Game of Thrones: Why is it loved so much?

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Silvanus said:
OT: It's all to do with plot. T&A might get people to take a look, but plot keeps them there, and the plot defies expectations damn near every time.
I just now realized that the first two episodes of season 3 had barely any T&A at all. And you know what? I don't even give a fuck. Looking back at the previous seasons, it now seems like an unnecessary distraction that has no bearing on my enjoyment of the show. I hope they continue to tone it down.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Grape_Bullion said:
I'll start by saying I have never read any of the books or watched an episode of the television series. I really have no interest in it, so the plot and characters really aren't what I'm wondering about. I am wondering, why is it loved so much? What does it offer its fans that makes it so loved?
Did it...Did it really not occur to you that it might be the plot and characters?

Seriously, are you joking?

Amanda Diamond

Nov 2, 2011
Richly detailed world, dynamic and well-written characters, witty dialogue(mostly from Tyrion, though the others have their moments), there is T&A as well and the main characters die alot. That last one is a mild point of contention between myself and the series personally.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I think the show is ok. I don't love it, but I do find it interesting. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings but with more violence and tits. It also reminds me of LOTR in the sense that you need a fucking note pad to keep track of peoples names.

That being said, I'm also not big on LOTR.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
"Oh my GOD! FUCKING JOFFREY!"

*checks previous posts*

Why is there no mention of Joffrey? Come on, step it up guys.
Hmm. Let me think...

Because I just can't wait for the annoying degenerate spunk-stain to die, die and die again? Because I really think only dying once is not enough for him?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Interesting characters, a well developed world, compelling story, one could go on.

You say you have no interest in it, never watched it, never read it, then how do you know it does not interest you at all, the fact you made a thread asking about it says to me that you have some interest.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
I think a lot of people are in it for the tits. I liked the props and costumes, but everything else was meh to me. Also, WHY DO YOU CONSTANTLY HAVE TO SHOW SOME RANDOM WOMAN'S TITS?

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Try the first book. I know I read all ~600 or so pages in 3 sittings or so. I was fucking glued to it. It really all comes down to characters, as they are hilariously fun to watch and see what they do.

I will say this however. G.R.R. Martin is absolute balls at plot pacing. 5 books in and for all the claims that winter is coming, we're 3000 or so pages into the story and Winter has only just arrived.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
excalipoor said:
I just now realized that the first two episodes of season 3 had barely any T&A at all. And you know what? I don't even give a fuck. Looking back at the previous seasons, it now seems like an unnecessary distraction that has no bearing on my enjoyment of the show. I hope they continue to tone it down.
I don't mind it toned down, either. I expect they don't really need it now, though we still saw Bronn & that woman almost go at it.

The books do feature it, but not as heavily. The love between Ser Loras & Renly was implied rather than explicit, for example.

piinyouri said:
And one delightfully insane ************.
Oh! You mean Joffrey. Or Melisandre. Or Aeron Damphair. Or maybe Thoros, Ramsay Bolton, Oberyn Martell, Leyton Hightower, Pyat Pree, Kraznys, Viserys, Aerys the Mad King, the High Sparrow, Archmaester Marwyn, or Lisa Arryn (or her son).

Wait, did you mean Euron Greyjoy?

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Hannibal942 said:
Try the first book. I know I read all ~600 or so pages in 3 sittings or so. I was fucking glued to it. It really all comes down to characters, as they are hilariously fun to watch and see what they do.

I will say this however. G.R.R. Martin is absolute balls at plot pacing. 5 books in and for all the claims that winter is coming, we're 3000 or so pages into the story and Winter has only just arrived.
Eventually you realize everything in the story is actually in the most dynamic equilibrium of all time, like a supernova in a box or something, and it will never end.

Then you realize you don't give a fuck because why would you want it to end?

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
1. Plot
2. Characters
3. Nudity
4. Mystery
5. Popularity - what I mean by this is that because GoT is so popular it draws even more people in.

I also just want to say to all the haters out there. That while I
wanted a Stark to get their revenge on Joffrey
He is actually one of my favourite characters.

So delightfully evil.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
octafish said:
Peter. Fucking. Dinklage.

Really is there anything else to say?
Aye, he's excellent.

I'll start writing books and poems and scripts and whatnot just to get this wee melonfarmer some more opportunities to deliver Dinklage-flavoured awesomeness.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
From what I'vge seen, it's just another show that advertises itself as some epic mid evil saga yet it's just talking and nudity.

Basically, it's popular because of fanservice. And yet people hate Anime for doing the same thing.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
The show is probably the most interesting thing I have ever watched. The characters and plot are fantastic, it's so hard to pick a side to barrack for (Joffrey can go die in a hole though!)

I just got the books from my aunt and I can't wait to start reading them when I finish my current series.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Grape_Bullion said:
I'll start by saying I have never read any of the books or watched an episode of the television series. I really have no interest in it, so the plot and characters really aren't what I'm wondering about. I am wondering, why is it loved so much? What does it offer its fans that makes it so loved?
It's a fantasy TV series. That's seriously it.

There are hardly any of those. I can name the more recent ones: Hercules, Xena, Legend of the Seeker, Once Upon a Time (sort of), Camelot (before it got canceled), Merlin (which I can't stand), and... Game of Thrones.

Just having a fantasy TV series is rare. Having a pretty good one is rarer.

Note: I did not count Spartacus, the Tudors, or any other "based in the real world" series that lack magic.

Edit: The books, I don't care for.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
I think a lot of people are in it for the tits. I liked the props and costumes, but everything else was meh to me. Also, WHY DO YOU CONSTANTLY HAVE TO SHOW SOME RANDOM WOMAN'S TITS?
If you read the books, you'd understand. He describes sex and food in great detail.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
DugMachine said:
If you read the books, you'd understand. He describes sex and food in great detail.
Fucking and eating. Two things I don't enjoy.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
AlexWinter said:
1. Plot
2. Characters
3. Nudity
4. Mystery
5. Popularity - what I mean by this is that because GoT is so popular it draws even more people in.
Blood and Gore, you forgot blood and gore.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
DugMachine said:
Fucking and eating. Two things I don't enjoy.
Oh you'd hate his descriptions then. Seriously though, some of the way he describes food actually has me salivating while reading.