Gamer Sends 2,240 Bottle Caps to Bethesda to Pre-Order Fallout 4

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
You know, the initial idea was clever, but personally I think he should've gone a little bit farther, really show off for Bethesda. Such as:

- Washing the bottle caps, making sure no alcohol/soda residue is still on them.

- Spray paint them the appropriate color. Bonus points if the shades of red are different for both Nuka Cola and Sunset Sarsaparilla, and if most were still Nuka Cola.

- Make a Nuka Cola template, and then spray paint each bottle cap to look authentic. Again, bonus points if he went the extra mile for some Sunset Sarsaparilla caps.

- For the ultimate in extra credit, pick out a few Sunset Sarsaparilla caps and paint a small blue star on the underside.

Congratulations! Your hard work probably would've absolutely made the day of some Bethesda employees, as well as impressed quite a bit of the internet. Quite a few other people would think you have no life, but who cares what they think? It's still neat.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I like the cut of his jib, but we'd have to end the world first, and that's just a pain. They should probably do something for him on account of how funny it is, but not the game because that's business.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
This does raise the question of how our characters carry over twice this amount in their pockets.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Barbas said:
Most enterprising and amusing. I say give the man his game, since he was the first to think of it.

EDIT: A nice comment on the Imgur page:

In an old abandoned office building in Fallout 4, there is now a dusty box containing 2240 caps.
That sounds like a good Easter egg to me.
This would be a great response.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Where the heck did he get all these anyway?
according to the guy himself, who made the post on reddit announcing this, when New Vegas released he was in colledge and decided it would be a good joke to save his bottlecaps to prepare for the apocalypse. Fast forward many years and a drinking habit, and you got this.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I read the last sentence as "pre-car wash" and had to stare at it for fifteen seconds.

By now we should all know the rules of "this is smart, so they'll do it once." Even if they guy is kind of a dick about it, that's what every stunt like this is. He just said it out loud this time. I mean, basically, this has been done over and over with gamers, they just hunched over with their hands wringing together looking up at whomever with big, watery eyes.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
K.ur said:
What alloy is the usual bottlecap and how much could you get on a scrapyard for 11,5 pound of it?
Yep, that's your exchange rate right there. Even if droves of fans copycatted Beth would still make their money. Alternately, they could work backwards to find out how much weight in caps would cost $60 to ship. Either way, any smartasses would give up as soon as they realized the 'clever' payment option was costing them more.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Wereduck said:
K.ur said:
How much could you get on a scrapyard for it?
Yep, that's your exchange rate right there..
I looked it up afterwards and couldn't find anything useful. But Wiki says it's either tin steel plate or chrome steel plate. Found nothing about that, but steel and tin goes for around 0,60$ to 1,00$ the pound.

So it would be closer to 20 000 Caps.

Note: I'm in germany. No guarantee for correctness.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
StewShearer said:
Hey Stew, in case you haven't heard, it looks like it's time for an update. Guess what? Bottlecap guy got what he wanted.

http://www.cnet.com/news/bethesda-grants-gamers-wish-to-pay-for-fallout-4-with-real-bottle-caps/

If you need something to cite.