Game of Thrones: Filler Thriller

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Filler (just barely) beats what they did for the original Hellsing anime, which was to start making up a divergent anime plot halfway through the show where they ran out of manga, leading to a markedly inferior second half.

You could argue that's still 'filler', but it was presented as actual development.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Scribblesense said:
Ten or fifteen years down the line, I'll bet everything I own someone's going to reboot Game of Thrones as a Saturday Morning Cartoon or tween blockbuster ala Hunger Games. Hunger Game of Thrones, they could call it. No sex, nudity, whoring, incest, rape, mutilation, cannibalism, or weddings; just young Tyrion Lannister palling around Westeros with his brother Jaime and their BFFs Robb Stark, Daenerys Targaryen, and Gregor Clegane, to defeat the Mad King Tywin Lannister and his force of ice zombies and put the rightful queen on the throne.

Actually, I would watch a show with just Tyrion and Jaime. Jaime is such a great character, full of conflicts and twisted morality - if he wasn't sticking it in his sister and pushing ten year olds out of windows he's be the star of the show.
We are in an age where kids no longer are easily deceived by "childish" things. We have kids playing or at least knowing what M rated games are. The only reason why we keep sugarcoating stuff is because of moral guardians, but all intents we will not have dressed down plots lest GRRM curse us from his grave.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
canadamus_prime said:
There's also the all important filler episodes of minor characters doing something completely irrelevant.
At that moment, I couldn't help but to imagine a musical episode about Varys wanting to find love.
I don't know who that is. When I said that I was thinking of a certain Bleach episode that involved Ichigo's sisters and that idiotic spiritualist guy running around pretending to be super heroes.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Amaror said:
Jandau said:
Filler is the one thing that ISN'T going to happen (as hillarious as it would be), simply because it's too expensive to make the damn things. Unlike Naruto, this isn't some mid-tier mass-market anime; this is one of the most expensive HBO projects to date. Hell, the second season was debatable (for a while) despite the solid success of the first one simply because it cost so much to make.

What is most likely is that the show will go on a hiatus. Martin did give his notes to the makers of the show, but that was as a contingency for his death (Martin not being particularly young at this point). I doubt he'd let them use the notes to essentially spoil his book(s) ahead of time. And a hiatus would be a pretty bad thing, as key actors might float away to other projects and need to be recast.

That being said, it might not come to that. The current season is mostly the second half of Book 3, with some snippets from Book 4. They'll be able to squeeze at least 3 season out of books 4 and 5, maybe even 4 seasons. Martin's next book will be coming in the next year or two and will be "milkable" for a season or two. This'll leave him 3-4 years to get the last book out, which he might be able to if he stopped faffing about so much on side projects (he himself admitted that he was procrastinating the whole thing).

And personally, I can't wait for the Mass Effect 3-level of disappointment that the ending of the series will cause, because at this point GoT/ASoIaF is so big nothing will live up to the hype... :D
Endings don't have to be the best thing ever since orgasms. They just have to not suck as much as Mass Effect 3s ending did.
Remember Harry Potter. That one was as huge as A song of ice and fire, maybe bigger, and i can't remember any riots breaking out about the ending.
That's because the Harry Potter ending at least fit the series, it was just sad that they killed off so many favorite characters, BUT at the same time people realized that was a fairly realistic outcome given the story's tone, and JK Rowling made it somewhat clear by bringing up the deaths of Sirius and Hedwig, explaining more about the backstory, and make it clear that the villains were actually VERY serious despite the whimsy inherent in some parts of the book.

The thing with "Mass Effect 3" is that "Star Child" just came out of left field. Players were told flat out the game was not just going to have a "choose option A B or C". What's more unlike the tone of Harry Potter which changed somewhat, but still maintained it's ongoing principle that "good defeats evil" and had a happy ending even if a few people died (none of whom were main characters), "Mass Effect 3" was always about Shepard being a bigger than life hero, and defeating no-win scenarios, no matter how bad, or how grim it got, Shepard always wins in the end, whether he's a Paragon or Renegade. This was a theme all through the third game, where if you played the first two EVERY tough situation comes up roses for him, as one of his companions he served with in a previous game comes in, does the awesome, and Shepard doesn't have to make a tough call. When you get to the end, Shepard dies, but only choosing one of three forms of suck. What's more it's based on logic Shepard already subverted (Man and Machine being unable to co-exist) if he brought peace to the Geth and Quorians earlier, the whole example being pointed to there doesn't make sense anymore. What's more as you play and collect resources (read what some of them are) the logic to the final battle, about how unstoppable the reapers are, falls apart and makes no sense. I mean when your supposed to be not only using their own tech against them, but also things like singularity missiles and the like, the ending ceases to make a lot of sense and makes you wonder "why the hell did I collect all these resources and develop all these technologies to not be the underdog to begin with".

The point being it's a different situation.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I want to see the episode where Jon tries to find Brann by using a special bug which, once it's gotten something's scent, will track it to the ends of the earth. Only for Jon to hilariously render the whole thing meaningless when he accidentaly farts at the bug in the end.

I can't believe I remembered that...

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Maybe it will pull a Full Metal Alchemist and make up it's own story, one that is completely different than that of the source material.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Combustion Kevin said:
Maybe it will pull a Full Metal Alchemist and make up it's own story, one that is completely different than that of the source material.
The problem there is the original series ended up being better than the manga.

Sep 13, 2009
The Wooster said:
Combustion Kevin said:
The problem there is the original series ended up being better than the manga.
How DARE you.

Armstrong.

Deal with this heathen

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
You don't have to tell me this. I know why Harry Potters ending was good and Mass Effect 3s ending was complete shit.

I was just naming Harry Potter as an example of something incredibly huge that still managed to produce a satisfying ending, because the other guy said that ASOIAF is too huge to have an ending that everyone will accept.

Sep 13, 2009
Combustion Kevin said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
One good character does not excuse that ending.
Oh I fully agree the ending was awful. It was incredibly disappointing. There was still plenty of good that happened between the splitting point and the ending, Olivier Armstrong is far from everything good about it. Lin, Lan Fan, Greed, Mustang and Havoc vs Lust, Wrath (The proper one, not the confused kid) were all great. It's how good it became that made the ending hurt all the more.

Bad ending aside, I vastly prefer it to the constant, nonsensical tearfest that was the original anime

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
I don't know why everyone hates filler episodes, but I feel like they're important because they really establish the way the characters think and feel.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Ah, just look at Sean Bean, finally getting a chance to relax and air out his neck-hole.

OT: if its anything like long-running anime then the beach episodes will come up right after the episodes showing the world in the dead of winter where everything is frozen-over and colder than a witch's tit.

Because, you know, that's when anime decides the audience needs a warm refresher from the cold.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Might want to mention that that link is potentially NSFW.

Don't get me wrong... I love some titties... but... fair warning and the like.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I've been worried about this myself, and that's why I've chosen not to invest much in the series. I was an avid reader of the books, but when it starts taking 8 years in between books, I start to lose interest. It makes me sad to no longer be interested in something I love, but hey, the reference to the incredibly fucking stupid Naruto filler made me laugh my ass off, and then depressed me again when I realized "oh yeah, I used to like Naruto."

Speaking of Naruto, is that shit over yet or is it still going? I mean, I'm sure Shonen Jump won't be letting their Golden Goose go anytime soon, but I get curious every now and then, but can't be bothered to look up exactly how close to the end the current plot may seem. Someone told me it was just about done, but that was 2 years ago.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
tzimize said:
jurnag12 said:
GRRM has already given the guys that write Game of Thrones a detailed outline of the plot of the remaining books, exactly due to the reasons that he's slow as shit at writing them and them being unwilling to actually wait for him to catch up to the series.
Man. I wish this'd happen with Berserk. :|
So would I, but knowing Miura it would take at-least three years for the outline to get done.

xD

InkySpines

May 3, 2014
It took me about four views of this comic to conclude that is Theon in the upper left of the beach scene playing with his "sand castle"