Game People Calling: Videogames Used to Sound Unique

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
I think it goes both ways. While many of the AAA blockbuster-type games tend to have the generic "epic orchestral soundtrack" there is a lot of room for unique and original sounds, too. Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, Mass Effect (1 and 2), Jade Empire, Persona 3 and 4 all have pretty unique soundtracks, for example.

That doesn't mean that a more "generic" soundtrack can't work, either. The Knights of the Old Republic games have a distinctively Star Wars-y sound, which actually works in their favor.

Final Fantasy as a series doesn't really count (IMO) as, until 7, they were still using sequenced music (and possibly still even then, I haven't played any of the PSX-era FF games apart from 7, and that music sounded like it was sequenced, even though the PSX could play CD audio). Even then, they still sound unique.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Was the soundtrack reviewer entering a competition in which the winner had to use the word 'really' most times in a single piece? My 14-year-old self had more confident a command of the English language. Can I have her job please?

As for soundtracks, I thoroughly enjoyed the MGS3 soundtrack (and that of the first) but that was helped along by my MGS fanboy status. Generally speaking, I wouldn't listen to a soundtrack that isn't a compilation a la Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs OSTs. The single exception to that rule is Clint Mansell's mesmerising Requiem for a Dream OST. That music is haunting.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
The ones I remember are the ones I used to play a lot. Tetris Man, I'd hear that one in my dreams!

MoOII: http://dvc.f2o.org/moo2/moo2.htm (My favorite was the Trilarian theme.)

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
In terms of those studios who can't really afford an Orchestral soundtrack i think the original STALKER worked wonders with it's mainly atmospheric soundtrack being digital, otherworldly and brooding. Really feeling talored to the game rather than just being obligitory stock 'scary'/ dramatic music. The use of pretty raw sounding sythesisers is something many other games could really do to set themselves apart and maybe also save a bit of money.

That was really cool, reminded me a bit of Majora's mask use of synths to get an Apocalpytic feel. Me likey...

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
Wait, wait, wait.

Alan Wake soundtrack and no mention of Children of the Elder God?

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
There's good and bad chip tune stuff, there's good and bad orchestral stuff and there's good and bad in everything in between. Why do you remember the Mario and Zelda themes and not Master Blaster? (Besides the fact that they've been drilled into your brain over the years.)

But to me the major oversight in this article are the sound effects. You recognize Mario's and Megaman's jumps or the particular hit effects of the various fighters. There's a reason VF5 uses the same sound banks as VF1, same goes for Mario, Zelda, Tekken, etc, etc. The stuff is distinct, even if not exactly memorable. I can recognize King of Fighters based on the sound, but not because of the music. I'm using fighting games here because that's what I know but I'm pretty sure this counts for anything you care to mention that has lasted over the years.

A personal modern highlight to me is the excellent sound score to Uncharted 1 & 2. They're instantly recognize them as themes to an adventure and they're very memorable as well. MGS also does a bang up job with its soundtrack. I've never played any of the games but I surely listen to the music.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
Danz D Man said:
Oh yeah, I forgot that all orchestral scores sound the same.

And that apparently video games are the little brothers of movies and have to try to be unique. Sure.

The Oblivion soundtrack is beautiful, as are all the Halo soundtracks.

I wholly disagree with this article.

Also, I didn't read the quoted bits as I didn't want to read a review of a soundtrack.
WTFF? movies are little brothers of games, unless you play flash stuff. while i hate orchestra for it's obsolescence, ME series makes perfect use of it. I would like to see authors from not so popular countries, like No Money from Czech republic, some of their tracks are masterpiece of DNB (immortals, drift, hood of horror). best to download from dvoikatroika.cz

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I can't shake the feeling of too little research.

What about the themes in 'Heavy Rain', the music concept in 'Red Dead Redemption', 'No more Heroes 1+2' and the distinct music in 'Assassin's Creed 2'?

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Reading that article I wasn't really sure what they were trying to point out. It'd be exactly the same as saying every movie soundtrack sounds the same. The real point is that sure there are a million action flicks with identical soundtracks and scores, but there are much more influential films which cement themselves into place as great movies with the soundtrack that perfectly compliments the experience.
Why should games be any different?

I know it's old hat, but goddamnit, Shadow of the Colossus has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. The game itself was such a masterful use of music in the right moments that it was, and still is, breathtaking.

Another everyone has to give props to is Red Dead Redemption. Jose Gonzales' track 'Far Away' was absolutely mind blowing when it was set upon me shortly after one of Red Dead's fantastic climaxes. I reckon anyone who isn't convinced of the game industry's pushing of the boundries of games as an artistic experience has clearly never played through Red Dead I reckon.

The track:

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
So what this post is saying is that music in games used to be good because the creators really had to think about what they were doing to fit it on the cartrige? Where as now they can do anything they want with music so not as much thought is put into it, except with Alan Wake which is better because it's soundtrack brings you back to points in the game and doesn't just sounding good? Hmmmmm
No just as much thought is put in now as it ever was, but I can see his point for example Legend of Zelda has always had epic music (almost always placing it as a central mechanic to gameplay), I'd love an Ocarina of Time soundtrack. If you're looking for a soundtrack that involves the player in the experience of a game that has to be the ultimate example.

IronyIsGood

Mar 21, 2010
Uh guys?
I don't think he was asking you to list your favourite soundtracks.
He said quite clearly that he wants less well known music for upcoming (ie: future) games NOT music you liked from games you've already played.
The soundtracks already up are great but this isn't a "my favourite soundtrack" thread.
"what music would you tip for inclusion in this Holiday's big releases?"

BeamSplashX

Jan 2, 2010
Dubstep music is a great mix of ambiance and energy. Heck, Burial's second album has samples from Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I think that soundtracks have improved a lot in the recent years, but I gotta admit that certain games do have some generic feel to it, like any korean MMORPG wich has a "cute" sense to it.

Halo 1 and 2 (3's soundtrack is a rehash of 2) had a great soundtrack that still gives me the shivers when I listen to them. The Metroid Prime series had an awesome soundtrack that's mostly synthesied, F-Zero GX, while it's entirely composed of electonic music, it's still got some of the best electro music songs I've ever heard on a game.

Blizzard games has their fair share of epic soundtracks. I simply love any sound that Blizzard ramms in to the game that sremotely sounds like music.

I still love the HL2 and the Episodes soundtracks. How can anyone not fall in love of Portal's credits song named Still Alive?

The game industry always had it's fair share of generic sound bits and bloops, even in the NES era. Only a few games, old and new, manage to sound distinctive and sound great, even 20 years later (I still love the bits and bloops of Batman 2 from Sunsoft in the NES).

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I was playing Portal a few weeks ago, and started to really pay attention to the music. I really enjoyed what was going on with it, and most of all I enjoyed how it complimented the game so well that I barely even noticed what was going on with it for so long. The music on its own, while cool, is nothing without the game.