Game series you would like to see made into an 'mmo-like' experience.

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
.hack// i mean seriously, this should be an mmo already. they had one that was a japan only ps2 game that was actually really good except for the fact that it was ahead of it's time for a console mmo.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Kotaro said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned .hack yet. The games are already designed to feel like MMORPGs (as they take place in an in-universe one), and I am shocked that Bandai never got around to making an actual .hack MMO. Some of the gameplay systems would need to be tweaked, sure, but if they were to make an MMO that plays similarly to .hack/G.U., I would play the hell out of it forever.

They had one. i heard it was good but ended up bombing. Frankly I would be satisfy with a new, good series.

OT: I can't think of any series than I would want to be an MMO. Unless they try to and make it different than a WoW clone of a bad F2P game.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
SerithVC said:
.hack// i mean seriously, this should be an mmo already. they had one that was a japan only ps2 game that was actually really good except for the fact that it was ahead of it's time for a console mmo.
CrazyBlaze said:
Kotaro said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned .hack yet. The games are already designed to feel like MMORPGs (as they take place in an in-universe one), and I am shocked that Bandai never got around to making an actual .hack MMO. Some of the gameplay systems would need to be tweaked, sure, but if they were to make an MMO that plays similarly to .hack/G.U., I would play the hell out of it forever.

They had one. i heard it was good but ended up bombing. Frankly I would be satisfy with a new, good series.

OT: I can't think of any series than I would want to be an MMO. Unless they try to and make it different than a WoW clone of a bad F2P game.
Guys, .hack//fragment was not an MMO. It had online multiplayer, but it was not an MMO. You could only interact with other players if they were in your party. There was a text-based chat lobby, and players could form guilds (which were really just private chat rooms), but it was a far cry from being a true MMO.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
NONE!

Seriously, it ruins great franchises. I was pissed that TOR was a MMO instead of being KOTOR 3, a single-player RPG. GTA Online sucks balls. Don't ruin awesome franchises by making it an MMO (I am looking at you Mass Effect. Don't make it an MMO)

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
I honestly, sorry OP, don't want anymore MMOs. I just want bigger, better singleplayer games. And dear lord I can't believe someone wants a Souls MMO. I mean to each his own. Maybe if they just had a PVP Souls MMO. I still just want my Singleplayer Souls. Fighting bosses solo with server lag, no thanks.

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
Normally I'm against MMOs, but Megaman: Battle Network was basically set in an MMO, so it'd just be removing the middle man.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I honestly cannot think of any series that would be improved by being populated by hordes of overdressed, poorly animated heroes of the ages bunny hopping along on their great quest to slay 11/15 Monster Xs.

Dear games industry, please keep that shit out of anything I give the slightest of shits about.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
WhiteFangofWar said:
Persona. 'Yo dawg, I heard you like socializing so...' After suggesting it in a similar post, I started thinking about how the social sim aspects could be carried over into an online environment. Maybe the game could open with various questions following series tradition and assign an Arcana corresponding to the choices made. Beside different Personas, players would have different preset dialogue options depending on the characteristics of their Arcana (Chariot is usually physically strong and loud, Hermit is usually quiet and wise, Emperor and Empress are born leaders, etc.), while building Social Links with another player allows for the creation and use of Personas of the Arcana of that player, thus encouraging interaction with other players whether through group combat or not.

The other thing that occurred to me is that the Persona series is in general harder than most MMORPGs even if the other players know what they're doing and what elements not to use on which enemies, but judging from positive reception to Wildstar, these games could potentially benefit from a good infusion of challenge to make people pay attention, and I suppose it wouldn't be so different from Persona 3 not allowing you to control your allies and them occasionally making stupid moves. People still loved it.
They beat you to it [megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Persona_Mobile_Online]

Too bad it's Japanese only... and on mobile phones.
OT:
I can't really think of anything that either hasn't been mentioned or probably isn't really good idea. There are actually a few MMO's based on franchises that I'm interested in however:

Bravely Default Praying Brauge and web Phantom Brave are both browser MMsO's based on games I've liked but neither of them are in English and likely never will be.

Shin Megami Tensei : Imagine was available in English for awhile and I even had an account for it. The last few international severs were shutdown a few months back and I never got past chapter 4 because I was to shy to ask for help on a dungeon raid. I'm going to have to see if I can get on the Japanese servers someday...
It probably wouldn't benefit the game at all but I hope it gets a console release if it's ever relaunched. I think it might work on the Wii U without much tweaking to the gameplay.

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn looks neat and is available in English but I don't have the money for the collectors edition and if I can't get it before the codes expire then I'm probably not going to get it unless they make the Fat Chocobo mount available to everyone else. It's Fat Chocbo or bust for me.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008

I can't think of any series that would be improved with any sort of Online Open World experience.

Mainly because the attempts to do so end up trying to ape WOW and fail, plus it tends to kill any chance of a single-player continuation of the universe.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Kotaro said:
Definitely this. Loved everything about .hack

Diddy_Mao said:
Armored Core.

The basic setup of the AC universe is primed for faction based play and a steady stream of cosmetic and/or functional gear upgrades as well as an in universe PVP arena.

A few tweaks to balance the combat and Bob's yer Uncle! You got a shiny new MMO.
That is another series I loved and always thought would be an interesting online gameplay, the only thing is I can't really imagine how thousands of mechs flying around would realistically work.

TKhanman said:
Fallout, because it's already a perfect setting for a sandbox MMO.
I would absolutely love for a fallout mmo to be made, it is pretty obvious gamers seems to love post apocalyptic games.I would be worried after how poorly Fallen Earth was done, but if they did it right I would support it 100%.

Elvis Starburst said:
If I had to pick, I guess an open world Monster Hunter MMO. Yes, I know Frontier exists. No, I mean pure open world. You accept a quest in a town, go travelling yourself to the location, and kill said monster. Or, you wander the world and come across giant monster fights at random, with other hunters joining the brawl.

.............. Ok, now I do kinda want it
I completely agree with this, the entire concept of the Monster Hunter mmo would be similar to Lost Planet or Dragon's Dogma. You go around taking quests and going on giant monster hunts to get resources, how much more simple could it be right? It practically screams success.

Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Mainly because the attempts to do so end up trying to ape WOW and fail, plus it tends to kill any chance of a single-player continuation of the universe.
These seem to be the primary complaints against the idea so I would like to address these. I would like to make this perfectly clear as I don't think my explanation of 'mmo-like' really covered it. I am talking about anything massively multiplayer here people. It is not restricted to same tired mechanics repeated and over used in WOW and so many of its clones. Games that you could honestly say "hey I loved X's Gameplay, I wish I could have something like that with more people!". This is your ideal here, not something you would want pitched to destroy the rest of a single player franchise and not something you would want restricted to the same tired systems used before. Think of upcoming titles like 'Star Citizen','The Division', and 'Black Desert' those are all games that are breaking away from the traditional mmo mold to further expand upon the premise by keeping core gameplay elements in a massive world. The Division is basically going to play like a ghost recon title with a massive online component. There are other games such as 'Kingdom Under fire II' which will be keeping all of the core gameplay of the original, a full single player story and an mmo component built in. Something like that.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Mass Effect. Mass Effect. Mass Effect. Mass Effect. Mass Effect.

If there's any predominately single-player franchise that cries out for an MMO, it is Mass Effect. I know it's really fashionable to shit on MMOs, mostly because Yahtzee does it and everyone likes to parrot what he says (I sympathize, honestly; he's a smart man), but Mass Effect has this established universe with established races, classes, limitless non-combat roles, thousands of potential locales, rich lore, and more room for expansion than Warcraft ever had. Seriously. Mass Effect.

Gankytim

May 14, 2014
Still too soon after Knights of the Old republic, OP.

Doesn't it take 20 something years for something that tragic to be okay to joke about?

Seriously though, what singleplayer game would be improved by large-server multiplayer? Kerbal Space Program.

Think about it, you've got very loose goals letting the sandbox multiplayer shine, you've got the already chaotic task of keeping your nose pointed the right direction made more difficult by other players and therefore more chaotic (and fun?).

What's more, you have the benefit more veteran players giving newcomers a quick tip.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Um... I really wouldn't wish that fate on any series even one I hated.

But, I don't want to be that guy so I'll say seeing how it's been bastardized already. Legacy of Kain set in the time of the Ancient Vampires and Hylden.

Couldn't be any worse then turning the series into a free to play third person god damn mother fucking shooter aaaaghaokgjodjglkjsdflkjghl >.<!!!!

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Chester Rabbit said:
But, I don't want to be that guy so I'll say seeing how it's been bastardized already. Legacy of Kain set in the time of the Ancient Vampires and Hylden.

Couldn't be any worse then turning the series into a free to play third person god damn mother fucking shooter aaaaghaokgjodjglkjsdflkjghl >.<!!!!
I actually got into the beta for Nosgoth and I hate to admit that it is decent. It is set in a time that doesn't really conflict with the established lore and I can't argue that the game is fun (especially as a Razielim...wings are rad okay?).

80sboy

May 23, 2013
Jim Trailerpark said:
none. Because mmo games are the plague of gaming and should be abolished
My sentiments exactly. Until MMOs can break away from the curse of WOW (considering it's almost a 10 year thing now I'm willing to unfortunately say NEVER). It would just be pointless to do so.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I have always said Pokémon to this question.

Don't care if Kanto and Johto, or just one, or all continents, but being able to roam freely, not put a level system, per se, but more of skill based system so you can start anywhere and go anywhere, at any time.
No idea how it would work, but I want Nintendo to make it happen!
Amiibo god damnit, amiibo!!!!