Game of Thrones: Red Viper vs The Mountain *Spoilers tagged*

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
KingsGambit said:
As such, I'm approximating that it would most likely look something like the following:

Season 1 - Book 1 - 2011
Season 2 - Book 2 - 2012
Season 3 - Book 3a - 2013
Season 4 - Book 3b - 2014
Season 5 - Books 4a, 4b, 5 - 2015 (all three books mushed together)
Season 6 - Books 4a, 4b, 5 - 2016
Season 7 - Books 4a, 4b, 5 - 2017
Season 8 - Books 6a & 6b - 2018 (assuming they occur in the same time-frame and not sequentially)
Season 9 - Books 6a & 6b - 2019
Season 10 - Book 7 - 2020
[Season 11 - Book 7b - 2021]?
The showrunners have already stated they want the show wrapped up in 7 seasons.

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-final-season-7-8/

Even I think that's unlikely, and it's possible we get a "7th season" that is actually 20 episodes long and split over two years, the way Mad Men has done, and the way Walking Dead loves to split "a season" with a 4-5 month hiatus in the middle of it. Best case scenario is we get that 8th season, either officially or through a bloated 7th.

Book 4-5 material will take them through season 5, if they remain largely faithful. Given their desire/need for set-piece events, I rather suspect we get an event from early Winds of Winter in season 5.

Either the battle for Mereen or the battle for Winterfell. The former has the potential for being a glorious clusterfuck, even with the almost complete removal of the Ironborn from the show's narrative.

Apr 5, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
The showrunners have already stated they want the show wrapped up in 7 seasons.

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-final-season-7-8/

Even I think that's unlikely, and it's possible we get a "7th season" that is actually 20 episodes long and split over two years, the way Mad Men has done, and the way Walking Dead loves to split "a season" with a 4-5 month hiatus in the middle of it. Best case scenario is we get that 8th season, either officially or through a bloated 7th.

Book 4-5 material will take them through season 5, if they remain largely faithful. Given their desire/need for set-piece events, I rather suspect we get an event from early Winds of Winter in season 5.
Well if that is the case that it goes no higher than 7-8 seasons, it'll be "messy". A lot will get left out by necessity (not necessarily a bad thing, or a new thing). If they wrap Books 4-5 by Season 5, then it gives GRRM only 2 years to finish Book 6 which is a massive ask.

Guess we'll find out in two years :) There's no chance of all the books being finished by 2017 so something will have to give. A shame if that's the case...maybe they ought to have waited 3 years before starting the show.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I have not read the books but after watching the episode...
Why can't people who are awesome kill the guy on the ground instead of trying to twist a confession out of him? Oberyn was too awesome for this world.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Here's my thought process for the fight:

Yeah, Oberyn is kicking some serious mountain ass! Yeah, stick it to him! Yeah, he's down, now finish him!... Or dance around and taunt. Now finish him... Seriously? I know you like t- OW! Shit, just roll the other wa- OW! DAMN! Oka- AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
The head smashing was brutal, they really didn't pull any punches with that one.
I had to look away, bleugh!

Goodnight, sweet prince. :(

Now I have to find a new character to fawn over.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Being lancer is suffering.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Just quickly skimming by, I haven't read book 3 and 4 yet, I have ordered them though. Just watched episode 8, and it is really the first time I feel the series has slapped me in the face. The beheading of Ned Stark didn't make a huge impact on me, the Red Wedding had me speculating, but this. This is different.

Gonna put a spoiler tag, though I would have assumed that anyone who is deathly afraid of spoilers wouldn't come here anyway, but whatever.

Oberyn's death is truly the first one that has got to me in the show, for the FIRST time watching this series I've though that I didn't want to see any more of it. Of course I can't really stop right now, but that was REALLY a slap in the face. Not to mention just how gory it was... I'm not too keen on gore, haven't been desensitized from the sight of it, but fucking hell, I actually LIKED that guy! And I was kinda hoping we'd get rid of The Mountain, because fuck that guy

Don't bother too much replying to this post though, I probably won't visit it again. Because of some spectacular cock-ups, I know a few things about book 5 already, and a friend of mine, who hasn't read the books himself, but has a friend that loves them, managed to spoil the fact that Joffrey dies, all the while oblivious to how far the show was in the story so far. He told me this while season 3 was airing, I think. I would like to avoid any more spoilers, though, so like I said. I shan't be returning to this thread anymore. Just came by to say that one bit about Oberyn.

Also, thank you Critical Miss for telling me that Tyrion dies, without putting up a FUCKING spoiler warning!!! I realize it was to get a punch line, but seriously! (If there actually WAS a spoiler warning, I must have missed it, and in that case I apologize (somewhat)).

EDIT: Also, why do I have to misspell don't in the spoiler warning, so it doesn't mess up the formatting?

Dec 14, 2009
Just saw the episode

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE.
Nobody is safe, I thought Oberyn would win for sure, like there was no doubt in my mind. This shocked me more than the Red Wedding.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Twinrehz said:
Also, thank you Critical Miss for telling me that Tyrion dies, without putting up a FUCKING spoiler warning!!! I realize it was to get a punch line, but seriously! (If there actually WAS a spoiler warning, I must have missed it, and in that case I apologize (somewhat)).
Saying that Tyrion dies in the fourth book, or whatever it was, wasn't a spoiler, it was just a joke.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Colour Scientist said:
Twinrehz said:
Saying that Tyrion dies in the fourth book, or whatever it was, wasn't a spoiler, it was just a joke.
As it seems right now, it isn't going to be. :p But what do I know, I haven't read the books. (Yet. Damn postal service making me wait. Guess I should be happy that they're doing it at all, I suppose).

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I knew it was coming, but damn. Oberyn was alright in the books, but the actor they chose to play Oberyn made him my favorite character in the show. He was the most watchable thing this season, maybe the only watchable thing in what has been a pretty boring season 4.

Even though I read the book before, it was still a very impressive conclusion, to the point where I don't think I could watch the whole scene again. I'd just stop when the mountain hits the ground and OBERYN WINS. Seriously, it's getting tiresome watching all the good/cool characters getting fucked over. Even Theon deserved better.

One thing that bothered me is that the fight didn't last as long as I expected. As I watched the episode, I kept thinking "great, this episode is almost over, I'll have to wait another week for this fight."

Now the only cool characters left alive are Arya and Tyrion. And maybe Brienne when she's with Jaime.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
To add some nice non-spoiler-y talk to this thread, I was really impressed with the new Mountain's make up this episode. In his first appearance he looked like a great big huggable bear, but here he looked damn menacing. Good stuff.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
GiantRaven said:
To add some nice non-spoiler-y talk to this thread, I was really impressed with the new Mountain's make up this episode. In his first appearance he looked like a great big huggable bear, but here he looked damn menacing. Good stuff.
Maybe so, but I still want him to die.

Captcha: Good riddance o_O Not sure if sassing or agreeing...

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I think wee Maisie's pegged my reaction tomorrow when I see the faces of show-only colleagues who've yet to see episode 8 and don't know what they're in for. Dey gon b shocked.

One of them was spot-on in his prediction for the fight's outcome though.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Oberyn was one of the "good guys"?
Maybe I'm just stonehearted, but Oberyn's death didn't even evoke a "meh" in me when I read it. I just didn't care about him.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Tayh said:
Maybe I'm just stonehearted, but Oberyn's death didn't even evoke a "meh" in me when I read it. I just didn't care about him.
I think the main implication is that he's representing Tyrion, and through Oberyn's death it confirms Tyrion's death sentence which is what most people care about.
That being said, Show Oberyn has had more percentage-screen time than the book and he's generally more likable, with that on top of the supposedly gorey (haven't watched it yet) head smashing it's probably all the more shocking.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Tayh said:
Pascal made Oberyn a pretty prominent character. Very charismatic. I've read unspoiled viewers stating he was the closest thing the series had to a true hero since Ned Stark. He was very, very well loved by the audience.

Book Oberyn was a cool tertiary character in a series that is veritably brimming with them. His death is shocking in large part because it slams the door on Tyrion's hopes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
HOLY CRAP he just burst his brain out just from crushing his head with his hands????

Ok my normal spoiler self, I did read the fight before hand but not into details (I knew he was going to be killed but I didn't expect his head to burst like that!

If he had just stayed calm and focus he would of still alived abliet without knowing the confession. Still while he was fully prepared for the fight physically, he wasn't mentally.

Still he kind of got the last laugh (although he probably didn't want his head to be crush) since the Mountain was killed and no it wasn't from his wound alone (he coated it with posions).