Game series with the best music.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
For me, it'll always be the theme to The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. It's so tranquil yet so passionate, it feels like there's something alive and energetic moving in the music under the notes.

I cannot avoid goosebumps every time I hear it, even a decade on.

For best original pop song, the award might go to Still Alive from Mirror's Edge... although I haven't really thought through this category that much.

For overall atmospheric soundtrack, it's probably the grungy electronic music in Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Here's the main "theme" that plays in the menu and at other points:

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Well, Final Fantasy goes without saying, the series is long and has had some of the best tracks any video games has ever had.
Even the Spin-Off that few people admit to liking has music that will whip you into a frenzy:

I love the Final Fantasy music and, the tracks I've heard have stuck with me. I still consider Theatrhythm to be the best non-Mario reason to own a 3DS and recently I played through the Opera section of Final Fantasy VI for the first time in years and was almost moved to tears (because I'm a wuss).

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Hmm...I'm gonna say Blazblue.

I like the heavy use of guitar and the way every song has a lot of personality. Though in fairness, I think the Chrono Phantasma Remixes aren't as good as the originals generally. They sound too electronic and synthesised.

Smashingpass

Jan 10, 2013
So many good options. The Halo series has a great soundtrack, as does the Fallout series. The Walking Dead's music, whilst not the best, helped contribute to the sadness of many scenes. But one of my favourites has to be this, which I'm fairly certain is played in limbo (the void, not the game):

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Yea chalk another one up for Nobuo Uematsu and Daisuke Ishiwatari, they are masters of the medium for sure. Though it would be a crime to not mention yasunori mitsuda, the guy behind Chrono Trigger/Cross sound tracks. I can't wait to hear the rest of Soul Sacrifices music (which he is doing), it's bound to be a treat.

deathzero021 said:

Falcom's games have awesome music. Mostly the Ys series but even the Legend of Heroes has some great symphonic music.
SillySam said:
The Ys series definitely have some of the best music
*Bro fist*

So I'm not the only person around here who knows about Falcoms kick ass music team, awesome. The Ys series has some of the best music of any game series I know. Not to mention the fact that Ys was a very important video game series in ragards to music, and not a lot of people relaize that.
Falcom JDK are kick ass musicians, and I can't wait to hear Ys:Celceta's music.

My favorite theme in the entire series:

Christopher N said:

I like the heavy use of guitar and the way every song has a lot of personality. Though in fairness, I think the Chrono Phantasma Remixes aren't as good as the originals generally. They sound too electronic and synthesised.
That's been my issue with hearing some of the remixes from CP as well. Maybe that's because Diasuke is not involved in this versions music...and it really shows with the more electronic sound as you said.

Not all of them are bad/iffy though, I actually like the new Rebellion and Lust Sin. The new version of Rebellion is a lot more...rebellious, more energetic and wild. Original Rebellion is still awesome, but it's kind of mellow. New Susanooh is pretty good....but you still can't top original Susanooh, that shit is gold.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
-Seraph- said:
snip

Christopher N said:

That's been my issue with hearing some of the remixes from CP as well. Maybe that's because Diasuke is not involved in this versions music...and it really shows with the more electronic sound as you said.

Not all of them are bad/iffy though, I actually like the new Rebellion and Lust Sin. The new version of Rebellion is a lot more...rebellious, more energetic and wild. Original Rebellion is still awesome, but it's kind of mellow. New Susanooh is pretty good....but you still can't top original Susanooh, that shit is gold.
...Interesting. I'm...Okay, I'm utterly repulsed by the new Rebellion, and for reasons which are inversion of why you like it. It sounds caged, too controlled to me and it just doesn't chalk up to the wild, roaring, organic guitar in the original. . I think about the making of it, I see a guy at his computer rather than Ishiwatari shredding on guitar. LUST Sin II is okay...Never really cared for it. Susanooh II sounds more oriental to me with the wood flute opening has been more emphasised and it seems to have avoid the pitfalls of other remixes so I wouldn't really rate it better or worse than the original, just different

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
Okami. This is literally the only game to make me cry at an ending (The Walking Dead almost joined it, but just missed out). The music really sealed it, because it shows the (Spoilers by the way) failed moment during that final battle, where Ammy is misled and loses her power, but then through the magic of belief (Don't even start an argument about religion or I'll slap your shit) she regains it and is even stronger. The music just punches it through. It shows that she has finally returned in ALL her glory. The music throughout the whole game was brilliant, and due to my inability to link stuff I will not bother. Just look up it's soundtrack. Also, it's Credits song. That wins on it's own merits.

Baron Tanks

Mar 3, 2013
With a knife to the throat, Halo will probably take the cake. Not just the infamous opening score, but the combat music was great too. Some other good mentions I saw were Bastion (that game was all about atmosphere anyway) and MGR: Rising knows how to get you pumped for a battle.

And this one always gets me in my tranquil and zen place:

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Metroid Prime always stands out for me.
Otogi 1&2 have an excellent score as well.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Anyone who did not say Suikoden is wrong, but thanks for playing.

Here are about 1% of the awesome tracks, most done by Miki Higashino, who also did the music for Gradius, helped arrange the music for Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Dracula X, as well as many other projects for Konami.

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
-Seraph- said:
*Bro fist*

So I'm not the only person around here who knows about Falcoms kick ass music team, awesome. The Ys series has some of the best music of any game series I know. Not to mention the fact that Ys was a very important video game series in ragards to music, and not a lot of people relaize that.
Falcom JDK are kick ass musicians, and I can't wait to hear Ys:Celceta's music.

Yeah, the Ys series and Falcom games in general don't seem to be as popular as the other JRPGs
My favorite is Ys II, it's my first entry in the series and the Eternal versions of the 'Open Your Heart', 'To Make The End of Battle' and 'Ruins of Moondoria' are just so good in the game

You can find the Celceta soundtrack on Youtube [http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvjAHc-ggb9abLpimd7Vj6107IqfAm5uB] now

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Kingdom Hearts is a given. Yoko Shimomura is a magnificent genius.
In related news, nobody should be surprised to see The World Ends with You showing up in this thread.
And a personal favorite, Spyro: Year of the Dragon. Stewart Copeland really outdid himself that time.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
What ONE game, or series of games, would you say has the best music overall in gaming?
Any answer to this question that isn't Bastion [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWAcgefsQQ] is completely and utterly wrong.

If no one in this thread beat me to it, I will be very disappointed in all of you.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Can't beet the OST for the original three Halo games and the first Mass Effect (maybe two).

Soundtrack wise, Saints Row 2. The Fall of Troy and Paramore, don't mind if I do. It also let you buy music in-game and make a radio playlist.