUIETLY, some voices, not the voices that are ment to be heard me thinks

OT:

Slowly sliding back down the hill guys,didnt laugh at this one,dont loose it now you were so close
Can't really go back downhill when you started at the bottom anyway.

Hubbe

May 12, 2009
Umm....

Holy shit, Roger!

(And BTW, I laughed my ass off at the "Big yellow thing in the sky" bit :D)

kitakaze

Mar 16, 2010
Well i have been following this for a few weeks now and whenever i read the comments i seem to be disagreeing with the vast majority. For me this was the worst episode, it just didn't feel right.

That being said it was still an ok episode it just didn't make me laugh like the others. I just hope that this isn't a sign of things to come.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
I've been wanting to say this for a few weeks now, but it began to pick up slightly and there was even some positive response from other viewers so I decided to hold back, but I figure now's a good time to say a classic line:

"Let's Make This ***** Go The Way of Old Yeller!"

thegreatsage

Nov 25, 2009
Mray3460 said:
The image of a little white dog in a hat on a yellow background reviewing Satan's Retrievers just popped into my head.
Well,what a coincidence.I did too.
Seriously though,that WOULD be the best thing that happened to the series since Bob.
Kaiser0120 said:
Alright, I've been meaning to make an account on this site for a long time. Wish it didn't have to be for this, but screw it.

This show is not funny. The creators might have some good ideas, but they're being wasted on this show. The actors obviously have talent, but it's being wasted on this show. The animators MIGHT have some talent, but... yeah, this show.

First off, Roger going berserk and Bethany being surprised by it. This is, what, the third time? Why is she even surprised anymore? Why is it even FUNNY anymore? Answers are, she shouldn't be and it isn't. Not to mention, nerd-rage is only effective when it's built up to correctly. In this episode, it works somewhat effectively, but it's hurt by the fact that it was basically just inserted into earlier episodes before there was any real build-up of his character.

That's really the problem with these jokes. Just like Bethany's "I'm the token girl" they're all flat, obvious cliches. Sure, they have some quirks, but by the sheer fact that the creators assume we know who they are supposed to be in the dynamic, they make obvious, tired jokes about them. Like sexism in the workplace, the pushy, ignorant boss, the nerd, the token girl, the slacker. Only Bob has ever made me laugh and Mr. Yee was at least a fun Cloud Cuckoolander

Bethany is probably the worst example. She is absolutely bland as hell. Now, I know it's hard to write for female characters without making them a stereotype, but come on, guys. Give her some room to breath, the actually have some quirks, faults, and qualities. All I see here is exactly what you had her say: She's the girl and she's just sort of there. Having her be the artist was a good move, but there's nothing more to her than that.

What's worse is the animation. Ok, look, I'm not an animator and I'm not about to start saying I could do any better. I know a couple of animators, they work their asses off on stuff like this. The thing is, they also know whether or not their work is very good. This? Not. Good. This animation is bad. The elevator mouths, the jerky motions, the simple and incredibly limited expressions. In the trailer, they make the EXCUSE, "Animation takes time!" Well, if you don't want criticism, then don't put out a final product that DOESN'T LOOK VERY GOOD.

But really, this all maybe could have been saved by the writing. However, as I said before, it's boring, it's lazy, and it's flat out stifled. We haven't seen ANY of the game they're working on and nothing beside them in their office or playing D&D. There are many instances where a cutaway to one of their mentioned disasters could have been provided and it probably would have made those conversations much more entertaining, but all we hear is "It rerouted to the Pentagon blah blah isn't that funny?"

Lastly, and this is something I really do need to point out: The dog gimmick? God. Awful. No, really, it's one of the worst things about the entire show, honestly. There is absolutely no reason for them to be dogs. It doesn't add to the comedy, it isn't ironic. It's just a way to differentiate yourselves and it fails miserably. A gimmick only serves a purpose when it's adding to the production as a whole. This adds squat.

Honestly, I'd really like to see these actors apply their talents elsewhere and the writers really take their time and come up with something newer, fresher, and tighter. As for the animators, well... I know they're working on a restrained budget and time-frame, so I can only assume that's why the animation looks so... God awful. I'll assume they can do better with the right amount of time and effort.

Oh, and for those who think furries are going to like this because they're dogs? Trust me, we're not all that sycophantic. Not a single furry I call a friend has said this show is any good.
I'll have to say,even though I really don't hate the show that much,you make a good case.
The personalities are inconsistent,the characters are annoying and the show isn't about three toed sloths who make games.

Which makes me wonder why I watch this show at all.Curosity perhaps.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
A couple of weeks ago, some bright spark mentioned that if you skip to 30 seconds, you can bypass the whole annoying intro. Better yet, I found a neat thing where if you skip to the end of the whole episode, you can skip the whole annoying episode.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
oh come off it will you, its an internet series if you don't like it then dont watch it. i keep reading people keep watching it and not liking it. not everyone is gonna like the same thing. being a furry and a nerd and someone who wants to get into game design, i find the subject matter funny. i dont label it 'furry' because people will automatically put it up on a stage where only furries will like it. its just a show, an internet show at at that there is no point writing an essay about it. simply put dont like dont watch, dont ruin for everyone else who actually likes it

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
i like that female dog.
she 's average but still has something very dogystylish

Snapette

Mar 1, 2010
Ziggy the wolf said:
oh come off it will you, its an internet series if you don't like it then dont watch it. i keep reading people keep watching it and not liking it. not everyone is gonna like the same thing. being a furry and a nerd and someone who wants to get into game design, i find the subject matter funny. i dont label it 'furry' because people will automatically put it up on a stage where only furries will like it. its just a show, an internet show at at that there is no point writing an essay about it. simply put dont like dont watch, dont ruin for everyone else who actually likes it
^ Finally, someone with a bit of sense! _._;

gynotikolobomass

Dec 22, 2009
I know ey!
It's like.. I really don't laugh when watching it.
I smile here and there. Sometimes the odd chuckle.
But I am compelled to keep watching because.... I like it!

I'm anxiously waiting for the finished product of Satan's Retrievers (which I must say is a totally awesome name!).

And Bob is always implemented perfectly.

Kudos.
It does seem to get better with each episode.
Still a little confused about Roger's random sword-wielding fits though.

Ooh, and I would love to see a little more character development from Beth.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Dilbert + Furries?

I think this shtick is kinda covered.

That aside, it feels like it was a joke that was supposed to last 30 seconds that got dragged into a few minutes.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Kaiser0120 said:

Alas, I think we have someone wrapping up the commentary here. I can only suffice to concur with the author as such. In regards to furries and a demographic affinity to this show - it is non-existent.

Painstake

Jan 20, 2010
i laughed precisely once this whole episode, and that was when i looked at the tags and saw the word 'yiffpile'

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
"You're goddamned right."

The above is the only thing in this entire series that even made me chuckle. For that I will watch another couple of episodes to see if it gets funnier.

Animation I could care less about, but the characters and jokes make me want to peel my face off sometimes. The boss isn't funny, his rant keeps making me want to scream 'stop it!'.

The girl is very dry, and her demeanor is so flat. These characters need some spice, and a better set of jokes. Too many cliches is ruining any comedy there.

Sorry for the harsh criticism, but I've held my tongue through 9 episodes, I finally cracked.