Game ruined by its fans

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
Is there a game you really like or even just like that you don't like to admit you like because of how terrible the fans of the game are or even can't enjoy as much because of how everywhere the fans of the game are? For me it'd probably be Halo

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
agentorange98 said:
Is there a game you really like or even just like that you don't like to admit you like because of how terrible the fans of the game are or even can't enjoy as much because of how everywhere the fans of the game are?

The playerbase ruined WoW for me. Antisocial jerks wherever you went.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Well, I don't exactly believe in something being ruined by something completely different being terrible. The most incoherent sentence of the day? You bet.

Anyway, I can tell you that some of the fans of the original Portal are just terrible. It's a great game, and it's extremely funny, but man have I grown tired of "Cake is a lie" by now. This has been on a downward trend fortunately enough, but there was a point where you couldn't even mention cake in any context without someone thinking they're witty by yelling "CAKE IS A LIE!"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No... not really.

Although there was The Witcher 2. Seeing how some of its fans behaved on this very site did not leave me kindly disposed toward them or the object of their admiration. Although by that stage I had already started disliking the game, so it might not count.

Also, some Bioware fans manage to severely irritate me in a variety of ways, as do their 'hater' counterparts. Thankfully, it has yet to hinder my immense enjoyment of their games.

J4RD

I didn't pay for this?
Jan 4, 2010
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
So many exploits...
So MANY assholes...

rreetteepp

May 2, 2011
Well I absolutely love all the saints row's it?s just a shame all the fans are idiot wanabee gangsters who love the idea of a (sigh) a purple dildo bat which is in the new one, which I can?t stand. The most annoying part about the saint?s row fans is that the people who make saints row are now starting to give them what they want aka dildo bat. Doing this unfortunately will make the game a lot worse in years to come

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
pretty much any game that reaches a certain popularity will have this problem then as time goes on it will mostly be abandoned except by the `true` fans who are more interested in playing the game than following the trends and as such its usually a nicer place I dont get any death threats on SSF4 now and much less abuse, it used to be if you win you have cheated and are unsportsman like and if you lose you are a noob who cant play the game.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Portal. "The Cake is a Lie" was intended to portray a previous test subject's descent into madness after realizing the truth about the aperture science facility. As a contextless response to anything and everything involving cake it doesn't have the same effect and after hearing it a few thousand times it doesn't even SOUND funny anymore.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I'm going to say a lot of the Battlefield fans. I don't think they've ruined the feranchise but they certainly seem like they're trying very hard too. It's mainly the almost comical levels of PC elitism that goes on the various Battlefield forums. Followed closely by QQing of things that weren't even issues.

rreetteepp said:
Well I absolutely love all the saints row's it?s just a shame all the fans are idiot wanabee gangsters who love the idea of a (sigh) a purple dildo bat which is in the new one, which I can?t stand. The most annoying part about the saint?s row fans is that the people who make saints row are now starting to give them what they want aka dildo bat. Doing this unfortunately will make the game a lot worse in years to come
You do realize that in the first Saints Row game you were highered to assasinate a guy wearing a hot dog suit, could bring one of your friends back to life as a zombie, and drove around with a soccer mom in a mini van selling drugs? I'm a little surprised it took them this long to have a purple dildo bat, especially considering GTA San Andreas did that years ago. I'm just saying Saints Row was never known for having some deep charecter driven narrative, like GTA IV did. Purple Dildo bat seems pretty par for the course.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
rreetteepp said:
because saints row wasnt rediculous enough to begin with?

my point being I dont see how it makes much difference, unlike say...adding a purple dildo bat to mass effect.....

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Modern Warfare 2 to be exact. I like Call of Duty they're fun games, but the fans oh god the fans. If you have ever talked to them you know what I mean when I say how bad they are.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
Now I'm not condoning the giant purple dildo per say but there are alot of things I like about the up coming Saints Row the Third, the comically absurd nature of some of the things in it is a welcome change from the ultra realism which is crippling the games industry today (this is my opinion but I'm looking at you Rockstar) but the coolest thing in my opinion is A) the fact that you start off the game with all the resources of a massive crime lord and B) the way between games you've turned the Saint's from a gang into a multinational brand, that's a really clever idea and seems hella awesome oh and also it has evil mexican wrestlers in it, this game was basically made by Batman fans

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
agentorange98 said:
Now I'm not condoning the giant purple dildo per say but there are alot of things I like about the up coming Saints Row the Third, the comically absurd nature of some of the things in it is a welcome change from the ultra realism which is crippling the games industry today (this is my opinion but I'm looking at you Rockstar) but the coolest thing in my opinion is A) the fact that you start off the game with all the resources of a massive crime lord and B) the way between games you've turned the Saint's from a gang into a multinational brand, that's a really clever idea and seems hella awesome oh and also it has evil mexican wrestlers in it, this game was basically made by Batman fans
I disagree

ultra realism is NOT a bad thing in of itself (and rockstar are NOT to blame, they have been making really good games that are somthing DIFFERENT like LA noire and red dead redemption..nd so what if GTA had a realistic feel? does that mae it a bad game?)

you know what to blame? devs/publishers sticking to the same BLAND FPS formula

Lord Le Camembert

Dec 20, 2010
Company of heroes... Great game, with noone wanting to play if they're not already sure that they're gonne win. Forgot the fun and now all they see is statistics...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CD-R said:
I'm going to say a lot of the Battlefield fans. I don't think they've ruined the feranchise but they certainly seem like they're trying very hard too. It's mainly the almost comical levels of PC elitism that goes on the various Battlefield forums. Followed closely by QQing of things that weren't even issues.

rreetteepp said:
You do realize that in the first Saints Row game you were highered to assasinate a guy wearing a hot dog suit, could bring one of your friends back to life as a zombie, and drove around with a soccer mom in a mini van selling drugs? I'm a little surprised it took them this long to have a purple dildo bat, especially considering GTA San Andreas did that years ago. I'm just saying Saints Row was never known for having some deep charecter driven narrative, like GTA IV did. Purple Dildo bat seems pretty par for the course.
to be honest though, I really enjoyed the story in SR2, theres some potential for some really interesting stuff in SR3