Gamer Sends 2,240 Bottle Caps to Bethesda to Pre-Order Fallout 4

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Sewa_Yunga said:
Major_Tom said:
I hope he won't try to send 2000 military grade 5.45 rounds to 4A Games.
Maybe his next step is to send a couple of small nuclear warheads to Bethesda. That would certainly get him way more attention.
You mean some of these? [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_%28nuclear_device%29]
I am not entirely sure the post office would like the idea. :p

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Slot me in with everyone else saying it's a fun idea ruined by the actual demand for a copy of the game.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Ohboy... I'd say let him have it....

But then again, IF they give him his Preorder...
I see a Heckload of Fallout Fans getting their Caps out in the close future.
And in Some Weird cases (and old timey fans back from 1997), Bethesda will be swarmed with Boxes upon Boxes of Caps.

I wish I could say let him have it, but I doubt they will, cause pounds of scrap metal don't make a good trade for >40$ Games.

As far as PR goes: remember that we are talking about the same guys, who sued Mohjang over Scrolls. Their Lawyers will be quick to bunk it on the head.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I would send him back a $20 bestbuy gift certificate with a note that says "inflation is a *****".

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
jklinders said:
Are they Nuka Cola caps? If not, then I think they are not gonna be accepted.
Damn. That's what I came to say. "Only Nuka-Cola and Sunset Sarsaparilla caps function as currency".

I'd also say that since so many of those caps were Angry Orchard and Sam Adams caps, maybe Bethesda should send him an brochure for the Betty Ford clinic. HEY-OOOOH!

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
What alloy is the usual bottlecap and how much could you get on a scrapyard for 11,5 pound of it?

captcha: the extra mile
Sometimes i wonder if skynet is already here.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Like all else above me i agree he should not have the "make them to nervous line".

.....but i do think it was ok for him to ask for the game in exchange for the caps......just dont demand it like that.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
I would be better if they made reference to it in the game itself. Like just a box with his name on it containing that many bottle caps.

Geofuji

May 2, 2010
Well if that fails maybe we can send them some "Skooma" for some Elder Scrolls stuff : )

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Mister K said:
Yep, it is funny.
Bethesda should send him a semi-destroyed dvd-box with scratched disc with F4 logo on it. What? You think that in 2240 the disk will be as good as it is on the release date?
You would be surprised on Ebay bottle caps can be worth a good bit I think 1000 is worth around 30+ so hes paying the right amount.

OT: I wish i had thought of this XD

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
GabeZhul said:
I would say they would have obviously given him a free game, possibly with a free DLC pass to boot if not for the "making them too nervous to refuse" comment. Without that it would have been a golden egg of free advertising in the gaming and social media. With that, it is suddenly extortion where the guy targets their reputation and holds it at ransom during the high-point of the Fallout 4 hype wave.
My thoughts exactly. That pinpoints the exact moment where he crosses over from 'clever' to 'obnoxious' - territory. I say, Bethesda should either send him a gag reward (this thread has seen several great suggestions already) or just ignore him altogether.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
They'll probably say it was funny, the first time. They probably will give him a copy, but issue a release saying it was a one off thing.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
busterkeatonrules said:
GabeZhul said:
I would say they would have obviously given him a free game, possibly with a free DLC pass to boot if not for the "making them too nervous to refuse" comment. Without that it would have been a golden egg of free advertising in the gaming and social media. With that, it is suddenly extortion where the guy targets their reputation and holds it at ransom during the high-point of the Fallout 4 hype wave.
My thoughts exactly. That pinpoints the exact moment where he crosses over from 'clever' to 'obnoxious' - territory. I say, Bethesda should either send him a gag reward (this thread has seen several great suggestions already) or just ignore him altogether.
I personally like the suggestion on Imgur. Sending them back one by one(or how ever many) till Fallout 4 is released. Beccause seriously, atleast he's honest though I guess.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
As I said in the other thread about this, I hope that they do something for him. However, they are going to have to stamp it home that they will not be accepting this again until after the war is over. Well, unless of course they actually want to start stalk-piling caps so that when the nuclear apocalypses does come they'll have control of the money.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Considering it's still a Bethesda game, I probably would've sent them 2,240 bugs instead.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TitanAura said:
I would be better if they made reference to it in the game itself. Like just a box with his name on it containing that many bottle caps.
Most likely something like that - he gets a bit of a reference in the game itself. Probably a bigger reward than just getting the game for "free" (shipping of that box couldn't be that cheap, so it's not really free.

It's also one of those things that doesn't make much sense when you actually think about it
Ironically, it makes A LOT of sense and the games straight up explain why bottlecaps (or sodacan rings in Tactics) are used:
Bottlecaps are too hard to counterfeit, exist in high quantity without being unlimited available (technically, in game-mechanics, they are) and are still small and easy enough to carry around like coins.
They are, however, still produced properly as a few bottling machines survived, but it's a very controlled process.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have to admit mentioning the intimidation tactic was a bit tacky, but it's a cute stunt none the less. It's up to Bethesda how generous they want to be, and it is a fair point that you don't want to encourage too many stunts like this. The most I'd be hoping for would be a letter back or something (and not depending on it, it would just be cool to know they got it), sort of like when someone enlarged, printed, and filled out a Mann company order slip and sent it to Valve, and wound up getting an in-character response back. :)

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
I don't know about giving him a copy of the game as it would sprout copy cats, but they really should do something for the guy, I dunno give him a tour of the Bethesda studios, have lunch with the developers, let him come up with his own free DLC for the game, something to acknowledge his effort and tenacity.