Game segments that made you need a break after. SPOILERS

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
I think the only game I've ever really done this with is with F.E.A.R. - original instalment only.

I had to take breaks from that game from time-to-time as it really got to me. I don't know if it was because I was young or because I am generally puny, but that is one of my favourite games ever, because of its great use of fear and tension - much greater than jump scares and cheap tricks.

No specific incidences come to mind, but there were definitely enforced breaks placed on myself from this game. It really drew out the length of the single player.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fox12 said:
Berserk did this to me though. The Eclipse. Seriously, it was bad in the show, but the book... good God. I needed to take a walk afterwards. It may be the only piece of fiction that ever made me break down in tears. It just too much to take, and every time you thought you'd seen the lowest point it just got worse. Even the scenes immediately following the event were perfectly executed, and exhausting. I was actually happy to see Puck, a character I hadn't liked before, come back. After descending that low, the audience needed a breather.
Indeed.

It was like Bambi's and Little Foot's mother's death for adults times a hundred. It's so strange when you realize that the moment just before the Eclipse everyone was already at their lowest point, but then it gets so, so, so much worse.

In a game, the moment in Metal Gear Solid 1...

...where you get tortured, and if you give in, Meryl gets killed.

The first time this happened I simply reloaded a save, but then I found out that doing this was the only way to get the Stealth from Otacon. :'(

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
1. Tomb Raider 2013. I need to take a break to break something after every fucking cutscene where Lara does every fucking thing wrong. It's like telling your pet it is a bad idea but it keeps doing it anyway.

2. Skyrim Dragons w/ Deadly Dragons+SkyRe. The last one took me 30 min to kill with Serana and J'Zargo, whilst hiding under a roof.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Avalanche91 said:
<spoiler=Persona 4 Spoilers>Not taking the correct dialogue choices accidently killed Nanako and jegus that was bleak
That part also for me, but then I realized what I did wrong and just got angry with Atlus for their shit translation and making it opaque as hell as to which choice you have to make.
Persona 3 has a few good moments like that, such as what happens after the Strength and Fortune boss fight.
Edit: Somehow clicked the post button without writing anything. Derp.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Typical any good boss fight in Dark Souls 1/2.

Also, the most noticeable moment in recent games had to be THAT segment in Burial at Sea pt2.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Casual Shinji said:

The first time this happened I simply reloaded a save, but then I found out that doing this was the only way to get the Stealth from Otacon. :'(
I remeber that. On one playthrough I did it to get the stealth and in the end it turned out that there was no stealth in the pc version. I was sitting there like "you have to better be fucking joking".

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Chris Tian said:
Casual Shinji said:

I remeber that. On one playthrough I did it to get the stealth and in the end it turned out that there was no stealth in the pc version. I was sitting there like "you have to better be fucking joking".
Oh man, that sucks. I remember first getting the stealth and it still having a very bitter taste due to how I had achieved it. Not getting it all would've sent me into a shit-fit.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
The ending of journey if of course pure emotional manipulation but it works.

Dark Souls, killing Sif after he starts to limp. They repeated that gimmick in DS2 with the rat authority.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
Nier, and everything it does to Emil.

Especially his death scene. God it was so heartbreaking. When a boss's last ditch magic effort tries to kill his friends, he uses magic to save them, with himself as a sacrifice. The kid puts on such a brave face for his friends, and then cries he doesn't want to die once he is alone. D':

After the above spoiler scene, I had to take a break for a little while.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
]Oh man, that sucks. I remember first getting the stealth and it still having a very bitter taste due to how I had achieved it. Not getting it all would've sent me into a shit-fit.
Yup, that sucked and I was like 13 at the time. I searched the net frantically for hours until I read something along the lines "if you play on pc and want stealth, sucks to be you" somewhere. Didn't play the game for month after that.

joest01 said:
Dark Souls, killing Sif after he starts to limp. They repeated that gimmick in DS2 with the rat authority.
The part with Sif is even more emotional if you played the DLC before and befriended him. He actually recognizes you in the pre fight cutscene.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
bluerocker said:
Good one. Actually the game has many such moments. Remember the robot fight? And overall letting the events pass before your eyes after you know whats what. Very 6th sense stuff :) I still haven't gotten all the endings, I believe there is another "true" ending that must be even worse.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
joest01 said:
bluerocker said:
Good one. Actually the game has many such moments. Remember the robot fight? And overall letting the events pass before your eyes after you know whats what. Very 6th sense stuff :) I still haven't gotten all the endings, I believe there is another "true" ending that must be even worse.
I actually haven't gotten through playthrough B yet. I heard the boss shades have some pretty sad backstories.

cthulhlu

Feb 21, 2011
Call of Cthulhlu: Dark corners of the earth has this moment where you are chased through a hotel, slamming doors behind you as you go, always just a few seconds ahead of the things perusing you, if you stop and look at them or any of the strange monsters you run past for even a second your caught and killed. Its the closest ive come to actual panic in a videogame.

As for having to stop due to pure exhaustion id say Dark souls, so many rage moments, but oh so satisfying to defeat.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
How about The Deep Roads in Dragon Age: Origins? It's a marathon of 4 dungeons complete with 3 boss fights and a mini-boss fight. I wouldn't consider it "emotionally" exhausting, but rather simply "mentally" exhausting. It may not take more than a couple hours to completely scour every nook and cranny of those caves, but god damn does it feel like you've been wandering in the depths for ages!

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Persona 3 ending. Once I realized what actually happened I just sat there, conflicted. I didn't know if I was supposed to be happy or sad.
Also Persona 4 true ending, but for different reasons. It was just so bittersweet.
And, of course, both endings of Front Mission 3. It just felt like an end to the life long adventure.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The first half of the hotel in Silent Hill 2 was quite the emotion killer. That game took my feels and battered them until I just had to put the pad down and sit for a few hours. Why? Well at the half way point, there's the flaming staircase scene. Oh I feel the need to both slap and hug whoever came up with that scene.

Aug 1, 2010
I can think of two off the top of my head.

1) Just recently in Wolfenstein: The New Order. The bit towards the beginning(I hope) on the train where the lady tests you with the pictures. That shit was [i/]intense[/i] and I let out a massive breath when I survived it then went and walked around and had some food.

2) My very first Ornstein and Smough kill. I was playing mostly Dex with a bit of everything else. I had no flasks, Ornstein was dead and Smough was on his way down. I switched to the bow and proceeded to kite him for about 40 minutes. plinking away.
When he finally dropped I just fell backwards onto the bed I was sitting on and started breathing again.
Then second playthrough I made a Mage and completed the whole fight in under 5 minutes. Go figure.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Groxnax said:
The Walking Dead game from Telltale games.
Truth... I played it after the full release so had all 5 at once. I figured I'd marathon them, but almost every episode made me put the controller down and reflect. 3 and 5 hit particularly hard.

In a different way, there's a part in System Shock 2, I think it's in engineering, where you have to go into these cargo holds. You'll know the part if you've played it. Three stories and... protocol droids. I was so enthralled/horrified by the game up until that part, and that segment just broke me. Felt like Ripley heading back for the cat in Alien.

And that's when I realized System Shock 2 is the bestest game ever :)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
After beating David in SMT IV...five minutes ago. Mainly because the **** kept spamming instant death spells that took out half my party before I could even get a turn to move and beating him felt like I had smashed down a brick wall by headbutting it. I know it's not the same level as what this thread is going for, but I seriously needed to put the 3DS down after that.