Game of the Year 2011

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Ahhhh...no Call of Duty in sight...

Seriously though, that game was pretty much the Transformers 3 of video games. No way should it ever be nominated for anything, except whatever the games industry has that equates to the Golden Raspberry's.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
leet_x1337 said:
Before I opened the article, I just knew you were going to keep praising Skyrim as the best game ever made, despite its numerous flaws (among them not one but two bad ports and the bugs in all three versions.) Either I'm psychic or every single game critic ever thinks that Plan 9 from Outer Space couldn't possibly be a better movie.
Because Azura forbid that a game has flaws! What's your favourite game, by the way, so we can poke a million and one holes in that? OK, fine. You hate it. Well done, your opinion is obviously better than everyone else's. Have a bloody sticker.
Guess what? Skryim is so praised by everyone there's no way future historians will see it the same way as the gaming press and critics these days. Just like Duke Nukem Forever was panned mostly due to 12 years of excessive media-generated hype and didn't hold up, Skyrim won't hold up in future generations due to the excessive fan- and critic-generated hype right now.

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
The fact that Portal 2 only got a "special mention" totally destroyed any credibility this article had.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
I honestly haven't played most of these games - been too busy with my backlog this year, as well as a bunch of other old games I bought new - but of the ones I've played, I agree entirely. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a very worthy sequel to the original, with the advantage of an actually good storyline this time round, and Portal 2 was very similar, in that it somehow lived up to the first. Skyrim was... well, bloody Skyrim - but I'm an Elder Scrolls fanboy anyway, so my vision may be warped a bit - and MineCraft is a fun game, even if it lost its appeal for me.
leet_x1337 said:
Before I opened the article, I just knew you were going to keep praising Skyrim as the best game ever made, despite its numerous flaws (among them not one but two bad ports and the bugs in all three versions.) Either I'm psychic or every single game critic ever thinks that Plan 9 from Outer Space couldn't possibly be a better movie.
Because Azura forbid that a game has flaws! What's your favourite game, by the way, so we can poke a million and one holes in that? OK, fine. You hate it. Well done, your opinion is obviously better than everyone else's. Have a bloody sticker.
Having a game-breaking issue on the PS3 is more than a nitpick.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Skyrim won...
Nothing this year got anywhere near the amount of praise and hype as Skyrim, to me a GOTY title isn't necessarily the best game made that year, it's the game that [I[characterizes[/I] that year, and honestly, I can't really think of a game that coloured our view of 2011 quite like Skyrim.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
leet_x1337 said:
SirBryghtside said:
leet_x1337 said:
Guess what? Skryim is so praised by everyone there's no way future historians will see it the same way as the gaming press and critics these days. Just like Duke Nukem Forever was panned mostly due to 12 years of excessive media-generated hype and didn't hold up, Skyrim won't hold up in future generations due to the excessive fan- and critic-generated hype right now.
There are two possible ways Skyrim could be remembered - as Oblivion, a game released to hype that outweighed its quality... or as Morrowind, a game whose other quality overcame its somewhat fiddly nature.

The fact of the matter is that Skyrim came out in very good condition. PS3 slowdown bugs aside, the bugs-per-hour in Skyrim is comparable to many other high-profile games (Red Dead Redemption comes to mind), and the value of the game far outweighs its flaws. It will not be remembered for its flaws, soon modded and patched to Oblivion; rather, it will be remembered for its coherence of vision, its audacity of achievement. And this, despite your pessimism, is More a win(d) for the future of gaming than a perfect, smaller game could ever be.

For all mediums are borne forwards on imperfect works, works which stretch beyond their reach, sometimes failing, but all the more beautiful for it when they succeed. Why should gaming be different? Why should games like Skyrim be weighed down by (exaggerated accounts of) bugs and flaws when they have a chance to carry the medium to a brighter tomorrow?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
omicron1 said:
leet_x1337 said:
SirBryghtside said:
leet_x1337 said:
There are two possible ways Skyrim could be remembered - as Oblivion, a game released to hype that outweighed its quality... or as Morrowind, a game whose other quality overcame its somewhat fiddly nature.

The fact of the matter is that Skyrim came out in very good condition. PS3 slowdown bugs aside, the bugs-per-hour in Skyrim is comparable to many other high-profile games (Red Dead Redemption comes to mind), and the value of the game far outweighs its flaws. It will not be remembered for its flaws, soon modded and patched to Oblivion; rather, it will be remembered for its coherence of vision, its audacity of achievement. And this, despite your pessimism, is More a win(d) for the future of gaming than a perfect, smaller game could ever be.

For all mediums are borne forwards on imperfect works, works which stretch beyond their reach, sometimes failing, but all the more beautiful for it when they succeed. Why should gaming be different? Why should games like Skyrim be weighed down by (exaggerated accounts of) bugs and flaws when they have a chance to carry the medium to a brighter tomorrow?
Nice post there, Shakespeare. Here's the thing: you misunderstood me.

Games are allowed to have flaws, even major flaws. I wasn't saying otherwise. Hell, Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games ever, despite the amount of sodding trial and error. Thing is, with everyone glossing over Skyrim's flaws, people will come to expect that it's a flawless game, and it's not what they'll get. It's what happened to Duke Nukem Forever last year: twelve years of hype for a game that hardly delivered on any of it.

Besides, major flaws ought to at least take a whole point off a game rated out of ten. Mirror's Edge caught that for its trial and error, Serious Sam 3 for its lack of changes from the original, so why is Skyrim's inability to run on most PS3s, the fact that patches made it worse and that "necessary" mods can't be used by two-thirds of its players being glossed over?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Assassin Xaero said:
This is the reason why I never cared much for GOTY awards popularity contests. Dragon Age 2, the sequel to the worst game I ever had to force myself to finish (which from play the demo and what I've heard, DA2 is even worse than DA:O) gets "honorable mention", while my three favorite games of the year (Rage, Duke Nukem Forever, and Bulletstorm) are no where on the list. Oh well, not like the awards make the games better or anything, I still get to have my fun with games that I actually enjoy.

Surely you jest! Greg Tito, the one who reviewed it for this site and the one who put it up as the first item on the first page reckons that it's the Pinnacle of RPG's!

Ok, You must be kidding. DN:F was never going to make a GOTY list, ever. Given it's 14 year development time and it's lack of magical powers, it's a failure on every single level of gaming.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm sad. I haven't played most of those games, but I really want to and have many of them on my computer ready to be played. Damn you backlog! Will you never shrink?!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
leet_x1337 said:
omicron1 said:
leet_x1337 said:
SirBryghtside said:
leet_x1337 said:

Games are allowed to have flaws, even major flaws. I wasn't saying otherwise. Hell, Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games ever, despite the amount of sodding trial and error. Thing is, with everyone glossing over Skyrim's flaws, people will come to expect that it's a flawless game, and it's not what they'll get. It's what happened to Duke Nukem Forever last year: twelve years of hype for a game that hardly delivered on any of it.

Besides, major flaws ought to at least take a whole point off a game rated out of ten. Mirror's Edge caught that for its trial and error, Serious Sam 3 for its lack of changes from the original, so why is Skyrim's inability to run on most PS3s, the fact that patches made it worse and that "necessary" mods can't be used by two-thirds of its players being glossed over?
Skyrim's bugs aren't being glossed over. You seem to take exception to its winning game of the year, somehow believing that its bugs disqualify it... but you miss something important: It wins game of the year despite its bugs. Skyrim, with its bugs taken into account, is still the best game out there this year for a great many people.
Yes, the PS3 has issues right now. Bethsoft has been vetted on this point and it appears they did not pull a Kerberos - they did not realize the extent of this issue; they did not shove an unfinished product out the door intentionally. And even taking the PS3 into account, it's still the best game this year on at least 2/3 of the major platforms.

As an additional point, why are you complaining about mods? Skyrim is rated on its current potential, not its future potential. The PC build will get mods, but there are no mods necessary for play, and Skyrim wins GOTY based on its modless state. Mods will, however, transform Skyrim from its current excellent self into the biggest thing running on PC for the next four or so years straight. This is one of the main selling points for the PC, and I don't see how you can justify complaining that the closed-system consoles won't get the mods. That's the bloody point.

Look, I am approaching this whole thing from the viewpoint of a programmer. I know exactly how hard it is to weed every bug out of a simple calculator, let alone a game, let alone this game. And quite frankly, they deserve a pass, and a huge pat on the back for making it as far as they did. Same with the patching process - when you have to put out new code every few weeks, things sometimes slip. In all likelihood, the single big case of degradation everyone noted - backwards dragons - was a simple result of a last-minute change before the thing went out the door. What you seem to be missing is that patching is even more of an iterative process than development, somewhat equivalent to getting the wrinkles out of a bedsheed - each tug gets some, but causes others, and it takes many tugs before the thing is perfectly smooth.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I think you made some excellent choices. Listed a lot of good games. There quite a few I haven't played but have been meaning to. Damn 2 jobs.

I'm glad to see that there's more then a handful of people who liked DA2. [a href=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]It was a different animal[/a] compared to the first. Still a good game.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
This was too predictable, and why wasn't Batman: AC a nominee? Skyrim was great though, but I personally preferred other games, such as Batman, Deus Ex, Saints Row 3, Gears 3, Rage, Bulletstorm, Driver: San Francisco... O.k there were a lot of games I preferred to Skyrim, but Skyrim was still great. Skyrim was a pretty popular choice by people for game of the year, so I can see why it was number 1.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
omicron1 said:
leet_x1337 said:
omicron1 said:
leet_x1337 said:
SirBryghtside said:
leet_x1337 said:

Skyrim's bugs aren't being glossed over. You seem to take exception to its winning game of the year, somehow believing that its bugs disqualify it... but you miss something important: It wins game of the year despite its bugs. Skyrim, with its bugs taken into account, is still the best game out there this year for a great many people.
Yes, the PS3 has issues right now. Bethsoft has been vetted on this point and it appears they did not pull a Kerberos - they did not realize the extent of this issue; they did not shove an unfinished product out the door intentionally. And even taking the PS3 into account, it's still the best game this year on at least 2/3 of the major platforms.

As an additional point, why are you complaining about mods? Skyrim is rated on its current potential, not its future potential. The PC build will get mods, but there are no mods necessary for play, and Skyrim wins GOTY based on its modless state. Mods will, however, transform Skyrim from its current excellent self into the biggest thing running on PC for the next four or so years straight. This is one of the main selling points for the PC, and I don't see how you can justify complaining that the closed-system consoles won't get the mods. That's the bloody point.

Look, I am approaching this whole thing from the viewpoint of a programmer. I know exactly how hard it is to weed every bug out of a simple calculator, let alone a game, let alone this game. And quite frankly, they deserve a pass, and a huge pat on the back for making it as far as they did. Same with the patching process - when you have to put out new code every few weeks, things sometimes slip. In all likelihood, the single big case of degradation everyone noted - backwards dragons - was a simple result of a last-minute change before the thing went out the door. What you seem to be missing is that patching is even more of an iterative process than development, somewhat equivalent to getting the wrinkles out of a bedsheed - each tug gets some, but causes others, and it takes many tugs before the thing is perfectly smooth.
Here's the thing about the bugs: Bethesda have been doing this for, what, 18 years now? 19? Even though their games are bloody huge, you'd think they'd have enough experience with bloody huge games to not still be leaving bugs in a lot of the nooks and crannies. Like a hotel maid who's been making beds all her life, but still leaves creases, borrowing your metaphor for a bit. In that case, she's probably pretty old and short-sighted, but means well and the hotel has large beds that a lot of people find comfortable, so they have enough money to keep her on their staff.

I'll give Skyrim points for being big and ambitious, but nowhere near as many as Oblivion - it was made to a spec of consoles that was only just being released, and Skyrim's design doc (as far as I can see) was "take Oblivion and make it into the game the fans also made it into several years earlier." I can also see your position of Skyrim being GOTY despite its flaws - thing is, a lot of people (mostly fans) prefer to pretend they aren't there. Period. If you had any issues with the game, your PC must not be up to spec, your console is modded and that's having adverse effects, etc. I suppose it's the fans who overhype the game to future historians that are really doing it in more than the large magazines calling it their game of the year. Like I said, Duke Nukem Forever had that effect on current "historians."

I'm already probably going to hate the game when my package from New Zealand finally arrives, again most likely more the fault of the hype than the game in a vacuum. And just like Oblivion before it, I've only ever heard unconditional praise or absolute hatred about the game and I don't except to fall straight in the middle. Just like Oblivion before it, though, I'll still give the game applause for trying, and lament the fact that I can't enjoy the same games you do. For now, it's probably safer for me to keep having a low expectation:

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Skyrim wins. Is anyone really surprised?

I'd rather have seen Portal 2 or Skyward Sword win the top spot. Skyrim is good, just not as great as it was hyped up to be.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I'm screaming "Portal 2" and "Minecraft" at my computer screen right now. I will remain calm and collected while typing this, so not to come off as a douche.

I frankly disagree with your opinion that Skyrim is the best game of the year. While I found it quite enjoyable, I did enjoy the other two titles above more. I'm glad you guys took the high road and actually mentioned Portal 2 and Minecraft as opposed to other sites... *cough* GAMEFAQS *cough* Excuse me. But, it must still be said that Portal 2 managed to take a small game and expand it into something worthy of 60 bucks and Minecraft was able to engage millions of gamers through the work of just one man. Yes, minecraft has several people on the team now, but it started and became popular with just one guy working on it. Those are quite impressive achievements.

Now I have to stop typing before my inner nerd rages out and...... WHY THE FUCK ISN'T MINECRAFT NUMBER ONE... *slap* *smack* *duct-tape* *facedesk* Sorry. I didn't mean for that to break out.

Have a nice day.

GRRRRR

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i almost got a tear in my eye to see Shogun 2 Total War making it to the list. the rts games get no love in this day in age.

Great list overall. And skyrim getting top honor is no surprise :D

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
hmmmm, skyrim was a good choice in my opinion, with a few mods, it has become my favourite game of this year, bit disapointed that portal 2, witcher 2 and batman:AC weren't nominees as they were far above anything else I played this year. I personally preferred those 3 to Deus Ex, which failed to wow me, Minecraft, which I have gone off since it came out due to lack of change or updates from the pre-release versions, and shogun 2, which again was a good game, but failed in holding my interest long enough to finish a campaign. I havn't played any of the others in the nominee list due to not owning any of the consoles, doesn't feel right to shell out £200 for outdated tech (I'm a bit of a tech junkie, and I enjoy messing about with my pc as much as skyrim<)

Edit: After a second look I forgot about bastion, I just never got round to buying it... Also the rest of the list I agree with, especially the SW:TOR, you can't really judge an mmo properly after this tiny amount of time

Mar 20, 2010
You guys probably said this at least 20 times in this thread but, i can't accept Skyrim as the game of the year. Skyrim was the game i put the most of my hours this year(130) but when a games wiki has at least 2 bugs on every other page, that's just a broken game. (yes i played the Ps3 version. I don't have anything else)

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Greg Says: There is no wrong way to play Bethesda's fifth Elder Scrolls game
That's funny, because whenever i tell Skyrim fanboys that there are some parts of the game that i don't enjoy, they're telling me that I'm playing it wrong.

Not only can Skyrim be played wrong, it actually INVITES you to play it wrong in so many ways. A game should avoid that.