Game People Calling: You Are What You Play

sudokucrazedman

Sep 28, 2009
I wish I were what I played. I could be a Rock Star, Lightsaber wielding Assassin, Shooting fireballs out of my hands and jumping high, Some unit from Fire Emblem, with swarms of elementally powered monsters that can fit in my pocket.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
By my shelf, I have a very severe case of Schizophrenia. Also, I'm including games without physical boxes, i.e: Download only titles, etc.

Lets see, Action Adventure, hardcore JRPG, decent WRPG, mixed, standard pure RPG, Action RPG, pure Adventure, some point and click games I can't actually play on my new OS but keep for memories sake, shooters, hack and slashers, beat-em-ups, a few cart racers, a few actual racers, a few of Open-World games, about 3 sand-box games, some FPS, and more I can't remember because I'm doing this from memory, and not actually looking at a shelf.

Also, about the controls thing. What if it has to be different according to the game? For example, I was never able to make the camera in SoTC feel right, no matter what combo I had with the standard/inversed camera controls. On the other hand, for Halo I have Vertical plane reversed and horixontal standard, Bioshock I had the opposite (vertical standard, horizontal reversed). On some older FPS's, I had both on standard, and yet on others, I had both on reversed.

Oy. I think my brain is broken.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
that would mean i'm defined by the games my 600GB disk has to hold, because I always have to get rid of the useless to make room for new. I just hope the AvP singleplayers are better than multiplayer demo(the alien is clumsy and pred got NERFed, he can't kill guy with 1 stab, and I miss my fucking speargun!(fucken thieves) also lasers are visible from outside and the cloak has flaws). I absolutely regret not having Soldiers of Fortune II double helix gold edition in its material form, what a trophy would it make.(Also I would want all GTA 3D, F.E.A.R., CS1.6 and STARLER CS)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
So, in that respect, I'm Commander Shepard?

I've had enough of your snide insuations, OP.

Mechalemmiwinks

Aug 27, 2008
Bah. Half my games are ones that I found at Target that had been clearanced 75% off. There's almost no relevant psychology to reviewing my collection.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Mine still have all the second hand labels on the covers, suggesting I don't give a shit. All the games are in their correct boxes, which suggests I'm the kind of guy who gets very pissed off when ass holes put the wrong game away in the wrong box. I almost never buy a game brand new (the only exception so far being Tropico 3 on a Steam deal) so I'm happy to wait.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Yes, your game shelf says something about you, just like any other behavior you might show. But I highly doubt it's as simple as this article says.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It is funny this is here actuallly. I was talking to my friends last night about this very question.

Got some intresting answers, and we agreed its just like books. Some people have certain books on the shelf and it can tell you aloty about who they are and what they like to do/think.

The same extension can be said to games. Like I have alot of RPG titles so, we came that I like a good story and that I like to see development above most else. Where as my friend had alot of puzzle games, so he was more likely to pick up a challenge and enjoy it.

Nice article ^^

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
I hate to say something this..retarded, but I am VERY varied in what I play and not...only thing I can read is that I like having things collected, but not necessarily in order, doesn't matter if it's hidden or in plain view.

Toastergoat

Jul 1, 2009
Looking at my shelf (or box where I actually keep them) I'm a single player kinda guy, I enjoy multiplayer games but they have to be based on a solid single player experience. Whatever special editions boxes I have are pre-owned. BUT! I am a very cheap man so a lot of times I buy whats on offer and sounds like cheap fun (Eat Lead £5) (50 Cent BOTS £15) you get the picture

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
Sparrow said:
So, in that respect, I'm Commander Shepard?

I've had enough of your snide insuations, OP.
or disingenuous assertions in the other ME.

D088Y

Apr 16, 2009
What if you traded all your games in for your old console when you brought your new one just to buy some newer games that aren?t as god *runs away to cry about mistakes made in the past*

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
factualsquirrel said:
Interesting article, although it does have a certain feel of looking into things too much.

Especially the "inverted look" thing, that feels like grasping at straws.

However, to answer the question, my gaming collection tells me that I have a very random personality, my gaming shelf is randomly arranged, I have a few GoTY editions, and a few release date titles, and I don't invert.
Actually that bit is one of the few things that gives this any kind of scientific credability other than someone's opinion on what things mean (which most of it is).

I say this because there has been a lot of study done on things like that, handedness and psychology, and "personality types". A lot of people resent pscyhology and sociology claiming that they can't be defined like a machine, but sadly that isn't the case. People are very much creatures of instinct, and while as sentinent beings we can move against our instincts and retrain ourselves intentionally, we still do things automatically. Ironically what people do automatically is in our best interests usually, and retraining our instinctive behaviors is usually a hinderance in the big picture.

At any rate, I'm rambling. The whole "inverted controls" thing is similar to pursuit training and similar things. Given a choice of directions at random, most people will instinctively turn in the direction of their dominant limb. This means most people will turn right, and you even see this in classic "follow the right wall" gaming strategy. However if someone is thinking about eluding pursuit, they will think in terms of whatever they feel is counter intuitive. Thus they will turn left. So this means if your chasing someone, the odds are that they are right handed and will turn left if you come to an intersection. It's had a lot of testing behind it, and when I learned it they made a pretty plausible case for the research. It's not a guaranteed thing but it DOES increase your odds. Someone who is trained to avoid pursuit can make things more of a true 50-50 guesstimate if they know a trained person is following them.

The logic inherant here is very similar, and comes down to the whole right hand/left hand thing and what people prefer, and how it affects which side of the brain is dominant, etc...

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
The games on my shelf say hey, I play video games and I don't like rts games. Oh, and I have every Bioware and/or Black Isle game for every system they were made for before this generation (lol @ paying $60 for a worse game on a console, except ME2 obviously), so I'm a fan of the best rpgs I guess.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Kuchinawa212 said:
Huh. So a nerd that has a liking for shooters.
Hmm...nerd I agree with, but I'm no gun nut
Well the article was intending to be non-judgemental and seemed to gloss around associating people with the type of games they play. Probably because that could rapidly get offensive, even if it was accurate. Truthfully, people CAN be judged by their preferances.

One of the whole problems with the article though is that it overlooks choice of game based on things like finances, physical abillity (I am Mr. Stumblethumbs nowadays) and the like. As well as how a gaming collection fits in with an overall hobby.

As an RPG fan I'd also say that just within that genere it could get complicated.

Then of course we'd probably see people making arguements for the immediate arrest and execution of people whose collections consist entirely of Hentai fetish sex game, survival horror, and children's games. :p

"Wow officer, how did you know I had handcuffs attached to my celling, a collection of Noah Cyrus lingerie, and a clown costume? Oh those stains? That's dried ketchup, I'm lazy and I spilled it... yes yes, I spilled it on the tip of my power drill too... oh and I just like to collect those missing kids pictures from the milk cartons... it's a hobby you see."

... sort of like what happened when people started developing psychological profiles based on Race/Class choice in D&D. It was based around totally differant reasons, but I still remember how close we came to community Guillitine policing when the studies got to "people who play Kender". Luckily it was never brought up for national review .