Gamer Subculture Study

Aug 31, 2012
34 M

1. Do you consider yourself a member of the gamer subculture?
No
2. How many hours of videogames do you play a week?
0-20
3. Do you tend to play videogames by yourself or with friends?
Self
4. How many of your friends play videogames?
5. Do you play online? How many hours online do you play?
No
6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames?
0-4
7. What kinds of videogames do you play?
TBS, RTS, FPS, RPG
8. When did you start playing videogames and why?
1991 other kids at school had computers, looked fun
9. How do your parents feel about videogames?
no idea
10. If you have free time and aren't playing videogames what else do you do?
read, visit friends, take drugs, cycling, DJ, make music, paint minis
11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.)
not at all.
12. What grades do you get in school/college? (If Applicable)
I go the equivalent of As and Bs
13. Do you have a job? How many hours a week do you work?
not currently
14. Has playing videogames ever negatively affected school/work performance?
no
15. Have you ever skipped work/school to play videogames? How often?
no
16. Why do you play videogames?
convenient distraction while at home
17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players?
aggression, maybe, violence no
18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession?
no idea
19. Do you ever see yourself not playing videogames?
yes
20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.)
nothing

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I'll throw you a bone here

No. Video games in some form or another are pretty ubiquitous with three generations, so I think the whole subculture thing is a thing of the past. Obviously there are varying levels of dedication, but overall if you're under the age of like... 35, I pretty much assume you play or have played video games at some point.

Maybe five hours in total. I just got a new gaming PC so I've been playing a lot more, but I try to keep it as minimal as possible.

By myself, I grew up with story heavy video games that were always a personal experience, and I've pretty much sought games that deliver on that ever since.

One or two, but to no real dedicated degree. One is in law school and the other is in med school so their time is pretty much solely dedicated to schoolwork plus their respective girlfriends.

None. Don't do online games anymore, although I may make an exception for the standalone Day Z game because it seems to capture what the whole "zombie apocalypse" is all about.

6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames?

Eh, a few. I do like listening to the Escapist podcast on Saturday morning while I eat my breakfast, and I do like to keep up with current gaming events.

Action/Adventure, Survival-Horror, and RPGs are my most frequented.

I was 4 or 5, so... '91 or '92 was when I started. The why was pretty simple, it's what I thought computers were for.

Both of my parents played computer games so that's how I got into them. My mum still plays her Big Fish adventure games, but I think my dad has largely abandoned it due to a lack of interest.

Read, watch movies/TV, cook, write, spend time with my girlfriend/friends. Have a life I suppose.

11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.)

A few games have recently pushed the emotional boundaries that I'm use to, I cried a few times while playing The Walking Dead and Spec Ops: The Line made me feel... things. Mass Effect and Dragons Age: Origins got me invested in the story and I still remember the surprise of CoD 4's nuke scene. Besides action induced adrenaline or horror, it can be hard to really quantify whatever feelings I may have after the fact. There's a few I hold onto, but for the most part it's kind of hard to pick them all out.

High school I was pretty average student, but for whatever reason I became super genius in college and started getting A's and high B's for my entire career.

I have a job and I do the average 40 hours, plus maybe an additional 5 for work I do on the side for my mother.

Eh... I would be lying if I said I hadn't crapped out a few piss poor essays so I could start my gaming earlier, but considering even the crappiest of my papers still garnished high results, I wouldn't say it ever affected my performance negatively.

Nope.

Same reason I read a book or watch a movie/TV. Just another way to experience a story.

17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players?

I've always been a fan of the "correlation isn't causation" and considering one of the earliest games I played was DOOM and I'm a pretty peaceful guy I can't say I put too much stock into that argument, but I definitely do think it needs to be examined.

18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession?

When you start putting off obligations in order to play "just one more level". It's a hobby, the moment it interferes with work/school/social life then it's a problem.

I use to think that I was just about done with gaming because it seemed more games were catering towards the multiplayer demographic, but after getting a real gaming PC I've rediscovered an area of gaming I thought had been abandoned so no, I do not foresee myself not playing video games.

20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.)

None.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
1. Yes

2. 0-50+, average 14 hours/week

3. 60:40=friends:alone

4. At least 80% and no friends in my sympathy group do not play games.

5. Play almost all games online. 12 of the 14 hours/week spent online.

6. 3 hours/week

7. Everything, dont discriminate against genres. Prodominatly MMO/RTS and to a lesser extent Shooters

8. Around the age of 2 when i first played a game. I spent days watching my older brother play Warcraft 1 and finally one day he decided to teach me. Reasons were partially emulating older sibling, and i found being able to control things with the mouse fascinating.

9. Parents played games as children, however stopped when they grew up, they see video games as a past time for young people. They do associate increased violence with videogames.

10. Watch/read the news (including gaming news), drop in hockey/futsal (indoor soccer), watching movies/tv series (but not on tv). These things are often done while also playing games.

11. Varies based on game. Greatest emotional involvement when playing in mmos. The involvement stems mostly from the social interactions as opposed to the game itself.

12. 1st year university, not all grades issued thus far, but currently GPA over 4.0 with full course load.

13. 1 part-time job: 13 hours/week (13 hour shift on Sundays). In the summertime between semesters this increases to 60 hours/week (5 12 hours) at the same job.

14. It has, terribly. Most classes in highschool were passed with 50.0% (bare minimum), because instead of doing homework i would play videogames. Will rarely let videogames interfere with work.

15. In highschool i did, sometimes as much as once a week (skipping an entire day). But have never skipped work for videogames and have never skipped a university class for videogames. Though i have sacrificed sleep to play video games at the expense of work/university.

16. I enjoy them and ive always played them. I do not handle idle time well and video games are a far better form of entertainment to me than their comptition.

17. Yes. Ive seen enough evidence that they do to conclude that they do. I do not, however think they are a sole cause in situations of actual physical violence, but rather a catalyst that can cause violent people to become more violent.

18. When they prevent a person from functioning. IE unable to find a job, preform in school, preform at work, maintain their bodies.

19. I find it unlikely as i am studying Computer Science and will be making a living off of the things video games run on for most of my life.

20. I have several video game brad pieces of clothing, all gifted to me (by people who know i like video games). I have a variety of collectibles from various video game collector's editions. I have many video game brand mousepads/posters. And i also have a 2 litre coffee mug based off an in-game item in a video game (though the motivation behind buying it was having a 2 litre coffee mug).

Maevine

Feb 4, 2013
I'm an 18 year old woman~

Yes, for all practical purposes

Anywhere from 12-30, depending on how much work I have/how fussy my baby is being/etc.

We usually take turns watching eachother play solo, as most of my favorite games are a bit lacking in the multiplayer department, unless of course we're playing the Wii, in which case there are at least 2 players at all times.

All of them.

The games I play online require more of a daily check-up than they do actual gameplay time (My Candy Love, Sim Social, etc.) Maybe an hour a week at best.

I... never counted... D: a few I'd say. I catch up on my videogame knowledge during commercial breaks in the Rachel Maddow Show every morning and the Colbert Report every night.

Generally RPGs, strategy games, and platformers of all sorts, though I also have a massive weakness for simulations, especially when said simulation lets you make kittens.

I started when I was 3 as a part of my dad's lessons on how to use the computer.

They both enjoy them, though my mother is the only one who actively plays them.

o.0 Walk, swim, play with the animals, cradle my baby, take pictures, draw, write, nap, preform sexual favors for my husband, bake, post on web forums, etc. etc. There are a million and one things to do in a day!

I like when games give me a reason to become emotionally invested in them. That said, I'm usually involved to some extent, but few games have managed to make me cry or rage so far.

I've always been an A student.

Not yet, unless motherhood counts. Working on my degree.

Nope~

Nope~

It's... fun o.0?

I've honestly never deeply considered this subject. I don't quite consider myself qualified. Though I've gamed my entire life and freak out upon accidentally hitting people, I realize I've never been very interested in ultra-violent games. The most gruesome thing I think I've done in a game has been kicking a turtle's shell into a line of living turtles, effectively throwing them all off the side of a cliff (Mario). I've never felt compelled to play GTA or God of War or any of those sorts, and thus have no idea how those games might make me feel afterward (besides angry at their blatant disregard for female players).

As with all things, the line is drawn when your gaming negatively impacts your ability to preform nececcary daily tasks and lead a healthy life. If you can't be bothered to eat, bathe, or hold a job because you're busy playing games, something's wrong.

I can't see myself stopping entirely, but I've taken breaks in the past, and I'm sure I'll take more in the future.

Nothing, really.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
24 year old male.

Yes

I'd estimate over ten.

Myself.

All.

Rarely. 2-3 hours a week.

Probably more than I spend playing games.

Beat'Em'Up action games are my favorite, but aside from sports and rhythym games there aren't any I don't play.

Around eight or so. And because they where fun.

They consider it an amusing passtime.

Juggle. Hike.

I've gotten "Scream at the screen" bad when playing WoW online or getting to the end of Mass Effect 3. Never directed it at other players though. I also need to sympathize with the protagonist somewhat if I play a single-player game.

Mediocre, although counselling has helped me focus.

Not right now.

Not directly. If I can't game, I watch. If I can't watch, I read. If I can't read, I walk.

I've played games while I was supposed to be in class.

They're fun, provide a sense of accomplishment and take my mind off the world.

Nein. Competetive games might, but that has nothing to do with their content.

There's no line that once you cross, you're one or the other.

Nope.

... Not much actually. A few NES-homage shirts and stuff. I'm working on it.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
25, white, male.

I read way too many video game forums, and play lots of video games. To the average person, I probably could be mistaken for a videogame professor. Among other videogame enthusiasts, I'm of average knowledge. Although, the sheer enthusiasm of some gamers puts me off; I'm not comfortable discussing them empathically in real life. So, I'm a very insecure member, who needs to accept that he likes video games and its (more) okay to talk about them now in public.

10-40 hours depending on how interested I am in what I'm playing that week. I think I play video games too much. Need more balance in my life.

By myself almost all the time. I was clinically depressed (either I'm a weak sadsack, or 3 different diagnoses were correct, but I still blame myself) for years, so I've lost touch with most of my friends, and haven't made a single new one. I do play online with a regular group, somewhat consistently, does that count as playing with friends (none of them are my real life friends).

Most of my real life friends barely play videogames anymore. A few play regularly, but mostly only shooters and RTS (two of my least played genres); and they stick almost exclusively to AAA releases. I have much more diverse tastes in games by comparison, so it's hard to relate with them. I play almost every genre, and play way more indie and obscure games, that my friends won't give a chance. I still enjoy AAA stuff too. DmC and Tomb Raider were fun.

I'm almost always online when I play a game. I assume you mean online multiplayer. How much I play online multiplayer varies wildly, depending on what I'm playing that week. Most weeks, about 30-50% of my game time is spent in online multiplayer.

Intermittently during work, and maybe an hour or two over the weekends; so probably 10 very cut up hours per week. That's enough to keep me satiated. Maybe another 10-30 minutes after work at home, sometimes none.

Spectacle fighters, action adventure, adventure, puzzle, puzzle platformer, FPS, TPS, MOBA/DotA, arcade racing, 2D and 3D platformer, schumps, beat-em-ups, fighting games and turn-based strategy et al. I play pretty everything except RTS, grand strategy and 4X games. Lately, I've been playing a lot of indie and indie-ish games like The Cave, Dungeon Land, Showdown Effect, Trials Evolution Gold, Thomas Was Alone, Journey, Papo y Yo et al--also Street Fighter x Tekken (can only play one fighter at a time; they're too hard to be decent at multiple ones at once). Tomb Raider and DmC are my latest AAA games since Dishonored.

I imagine my first game was Super Mario Bros. at around age 5 or 6. I really have no idea when I started. I was very young though. I play them because they're fun, and you get to explore interesting worlds and master or break apart interesting logical and (digitally) kinetic systems. Exploring worlds, mastering a game and just seeing what would happen if I did this... are probably the reasons.

My Dad plays a select few videogames casually. He doesn't have a negative opinion about my gaming. He probably wishes I did it less. He has shown both genuine and somewhat forced interest in what I'm playing from time to time. My mother has really only ever liked Pac-Man and Breakout. Anything else, she doesn't care to understand. Her eyes instantly glaze over if I try to tell her anything relating to videogames or tech. She has said, "You become dark" when I play too many videogames. I think she wishes I'd drop the habit, but doesn't really care that much. She's obsessed with TV; she worked in the field and she continues to read about and love watching it. I inherited this behavior, except I latched onto a different medium.

Watch TV (on Netflix, DVR or DVDs), listen to podcasts, go snowboarding, read a book or shoot hoops (I wouldn't call what I do "playing Basketball" :p).

I have an inferiority complex and some deep-seated self-hatred (I was clinically depressed for 6 years, just recently getting better at managing my life). That slips out as frustration and anger at myself for failing in a videogame while playing. I can get enthralled by a game's story. I marathoned Mass Effect and ME2. But, a decent or better story in gaming is a rarity (I'm one of those kooks who thinks books and movies do story much better). I'm more a gameplay person. If I can mess with an interesting world, explore some cool geometry or get really engrossed in mastering something fun and challenging, I'm in.

Grade school: Mostly As; Middle and High School: Mostly As, some Bs. College: B average.
I coasted through High School, never had to try very much (except in AP classes), and graduated with a 3.8 cumulative GPA. Got a 4.0 two semesters, when I decided I'd actually try for one. I'm not smart and had poor study habits, I just had an amazing memory (it's still good, but depression ravaged it well and good). Excellent recall makes High School quite easy, because unfortunately, 90% of pre-college schooling in the USA is memorization. I barely remember college, as I was clinically depressed for the vast majority of it. I had a few lousy semesters during my worst spells, including several I had to withdraw from completely. My last 4 or 5 semesters, my depression was more manageable, so I brought my GPA up. Ended up with a 3.4 cumulative GPA. Not bad, considering the gray haze it all was. Last minute cram sessions (an imminent deadline could still motivate a depressed me, usually) and my addled, but still pretty good, ability to memorize got me through that mess. The fact my major was easy as shit helped too.

Yes, I work 40 hours a week.

Very rarely. I think last-minute study sessions or working on projects kept me up later than videogames ever did. It has affected my current job performance. I'm staying up too late; I want the night to never end, I don't want to go back to work. Videogames just happen to be the thing I used to hide from facing reality. I play way more videogames now than I ever used to before; only summer vacation marathons from my childhood rival my current playing habits.

Videogames are great, but not worth skipping work or school over. I am not one of those people who takes a few days off work when a anticipated release comes out.

They give me (undeserved, fake) senses of accomplishment. They are fun. I like exploring zany, new worlds. I like seeing how game systems interact, and find delight when they break apart. They fulfill my competitive drive. They let me hide away from reality. I've always had a fascination with imaginary nonsense, as opposed to learning about something useful and applicable.

I think people are more aggressive immediately after or while playing a violent, intense or competitive game (not to a harmful degree). Much like a person would be immediately after or while playing a sport etc. I think some deranged minds might become desensitized or inspired by violence in games. I find real life and videogame violence to be profoundly different. I feel bad if someone in real life gets punched. I also don't want to go hunting (and have declined invitations to do so for free), because I don't like the idea of killing animals (although, I kill mice and insects readily... because they invade my space!). So, yeah, I'm probably just full of it.

When they adversely affect your daily life, such as your personal relationships or personal well-being.

I imagine I might mostly drop it for years at some point in my life. I think I'll always go back to it though. I'll need crap to fill my days with when I'm retired. Videogames will be great for that.

I own one videogame shirt (I got for free; have never worn it). I also have a cheap Mario figurine and two NECA Team Fortress 2 figurines, the Pyro and the Demoman. About 2 months ago, I owned no videogame merchandise, outside of the games themselves, whatsoever. When I was younger I had Mario, DK, Yoshi and Bowser bean bag dolls. As I said, I'm a very insecure gamer, and in general, don't want anyone to know about it (I avoid conflict, no matter how mild. Not a great personality trait, I know). Thus I own almost nothing (aside from tucked away consoles and computers) to indicate to the outside world that I'm a gamer. Though, I have zero posters of any kind on my wall and my desk at work is bare, so I'm not really a person who wears or displays their hobbies/interests/likes "on their sleeve" per se.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
21, male
1. Yes, I do
2. Around 30
3. I'd say 75% by myself and 25% with friends
4. Some of them
5. Around 25% of gaming time I play online with friends
6. A lot, can't give even a rough estimate
7. All kinds of them, but prefer RPGs
8. Around age 7-8, when someone brought home old Sega-MegaDrive
9. They are neutral
10. Watch movies, surf web, sleep, hang out with friends
11. Depends on game, very good games tend to grab me by the balls in terms of emotions
12. I'm usually getting C's
13. I don't have a job
14. Yes, last term I've spent too much time playing and that affected my grades
15. I did once
16. I enjoy them and believe they have incredible potential in many aspects
17. In some players, yes, but I believe that those people could've been affected by anything, not just videogames
18. When you start skipping meals and sleep
19. At this age, no. I as a person was shaped in some ways by videogames, they have become considerable part of my life. Just as I can't see my life without my friends I can't see my life without videogames, these are two things I enjoy spending time with the most.
20. I got a hell lot of custom made videogame posters, some artbooks, couple of t-shirts and awesome N7 hoodie.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Icyshadow said:
39 year old male.

Not sure I know what a gaming subculture is.
Probably 24 or more, but that was last week, the new baby last Friday has changed that for the time being.
Usually by myself, but online with friends as well, with Steam you are never really alone anyway, unless you have no friends at all, and that is sad.
Nearly all of them, but I am in IT, so what else is new?
Less than single player, but I do enjoy some Battlefield 3, would also like to try out Brutal Legend multiplay as well. Double Fine is playing this Thursday, don't know if I can get away from my life responsibilities though.
Not long, I am not one to get overly hyped for games, but I do on occasion.
Mainly FPS, but I loke a good story,like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Half Life, Metro 2033, the Void or Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason, I don't mind a little Call of Duty either mind you. I also like a lot of Indie games, like Little Inferno, Miasmata, Dear Esther, Amnesia: The Dark Decent and similar games. Really looking forward to Among The Sleep and Everybody's Gone to The Rapture, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. Seems Indie titles are always day 1 buys now where many AAA have been sent to week 1 or 2 purchases.
Was early 80's, with the \intellivision, Colecovision and Atari systems. Played a neighbor friends I imagine. Was so long ago though.
My mother's favorite games were Lady Bug on the Colecovision and Impossible Mission on Commodore 64, my dad still plays some hunting games on PC.
I like movies and TV, like True Blood, Game of Thrones, Dexter, etc. Movies I like the more strange ones, like Alyce, Citadel, Ravenous, The Sauna, etc.
Depends on how good a story is, Kratos decent into a rage so powerful not even Gods can stop him? A love so powerful he would do anything including ending his own life to save hers (Shadow of The Colossus), Eli Vance in Half Life 2: Episode 2 :'(, Strelok's greed so strong he cares little for what happens to anyone else, till his attempt to make amends in the end. We gamers have some truly great stories to choose from, movies, books and TV are not the only things that do.
I recently went through a career change and found myself in college in my late 30s, I didn't get the best grades, but I was never really a good student.
Yes I work in IT, for about 8 years, now more professionally after school, I work in IT for a large corporation. Hello IT, have you tried turning it off and then on again?
No, but is has saved my sanity more than a few times.
When you work two jobs to get yourself through college and a wife that is relying on you, are you kidding me?
Entertain me, and tell me a good story, sometimes just have fun, Just Cause 2 I am looking at you.
Depends entirely on the person, people can be susceptible to these things, but I think that issue was always there, and be it movies, video games whatever the bible even can trigger the problems. We need better mental health care everywhere, it is important, these people are sick and need help like anyone else who has an illness, an illness of the mind is no different.
When you forget your real world responsibilities, video games are entertainment, not a life style.
I will be taking a break now, my son and my wife need me.
I have a lot, including American McGee's Alice figures, my favorite, I am not allowed to display much though, as my wife is not a gamer.

omglazorspewpew

Nov 14, 2011
Yes

between 5-30 depending on the week

It's split pretty evenly between the two but I would tip the scales in the by myself category

Almost all of them in some capacity

I rarely do unless I am playing co-op with friends. If I had to put a number I would say 3-10 hours

I will play pretty much anything as long as its good. I play quite a few action games and fighting games

Probably sometime in kindergarten or first grade, my older brother had an NES and I have been playing ever since they let me touch the controller

They didn't mind them as long as I wasn't spending all my time playing or if it wasn't anything too extreme

I read a lot and do some writing. I play the guitar and love listening to music. I have been into combat sports for the past 3 years (Boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ)

Depends on the game. If a game has good characters or tells a fantastic story then I will get really into it. Otherwise I just end up playing to kill sometime

Since I came back to school I have consistently gotten A's

Yes and I work anywhere between 25-30 hours but it isn't uncommon to work more.

Aside from not getting enough sleep some nights due to getting a new game, not really

No

Right now I play because some games have been able to give me really good stories that you can only get in this medium. It is also a good way to keep in touch with friends who haven't seen in a while.

Somewhat of a loaded question. I've been doing a bunch of research for papers in college and I don't think its as clear cut as that. I think in young children it can lead to aggressive play afterwards since young children imitate everything, but I don't think that it can cause the types of violence and aggression that others may suggest. If people are balanced and have healthy social support then no....if they are unbalanced to begin with they may gravitate towards violent games which may reinforce some of that...but I don't think it is a cause.

The second it gets in the way of normal functioning. Losing job(s), friends, becoming secluded, wasting all of your money. That sort of thing.

Yeah, there are definite stretches of time where my consoles are nothing more than Netflix boxes, but I since I don't think video games take anything away from my enjoyment of life I have no reason to stop.

Most of the gaming merch I own are things that have come with collectors editions of games. I have a handful of figurines, posters, shirt or patch. I do have a couple of art books that I picked up as well as a soundtrack or two of some games that I really enjoyed.

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
Not any more

5-10 Hours

By myself

Some of them, about 4

Not really, maybe once a month

1-2 Hours

Roleplaying Games, Stratgy

Since I was a kid, kind of a family thing

They like them

Hang out with friends, watch Netflix.

Not very, but there's exceptions, like in Walking Dead.

Fairly good

Not at the moment

Nope

Never

It's a fun passtime

Nope

When you skip work to play them

All the time

None

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Hooray, questions! I like answering these things for some reason.
Yes.
Varies, but generally I'd say in the realm of 20+ hours. I play more on weekends and holidays.
By myself. I strongly dislike the majority of multiplayer games, so unless I'm playing specifically with my boyfriend (which is rare these days), I avoid playing anything other than single-player at all costs.
Er...kind of a complicated question since I don't really have real-life friends, or at least not ones I'm close to, and on the other hand all my Internet friends are such because we share an interest in video games. So, all and none.
No, but on the rare occasion that I do, usually less than an hour.
Between browsing forums like the Escapist here and watching Game Grumps...I'd ball park it at 14 hours per week.
Mostly RPGs, especially of the Japanese variety. Other than that, I have a taste for a little bit of almost everything. The only games I shy away from are fighters, racers and I find really complex strategy/simulation games hard to get into. Military shooters are a "don't" as well, but that's more because of the stagnation of the genre at this point, not because I don't like FPS games.
I've always been playing video games technically, but I never considered myself a "gamer" until I got my PlayStation 2. I was eleven at the time and really didn't know what I was doing, but I lucked out when I picked a console with a ton of amazing games to play on it. I just thought video game consoles looked cool at the time and I wanted one so I could play Spyro the Dragon games on it; another thing that just looked cool to me.
Well my dad's completely indifferent. My mom will patiently listen to me talk about the games I like despite not having a clue what I'm saying most of the time. She does know enough to be strict about M-rated games though, but that's not an issue anymore since I'm old enough to buy them myself.
Either dicking around on the Internet, spending time with my boyfriend or...actually, yeah, that's pretty much it. All the rest of my time is devoted to video games and school.
Depends on the game. If it's got a good story, characters and gameplay, then I can get involved to the point of obsession. Some games I just play for awhile to turn my brain off of everything else, though. But most of the time I'd say I'm very involved with what I play.
Pretty damn good ones. In grade 10 and 11 I was top of the class in every subject except for math. I had a final average of about 95%, give or take a percent, in both of those years. This year I'm just sick of it though; I find it harder to focus on my studies and the increased difficulty and stress of this being my last year of mandatory education makes me feel like a slacker now. I'm still pulling in honours marks in every subject (except math, again) at the moment despite practically coasting, though.
Not currently employed.
Can't say they have. The fact that I'm less serious about school this year could have some people pointing the finger towards video games, but my gaming habits haven't changed at all in the past three years.
Never skipped school itself. I have gotten distracted by video games while trying to make myself do homework and such, but that's not just video games; I'll let myself get distracted by anything when I don't want to work.
To have fun and escape from reality when I need to.
Unless you're a very young child, no. Even then, chances are they still don't, but it probably has a negative psychological effect to be exposed to extremely violent scenes from any form of media before you acquire the maturity to cope with it.
I'd say when you don't actually gain any enjoyment from playing a game and instead NEED to play it. Like addictions, where you need more and more of the substance to actually get high.
There may be points where I take breaks from the hobby, since I've already done that for short periods of time before, but I wouldn't ever give it up altogether.
I've acquired several video game-related T-shirts (mostly Final Fantasy ones) as well as a Cole MacGrath (from inFamous 2) statue and his sling bag which I use all the time. I can see my collection of such merchandise growing in the near future, since I discovered an awesome little site for getting T-shirts from and I've pre-ordered the BioShock Infinite collector's edition.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
20 and female.

Yes.
10-20
Mostly by myself.
The majority.
Seldomly, the only one I play is GW2 but I haven't played it for 2 months and clocked in 30 hours this week so far so it's random.
Constantly, I have a smart phone and am constantly on videogame sites.
JRPGs, action-adventure, but I'll play anything that's good.
As a baby, my parents put a controller in my hands before I could remember.
My dad is a huge gamer and got me into it. My mom enjoys them but isn't a gamer.
Watch anime, lurk online, hang out with friends.
I can get very emotionally involved in good stories. Online play not at all.
B's
15 hours a week.
Never playing since I make sure to get my homework done before playing, though if there's a game I really want to play sometimes it can be distracting.
Never.
To be entertained (aka cuz it's fun).
The game itself no, but online competition can but not any worse than sports.
When videogames cloud your judgement to make rational choices such as putting games before work.
Never, I see myself playing less but never giving it up completely.
C all of the above, and plushies, decals, and MGR's lamp. I probably have more I'm forgetting about as well.

AlmostLikeLife

Apr 24, 2009
Yup.

Quite a few. Don't know exactly.

Both. Also, with friends entails online and sitting on the couch.

All of them, pretty much.

It varies. Sometimes we have 2-3 hour long sessions, other times it's just a quick game or two.

Again, don't know the specifics, but it's a bunch.

3rd person action/platformers/shooters/adventure, RPGs, sports/racing, just about anything.

When I was little. My parents got the family an NES. My Dad and I would play Tecmo Bowl and my sister and I would play Mario 3. It was like a family thing.

They know that it's an entertainment avenue.

Watching football/keeping up with football news. Playing guitar. Watching pro wrestling.

If a game has a great story and is very well acted/animated, it can draw me in pretty well.

Average.

I do. I work between 20 & 25 hours a week.

No, I never let it affect that stuff.

Nope.

Because they're fun and challenging. To me, they're a better experience than watching a movie/tv show.

No.

When a person spends ALL (again, I say, ALL) of their time with games and can't seem to tear themselves from the controller.

You mean as in "as you grow older"? If so, then no. Video games are a huge part of my life and I don't see why I should give it up.

I have some shirts, figurines/statues, bead art, and art books/comics.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
43-yr-old female.

1. Eh, more or less. I'm definitely a more casual gamer, but I do try to keep up with what's going on in gaming.
2. 8-10
3. 50/50 split between playing alone and playing co-op with my husband
4. Most of them
5. Exceedingly rarely anymore, now that I quit playing MMOs. At most an hour a week.
6. 4-5? Hard to say, I tend not to notice how long I spend surfing the internet. I do spend a lot of time on here, though.
7. Mostly FPS and Western RPG.
8. Way back when Atari first launched in the '80s. Why? Because it was the new thing. Then there was a huge gap where I didn't do much in the way of video games at all (my husband desperately tried to make a gamer of me, except all he played was RTS and turn-based strategy, and as it turns out, I *hate* that genre and I'm terrible at it) until I heard about KOTOR and bought an Xbox to play it.
9. My mother played the damn Atari more than I did. She badly screwed up her hand one day trying to beat her best score on Pac-Man one morning-- apparently she got up before dawn and played till my dad and I woke up. My dad was more take it or leave it, but they both enjoyed it.
10. Read, blog, learn to play the piano, argue on the internet, and write fiction.
11. Very. Story is everything to me.
12. not applicable.
13. Yes. Depends on the week-- I freelance, so it's down to how much work my client has for me. 20-40 hrs per week.
14. Yes, a couple of times. I've had a couple weeks where I did a big glop of work at once because I spent a couple days doing too much gaming, and definitely a few times when I've been overtired from staying up too late gaming. I'm too much of a completionist, I don't want to stop until the damn quest or whatnot is actually done.
15. Not as such, no. I don't have a 9-5, go to an office type job, though, so you might count this one as n/a.
16. I like the immersion/story, and I like the challenge. It's a really good stress-reliever. I also have a chronic pain disability, and games are about the only thing that can distract me when I'm having a really bad symptom day that even meds can't touch.
17. Not in a lasting way, not unless the player is already prone that way. I think the one meta-analysis that found that *competition* (whether in a violent or nonviolent game) affected aggression is on to something. And if I recall correctly, even that had a short decay rate.
18. This is so individual that I have no idea how to answer it. When it starts to consistently negatively impact someone's daily life, is iirc pretty close to diagnostic standard for compulsion. It's never going to be as simple as "if you play more than x hrs per day" or "if you use games to escape parts of your life you don't like".
19. No. I hope to be playing games till I die, and I hope by the time I'm old enough to land in a nursing home there will be enough different ways to play that I can still keep doing it.
20. Some figurines that were gifts, a couple of WoW stuffed animals, and all the Halo tie-in books.

MonkeyGH

Jul 4, 2011
Yes.

A solid 20 hours sounds about right.

Mostly by myself, sometimes online, but that's rare.

I'd say 50%.

Mostly BLOPS 2, I only have about 10 total hours logged, however.

Not as much as I used to, nowadays I study.

RPGs and Shooters lately.
I started playing at age 11 because Pokemon Silver was awesome.

I don't think they care.

Lift weights, hang out with friends, study, etc.

I used to get really invested but Now I'm pretty far removed from it. It's a hobby now.

My last semester was 3.86 GPA and landed me in an honor society.

No job.

If it has, it was very negligible.

Once or twice, but not since I got into college.

I enjoy playing them, so I play them.

No.

When it becomes the only thing you can actually enjoy in life.

Nah, this hobby is here to stay.

A few posters and a hat, I think?

Hope your survey goes well bro. :)

Krixous

Jan 15, 2013
Yes.
15-30 depending on work/time out with buddies
by myself
all of them
1-5 weekly
1 maybe 2
all genres my personal favourite is RPG's
4 cuz we had a game system and we lived in the middle of nowhere
like theyre a horrible affliction on my life
Go to bars with buddies, read, answer weird questionairres on the escapist
depending on the story i can feel greatly emotionally involved
english: 83% 44 absences science: 78% 52 absences math:92% 20 absences history:77% 35 absences
manager of a gast station 40-60 hours a week
not that ive noticed never been late or was pissed off at work because of videogames
school yes work no 2 days a week or second half of the classes in my day but then again who took high school seriously
fun, stress relief, for the ladies
No cuz otherwise i wouldve lit someone on fire when i had to talk about the weather for the 50 millionth time at my job
when they interrupt your sleep, eating , work, and time spent with or attempt to obtain a signifacant other
dunno not good at seeing into the future wanna say no but who knows
whatever comes with the preorder bonuses of my games so i got i dunno figurines posters and soundtracks.

almost forgot 21 years old male

Jedi-Hunter4

Mar 20, 2012
There's a few things I've learned from reading people's reply's here:

1. There are quite a few people who are not great at math replying, 3 examples of people with jobs who list allot of game hours without naming names, allocating 30mins for work travel, 30mins for toilet breaks and washing, and 30mins eating and drinking a day (so fairly conservative). One person had 13 hours a day fully booked with work/gaming/net videos, another on 13 and another a massive 15 hours a day booked up I find that very very hard to believe.

2. There's an even greater number of people a little deluded about their intelligence, I saw one person claiming a staggering amount of gaming hours as well as being in the " 99th percentile" in a subject area..... yer because with standardized testing these days geniuses just go slipping through the cracks. I got flagged up at 15 to be encouraged to go into further education for scoring in the top 10% (not sure about the precise percentage that's all they tell you) but year, mensa level student's commonly go unnoticed. Also I don't know what kind of university's allot of people are going to, but again either things are being exaggerated or I don't know whats happening as at that level of education on any course worth it's salt your not meant to get 80%+ scores (bar like a math test where there are only right and wrong answers), unless your work is being published

But yer Icyshadow I'd take some of the results with a pinch of salt, maybe exclude some of the more extreme one's as Anomalous results.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
I'm male and 19.

Yes.

5 to 7 hours.

I usually play by myself.

Many. Nearly all of my friends play video games.

Yes, I do. Given 5 hours of gaming, I will typically spend one hour of that time playing online multiplayer.

A lot. Probably 15 to 20.

Fighting games primarily, but I also enjoy the occasional RPG, RTS or Visual Novel.

I think I started playing video games when I was 7 or 8 years old. Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash had me hooked. I don't know what else to say but video games are fun.

They don't give it much attention. They don't talk to me about it for the most part.

Surf the internet, watch movies, television, anime.

Very, when I play a game with interesting characters and plot.

I'd say I'm a B student.

No, not employed at the moment.

Sometimes I'll lose sleep, weakening my performance for the day after, but that doesn't happen often.

Nope. I've never skipped to play video games.

Video games provide great mental stimulation. Whether it's problem solving, a deep plot, the demand for strategic/tactical thinking, or the spectacle of aesthetic and sound, I enjoy it all.

No, I don't think so. Or at least, violent video games don't seem to affect my friends or myself in the slightest.

When you start hurting yourself and those around you. When video games take priority over relationships, responsibilities or your health.

No, I do not.

A few t-shirts and posters, but not much. I do want to buy some soundtracks and maybe a figurine or two.

Orlake

Jun 1, 2011
21y.o Male
Yes

15-30

50/50

Many, if not all, but whether they can be considered as a ?gamer? by the definition of hours put in remains to be seen.

Whenever I?m not on a single player campaign / marathon (Ie, mass effect marathons, etc), I can go 5-7 hours in a sitting

5-7

Just about anything under the sun really; most of the AAA single player titles (barring anything that?s built around an online-FPS; CoD, BF, etc)

3rd grade, because I <3?d the shit out of The Magic School Bus

They think it?s a waste of time.

Catching up on my studies, reading through novels centered in sci-fi/fantasy

Online play becomes competitive (about as competitive and emotionally invested as one would in a sports team I suppose) but fun, and I?ve wept openly due to an exceptionally engaging game before.

85% average for my high school years combined, at 3.2 right now in post-secondary.

Part-time (and I mean really part-time); 10

There?s been the occasional dip in a semester here and there, but nothing disastrous. Maybe drop a letter grade at worst.

Can?t seem to recall a time.

Because there?s some damn good narratives in a select few, and the rest are pure escapism. Same reason why I?d watch a movie, read a book, etc; it?s another art medium of our generation. It has the power to inspire, just like any other work of art. I?ve just passed the 2 year mark of training with my local parkour group (PKBC from Vancouver, CA, check em out ^_-), and all the time and dedication I?ve put into my training, and everything I?ve learned thus far, I have the game Mirror?s Edge to thank. It all started when, after finishing the story of Faith Connors, one day I said to myself, ?I want to do this too.? A great number of my friends that I still keep in touch with today came from my MMO days. In short, games have the potential to be stepping stones to great things, and should not be any less legitimate than any other art medium.

Nope. That would be correlation at best. People often don?t seem to take into account that the anecdotal incidents involving violence and video games happened because the person was predisposed to higher levels of violence to begin with.

When you negate all other interests and responsibilities; when you find that nothing else can make you happy, or nothing else is as important.

Nope. I can see myself in periods where I would be playing less, or be on a temporary hiatus from games. But I?ll always come back.

N7 hoodie, countless posters, I even make my own (splicer masks, various shirts for personal use, etc).

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
20 year old female.

Yes. When I'm not playing games, I'm talking about them, reading about them, or learning about them. I'm very up-to-date on things happening in the gaming community and industry.

This depends on how busy I am. With work and university, as well as study, I can play around 6-10 hours a week. With nothing on, this number can double. I do have phases where I don't play games, though.

All alone.

None. Does an extremely casual interest count? In which case, about two of them.

I do sometimes. In one session I can play for 3-4 hours at the most.

That's really hard to say - most of my free time not playing games I'm on here or watching my favourite Let's Players on Youtube. I'll safely say around 15 hours.

I tend to play RPGs, first-person shooters and adventure titles, but when I look at my game collection, I have almost every genre.

Very early, I can tell you that much. Games were a great thing to play with friends. I can remember sitting around a computer with 5 of my cousins playing a terrible golf game in turns, or playing Tekken 3.

They know very little about it. My mum gets concerned when I ask for a game from Xmas or a birthday because she thinks I have too many (I don't think she understands that they're all actually different). My dad is eager to watch sometimes, but he gets very bad motion-sickness. He likes racing games and anything that involves wars.

Read, watch movies, watch youtube videos, go on gaming forums.

Extremely. I take role-playing very seriously in RPGs. Games have made me cry at times, too.

I've had good greats throughout both. Using American grades, I would say I average at an A- or an A. Games have never effected my grades in the slightest.

I only have a casual job, but it's with the university I'm attending at the moment. The work can range from busybody things (delivering things, putting up posters) to actual admin work (profiling students, editing publications, etc). Since it's casual my hours can change from full-time work to no time at all, depending on the demand for me. Right now, I'm working only 3 hours a week.

Never. Not in the slightest. I've always been good with time management, and I never leave things to the last minute. I'm one of those people that put extra effort in and get assignments done early, and I reward myself with playing games.

Never.

They're almost like reading books or watching movies, only I get to control them. In a way it's brilliant escapism and a way to experience great stories, and other times it's just a good time-filler.

No, gaming has never really pulled off realistic violence, despite the nicer graphics. The violence is glorified and unnatural, so it never seems terrible, kind of like watching cartoons. Gamers fully understand that what they're seeing is not real. The only violent reaction people get from games is perhaps frustration and competition, and most importantly losing. This is the same with anything that involves score-keeping, though.

Probably if they never take breaks for health reasons (food, sleep) and if they never do anything else, like leaving the house occasionally. If you're reluctant to go and eat because of playing a game, then that's probably a warning sign. If your natural sleeping cycles change as well, then you're devoting too much time to gaming.

I can imagine it, especially if I ever have kids of my own and won't have as much time, and especially at an old age. In the immediate future, no.

I have some trading cards and figurines (Pokemon, from when I was a kid), some plushies, a mug and a necklace (both home-made).