Game of Thrones - HBO TV Series

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Is anybody else as excited as my wife and I are about this series coming out on HBO?

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html

(Link provided in case you haven't heard...)

Basically they're taking the ASOIAF (A Song of Ice and Fire) "Game of Thrones" fantasy series by George R. R. Martin - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Game_of_Thrones - and turning into what looks like the most incredible fantasy series to be shown on TV, ever. I've watched previews, "making of" reports, read interviews by the cast and... and...

I'm excited for April 17th. I just *am* ...

The Gnome Queen

Apr 14, 2011
Yes, yes, yes! (I'm the wife, so does it count?)

After seeing the latest 'Making of' video: http://youtu.be/OofPjpBVvEA , I'm even more excited.

I'm very interesting in seeing my favorite books come to life. The casting is just... excellent and they've been filming for a few years now.

~TGQ

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
The Gnome Queen said:
Yes, yes, yes! (I'm the wife, so does it count?)

After seeing the latest 'Making of' video: http://youtu.be/OofPjpBVvEA , I'm even more excited.

I'm very interesting in seeing my favorite books come to life. The casting is just... excellent and they've been filming for a few years now.

~TGQ
How... fitting... that your first post here would be in relation to Game of Thrones. ;)

I'm ticked off that the DVR won't let us see that far into the future and make sure it gets recorded because of that idiotic Sunday night reset thing...

I don't know that the Game of Thrones books were my *favorite* fantasy books ever but I don't know that they weren't, either. Really only The Name of the Wind came anywhere near those books for me in terms of sheer enjoyment value.

I hope he gets off his butt and finishes the damned 5th book... :D

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Aurgelmir said:
Hmm I have seen posters for the show on my way to work, looks interesting.
They have even done FOOD TASTINGS based on this series -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dW74e4-CPg

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well I won't see it for a while no doubt here in the UK but I think I must note that SEAN BEAN IS A GOD.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
just watched the preview on hbo.com looks good i'll check out the first episode and see if it grabs me enough to keep coming back

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
just watched the preview on hbo.com looks good i'll check out the first episode and see if it grabs me enough to keep coming back
A convert... muhahaha! ;)

Seriously I think this is going to be the best series out on HBO since "True Blood" - I just hope the ASOIAF fans don't ruin the experience by crying that everything in the series MUST be 100% true to the books...

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I've been waiting for this for months now and couldn't be more excited. i even have a friend, who hates fantasy, eagerly awaiting Sunday. It looks awesome and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
The fact that this wont be on in the UK for aeons makes me a sad panda :(

Ah well, to the internets!

Mar 30, 2010
Wadders said:

It's available here in the UK on Sky Atlantic on the 18th (as opposed to the 17th on HBO in the States).

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
Wadders said:

It's available here in the UK on Sky Atlantic on the 18th (as opposed to the 17th on HBO in the States).
Fair enough. Shame I'm far too poor to have Sky haha

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Wadders said:

I'm on Virgin Media, not Sky (who won't let Virgin supply the channel). So it be The Internet for me, yarr!

Edit: Hmm, to be clear, I am looking forward to the series very much. I haven't read the books though I am sure that won't diminish what looks to be a great programme.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
The Gnome King said:
The Gnome Queen said:
It looks pretty spectacular, I will admit. I'm a fan of most of the cast, so that's the main reason i'm interested, I know nothing of the series of books so hopefully that will only help my enjoyment, not hinder it.

I've quoted you both as I was intrigued by the fact that you're both married.
Did you meet here on the escapist or in real life but both joined up together?

The Gnome Queen

Apr 14, 2011
Riku said:
We met on the internets (Yahoo! personals when it was free, way back in 2000), fell for eachother real quick and I moved out to be with him 32 days after he answered my ad - and two days after my high school graduation. I was looking for people who had similar interests b/c I was moving to the area anyway for college (which eventually fell through due to my dad being a jerk), but it just worked out between us.

And I can't imagine being with anyone else. He's my Gnome King. :p

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Riku said:
The Gnome King said:
The Gnome Queen said:
It looks pretty spectacular, I will admit. I'm a fan of most of the cast, so that's the main reason i'm interested, I know nothing of the series of books so hopefully that will only help my enjoyment, not hinder it.

We met in real life about 11 years ago. I'm not sure if The Escapist was even around then. ;)

(And by "real life" I of course mean... the internet, just not The Escapist. She moved from Wyoming to live when me in another state when she was 19 after we had been talking online for about a month.)

We moved quickly, scoffed at everyone, got married, and we're still together when a lot of our friends from back then are still bewildered single people. :D

I think that not knowing anything about the series can be a good thing. I hadn't read the True Blood books when the show came out and it allowed me to whine a lot less when plotlines were changed, etc., on the show and they didn't hold up "exactly to the books" - and why should it? It was a different artistic medium and a different way to tell a story.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Wadders said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Wadders said:

Fair enough. Shame I'm far too poor to have Sky haha
Wha... wait... there are places in the UK that don't allow HBO?!

Blasphemy!

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
poiumty said:
I am not excited about this. I mean, I've heard a lot about A Song of Ice and Fire, and people praise it as some sort of fantasy messiah but... I can't even read the plot summary on wikipedia without getting bored to death. This is a medieval fucking soap opera!

The trailer also leaves me unimpressed. I have no idea who those people are.
It *is* kind of a medieval soap opera; being based loosely off England's "War of the Roses" but tossing in some dragons, magic, and the like.

As for not knowing the actors that usually leaves me more impressed than unimpressed. I don't really care WHO they are, I want to see what they can DO.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Toaster Hunter said:
I've been waiting for this for months now and couldn't be more excited. i even have a friend, who hates fantasy, eagerly awaiting Sunday. It looks awesome and I hope it doesn't disappoint.
I think this show will capture a lot of people who don't really "like" or "get" fantasy because there's plenty of blood and sex... and that's why people watch HBO series anyway, right? o_O

(The production quality is top notch; it's somehow... beyond fantasy. Like... fantastic fantasy. Yeah. That's it.)