Game of Thrones' Daenerys Targaryen Recreated in Dragon Age

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Game of Thrones' Daenerys Targaryen Recreated in Dragon Age

An enterprising gamer has used the character creation tools in Dragon Age: Inquisition to build an impressively accurate version of Emilia Clarke's Daenerys from Game of Thrones.

The Dragon Age games haven't always been privy to the most impressive character creation tools. The first two games weren't terrible in this regard, but they still fell markedly short of other role-playing games such as Skyrim which gave players an almost ludicrous amount of control over their character's looks. With the release of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12620-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Review>Dragon Age: Inquisition however, the series' developers at BioWare finally gave fans the customization options they'd been begging for with new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/12644-The-Hazards-of-Character-Creation>robust creation tools allowing for more deeply personalized characters.

Since <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dragon%20age%20inquisition>Inquisition's launch, many players have been testing out the new options to see how far they can push them and what kinds of characters they can make. Perhaps one of the most impressive accomplishments produced by the new tools, comes from Imgur user kill3rew0k who, last week, <a href=http://imgur.com/a/sAeSn>posted a gallery of screenshots showing other gamers how to create an avatar based on Daenerys Targaryen from HBO's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/gameofthrones>Game of Thrones television show. The end result of their work is a nearly perfect recreation of the character as portrayed by actor Emilia Clarke.

There are some differences, obviously. Seeing as Game of Thrones and Dragon Age are two completely separate franchises based in different fantasy worlds, kill3rew0k's Daenerys is garbed in Inquisition clothing rather than her usual assortment of gorgeously crafted costumes. Regardless, in terms of facial structure, the Dragon Age version is such a close match that I could imagine Game of Thrones fans unaware of BioWare's fantasy RPG mistaking these screens for a game based on the TV show.

[gallery=3557]

Sadly, while kill3rew0k's gallery does a good job of running players through the step-by-step of creating their Daenerys, it offers little in the way of information detailing how this character build originally came to be. Hoping to find out more we've reached out to kill3rew0k with further questions. As we wait for answers however, we're curious to hear which fictional characters you'd like to see given this treatment. I'd personally love to make a Ned Stark Inquisition character. Then again, if I was playing with Sean Bean's face I'd probably just wind up dying all the time.

Source: <a href=http://imgur.com/a/sAeSn>Imgur

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
So....Breaker of (the City of) Chains, Mother of Dragon Age?

It's not bad, I'll give it that. Although she look on the verge of tears to me. I imagine that would be annoying to watch every second of the game as.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
Interesting someone used a character creation kit. A look at carachter creation in general may beinteresting. How individuals go beyond the vanilla engine to get what they want. Seeing what is created and why would be really interesting. This is only one example though of what oneperson did all it tells us is that this is possiable and people like this character which we already knew.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This is really stretching the boundary of what's considered newsworthy. It's not even a 'near perfect recreation' as you put it: the hair is a completely different texture and the in-game character has more eyeshadow than an insomniac Goth.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
conmag9 said:

It's not bad, I'll give it that. Although she look on the verge of tears to me. I imagine that would be annoying to watch every second of the game as.
In the show she always looks like on the verge of tears. She is probably the worst actor in the show, lucky she is hot to compensate for her poor performance.

I was trying to make an Emma Watson look-alike in DA:I but it didn't look anything like her lol so I went with one of the regular heads and just changed a couple of things like hair, eyes etc. Avoiding stuff like cheekbones and jaw cos that's where I go wrong. I think she looks a little like a cross between Ellen Page and Scar Jo maybe?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
The character creator is pretty cool in general, but sadly the game it's rather worse than its predecessors in the hair department. It has a lot of different flavors of shaved head, but beyond that it's a step down in quality and both lacks all the braid and pigtail options DAO had and the more awesome stylized hairdos of DA2.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
Agreed, it does look a bit like her, in a few very particular situations.

The character creator in this game could have been a thing of greatness. And I'm not complaining about the hair.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
008Zulu said:
inu-kun said:
Daenarys is SOIAF's biggest mary sue
Other than having three dragons, how is she the Mary Sue? Her brother abused her, her husband and child were murdered.
Whether or not she's a Mary Sue, having an incredibly crappy childhood/dramatically losing loved ones and then overcoming it on the way to greatness is VERY common in Sues. She's got three dragons, most people she comes into contact love her, she seems to actually be winning despite having a sense of morality (which is rather against the grain of ASOIAF's general themes), she's the last living descendent of the rightful monarchy (such as it was), unusual hair color, having awesome followers that make her seem even better by comparison, immune to fire (in the show at least) etc. She's got quite a few common sue traits. Whether she is or not isn't for me to say, as it's a fairly subjective judgement. But you can see why some might call her that?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
conmag9 said:

I actually found that no matter what I did with the character creator I couldn't get my elf to not look really nervous and occasionally on the verge of tears. Something about the way elfish eyes are designed I guess. I'm getting used to it though.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Jodan said:
Interesting someone used a character creation kit. A look at carachter creation in general may beinteresting. How individuals go beyond the vanilla engine to get what they want. Seeing what is created and why would be really interesting. This is only one example though of what oneperson did all it tells us is that this is possiable and people like this character which we already knew.
They did use the vanilla engine, according to the article.

It's pretty cool that it's that versatile - usually you can't get video game characters looking nearly that accurate to real-world people.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
misogynerd said:
conmag9 said:
008Zulu said:
inu-kun said:
Daenarys is SOIAF's biggest mary sue
Other than having three dragons, how is she the Mary Sue? Her brother abused her, her husband and child were murdered.
Whether or not she's a Mary Sue, having an incredibly crappy childhood/dramatically losing loved ones and then overcoming it on the way to greatness is VERY common in Sues. She's got three dragons, most people she comes into contact love her, she seems to actually be winning despite having a sense of morality (which is rather against the grain of ASOIAF's general themes), she's the last living descendent of the rightful monarchy (such as it was), unusual hair color, having awesome followers that make her seem even better by comparison, immune to fire (in the show at least) etc. She's got quite a few common sue traits. Whether she is or not isn't for me to say, as it's a fairly subjective judgement. But you can see why some might call her that?
Really? I don't know if we read the same books. She has on a pretty bad losing streak at the end of DWD and, in general, seems like a stupid teenage girl who falls for terrible men.
Oh, we didn't. I read the first one before the series started, but that was it. If you've actually read the books, you've got the advantage. I'm just working with what the show's giving me.

008Zulu said:
conmag9 said:
But you can see why some might call her that?
Yes, but by that argument, all of the kids are Mary Sues.
The important half is the triumph that comes after. Dany's rapidly building a huge, dragon-augmented army of loyal and useful soliders and Westeros isn't exactly a paragon of stability, united in their efforts to stop her. Robb dies suddenly and ignobly (definitely not something that tends to happen to sues). Sansa doesn't really overcome anything so much as get tossed around and try her best to endure. She's not really in control of her own fate, so that seems to disqualify her. Rickon hasn't really done anything purely on his own. Arya, Bran and Jon...Well, Arya hasn't really met the scale to qualify for suedom as far as I'm concerned. She's working toward becoming an assassin, but a sue would have finished the training in a week and become so deadly that they basically take over. Bran's visions mark him as special, but unlike most sues he actually suffers from his disability and again the scale hasn't really gotten very high for him. Jon...I don't pay as much attention to, because I found the sections with the wildlings (in particular Ygrette) to be woefully, mind-boggling boring when they weren't actively annoying. So I'm not really fit to judge.

Usually, sues are super-talented (often without explanation), highly magnetic individuals who bend narrative causality to its breaking point. The Stark children don't do that so much, although several of them have useful talents.

Keep in mind, this may be different from the books, of which I've only ever read one. Grains of salt will be available on request.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
DA character customization is pretty poor. Even with mods it can't hold a candle if compared to Skyrim or any recent game.

Compared to Korean MMOs then...

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Czann said:
DA character customization is pretty poor. Even with mods it can't hold a candle if compared to Skyrim or any recent game.

Compared to Korean MMOs then...
With this one it's pretty close.