Game Informer's Top 300 Games

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, since we need something to gripe about, here's the top 300 games list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hlsB-HNh05SpaU0Au6Oh2G-ndpsvXAsOJpv8PFlJp2E/htmlview#gid=0

So, on the subject of griping/seeing how many of them I've played, here's my unasked for opinion:

298) Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (I played a demo, so it counts)

292) Heroes of the Storm (best MOBA ever)

291) Myst (I played a bit of this for a uni research project (long story), so, um, yay)

282) Worms Armageddon (great fun)

273) Star Wars Battlefront (fun, but I'm a bit bemused as to why the Battlefront games are so beloved)

238) Double Dragon (good fun at the time)

217) Sonic the Hedgehog (not the best Sonic game, but it's still fun)

216) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (decent, but easily my least favorite LoZ game that I've played)

207) Call of Duty (played some of this at an Internet cafe, it was fun while it lasted)

203) Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (it's...okay, but I don't get why it's so beloved)

193) Donkey Kong Country (fun, but heck, I'd even put the original Sonic above it)

190) Command and Conquer: Red Alert (pretty decent, but RA2/3 are better)

185) Assassin's Creed (could never get into it)

180) Battlefield 1942 (Battlefield 2 was better, but damn fun game)

168) Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (fun, but of the original trilogy, I liked the second installment the most)

162) Advance Wars (actually my least favorite AW game, but still a lot of fun)

161) Gears of War 2 (best Gears game)

159) Diablo (pretty fun game, great atmosphere)

148) Path of Exile (bleh)

146) Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (hell yes!)

138) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (not my favorite Metal Gear game, but still good)

130) Soul Calibur (SC3 is my favorite SC game, but great game all the same)

128) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (good, but overrated)

127) Final Fantasy X (surprised it's here, or even this high, but still a net positive for me)

118) StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty ("hell, it's about time" (to be included on the list))

113) Metroid Prime (really don't like this game)

111) Dead Space (yep!)

110) Halo 2 (not my favorite Halo game, but still a good one)

95) Doom II (nup!)

92) Metal Gear Solid (Snake, you're right on time)

91) Diablo III (favorite Diablo game, but wouldn't rank it this high)

69) Super Mario 64 (not the biggest Mario fan, but a stellar 3D platformer)

68) GoldenEye 007 (surprised it's this high, but meh, deserves the praise it gets)

65) Halo: Combat Evolved (best Halo game, best FPS)

62) Secret of Mana (first RPG I ever played...for five minutes...on a friend's SNES...couldn't work out what to do and never even picked up the sword...don't judge me!)

61) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16 bit) (probably my #2 Sonic game, so, um, yeah)

59) Resident Evil (really? It's the first RE game, but it's easily one of the weakest in the series, not to mention is completely outsthone by its remake)

56) Mortal Kombat II (fun, but wouldn't rank it this high...and what about MK3?)

51) Grand Theft Auto III (lots of fun)

50) Super Smash Brothers Melee (the title, yelled out loud)

49) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (SNAKE EATER!!!)

42) Fallout 3 (really not my thing)

39) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (yep)

38) StarCraft (like this game, but shouldn't be this high, let alone ranked above SC2)

37) Pokemon Red/Blue (hasn't aged well, but this was crack back in the day)

35) Super Mario Kart (not the best Mario Kart, shouldn't be this high up, but meh, it was fun)

34) Resident Evil 4 (ah, there you go list)

33) Donkey Kong (fun, but apart from historical value, shouldn't be nearly this high)

31) Battlefield 2 (shouldn't be this high up, but best Battlefield game that I've played)

28) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (don't get why it's this high up, or above GTA 3, but, whatever, fine)

27) League of Legends (fun game, even if I like HotS more)

26) Super Mario World (remember what I said about not being a Mario fan? Case in point)

21) Half-Life 2 (GTFO)

20) Super Metroid (good game, but I prefer Zero Mission and Fusion)

19) Mass Effect 2 (played this for about 30 minutes, so, um, yay?)

18) Counter-Strike (fun game, sucked at it, let's move on)

17) Diablo II (this is a good game...that is no fun for me at all to play)

15) BioShock (don't know if it should be this high, but hey, good game)

13) Doom (suppose there's no hope of Doom 3 being on this list now, but hey, good game)

5) World of Warcraft (I get why it's here, just don't enjoy it that much)

3) Tetris (see above, though it's still fun to play. Not my favorite game by any means, but makes sense why it's here)

1) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNjQecyjE8)

So, 62/300, or approx. 20%.

Anyway, that's just me.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:
21) Half-Life 2 (GTFO)

what? its one of few geniounly good game in list.
Nup.

Half-Life 2 is...fine. It's average. It's got good elements, it's got bad elements. But I can't call it "good." It's too flawed for that. And even if it was, I'd still not put it that high.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hawki said:
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:
21) Half-Life 2 (GTFO)

what? its one of few geniounly good game in list.
Nup.

Half-Life 2 is...fine. It's average. It's got good elements, it's got bad elements. But I can't call it "good." It's too flawed for that. And even if it was, I'd still not put it that high.
the level design? the pacing? the story? the gravity gun??

Half life 2 was freakin masterpiece. did you played the PC version or a console version?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
B-Cell said:
the level design?
Good in terms of aesthetics, average in terms of mechanics.

B-Cell said:
the pacing?
Not well done. HL2 has a very stop-start feel. This primarily comes down to its mechanics, as it wants to be both a shooter and a puzzle game. The pacing of both clash tremendously. One moment you're going down a canal at high speed, the next you're staying in one place doing a physics puzzle. The two styles don't mesh well at all.

B-Cell said:
the story?
Nothing that special.

HL2 tells its story in an interesting way, I'll give it that much, but the actual plot is pretty basic. Breen is a very good character, but the rest of them...aren't.

B-Cell said:
the gravity gun??
Kind of a chore to use.

Oh, there's some fun to be had in blasting things around with it initially, but there's no reason to use it until the very end where you're forced to, and when that happens, you're basically forced to soak bullets while grabbing Combine soldiers. It's not fun. It's a gimmick. A gimmick that has merit, but a gimmick nonetheless.

B-Cell said:
Half life 2 was freakin masterpiece.
Disagree.

B-Cell said:
did you played the PC version or a console version?
Console. But I don't see how that's relavant. At the most, the PC would give me better control over the cursor/aiming. It wouldn't solve the problems I have with the pacing, or the characters, or the mechanics, or the plot, or anything along those lines.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
This list is interesting. Not because I necessarily agree with it, but because of where certain games are placed. There's plenty of usual suspects in the top, but also some oddities.

Ms Pacman (11) and Galaga (22) usually don't end up that high on 'top x of all time' lists. In Galaga's case, it might not be included at all. A mainstay like Ocarina of Time most often easily breaks into the top 20, but here comes in at 39. Super Mario 64 is not even in the top 50 (it's at 69).

Quite a few high-profile games that are considered classics are in very different spots than is generally the norm for lists like these. Makes me wonder on what basis the list is formulated.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well that done sure is a list.

Given that's its absent any context or reasoning behind it, it may as well have been made by feeding a bunch of video game titles into a randomizer though.

In the top 30, you'd need to supply some version data on Minecraft, WoW, GTA V, Overwatch ,League, and AC 2. That's some significantly varied games depending on which version you played (and noticably, they do specifically use Street Fighter 2 Turbo)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I feel like this is less a 'top list' and more of a 'games we have in our inventory and hope you fuckers buy'.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Game Informer was always full of crap. They haven't written a good thing since 2003. I can already tell that their list is full of crap. It sucks that they're the only Gaming magazine left, for physical publication. I miss others like one up and electronic gaming monthly. They have people who knew how to actually write and review games.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Given that one of them didn't even have the title or release date right, I'm inclined to take this list with a grain of salt.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
Putting games like Half Life, old Mario/Zelda titles, original Doom etc. near the top of a "best games ever" list is the equivalent of putting Citizen Kane on a "best movies ever" list.
Hardly anyone agrees with that but you have to do it because you have to do it.
Groundbreaking =/= best.

This list is a little different than most but it also falls into the "I have to put this on here or there will be complaints" trap.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Vanilla ISIS said:
Putting games like Half Life, old Mario/Zelda titles, original Doom etc. near the top of a "best games ever" list is the equivalent of putting Citizen Kane on a "best movies ever" list.
Hardly anyone agrees with that but you have to do it because you have to do it.
Groundbreaking =/= best.

This list is a little different than most but it also falls into the "I have to put this on here or there will be complaints" trap.
"Best of their time" sounds better contextualized? There is also the classic "been there, done that, and it was better the first time" that end up making genres feel stagnant.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Chimpzy said:
Quite a few high-profile games that are considered classics are in very different spots than is generally the norm for lists like these. Makes me wonder on what basis the list is formulated.
It was user-submitted.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Hawki said:
Chimpzy said:
It was user-submitted.

Aug 31, 2012
well, here you go, my opinions on all I've played.

288 Duke Nukem 3D. Meh, never got on with pre Goldeneye FPS
286 Shadowrun Returns. Nice proof of concept, felt very short, good atmosphere.
282 Worms Armageddon. Preferred worms
274 Saints Row: The Third. Fun
272 Ridge Racer. Classic arcade racer
255 Company of Heroes. Good, innovative, but I suck at the multiplayer.
252 Neverwinter Nights. Only Bioware game I've ever liked. One of my favourite RPGs.
247 Tekken 3. Was good, but I remember Tekken 2 more
245 Space Invaders. It's Space Invaders
238 Double Dragon. Didn't play much, too long ago to comment effectively.
207 Call of Duty. Feels clunky to me now, but was great.
188 Medieval II: Total War. Still Love this, another all time favourite.
181 Super Mario Bros. 2. Didn't play much, too long ago to comment effectively.
180 Battlefield 1942. Eh, multiplayer not really my thing.
178 Asteroids. Didn't play much, too long ago to comment effectively.
174 Left 4 Dead. Eh, multiplayer not really my thing.
171 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Favourite Elder Scrolls game
156 Tomb Raider. Meh, didn't like it.
155 Fallout: New Vegas. Favourite RPG of all time, just beats it's predecessor.
144 Pac-Man. It's Pac Man
141 Dragon Age: Origins. Very uninteresting. Combat was a slog.
136 Pong. It's Pong
130 Soul Calibur. Good fighter
121 Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec. May have been GT2, can't really remember. Was decent enough.
111 Dead Space. Meh
103 Half-Life. Felt far too oldschool by the time I played it.
101 Star Wars: X-Wing. Nice, still feels pretty decent today.
96 Frogger. It's Frogger
90 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Meh, was never keen on GTA series, gave up very quickly.
81 Fallout. Nah, never got on with those isometric RPGs.
80 Final Fantasy VII. Can fuck off
78 Borderlands 2. Love the aesthetic and setting etc, wish it was more RPG esque.
68 Goldeneye 007. So much time spent playing this, first FPS that I enjoyed.
67 Deus Ex. Played a bit too late and on PS2.
62 Secret of Mana. Liked it at the time, probably the first CRPG I ever played
59 Resident Evil. Such delicious cheese.
55 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Eh, Bioware.
51 Grand Theft Auto III. Meh, was never keen on GTA series, gave up very quickly.
42 Fallout 3. Just beaten out by FO:NV for favourite RPG of all time.
34 Resident Evil 4. First appearance of Salazar caused me to quit. Was just too ridiculous.
33 Donkey Kong. It's Donkey Kong
26 Super Mario World. Didn't play much, too long ago to comment effectively.
24 Civilization IV. My favourite game of all time.
14 Super Street Fighter II Turbo. It's fuckin' Streetfighter. Played it on my old SNES at xmas. Still fantastic.
13 Doom. Meh, never got on with pre Goldeneye FPS
12 Minecraft. Only really fun with friends
9 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Good, but didn't like the viking theme.
7 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Good, but was going off FPS by that time.
4 Grand Theft Auto V. Great, I just wish the multiplayer wasn't full of such cunts, means it's only really fun with friends
3 Tetris. It's Tetris

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Nethack isn't even on it, the list is invalid.

Edit: And Paper Mario is on it but not The Thousand Year Door? Something is very wrong with this list.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Zykon TheLich said:
282 Worms Armageddon. Preferred worms
Curious. Care to explain why?
Zykon TheLich said:
62 Secret of Mana. Liked it at the time, probably the first CRPG I ever played
Isn't that JRPG?