Game mechanics you're glad have (virtually) died.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One hit kills in general. This is to the Japanese developers especially. Most likely a boss has some type of one hit kill, that is no way easily telegraphed and it's meant to trick and catch first time players. Shinji Mikami is guilty of this especially. I hope this new game has a lot less of that bull crap. Because the first Evil Within has this problem. Or worse yet, create a boss where nearly every attack is a one hit kill. It's bullcrap difficulty, and it makes me want to play the game less. I don't care what the story justifications are for it.

So the best game mechanic to have died is the starting over from the beginning mechanic.
Not necessarily. There are some games that still have this, but it's usually as optional difficulty.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
One hit kills in general. This is to the Japanese developers especially. Most likely a boss has some type of one hit kill, that is no way easily telegraphed and it's meant to trick and catch first time players. Shinji Mikami is guilty of this especially. I hope this new game has a lot less of that bull crap. Because the first Evil Within then have this problem. Or worse yet, create a boss where nearly every attack is a one hit kill. It's bullcrap difficulty, and it makes me want to play the game less. I don't care what the story justifications are for it.

Not necessarily. There are some games that still have this, but it's usually as optional difficulty.
I don't mind it in all cases, so long as it's telegraphed clearly. Like how you know that when Bad Girl falls to the ground and starts crying that you get the hell away from her until she stops.

There were also a few bosses in the game Bomberman 64: The Second Attack that had instant kill moves too but in all cases it has a clear windup and so long as you don't freak out then you won't get hit by them. The one exception being Bulzeeb/Regulus, and his Darkness Bomb that creates a chasing blackhole which can also instant kill you. But Regulus is kind of an ass like that.

Totally agree though that Instant KOs are more often bullshit though. Just some instances I think handle it ok.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't mind it in all cases, so long as it's telegraphed clearly. Like how you know that when Bad Girl falls to the ground and starts crying that you get the hell away from her until she stops.

There were also a few bosses in the game Bomberman 64: The Second Attack that had instant kill moves too but in all cases it has a clear windup and so long as you don't freak out then you won't get hit by them. The one exception being Bulzeeb/Regulus, and his Darkness Bomb that creates a chasing blackhole which can also instant kill you. But Regulus is kind of an ass like that.

Totally agree though that Instant KOs are more often bullshit though. Just some instances I think handle it ok.
At least Bad Girl makes sense. The same thing with Henry's instant kill move, which is basically Dante's Stinger. Or Omaha's insta kill lasers in the third game. I can't speak for the second Bomberman 64 game, as I barely even remember playing it. I rented both games back in the day, but don't remember much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
At least Bad Girl makes sense. The same thing with Henry's instant kill move, which is basically Dantey Stinger. Or Omaha's insta kill lasers in the third game. I can't speak for the second Bomberman 64 game, as I barely even remember playing it. I rented it both games back in the day, but don't remember much.
Second Attack is a really fun game but there's admittedly quite a few janky elements in it and can be really hard for a kid. I imagine you don't remember much because you got to a point where the game pissed you off with a BS death and, unlike me who's a masochist, said "Nah" and returned it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Second Attack is a really fun game but there's admittedly quite a few janky elements in it and can be really hard for a kid. I imagine you don't remember much because you got to a point where the game pissed you off with a BS death and, unlike me who's a masochist, said "Nah" and returned it.
The first game I rented and beat it. I barely got that far into the second game, but never came back to it. Got distracted by other stuff.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
One hit kills in general. This is to the Japanese developers especially. Most likely a boss has some type of one hit kill, that is no way easily telegraphed and it's meant to trick and catch first time players. Shinji Mikami is guilty of this especially. I hope this new game has a lot less of that bull crap. Because the first Evil Within then have this problem. Or worse yet, create a boss where nearly every attack is a one hit kill. It's bullcrap difficulty, and it makes me want to play the game less. I don't care what the story justifications are for it.

I didn't mind it in Katana Zero because the entire game was built around everyone dies from a one hit kill(you and the enemies) and the fact you reset the level almost instantly when you do die(and you will...a lot). The only exceptions are the bosses though it's handwaved as them parrying your blows.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't mind it in Katana Zero because the entire game was built around everyone dies from a one hit kill(you and the enemies) and the fact you reset the level almost instantly when you do die(and you will...a lot). The only exceptions are the bosses though it's handwaved as them parrying your blows.
Games like that, Hotline Miami, and Hong Kong Massacre I don't have a problem with. Classic shmup as well. They're built around it. I'm talking about games with clear health parameters. Games where most things don't kill you one hits, and everyone has some type of health pool or bar, or shows damage.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Games like that, Hotline Miami, and Hong Kong Massacre I don't have a problem with. Classic shmup as well. They're built around it. I'm talking about games with clear health parameters. Games where most things don't kill you one hits, and everyone has some type of health pool or bar, or shows damage.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to play the "But this exception...." game. It just popped to mind.

I was still on my first cup of coffee when I wrote that :)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its not dead, but definitely dying from bloat and rot, but Souls-like games. As much as I don't like Dark Souls 1, I liked Dark Souls 3 and loved Bloodborne. And FromSoftware just does it better than anyone else.
To me other Souls clones took the basic principle, they're difficult games, and just ran with that as if its the only thing needed. So many Souls clones are just hard games, without the lore, the look, the feel, the characters or weapon variety. And it feels lazy. Just ramp up the enemy health or ramp down the player health, boom, it is now a masterpiece like Dark Souls 3.
I find it funny that after 2 years we're still getting Souls type games, just of different flavors and varieties. Now a good amount of them are either taking from Bloodborne, Ni-Oh, Sekiro, or all the above.

I am glad control customization became an industry standard later on by the mid to late 6th gen era, and most followed suit by the seventh generation. Before that point, any game varied: some would do them, and many others wouldn't. Games on all 16-bit platforms were guilty of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentPony

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I find it funny that after 2 years we're still getting Souls type games, just a different flavors and varieties. Now a good amount of them are either taking from Bloodborne, Ni-Oh, Sekiro, or all the above.
Considering how well Elden Ring did, I would expect to see a lot more of them also.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Considering how well Elden Ring did, I would expect to see a lot more of them also.
This 100%. I was hesitant on Elden Ring, as open world is the death knell of a franchise, and while I do think between Dark Souls 3, BloodBorne and Elden Ring its the weakest, its still amazing. The open world is a problem in a lot of ways, and some of the laziness in the repeat bosses is disheartening, but damn if the actual gameplay and controls aren't the best FromSoftware has done.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This 100%. I was hesitant on Elden Ring, as open world is the death knell of a franchise, and while I do think between Dark Souls 3, BloodBorne and Elden Ring its the weakest, its still amazing. The open world is a problem in a lot of ways, and some of the laziness in the repeat bosses is disheartening, but damn if the actual gameplay and controls aren't the best FromSoftware has done.
I think, personally I like Darksouls 3 a bit more then Elden Ring, but you are right about open world. Elden Ring is the best open world has been, but there is something to say about a more linier but finely crafted path... Although, Elden Ring does it damn well. Haven't played BloodBorne, keep hoping it comes to steam eventually.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think, personally I like Darksouls 3 a bit more then Elden Ring, but you are right about open world. Elden Ring is the best open world has been, but there is something to say about a more linier but finely crafted path... Although, Elden Ring does it damn well. Haven't played BloodBorne, keep hoping it comes to steam eventually.
Assuming you played it, what did you think of Sekiro?

In some ways I’d consider it and ER my favorite FROM games, being that they tackle nearly opposite ends of their design spectrum with aplomb, depending on what I’m in the mood for.

In terms of a happy medium though, yeah I’d still go with Bloodborne or DS3.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Assuming you played it, what did you think of Sekiro?

In some ways I’d consider it and ER my favorite FROM games, being that they tackle nearly opposite ends of their design spectrum with aplomb, depending on what I’m in the mood for.

In terms of a happy medium though, yeah I’d still go with Bloodborne or DS3.
I quite liked it, I would rate it higher then DS but not quite as good as D3 or ER. I liked how it could have a more complete story since your character was more of a character in it, rather then someone just moving through the world. Having the same main weapon through Sekiro was kinda annoying, but the parry system was really cool, especially once you got used to it, but it made bosses that wanted you to run around like a Dark Souls character, I'm looking at you, you damn undead monkey and rage demon piece of shit, that much harder since you needed to unlearn the slower more methodical combat you had been using.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
May already have mentioned this but it occurred to me when I was walking to the car the other day. Everquest, where the blind spell hid your entire UI as well as the player's view. Am I taking damage? I don't know, I'm too blind to feel stab wounds!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
May already have mentioned this but it occurred to me when I was walking to the car the other day. Everquest, where the blind spell hid your entire UI as well as the player's view. Am I taking damage? I don't know, I'm too blind to feel stab wounds!
Wow, that was a thing? I can't think of any game I've played where a status effect made your UI disappear.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Wow, that was a thing? I can't think of any game I've played where a status effect made your UI disappear.
Off the top of my head, I know in Deus Ex one particular plot event will make your UI glitch like crazy forcing highly encouraging you to go get a hotfix at a nearby cyberclinic.

It's revealed at the start of the next boss fight this was part of the bad guys plan because the hotfix patch allowed the boss to fuck with your UI even more when he's trying to kill you. This is avoided if you didn't go to the clinic like you're encouraged to

And apparently if you play Alien Isolation on the hardest difficulty mode your motion tracker is very unreliable and glitchy, but that's part of of the difficulty mode and probably not applicable. I do like the idea regardless.