Game of Thrones - HBO TV Series

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
The Gnome King said:
We met in real life about 11 years ago. I'm not sure if The Escapist was even around then. ;)

(And by "real life" I of course mean... the internet, just not The Escapist. She moved from Wyoming to live when me in another state when she was 19 after we had been talking online for about a month.)

We moved quickly, scoffed at everyone, got married, and we're still together when a lot of our friends from back then are still bewildered single people. :D

I think that not knowing anything about the series can be a good thing. I hadn't read the True Blood books when the show came out and it allowed me to whine a lot less when plotlines were changed, etc., on the show and they didn't hold up "exactly to the books" - and why should it? It was a different artistic medium and a different way to tell a story.
The Gnome Queen said:
We met on the internets (Yahoo! personals when it was free, way back in 2000), fell for eachother real quick and I moved out to be with him 32 days after he answered my ad - and two days after my high school graduation. I was looking for people who had similar interests b/c I was moving to the area anyway for college (which eventually fell through due to my dad being a jerk), but it just worked out between us.

And I can't imagine being with anyone else. He's my Gnome King. :p
Wow..just wow. That's a beautiful story, one of the few successes of the internet I've heard too.
And you're in America, which is by far a vaster country than Britain is, which makes it all the more daunting moving to a different state.

I guess when you know you know eh? I'm glad it worked for you :)
Hope you two have many more years of happy marriage ahead of you

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
poiumty said:
The Gnome King said:
poiumty said:
I am not excited about this. I mean, I've heard a lot about A Song of Ice and Fire, and people praise it as some sort of fantasy messiah but... I can't even read the plot summary on wikipedia without getting bored to death. This is a medieval fucking soap opera!

The trailer also leaves me unimpressed. I have no idea who those people are.
It *is* kind of a medieval soap opera; being based loosely off England's "War of the Roses" but tossing in some dragons, magic, and the like.

As for not knowing the actors that usually leaves me more impressed than unimpressed. I don't really care WHO they are, I want to see what they can DO.
Ah, well that explains it then. I felt like I was missing out on some epic fantasy action like we've never seen since LOTR. That's a load off.

And no, wasn't reffering to the actors, but the characters. You know, showing them on the throne and stuff kinda loses its appeal when you have nothing to connect them to.
Oh, it is epic fantasy action - the War of the Roses was some pretty heavy stuff, and the books delve into how when powerful political people play their "Game of Thrones" the little people suffer. Why not give the first episode a go? You might find that you're connecting with the characters a lot more than you feel. It's only "soap opera" -ish in the sense that it's epic and tells a character story.

You *are* missing out if you don't watch it. The Gnome King says so, and I'm a King.

Of Gnomes.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Riku said:
The Gnome King said:
We met in real life about 11 years ago. I'm not sure if The Escapist was even around then. ;)

(And by "real life" I of course mean... the internet, just not The Escapist. She moved from Wyoming to live when me in another state when she was 19 after we had been talking online for about a month.)

We moved quickly, scoffed at everyone, got married, and we're still together when a lot of our friends from back then are still bewildered single people. :D

I think that not knowing anything about the series can be a good thing. I hadn't read the True Blood books when the show came out and it allowed me to whine a lot less when plotlines were changed, etc., on the show and they didn't hold up "exactly to the books" - and why should it? It was a different artistic medium and a different way to tell a story.
The Gnome Queen said:
We met on the internets (Yahoo! personals when it was free, way back in 2000), fell for eachother real quick and I moved out to be with him 32 days after he answered my ad - and two days after my high school graduation. I was looking for people who had similar interests b/c I was moving to the area anyway for college (which eventually fell through due to my dad being a jerk), but it just worked out between us.

And I can't imagine being with anyone else. He's my Gnome King. :p
Wow..just wow. That's a beautiful story, one of the few successes of the internet I've heard too.
And you're in America, which is by far a vaster country than Britain is, which makes it all the more daunting moving to a different state.

I guess when you know you know eh? I'm glad it worked for you :)
Hope you two have many more years of happy marriage ahead of you
Thanks! That might be one of the nicest things anyone has said on the Escapist to me. ;)

We've been in one place for far too long and we're experiencing a period of wanderlust now. We're actually in the process of moving to yet another state; for employment purposes and because, well, I hate Arizona. :D (If America is kind of the laughingstock of the world; Arizona is kind of the laughingstock of America. :D )

The Gnome Queen

Apr 14, 2011
poiumty said:
I am not excited about this. I mean, I've heard a lot about A Song of Ice and Fire, and people praise it as some sort of fantasy messiah but... I can't even read the plot summary on wikipedia without getting bored to death. This is a medieval fucking soap opera!

The books are epic - like 700+ pages, so reading a synopsis of the book series could be daunting.

It's quite an interesting tale, and from what I've seen and considering the author is one of the co-executive producers/directors, it's definitely doing to be spectacular.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
The Gnome King said:
Thanks! That might be one of the nicest things anyone has said on the Escapist to me. ;)

We've been in one place for far too long and we're experiencing a period of wanderlust now. We're actually in the process of moving to yet another state; for employment purposes and because, well, I hate Arizona. :D (If America is kind of the laughingstock of the world; Arizona is kind of the laughingstock of America. :D )
Not a problem, not everyone on the internet is a douche! We're all still human so we can all still be nice to one another.

I can understand the desire to move to a different area, I've moved around quite a lot here in England already and I'm 22! I would love to live and work in America though.

Haha see, I don't know a thing about what states are in favour or not (though I know Jersey gets a bad rep) Arizona's a southern desert state right? Where are you planning on going to?

Drakane

May 8, 2009
No HBO here, and doesn't he have another 2 books to put out?

Don't get me wrong I wish I could watch the series and I liked the books for the most part but I would like to finish the series sometime.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Wadders said:
The fact that this wont be on in the UK for aeons makes me a sad panda :(

Ah well, to the internets!
If you get Sky Atlantic they start showing it the day after it starts in America (so they claim). Joy for me anyway.

I've read a bad review for it, but to be honest, Sean Bean could star in a Herpes advert and I'd watch it, so hey I figure I'll like this.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Yeah, it would be fine, it's just a shame that whoever was doing the casting was obviously watching Lord of The Rings when he was deciding the casting....

I mean, come on? Really, Boromir?

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Riku said:
The Gnome King said:

Not a problem, not everyone on the internet is a douche! We're all still human so we can all still be nice to one another.

I can understand the desire to move to a different area, I've moved around quite a lot here in England already and I'm 22! I would love to live and work in America though.

Haha see, I don't know a thing about what states are in favour or not (though I know Jersey gets a bad rep) Arizona's a southern desert state right? Where are you planning on going to?
AZ is known as a rather ultra-conservative state. We have a lunatic governor now as a result of her being "elevated" to the position after Obama "tapped" our previous democratic governor. We have laws here that make it legal to carry (and conceal) a gun on your person just about anywhere, and we're considered to have a very "wild wild west" mentality. (I say this as an NRA member who has taken speed-shooting classes and thinks our gun laws are too lax)

AZ is known to be VERY unfriendly to immigrants with our Sheriff proud of the fact that he sends police forces into Hispanic neighborhoods just to round up and deport/jail people here illegally.

AZ is also known to be rather racist as one of the last states in the nation to recognize Martin Luther King day, for example. It's a very right-wing, conservative state. So if you're, say, a tea party member - you might enjoy it here. Most liberals do not.

Interesting that you would want to live and work in America - I don't hear that from too many Brits. You do realize we don't provide health care for our most vulnerable citizens here and medical bills are the #1 reason people go into bankruptcy in this country? It's kind of a scary place to live. I'd love to live in England. :D

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
poiumty said:
The Gnome King said:
poiumty said:
The Gnome King said:
poiumty said:

It *is* kind of a medieval soap opera; being based loosely off England's "War of the Roses" but tossing in some dragons, magic, and the like.

As for not knowing the actors that usually leaves me more impressed than unimpressed. I don't really care WHO they are, I want to see what they can DO.
Ah, well that explains it then. I felt like I was missing out on some epic fantasy action like we've never seen since LOTR. That's a load off.

And no, wasn't reffering to the actors, but the characters. You know, showing them on the throne and stuff kinda loses its appeal when you have nothing to connect them to.
Oh, it is epic fantasy action - the War of the Roses was some pretty heavy stuff, and the books delve into how when powerful political people play their "Game of Thrones" the little people suffer. Why not give the first episode a go? You might find that you're connecting with the characters a lot more than you feel. It's only "soap opera" -ish in the sense that it's epic and tells a character story.

You *are* missing out if you don't watch it. The Gnome King says so, and I'm a King.

Of Gnomes.
Alright, sure, I'll give it a try. Don't steal my underpants [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBiSI6OdqvA], please.
But that's step 1!

And step 3 is Profit!

;)

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Drakane said:
No HBO here, and doesn't he have another 2 books to put out?

Don't get me wrong I wish I could watch the series and I liked the books for the most part but I would like to finish the series sometime.
We ALL want him to finish the damned series.

Fans are worried that he's going to die before he gets the books done, ala Robert Jordan.

B-rad747

Mar 1, 2011
I'm pretty damn pumped. My buddy turned me on to the series and I loved the first book. I even have the Stark desktop wallpaper on my laptop right now.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
The Gnome King said:
AZ is known as a rather ultra-conservative state. We have a lunatic governor now as a result of her being "elevated" to the position after Obama "tapped" our previous democratic governor. We have laws here that make it legal to carry (and conceal) a gun on your person just about anywhere, and we're considered to have a very "wild wild west" mentality. (I say this as an NRA member who has taken speed-shooting classes and thinks our gun laws are too lax)

AZ is known to be VERY unfriendly to immigrants with our Sheriff proud of the fact that he sends police forces into Hispanic neighborhoods just to round up and deport/jail people here illegally.

AZ is also known to be rather racist as one of the last states in the nation to recognize Martin Luther King day, for example. It's a very right-wing, conservative state. So if you're, say, a tea party member - you might enjoy it here. Most liberals do not.

Interesting that you would want to live and work in America - I don't hear that from too many Brits. You do realize we don't provide health care for our most vulnerable citizens here and medical bills are the #1 reason people go into bankruptcy in this country? It's kind of a scary place to live. I'd love to live in England. :D
Ah wow Arizona does not sound like a friendly place when you put it like that.
I guess one of the problems is that you have different states which can be so diverse from one another so that like you say you have laws there that make it legal to carry and conceal a gun whereas in other states you may not.

I would love to be able to reduce it down to 'you pick the right state for you' but I know that essentially deep down, no state is ever truly right for there are flaws in all but at least you have more of a choice :) wherever I go in England it's all the same laws, so what's wrong one place is wrong everywhere else.

Yeah I understand that you don't provide free health care (still a strange notion to me as to why you don't, the NHS over here may not be fantastic, but the benefits outweigh the problems) but i've always been ridiculously healthy, so unless it's just that i'm uber healthy in England and no where else I should be ok if I moved.

If you'd love to live here then come on over! We need more Americans over here, though you will miss an awful lot. I had American friends while I was at University and they always went on about how they didn't have certain products here that you guys do in America and of course, the laws and government are so different but I'd like to think it's a more welcoming place because we do have the NHS, and benefits to help you get into work and various other incentives that welcome so many eastern europeans here, but I would like more American's to come over here.

It can be a beautiful country (when it's not raining).

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
The Gnome King said:
Tipsy Giant said:
just watched the preview on hbo.com looks good i'll check out the first episode and see if it grabs me enough to keep coming back
A convert... muhahaha! ;)

Seriously I think this is going to be the best series out on HBO since "True Blood" - I just hope the ASOIAF fans don't ruin the experience by crying that everything in the series MUST be 100% true to the books...
I'm just wondering how it will be down the line...I mean...TV goes a lot faster than books...and with G.R.R.M.'s speed of writing...we'll be looking at a TV pause in the series long enough to give everyone involved gray hair.

At some point the series will catch the books, what then? :|

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
tzimize said:
The Gnome King said:
Tipsy Giant said:
just watched the preview on hbo.com looks good i'll check out the first episode and see if it grabs me enough to keep coming back
A convert... muhahaha! ;)

Seriously I think this is going to be the best series out on HBO since "True Blood" - I just hope the ASOIAF fans don't ruin the experience by crying that everything in the series MUST be 100% true to the books...
I'm just wondering how it will be down the line...I mean...TV goes a lot faster than books...and with G.R.R.M.'s speed of writing...we'll be looking at a TV pause in the series long enough to give everyone involved gray hair.

At some point the series will catch the books, what then? :|
What then? Hopefully the TV series develops a life of its own and goes in whatever direction makes sense, like True Blood did. Nothing is written in stone that says it has to END like the books will (or maybe never will... lol) end!

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Genuine Evil said:
I am but I wonder how they will treat some of the more fucked up aspect?s of the books (pedophilia , incest and so on) . also some of the side characters are so over the top I?m not sure how they are gonna make the believable

But yes im pumped
It's HBO so I doubt they will shy away from incest. The royal families of England and other countries practiced it for centuries to keep "bloodlines pure" so it's not like it's something we should shirk away from. The Targaryens family from the books is described as having incest lead to them basically going nuts so... we'll see.

And the side characters are the best. Have you checked out the actor they got to play Tyrion? I'm looking forward to this!