Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 2 Review "The Lion and the Rose"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Makabriel said:
What I was disappointed in was the missing dwarf in the comedy troupe. A certain pig riding one...
Yes, I was wondering about that as well. I think one of the dwarves kept a mask on, and the audience never saw the face, so they'll be able to cast Penny for later seasons.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Asclepion said:
In my opinion, the story would be better if Joffrey had survived.

Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.
Personally, I think this would ruin what's great about A Song of Ice and Fire. Sure, that is a totally gratifying and "feel good" way to cap it off, but that's not what this series is about. It aims instead to challenge the expected lines we're used to. Having the Starks get their revenge and everything settles back into order is just to neat and tiddy for the series.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"a fatal disease for most but only left her scarred"
That's VERY insensitive, if there ever was a word that needed quotes around it, it's "only" in that scentence!!!!

Anyway, I was like: I fucking hate Joffrey so much. And then, could it be?!
BEST EPISODE EVAR!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
It genuinely made my day!

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Now that Joffery is gone we can finally get to my favorite characters in the story: Ser Ponce, Lady Whiskers, and Boots.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Honestly, I did feel a little sorry for Joffrey (at least in the books). He didn't get a good chance to become a decent human being. He was a bully who was given unlimited power. You can't honestly say that you haven't known kids in your life who probably would have done shit like he did at that stage of their lives if given the chance.

Not only that, the books do have one scene that sort of humanizes him and makes you truly feel sorry for him (at least that's how I felt). You find out that Joffrey was the one who ordered the assassin to kill Bran. He overheard Robert saying that Bran should be allowed to die and that it would be a mercy. Joffrey, trying to win his father's approval (which never seems to happen), decides to give the "mercy" to Bran. The environment Joffrey was brought up in of being spoiled beyond belief while only having one loving parent yet desperately seeking the approval of the other is a sad way for any kid to grow up and it's not overly surprising that he turned out the way he did.

Does it excuse his actions? Absolutely not, but it does make you realize that he probably wasn't evil down to the core.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Is anyone else really disliking Tyrion and Shae's relationship in the show, or is it just me?

I mean in the books, there's this element of "I know she after me for the money, but I'm still in love with her" going on and we don't really get to see Shae's thoughts so we never know if she is just in it for the money or not and then

during Tyrion's trial she rats him out, presumably bribed with wealth via Cersei but then after we find Shae in Tywin's bed with no explanation and he kills her before she can explain which sets us back to square one. Was it all just in his head and she was in it for the highest bidder or did she actually care about him?

On top of that are Tyrion's feeling for Tysha who he finds out wasn't actually a whore minutes (or however long it took him to climb that ladder) before he kills Shae. It's deliciously complex (ish) and is left open-ended.

Meanwhile in the show, Shae just outright says "I love him" and we see Tywin tell (someone at the wedding, can't remember who) to take "the whore" up to his chambers after the feast,
showing in no uncertain terms that it's just a ploy to get under Tyrion's skin and that she wasn't just in it for the money.

This really annoyed me about the Thenn in the previous episode too. In the books they're portrayed as the most civilised of the free folk (if a bit abrasive) as they have at least some form of governing body (the Magnar), they have actual laws and mine their own ore to make weapons and armour instead of looting from dead corpses of Crows or grabbing bones and tree branches.

Hell, the new Magnar marries into one of the northern houses (the Umbers) making them a legitimate family in the eyes of the crown. Unless the new royals (after the Lannisters get deposed) aren't willing to let wildings be part of their kingdom I guess.

And what do we get in the show? Cannibals. CANNIBALS.

I really want to see how they're going to dig themselves out of that hole when the fifth/sixth season rolls around.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Makabriel said:
What I was disappointed in was the missing dwarf in the comedy troupe. A certain pig riding one...
This one thinks that maybe the dwarf you're referring to was the one under the wolf mask playing Robb Stark since you never see their face.

EDIT: Disregard what I said, I just remembered that that dwarf speaks a few times and that pretty much rules it out.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Sight Unseen said:
Makabriel said:
This one thinks that maybe the dwarf you're referring to was the one under the wolf mask playing Robb Stark since you never see their face.

EDIT: Disregard what I said, I just remembered that that dwarf speaks a few times and that pretty much rules it out.
They'll probably just make her the sister of one of those dwarves in the show. Maybe she was inside of the giant lion, and helps make the costumes or otherwise run the behind the scenes aspects of the show. There's a lot of ways to go with that.

ThatQuietGuy

May 22, 2013
A very good ep. This was less of a review and more of a text recap though, you should go more into what they kept from the book and what they dropped, ect. rather than just summarize the episode.