Game People Calling: You Are What You Play

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
I'm a vagabond when it comes to games, or a Ho maybe :p Seeing as I'll go for anything if it it'll be a play.
The only genre I'm not really prolific on is FPS games.
I do play, just not a ton.

so probably a gamer of all trades

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
No, not really. I just play games. The games I play say nothing about me, outside of what kinds of games I like. Sorry. : /

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I agree with some spots of this. I put my games in Order "Greatest Hits", "GH" in Chronological Order, when I run out of "Greatest Hits" games, I go Chronological in the games series (Not when I first Bought Them), and games I'm not big about I stack on top of everything else.

I have also showed loyalty one time to one particular series, and that would be Metal Gear Solid.

Here Goes:

Traded a Playstation 1 for a Sega Genesis from a good friend of mine,
Got Bored, Traded Every Sega Genesis game and the system itself BACK for a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on Nintendo Gamecube, went to a shopping mall, bought a Refurbished Gamecube for that one game and built a small library for that system.

I am still trying to tussel with the thought of buying a Playstation 3 or not so I can have my own copy of Metal Gear Solid 4 (Have played it, loved it, skipped having sex with girlfriend for four days to play it).

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
The same can probably be said with the look through a person's PC window. For one, if it doesn't have a window at all, you know that the person is not a hard core gamer XD

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
Hmm... I'd have to call myself a poor gamer.

Not poor in the terrible at gaming aspect, just poor as in financial.
The platinum editions of many games sit on my shelves, well worth the $20 and my hours of playtime at other people's houses. I can occasionally go for a brand new game and even at times go for the shiny edition (A prime case being having paid off and pre-order the Master Assassin edition of Assassin's Creed II in mid-August), but those are rare and well thought out in advance.

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
man my super nintendo gets more of a workout than my 360 does
thats what kind of gamer i am

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
The examples created in the article were pretty specific and rigidly defined. Yes, if I always bought special editions, or always completed a set of sequels even if many were bad, these might say something about personality. It's not cut that cleanly though. I have some special editions, but the majority are not. Some series I own all of, some I don't. Not sure much can be gleaned from my collection other than a) I like video games and b) I like a decent variety of genres, some more than others. Not much of a personality indicator.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
But I'm an introvert and my games shelf IS in the living room. You got me on the Tiger Woods motion plus thing though. And the Dual Strike thing come to think of it . . .

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, my shelf says "collects tons of games from magazines, lots of them high-quality, like Warcraft 2, Deus Ex, Larry series, King's Quest, Mortal Kombat, and buys high-quality cRPGs and action-RPGs like Diablo 2 (two copies of game + expanson), Neverwinter Nights... but didn't bother with expansions for NwN 2".

And same goes for my Steam collection - most are RPGs or hybrid RPGs. And my DS collection...

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Needs to get out more. Also it screams "BioWare fanboy", despite missing Baldur's Gate 1+2. NWN, KotOR, ME1+2, Dragon Age, Jade Empire.. :D
To sum it up:
Forgotten Realms games - Oblivion - Drakensang - King's Bounty - HoMM1-5 - Might & Magic games and a lot more.
Mostly a collection of RPG and FPS games, with the odd strategy/puzzler thrown in along with some action games and sandboxes (Saint's Row 2, Driv3r, GTA 1-IV including SA and VC).

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
The ones that actually are in boxes and not digital wouldn't say a whole lot about me.
3 RPG's Neverwinter Nights, Kotor and Masseffect
Loads of shooters - Full half life generation pack, (yes the 1999 version) plus everyother half life game, medla of honour, crysis, Bioshock
A few RPG's amd one or two hard to classify

susurs92

May 13, 2009
Artsy, unsociable backstabber with a wide fantasy and a thing for honor and morale.
Psychonauts, getting up, saboteur and 2nd and 3rd SH's are my top choices of forever- in all of those games i have just stopped and enjoyed the view- be it the Valtiel, graffiti covered horizons of the New Radius or the beautifully designed Velvetopia.
Also, I don't know why, but Fable the lost chapters tied me to the western rpgs for a lifetime- i enjoy changing the possible ending, choice moments and having a "medieval fantasy" (brings me back to childhood days of playing in woods or in the garden as knights or smthng ^^ :))
AAnd of course its the sneaky jerk games- Splinter cell, Thief etc (go **** yourself, Velvet assasin)- i just enjoy surprising and scaring people ]:) :D
p.s. shit, almost forgot- a complete LOTR fanboy

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Heh, I've bought Half Life (1) 4 times, HL2 2 times. And quite a lot of games twice or 3 times because I feel the need to own them in both physical and electronic (steam) editions. Plus some cd's have been scratched to death or been stolen or been loaned away to friends ad infinitum.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Although I agree that I'm an introvert, the real reason my games are hidden away is because my parents simply hate games.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
With all due respect, I find this article to be complete and utter Bullshit. Inverting your controls has nothing to do with your mindset. When I started playing FPS's, I used inverted, because that was default for the game I played. When I bought a shooter that didn't have the option to change to inverted, I simply switched my playstyle. Its all a matter of what your used to. And videogames say nothing about your personnality. Other than "Oh, this guy likes Mario games" or "This guy likes old games," there is NOTHING! You can only determine gameplay preferences from a person's library. You absolutely cannot determine personnality traits.

JLrep

May 8, 2009
This is a bit tangential, but why is TimeSplitters 2 considered to be superior to TimeSplitters Future Perfect? I own both, and I've honestly never run into that assertion.

JLrep

May 8, 2009
This is a bit tangential, but why is TimeSplitters 2 considered to be superior to TimeSplitters Future Perfect? I own both, and I've honestly never run into that assertion.

Oh, and I think whether you play FPSs with inverted or normal controls just says that you either got into the genre with GoldenEye or Halo.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
Slightly off topic:
By the logic proposed in the article, and the games I play, it would appear that, I'm a: warmongering, psychotic, genocidal, anti-social, schizophrenic, suicidal, racist, fanatical, communist, capitalist, fascist, bastard/asshole who enjoys: sleeping, animals, loot hunting, sports, science, building construction, killing zombies, sudoku, managing economies, charity, activism, education and....social....relations...?
[/]
In all seriousness, artificial divisionary profiling like that should be frowned upon. Generalizations like the ones in the article, are dubious at best, hence the "slightly off topic".