Game of the Half Year

Agent Cross

Died And Got Better
Jan 3, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Mass Effect 3 and Journey.

ME3 was a fantastic game with a shit ending (which it still is), and Journey was one of the most emotionally exhilarating games I've ever played which immediately vaporized my anger toward the ME3 ending.
This.

Except I enjoyed ME3 all the way through. And Journey... Well... Damn man. I cannot explain the emotional experience I got from that game.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Either Silent Hill Downpour or the Silent Hill HD Collection because I just love Silent Hill... I'm noticing a trend here but Mass Effect 3 was great but the combat and exploration grew tiresome around 3 quarters of the way through and the characters were just generally not as good as those in ME2... In my opinion!

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Mass Effect 3 is the only thing I loved this year, apart from THOSE five minutes. Yeah, I'm pretty original. Risen 2 was also pretty sweet. I'd actually played the first game, and this solved most of the issues I had with that. It's also the most refreshing game I've played this year, being an RPG in a non-Tolkienesque and non-scifi world for once.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
mass effect 3 -minus the ending - It was an amazing emotional rollercoaster I teared up a lot And if not for the ending would have made my top ten games of all time

Thats the only game I have bought that came out this year nothing else has interesed me -been a crap year so far for games-

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
For me the best games so far have to be:

Firstly: Mass Effect 3-- Love the story sans old endings-- I live in Europe ffs I get my extended cut tomorrow.
Secondly: Max Payne 3-- Haven't played any other Max Payne's but I totally love the gameplay especially the slow motion dives and the mission you get chased by the Mob.
Thirdly: I guess SoulCalibur 5 but it was a sort of meh experience. The best SoulCalibur game I played was SoulCalibur 3 where there was a point in creating characters i.e Campaign Mode. That Campaign just made it so much sweeter unlocking the original character's styles. Oh and also the individual character story were more varied and in-depth than fight 5 enemies in a row for no reason then kill UBERBOZZ.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I think Diablo III and ME3 are the only games released this year that I've bought.
Gonna have to go with ME3 anyways, since Blizzard really dropped the ball with D3.

I hate them. :(

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Well for me it would have to be:

Mass Effect 3
The Walking Dead
Diablo III

So, like a lot of other posters.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
The Madman said:
Crusader Kings 2. It's my favourite new strategy game to come out in years and it absolutely nails what it set out to do: Simulate the politics, backstabbing, conflict and personal relations of the era. It's also one of the most smooth new releases I've played in quite some time as well, I've yet to have experience a bug, crash or even any issue at all in around 70 hours of play to date. Brilliant game.
Agreed! Crusader Kings II is one of the best Paradox games yet.

In no other game can you win by slaughtering several of your own children or marrying your first cousin. I'm currently playing as House Jimena, ruling Aragon and Navarre under one crown. I've had to become a monstrous tyrant just to keep my dynasty and realm intact. It really pushes the frontiers of political intrigue.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DayZ. (Read my review [a
href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.379991-Woodsey-Weviews-DayZ]here[/a], because shameless self-promotion!)

Also: Mass Effect 3. There's a fantastic atmosphere running through that game. I loved it, on the whole.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Diablo 3. People give that game so much unwarranted shit even though it does exactly what it set out to do.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
MammothBlade said:
The Madman said:
Crusader Kings 2. It's my favourite new strategy game to come out in years and it absolutely nails what it set out to do: Simulate the politics, backstabbing, conflict and personal relations of the era. It's also one of the most smooth new releases I've played in quite some time as well, I've yet to have experience a bug, crash or even any issue at all in around 70 hours of play to date. Brilliant game.
Agreed! Crusader Kings II is one of the best Paradox games yet.

In no other game can you win by slaughtering several of your own children or marrying your first cousin. I'm currently playing as House Jimena, ruling Aragon and Navarre under one crown. I've had to become a monstrous tyrant just to keep my dynasty and realm intact. It really pushes the frontiers of political intrigue.
Coming back to mini-necro this thread now that I've actually played Crusader Kings II to say...

Well everything above. So much of all this. Maybe I'm just in a honeymoon phase, but this game is ridiculously addicting. The stories you get from this game...

This is the game where my daughter killed my son, but afterwards I didn't dare avenge him because I needed to eventually become that daughter in order to continue my dynasty.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
While some say Mass Effect 3....

This:

OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS FUN.

Its like Shining Force but with Pokemon in it. Its perfect! Its challenging! And the tutorial is only the first 3 battles, after that your pretty much fucked if your not smart! I might even put it in my top 10!

The only thing is that the music does drag on a bit but I've only just taken control of the electric castle so I have a long way to go.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Tough one so I'll list my top three and pick one at a later date (or so the theory goes) - in no particular order;

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
The Walking Dead
Tribes: Ascend

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Max Payne 3. I raged a bit at the annoying hit boxes(Max's hit boxes, getting shot randomly in the head and being killed was rather annoying.) But other than that I really enjoyed it and it was a rather memorable experience. Especially on the air port level and the music starts playing. Max Payne is a badass and you feel like him. And you get to shoot guidos, what more could a man possibly want out of a game?