Game genres you don't understand

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
BallPtPenTheif said:
Horse Race Simulators
Seriously, anybody mind enlightening me to the draw of this genre? Most of you guys are just listing genres you hate. I really don't get Horse Race Simulators.

Portoparty

Feb 27, 2008
The only Genres I dont understand are subgenres... and fighting games...

Pet (or some other stupid thing that gets in the way of "blatant manliness") Simulators: Really? is this what gaming is now?

JRPG: Why do they all carry swords when they so obviously already have an abundment of large spikes sticking out of their head?

Video Game adaptions of boardgames: ...must I say ANYTHING?

Fighting Games: you can either do one of two things. a) you can hit one button (that is usually overpowered) until the other player falls down. b) you can hit the tip of the controller/keyboard/joystick/arcade machine, hitting as many buttons as you can, until either you or your opponent(who is most likely using the same strategy) wins.
Either way, you can NEVER tell, me there is skill involved at ANY point in that genre.

I can also explain MMORPGs to some of you from my experience atleast. MMORPGs aren't for people who love blasting aliens. MMORPGs are for the poor workaholic cubicle dweller that loves to socialize with men in skirts. People who love working hard and being rewarded in even the smallest way are the people who play MMORPGs, because that's what MMORPGs are. A difficult journey to dominance over real players in a way that cant be toppled easily (such as a leaderboard). Also, it's a really good feeling doing something (how ever redundant) and knowing that only a handful of other people are ever going to do what you have done.

edit: Also believe it or not, once you HAVE grinded your way to the end game, MMORPGs actually becomes pretty strategic and quite a blast. Bosses in a raid instance actually require planning and execution to fight.
for an example, there was a fight in the Burning Crusade expansion of WoW called Romeo And Juliett (well actually it was called Opera House but there were three different possible fights within that one) anyways, this fight was unique because while fighting 2 mobs may seem easy, it can become very difficult when you have to kill both of them within seconds of each other, or they will both respawn at full health. basically you have to coordinate how much damage each division of the raid group is doing or you are going to die... really fast.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
hagaya said:
Confusing question. Is it what I don't understand about the genre and what makes it fun? If so: MMOs. Grind, Grind, click, click, red bull, red bull. What is so exiting? I can see how people get sucked into it, but I don't see how they can keep it up when they ask themselves if they really have any fun? Okay so maybe there are a few turn ons to it, but I don't really see what $15 a month can do to justify that.
the social aspect, or the player base. rather than what your doing its who your doing it with (that sounded kinda gay)

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
Spots games. They just keep making the same damn game with a different year slapped on the cover. Whats going to change between Madden 08 and Madden 09? Will there be any new teams? A new play maybe? Will Madden say anything that isn't stating the obviouse? Nope same ol' boring game.

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
OuroborosChoked said:
Gotham Soul said:
The reason why most people play MMORPGs is because of the community within the game and social interaction (remember that part) that the game's mechanics force you to go through. For example, you can get through to the level cap by yourself. But at the end, what then? Raids, group dungeons, things that require real people other than yourself. When you down a big boss or get, quote, "phat lewtz", you killed the boss or got the loot through cooperation and teamwork. Victories are sweetened and defeats softened because you did them with other people.

Just stop for a bit: do you really think that the people who play MMOs would continue playing if those MMORPGs were simply single player games?

And if you missed it, I'm simply clarifying for people why the people who play MMORPGs do what they do. If you don't like it, don't play it.
Rebuttal:

No. Nobody would play MMOs without the "community" aspect, but that doesn't excuse how formulaic they are. Grind X enemy for Y hours to get Z item. Repeat. See where I'm going with this? Community nothwithstanding, you're just repeating the same actions a billion times until you win against that one enemy... and doing that with a bunch of other people practically takes all of the challenge out. "Roger, you cast fireball until you're out of magic power. Steve, you heal everyone and when Roger runs out of MP, you restore that. Mike, Lucy, and I will tank. Hope everyone's had their pee breaks, 'cause we'll be doing this very same thing for the next two hours." Sound familiar MMO players?

Basically, my point is this: instead of ONE stupid person doing the same thing for hours on end with practically no benefit... you have whole BUNCH of stupid people working together, but still doing the same thing for hours on end with practically no benefit.

And you have to PAY TO PLAY MMOs. Most of 'em, anyway... not counting most of the Korean ones. Name me ONE other genre where you have to buy the game... then PAY to play the game you JUST bought... and keep paying for it month after month.

Oh, and the games never END. There's no conclusion to all of this pointless action. It's like Animal Crossing but you have to pay for it.

Finally, regarding your last statement: I don't play MMOs because of the reasons I listed above... but if other people don't care about common sense or just prefer to spend money to hang out with their own friends, let 'em. Just clarifying the non-MMO playing side's opinion.
I think you missed my point. My point wasn't to prove that MMORPGs were the best genre ever, or that they were above other genres. My point was to explain to other users why people play MMORPGs since so many people seemed confused on the issue. So again, why do people play MMORPGs? Community. That's all I said. Granted, I may have written that a bit sloppily, since I'm tired of more specifically the stereotype of MMORPG gamers, so perhaps it's my fault you misinterpreted the post.

Also, breaking the genre to its core gameplay elements is not good criticism. Yes, the staple combat system in all MMORPGs ever made ever is one-click combat and endurance trials. Saying a game in a genre is bad because it does what the genre defines it as is hardly justifiable. I could say the same thing about, say, FPS games. "All you do is use WASD, point your mouse cursor, and click. And you do that for two hours!"

So that's it. All I'm explaining is why people play MMORPGs. I'm not advertising the genre and saying its the most awesomest thing ever, and I'm not criticizing other genres.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Gotham Soul said:
Also, breaking the genre to its core gameplay elements is not good criticism. Yes, the staple combat system in all MMORPGs ever made ever is one-click combat and endurance trials. Saying a game in a genre is bad because it does what the genre defines it as is hardly justifiable. I could say the same thing about, say, FPS games. "All you do is use WASD, point your mouse cursor, and click. And you do that for two hours!"
Seems like we're both misunderstanding each other...

It's funny that you should use the simple controls MMOs have as an example... since I never mentioned the simplicity of the controls as a weak point of the genre. That's what's called a straw man argument... and you follow it up with a bad analogy. MMOs don't compare to FPS games... because FPSes ARE games. The closest analogy I can come up with for MMOs... do you remember what George Jetson did for a living? He pressed one button - once - and that was it for the day. Imagine that, but repeated... with a chat room... and you have to pay to do it. MMOs are work that you have to pay to do.

THAT is what I don't get about MMOs. Any criticism about the lack of challenge or tediousness is just another way of describing that it's just work... that you have to pay to do... with a chat room.

Moloch-De

Apr 10, 2008
To clarify the issue of paying for MMORPG's
It works!
If they would develope a fps with such an potential to suck people in they could think about a monthly fee, but they can't.
I have a friend who is now playing "Lich King" and i'm pretty shure he will finish most quests and all raids way before we know what the title of the next Addon will be; But he can be certain that blizard will provide a new high level challenges along the way so his fees will be rewarded. Plus if an Mmorpg sucks you in you easily spend 100 Hours a month "enyoing" it, everyone who plays fps need to buy many new games each 50$ while he has to pay only 12$ for much more gaming-fun-time.

That said, it is a dangerous thing to play such a game but i don't know how people fail to see the Truckloads of fun involved.

Topic: I would go with simmulated bord/card games as a genere i fail to understand. The entertainmend vallue of board games is direktly proportional to the people you play with/against. When people score zero (i love my pc but his people skills remain zero nervertheless) the entertainmend is zero. Exeption here is chess which is a chalenge but that's only because its without a random element which is featured or core of 95% of such games.

Ps: i have played an mmorpg for a short time but won't play one for the next years, i don't have the time ;)

Edit:
OuroborosChoked said:
THAT is what I don't get about MMOs. Any criticism about the lack of challenge or tediousness is just another way of describing that it's just work... that you have to pay to do... with a chat room.
Try another perspektive: many People love chatrooms, now there is a new one which features a game that is fun to play but dosn't distract you so much that you won't be able to communikate with everyone else. A litte fee to go with it is just reasonable since it is technicaly about 8000% more advanced than the avarage web-chatroom.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
The Admiral said:
Spots games. They just keep making the same damn game with a different year slapped on the cover. Whats going to change between Madden 08 and Madden 09? Will there be any new teams? A new play maybe? Will Madden say anything that isn't stating the obviouse? Nope same ol' boring game.
This, hockey, basketball and baseball included. I like playing hockey yet hate hockey video games- none of them even approach realism (maybe in FPS format when you're controlling one player over a season whom you create and name they might). Such a genre is most popular with a phyla of guys who don't ever play video games anyway. Where they (EA) ever get the money to keep it going is a mystery for the ages.

DreamKing

Aug 14, 2008
I dislike FPS games. I feel dizzy after awhile, with the camera moving all over the place and I hate not knowing what's behind that might try and take a bite out my spine. I never liked using a trigger button as my primary attack button, but that is probably because I grew with a NES.

Retrofraction

Nov 29, 2008
I don't like sport games cause they ushally have no story and are confusing to use.

the only sport game I ever liked was football nes because it was very simple and easy to use.

Insomniactk

Nov 11, 2008
MMORPG, to much running around, nothing happens and it's repetitive. Strategy, if i want to think I play chess with a friend. Racing, repetitive. Sports games, if i want to play football i play it in real life, not with a controller in my hand. Actually i only like FPS games, i play some third person but they're just to kill some time.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
"girls" games. Cooking Mama, I'm looking at you.

Why the hell do they bother? First off the girls get annoyed because gaming is filled with guys, and then they are offered rubbish like that in an effort to gain audience.

Feck's sake, there's a game about friggen cheerleading coming out on the Wii, tell me that's not begging to be tied to a stake and flogged for all it's (not) worth?

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
OuroborosChoked said:
Gotham Soul said:
Seems like we're both misunderstanding each other...

It's funny that you should use the simple controls MMOs have as an example... since I never mentioned the simplicity of the controls as a weak point of the genre. That's what's called a straw man argument... and you follow it up with a bad analogy. MMOs don't compare to FPS games... because FPSes ARE games. The closest analogy I can come up with for MMOs... do you remember what George Jetson did for a living? He pressed one button - once - and that was it for the day. Imagine that, but repeated... with a chat room... and you have to pay to do it. MMOs are work that you have to pay to do.

"Second job." That's bullshit and you know it. Is it really the money issue? God, I have to explain this again...

Let's say I make 20$ a week from allowance. If I only have to save 5$ a week for my game.
If that doesn't make sense to you, it costs the exact same amount to pay for WoW as XBox Live.

I also noticed that you said that FPSs are games and MMORPGs aren't, therefor there is no comparison. A MMORPG is an RPG online. If you don't like RPGs, then there is the core root of your frustration. If it's the online aspect, then you have to get out more and embrace socialization.

EDIT: EVERY GAME IS REPETITIVE! If you want to use the kind of review where you dumb a game down to a phrase/sentence I can do that with every single game.

Fatalis67

Apr 30, 2008
Bocaj2000 said:
Let's say I make 20$ a week from allowance. If I only have to save 5$ a week for my game.
If that doesn't make sense to you, it costs the exact same amount to pay for WoW as XBox Live.
Umm... WoW is $15 a month, XBL is $6 a month.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Fatalis67 said:
Bocaj2000 said:
you're right that was a miscalculation on my part. However, complaining about 15$ a month is still silly in my opinion.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
Bocaj2000 said:
Fatalis67 said:
Bocaj2000 said:
you're right that was a miscalculation on my part. However, complaining about 15$ a month is still silly in my opinion.
Yeah it is, considering most people end up only playing WoW. At least that happened with me...I managed to get off it though.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Wii games... overall they just plain suck.
If you have a head that big you'd expect some brains to be included but they obviously missed that memo.