Game of Thrones Episode 9...

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
RedDeadFred said:
Look on the bright side, it can only really get happier from here.

Sweet summer child...
What? It does legitimately get happier for a while... Hell, the next real soul crushing moment for me didn't come until the
end of book 5
and if me and a lot of other people are right in our theories, I don't even think it's going to be permanent.
Headdrivehardscrew said:
No one is safe.

Again, there would be one significant change from the books that could bite everyone involved in the ass.
For the first thing, there is one character who seems to have plot armor:
Tyrion and actually maybe Jon since I'm pretty sure he's going to be revived. Martin wouldn't kill him off before revealing is true parentage (and if it's the parentage that I'm guessing -Targaryen- then I'm sure he'll play an even bigger role in books to come).

Regarding the second part. If you're talking about Jeyne, I'm pretty sure her child is not going to matter all that much in the books. Martin has told the show-runners the major upcoming plot points involved in future books so that they can continue the show if he dies before completing the books.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I read the books so I knew it was coming and yet I still wasn't prepared for it... crazy stuff. Still, this seems pretty fitting:

All I ask from here on out is the Martells show up early next season.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
BakedZnake said:
GrimTuesday said:
In the books, Robbs wife doesn't die, so there was speculation that she might be pregnant
Wasn't she given milk of the poppy by her mother to stop her from getting pregnant, and was ordered by Jaime to kill her if anyone attempts to rescue her? Plus she practically disappears in the last 2 books
No, Milk of the Poppy just dulls pains and helps people to sleep Jeyne's mother was giving her tansy, which is an abortifacient. I just don't like how unambiguous the show is especially when it comes to things like this, because part of the fun is the speculation about what is going to happen in the books.

Headdrivehardscrew said:
Again, there would be one significant change from the books that could bite everyone involved in the ass. But, alas, it looks like they're not planning ahead beyond the next season. So... let's hope GRR Martin will not feck the TV suits over by using any of the characters they changed, omitted or killed. Sure, it worked for Dexter, for a bit... for, what, two-and-a-half seasons over the course of six seasons, before it turned into Dallas?
What the hell are you talking about. Its GRRM's books, and he can do what ever he wants, show be damned. He is not telling their story, they are telling his, and though they consult with him quite a bit, if they kill someone who turns out to be important later, they are the ones who fucked up.

Anoni Mus said:
Stop telling spoilers or hints of spoilers. Seriously, you deserve warnings. And if you want to say book spoilers, put it in Spoiler and tell it's either from the book or episode 9.
Its not our job to make sure you don't have things spoiled, so why should we be punished for your inability to avoid spoilers? Its a thread about the series, you should expect spoilers. You would have a point if the thread were about puppies or kittens or what shape is your head, but its not, so boo hoo.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Man I'd been more interested to see the reaction to this episode than to see the Episode itself (read the book almost 10 years ago now) but hearing how emotionally it was handled... now I'm legit excited to actually SEE the episode. Though drinking in the reactions has been DELICIOUS!!!!

YOUR ANGUISH IS SO GOOD NOM NOM NOM!
Goofguy said:
I read the books so I knew it was coming and yet I still wasn't prepared for it... crazy stuff. Still, this seems pretty fitting:

All I ask from here on out is the Martells show up early next season.
Delicious tears!

Maisie Williams's post on the Red Wedding:

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I read the books, and I think that the Red Wedding scene could have been done better (not that it was done badly at all). I was expecting some dramatic, slow-motion stuff, with all the sounds quietened a bit and 'the Rains of Castamere' (love that song, by the way) playing over the top until Catelyn grabbed the Frey *****, but what do I know? I'm no television director producer man.

On a slightly unrelated note: WHY HAVE THEY CUT STRONG BELWAS OUT OF THE SERIES?!

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Holy fucking depressing, Batman! I haven't read page 1 of the books, so this was entirely shocking to me. I knew something bad would happen, but FUCK, not that!

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Wow......just wow, I already knew what to expect just bracing myself whenever the Rains of Castamere started to play, I haven't seen something that brutal since the Eclipse in Berserk. Overall, that was the most shocking thing I've seen in a long time and if Game of Thrones doesn't win awards for this season, I really would have to question people's taste in entertainment

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
No one is safe.

Again, there would be one significant change from the books that could bite everyone involved in the ass.
For the first thing, there is one character who seems to have plot armor:
Tyrion and actually maybe Jon since I'm pretty sure he's going to be revived. Martin wouldn't kill him off before revealing is true parentage (and if it's the parentage that I'm guessing -Targaryen- then I'm sure he'll play an even bigger role in books to come).
Aye, but that's only a third of the characters I felt and still feel have plot armour, in at least one case that annoys the bejeesus out of me. No, wait... ever since the TV series, make that TWO very annoying characters that have plot armour. Tyrion doesn't make it to my top three neither in the annoying nor in the plot armour drawer.

As for the reviving magicke... so far, I only recall one such case, but it's not green recycling, more like abominable black voodoo frankenstein magic... and the jury's still out on that one, as it's all still conjecture, as we still miss proper facts... and the TV series has yet to catch up to that.

RedDeadFred said:
Regarding the second part. If you're talking about Jeyne, I'm pretty sure her child is not going to matter all that much in the books. Martin has told the show-runners the major upcoming plot points involved in future books so that they can continue the show if he dies before completing the books.
I read that, repeatedly. Still... I think some parts are just handled sub-par.

Just take the eighth episode, in which Martin himself seems to have condensed the whole Yunkai thing down to the bare salvageable facts, he also 'made good' and pressed the reset button on some omissions and, well, scripting mistakes. None of what he did there was more than book-reading-fan service, however, as none of his fixes and patches seem to have ported over to what we got in the ninth episode... which is a shame.

I also think the TV-watching audience has not yet had the pleasure of properly getting to know the odd customs and personal guilty little sins of the Bolton breed, and I also do think that the peculiarly tasteless modifications to their most recent and most popular kill will not quite make it to the TV screens. And that's a real shame.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Kitsune Hunter said:
Wow......just wow, I already knew what to expect just bracing myself whenever the Rains of Castamere started to play, I haven't seen something that brutal since the Eclipse in Berserk. Overall, that was the most shocking thing I've seen in a long time and if Game of Thrones doesn't win awards for this season, I really would have to question people's taste in entertainment
Game of Thrones, its staff and cast and army of helpers does deserve plenty of awards.

However, I really think that Hannibal is the one thing that properly broke new ground in TV entertainment this year. The camera work is... outstanding. Exceptional. Pure Awesomeness in HD. The acting is... captivating. I am quite fond of the 'original' Red Dragon adaptation, Manhunter. Hannibal the TV series is a rewritten, reimagined, at times completely fabricated and totally made-up string of prequel alphabet soup, but it's still so enjoyable. Forget the movies after Silence of the Lambs, all of them. This TV series captures a lot of what made Manhunter such a great movie, and I get my bonus weekly fix of Mads Mikkelsen. That is not a bad thing. Not at all.

ardias014

Aug 31, 2009
Lex Darko said:
On Robb's wife, the character in show isn't Jeyne Westerling; it's a new character based on Jeyne Westerling.

In the books the matriarch of the Westerlings manipulates Robb into getting married to Jeyne. Jeyne being the daughter of a nobleman treating the wounds of the enemy king and being in his close proximity the entire time doesn't make sense for a family that were Lannister banner-men.

That being said in the book it is implied that Jeyne had no direct involvement of the plot as she actually mourns Robb's death. Also in the books she never gets pregnant because her mother gives her potions to prevent pregnancy telling her it's a fertility potion.
Actually, it is believed that the girl that the Lannisters have isn't Jeyne and she is still pregnant because her appearance is nothing like the appearance she was given when first introduced. Also Jeyne's mom doesn't manipulate Robb into marrying Jeyne, she just joins in the plot to bring him down to save her house from Lannister retribution.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
I'm behind on the tv show but I've read the books so I know what everyone's talking about.
I'm glad they did it well.

I read those pages like four times just to make sure that it had actually happened.
You too?

My sister was in the room with me at the time I read that part and she ended up asking me "Why are you so wide eyed and reading the same pages over and over again?"

My answer was something like "Oooooooooooooh!OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Asdfjkhasd;fjh! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!"

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
As a person that has only watched to episodes, i want to get into reading the books, but i don't want to read ahead of the tv show, I want to read the books a little bit behind, so which books are season 1-3 and would be safe for me to read without spoiling season 4+ for myself? Thanks in advance guys.

- Nick

TheGrandTatunkanite

Nov 23, 2012
NickBrahz said:
As a person that has only watched to episodes, i want to get into reading the books, but i don't want to read ahead of the tv show, I want to read the books a little bit behind, so which books are season 1-3 and would be safe for me to read without spoiling season 4+ for myself? Thanks in advance guys.

- Nick
Season 1 and 2 are the first and second books. Season 3 is the first half (or maybe about two thirds?) of the third book.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Is it wrong that I started laughed heartily until the end of the episode when they decided the name the child?
I knew what was coming, but still good stuff. I haven't read the books but I know a fair amount of spoilers (I'm one of those weird people who like finding out spoilers so I can be a smug **** about it) but
Weren't they meant replace Robbs head with Greywinds.. Unless I've missed something?
I'm expecting to see it next episode though

Also is Roose Boltons name pronounced the same as ruse? if it is, then that's exceedingly clever. /shrug

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
I was a little diappointed in how they depicted the Red Wedding in the TV show. In the book, the Rains of Castamere play throughout the slaughter and its so loud that all of the carnage is muted. There's also a greater sense of false hope for the Starks, too, and you get the sense that his bannerman truly loved him.

For example, Smalljon Umber actually throws a table over Robb to shield him from the crossbows all while killing Freys with his with a leg of mutton. Northmen actually burst into the room, but it turns out that they were Boltons and took off Smalljon's head. Greatjon Umber goes berserk and kills Freys left and right with his bare hands before being subdued.

Robb's bannermen all die, but it shows that they still believed in Robb and were willing to give their lives for him. They kind of missed the mark there.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
If you're talking about last night's episode, I was actually glad - The war between the north and the lannisters, while the main focus for the show, has become more and more inconsequential as outlying forces have gathered strength - dragons from the south and zombies from the north.

There was a moment, after the hammer initially dropped, when Robb had been killed, and Cate was holding that woman hostage, where I thought somehow, they'd get away, and the show would continue with the status quo for a while.

But no. Frey is not a man to be trifled with - Cate warned Robb of that initially, and finally Robb paid for what he did. My only real complaint was that the dummy they used for Cate's execution was beyond horrible. The whole scene could have LOOKED a whole lot better, and considering how GOOD Game of Thrones typically does violent scenes, it was kind of disappointing, especially after the infiltration of the slave city (I honestly can't recall the name). That infiltration and the resultant fight were HORRIBLE in terms of cinematography and direction. It really felt like a fight out of Power Rangers.

but as shocked as I was when the hammer dropped on Robb Stark and company, I was happy that they decided to actually push it to its logical conclusion.. Just wish whoever normally did the actual directing and effects wasn't home sick or whatever. I hope he comes back because if every fight scene turns into Power Rangers, that will certainly make watching the show less enjoyable.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
It was awesome. I've been waiting for that moment for a while now.

Only thing was towards the end, Catelyn could have easily grabbed Walder instead of the girl. No one was guarding him, and the Crossbowmen couldn't have gotten to them. But I guess it's more true to her character that she would fuck that up as well.

At least we've got one more season of awesome before the narrative comes to a screeching halt.

Oh, fun fact. The Drummer crowssbowman is the drummer in Coldplay.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
SacremPyrobolum said:
hazabaza1 said:
Fuck me.
I don't even like those characters that much but... jesus. Fuck the Freys basically.

Putting that aside, the rest of the episode was interesting. Jon leaving the wildlings, Brann leaving to do... something that I've forgotten. Arya getting mindfucked yet again what with basically her entire family dead, and Danserys being all cool an' shit.
I was actually getting really worried that Jorah was going to die when that siege was going on but yay he didn't. Not sure how I feel about this new guy though.
I don't like the new guy. He was supposed to have a marvelous beard! A marvelous, azure-dyed beard! Not that puny fuzz on the edge of his chin.

Trust me. I'm sure they would have done it if it didn't look stupid.