Game of Thrones Season 7 discussion thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND)

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
I'll go against everyone else and say I thought this one was the least offending so far. I'm willing to cut the writers some slack on teleporting armies and fleets at this point, simply because they've obviously ran out of time and can't afford proper military logistics.
I'm fine with a little bit of flexibility on the passage of time, but what bugs me is how no-one in the show is acting like any time has passed.

So Jorah goes to Oldtown to get treated for his greyscale. In the second episode, the grand maester tells him that it's fatal, and then says that he'll be kicked out in the morning, because they need the room for patients they can treat. Then Sam does a dangerous forbidden surgery to treat the greyscale, and it works fine.

Skip to episode 3. The grand maester is examining Jorah's scabs, which look like they've had at least a few weeks of time to heal up - he had most of the skin of his chest removed, after all, and now he's basically free to leave. In the rest of the show, actions are happening that should have taken a few weeks; Jon has gone from Winterfell to Dragonstone, for example. So at this point, I'm assuming that a couple of weeks have passed since the end of the second episode and the start of the third.

But. The grand maester acts like this is the first time he's examined Jorah since his initial diagnosis. He reprimands Sam as if he just now found out that Sam had done the dangerous forbidden surgery. And he even said in the first episode; if Jorah doesn't commit suicide that night, he'll be kicked out the next day. But if Jorah has been healing up for the past few weeks, he should've had that conversation with Sam weeks ago. It would be important for him to do so, because if the operation had failed and Sam had contracted greyscale, he's an infection risk and needs to be quarantined! But it's only now that he bothers to bring Sam into his office and tell him off.

So what happened? Did the maester forget about Jorah for a few weeks? Did Jorah heal up overnight after having a ton of flesh literally stripped off? Why didn't anyone come into the cell to kick Jorah out, see him all bandaged and salved up immediately post-surgery, and go "hey, this guy's had some surgery done to him!" and then call the maester over to go examine him?

It's surprisingly little details like that which bug the crap out of me. They're what ruins my ability to suspend disbelief. You want weeks or months passing in between scenes, that's fine, but you can't have weeks or months pass in the narrative and then have the characters all act as if no time whatsoever has passed. It makes no sense. This is a series with an army of zombies and a fireproof lady who gave birth to three dragons, and it's only when the show starts twisting time into wibbly-wobbly knots that I actually go "Hey, this is bullshit!"

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Obvious: Littlefinger is toast and will probably be dead in either the next episode or the one after that.
I wouldn't be so sure. He's still needed to keep the Vale allied with the North, and Sansa seems to value his advice enough to let him follow her around all day talking about how she's gotta be sharp.

Littlefinger's gonna die, for sure, but it'll either be at the end of this season or during the next one.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Obvious: theres going to be a Sansa power grab.
Maybe. Sansa needs a reason to do that, though. Jon hasn't been sucking up to Daenaerys, which is one thing that might cause the Northern nobles to revolt. His expedition was actually very successful; rather than being held hostage until he agrees to swear fealty, he leaves with a stack of dragonglass to make weapons with and more to come.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Obvious: Jon is going to go on some sort of expidition to prove the existence of the white walkers and get completely and utterly cucked by the night king.
Cucked? Like...the Night King is gonna resurrect Ygritte? And then...shag her in front of Jon?

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Obvious: the wall is going to collapse because Bran is a dumb ass (D&D probably think NO ONE can see this coming).
I figure they're saving that one for the last episode, sadly. And why would it be a surprise? Mance Rayder had that whole thing about the fake Horn of Winter. At least, that was in the books. Did they cut that from the show?

But it wouldn't be surprising if the real one turned up in the Night King's hands and he used that to bring the Wall down. I think they should've done it in the first episode. That'd be one hell of a way to start the season.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Obvious: Jon and Dany are going to fuck.
I actually don't think they'll hook up. They seemed to kind of...hate each other, when they first met. That would be a legitimate twist; have the fanbase's one true super-couple finally meet, and then have each of them discover that the other one is their boner-Kryptonite.

My money is on Jon dying during the White Walker invasion and Daenerys surviving to rule Westeros.

Alternately, everything north of Dorne gets zombied, 90% of the cast get eaten, and Tyrion declares himself Dwarf-King of the ashes.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
It feels like a storyline which you've seen a thousand times before, like the writers are following the most vanilla manual on how to write a TV show with a war in it ever. Maybe my standards are too high but if they are, its because they set the bar so high themselves with the first 3 seasons. They really could have gone for something a little more unorthodox. Right now it feels like they looked up the most viewed articles on TV Tropes and used them as guidelines.
I do agree with all of this. This is all playing out far too predictably.

Jorah's looking for a cure for greyscale? Well, he'll go to Oldtown and meet Sam, and Sam'll cure him. Saw that coming last season. Melisandre gets exiled? She'll go back to Dragonstone, duh. Jon needs dragonglass? He'll go meet Daenerys, ah-durr. Everyone hates the Sand Snakes? They'll get murdered!

Like, at this point, I'm like "Wow! I wonder if one of the dragons will get killed by a ballista! And I wonder if all that wildfire that's still under the city might show up again when a bunch of dragons are setting the city on fire! I wonder if Arya will run into the Hound?!"

Five dollars on each of those ones happening.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
One of the Starks will kill him and Royce will come to lick Sansas feet and swear fealty to the north or something and we'll never see poor sweet Robin again. Screencap this.
Better scenario: Littlefinger dies, Royce says "f this I'm outta here", and he arrives back at the Eyrie just in time to be surrounded by the living dead and devoured along with Robin.

See, that'd be hardcore.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
So Ygritte better be getting that ice dick soon.
I find it really weird to think about fapping to a dead-eyed, burned-up Ygritte getting shagged by a lich king who looks like freeze-dried corpse.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
(Apropos, WHAT IN THE LIVING FUCK was that Bran scene last episode? "You were beautiful the night you were raped"?????)
I think it's meant to describe how he's becoming super detached from boring old human beings now that he has the ability to astral project throughout all of time and space.

Like, the Three-Eyed Raven had to upload all of his prophecy know-how into Bran's brain at the last minute because of Bran's mucking about with time and space. I imagine Bran would be like, WOAH, I CAN SEE ANY POSSIBLE BREASTS FROM ANY POINT IN HISTORY, OH HI SANSA, YOUR BREASTS ARE WONDERFUL.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
I think it's meant to describe how he's becoming super detached from boring old human beings now that he has the ability to astral project throughout all of time and space.

Like, the Three-Eyed Raven had to upload all of his prophecy know-how into Bran's brain at the last minute because of Bran's mucking about with time and space. I imagine Bran would be like, WOAH, I CAN SEE ANY POSSIBLE BREASTS FROM ANY POINT IN HISTORY, OH HI SANSA, YOUR BREASTS ARE WONDERFUL.
"I DID NOT HIT HER! I DID NOT! IT IS BULLSHEET! Oh, Hi mark!" And I am only being partially ironic when I compare Bran's dialogue in Ep 3 to the dialogue of The Room. I got the same vibe you got, that this is showing Bran slipping from his old self into fully becoming the Three Eyed Raven, but the dialogue, delivery and entire premise was just stupid.

He could literally have brought up anything else, like Rickon's death, Jon's resurrection or his vision of the Red Wedding, to deliver the same point about knowing about things he hasn't seen or heard of, while talking about it in that deadpan not-really-acting-voice. But no, let's go with the part that reminds us about one of the worst arcs of Season 5 and is so insensitive that it flies straight past the moral event horizon, with actual spoken words that are creepy as fuck "you were pretty when that guy raped you, lulz".

Like you said earlier about the entire part where Dany looses her allies to plot contrivance, the problem seems to be that the writers seem ignorant about the implications and context of what they are actually pushing out. Bran has always been a pretty boring character with an incredibly slow burning and unexciting arc ("let's walk for 4 seasons, then have you sit in a cave for one season!"), which is why it baffles me that they instantly play up his douchbaggery when we finally get a moment that might be poignant. It is the opposite of an Author Saving Throw, in that I've got no reason to like Bran and the first thing he does is that he reminds his (previously beloved) sister about how she was raped for no proper reason while being a total creep about it.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
aw crap. I just realized those reddit spoilers from months ago have been right on the money so far, so I may very well already know how everything plays out. >.< It'll make the week by week predictions a little dry if so, but eh, can't unsee them now.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
balladbird said:
aw crap. I just realized those reddit spoilers from months ago have been right on the money so far, so I may very well already know how everything plays out. >.< It'll make the week by week predictions a little dry if so, but eh, can't unsee them now.
Can you post the link? I really want to spoiled in this case. I don't care for surprises anymore, what I do care about is execution.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Can you post the link? I really want to spoiled in this case. I don't care for surprises anymore, what I do care about is execution.
Oh dear are you ever watching the wrong show.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BloatedGuppy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Oh dear are you ever watching the wrong show.
DO NOT LOOK AT THIS LINK IF YOU WISH TO AVOID SPOILERS!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/6d3nqs/spoilers_infinite_season_7_discuss_leaks_and/

Well I found the link and some of the things I was expecting to happen from what I have seen so far, the other stuff I completely did not foresee.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
And here I was thinking of you as a tolerant fellow.
Well, what you fap to is your business. You certainly won't offend the reanimated corpses of any fictional characters.

I'm just, like, y'know...wouldn't it be...cold?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
balladbird said:
Ah, I see you found them! Sorry, I'd have posted if I hadn't gone to bed early last night. XD I admit, while I don't like everything the show has done with itself since becoming free of the books, I'm a fairly simple man. It's hard to be promised something like

a zombie ice dragon

and not get at least a little invested

bastardofmelbourne said:
Well, what you fap to is your business. You certainly won't offend the reanimated corpses of any fictional characters.

I'm just, like, y'know...wouldn't it be...cold?
well, I mean, hands of gold, and all that.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Can I just say who the fuck is Karl Tanner and why is he so evil?
He was just a Night's Watch mutineer who got upgraded to minor villain status so Jon Snow had someone to fight in season...three? Yeah, season three.

He was pretty evil, but not as evil as Joffrey or Ramsay. Joffrey was Lil' Caligula, and Ramsay was Replacement Joffrey plus rape.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Can I talk about what I have just spoiled myself from the leaks revealed recently? And I mean to talk with other people that have seen the leaks for themselves and we will talk using Spoiler Tags.

But lets just say I wonder how different the story will be when George-y boy finishes his books because I worry about some of the decisions that have been revealed in the show might happen in the book.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Well... This changes things.
Some stuff happened in the first 3/4, but who gives a shit. The Dragon starts being a Dragon.

It's about time Danny put a score on the board. Highgarden's gold is now lost, or at least unable to be moved with any ease. Cersei is now unable to make payment to the Iron Bank. And, the element of surprise over the glorified ballista is gone, while a dragon took some (seemingly nonlethal) damage.

Also, while Jaime was saved from at the last second from fiery death, will he become a prisoner again or succumb to a watery grave?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
madwarper said:
Well... This changes things.
The gold was delivered ahead of the convoy. The whole scene starts with Tarly telling it has been moved inside King's Landing. Lots and lots of food was lost.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Can I just say I hate sparring fights between characters who are friends with each other, I can never see anything friendly with fighting even if itis practice.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
OH COME ON THRONES!!!!

God I was worried about this kind of garbage happening once RR's books were out of the picture.

You get plot armor and you get plot armor and you get plot armor! EVERYBODY GETS PLOT AAAARMOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR!!!!!!

And not only that but they didn't even have the balls to show that he survived and left it on a cliffhanger like that. I expect that BS out of soap operas, not a show like Thrones.

Tell you what Thrones, if Jaime ends up being dead, I'll take back everything bad I said in this post. I know you're going to disappoint me here but I really do hope you don't...