"Gamer With Pride" Wrong Foot Forward?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
A friend of mine is upset over the following image:

This is how I came across something that apparently was posted on the CoD BLOPS Facebook page. Now, as much as I know I'm going to get told I shouldn't expect much from CoD players, I seriously question how smart it is to be putting this kind of face forward across the web.

Before anyone accuses me of the tired old bogeyman of political correctness, keep in mind I am not asking for it to be banned or censored because I think it's offensive, but rather I am questioning whether or not it's a bad idea to put this sort of thing forward, especially in the light of the usual controversies surrounding video games.

Gamers like to complain about the perception of gamers as violent, socially inept, stunted little basement dwellers, but I don't think we have to look further than our own ranks to understand why it's so easy to believe.

I suppose I'll also pre-empt another line of thought, that this is their right to say. Yeah, sure. That's not the question.

To reiterate the question for those who need discussion value explicitly stated: It it a good idea to be championing stuff like this, especially at a time where both bullying and violent video games are considered such hot topics?

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I agree that it probably isn't the best of images to be using at this time. Then again, suicide jokes are like rape jokes - they always have deeper implications for certain people, and can lead to some real offense. I don't really abide by telling people to commit suicide anyway, it's an exceptionally low form of bullying. It may seem like a joke, but for someone out there, it really isn't.

Why not something less controversial and more uplifting, like "Gamer with pride, a hero on the side"?

Captcha: Cool heads prevail.

Exactly.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Well, I dislike the use of a Wii-mote because my buddy Keith was beaten by the Yakuza with one of those when he answered the door to a bunch of people in suits that he assumed wanted to play video games with him. That and a comma would really be nice following "don't like it" in that second line there.

*cough*

But on a more serious note, I view it as a more extreme message used to describe oneself while discouraging disapproval.
I've seen banners and shirts used by fans of punk, metal, anarchy, religion, politics and what have you carrying a very similar message. To put it short and easy, it doesn't make me think of any negative connotations with video games but rather with the wearer of said message. They may be particularly insecure and defensive, wanting to put on the facade of being dedicated and certain of themselves. This is especially so because "gamer" is in referral to the individual wearing the banner.

There's many belonging to the same group that would use a much more lax way to describe themselves in the same general context (or even opting to use something "happier"). I think it's more of a question as to whether or not you want to look like an insecure person by using such a statement (regardless of whatever it is you're representing)...but that might just be me.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
That's a really awful...rhyming...pun...thing.

It's kind of saying "Have good self-esteem and take pride in yourself, or die!"

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
TheKasp said:
I... don't get it. What does it want to say? Is it missing some punctuation or something? (English not first language here, more like fourth in the order I learned them)
I think what it wants to say is "Look at me, look at me!"

A bit like what Smash said.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I truly believe that a persons life is much more worthwhile and happy if they take pride in who they are. If they arent happy with who they are they need to change themselves till they are happy with who they are. That said, being a gamer is something Im quite proud of just as Im proud to be many other things. Gaming is just one aspect of myself. So I think its fine to take pride in it

The other question is should we be championing the idea of "commit suicide if you dont like us." and my answer to that is no. Telling anyone, for any reason, to commit suicide is at best in poor taste and at worst it can make a person an accessory to manslaughter depending on the conditions involved. I know people are frustrated with politicians and idiots when they constantly assault our medium but the way to fight that is through education and rational discussion. This kind of thing is only going to add fuel to the fire

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Honestly don't care about the message it sends, just seems stupid to me.

Could you pick a more lame thing to be proud about? Maybe I'm missing the point, but eh...
"Emmerdale watcher 4 Lyfe, Fuk Da Police!"

^About as relevant and edgy.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
It really does sound like something out of a shit rap written by a douchebag. I hope whoever came up with the idea is consequently treated with the ridicule they deserve.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010

The message seems to imply that if you don't respect gamers because you play games, the world would be better off without you. I honestly couldn't care less, and I'm not even sure I disagree. At the very least it's still a poorly expressed message.

Meh.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I like it , anyone know where i can get a t-shirt with that ( minus the wii-mote please?). Wait why is everyone so up and arms about this? What's so bad? Is it because the word " suicide" is in it?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
I like really that image. Nice, muted aesthetic. And the text is really good; I love it when people put up signs that say, "AHAHA JUST FUCKING IGNORE ME I AM INSUFFERABLE JESUS CHRIST."

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
krazykidd said:
I like it , anyone know where i can get a t-shirt with that ( minus the wii-mote please?). Wait why is everyone so up and arms about this? What's so bad? Is it because the word " suicide" is in it?
"Up and arms"? I think the expression I'd use is "rolling my eyes in slight exasperation".

I mean, it's not clever, or witty, just a rather mediocre attempt at being totally radically tubular in an awesomely gnarly fashion, dude.

So the issue I take with it is basically that a polished turd is still just a turd.

But maybe I'm just being snobby and should work that stick out of my ass...I mean, a friend of mine and I often get into an argument over internet lingo because I get annoyed when they stuff "***** please" and "fuck yea" into the conversation all the time.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Vegosiux said:
krazykidd said:
"Up and arms"? I think the expression I'd use is "rolling my eyes in slight exasperation".

I mean, it's not clever, or witty, just a rather mediocre attempt at being totally radically tubular in an awesomely gnarly fashion, dude.

So the issue I take with it is basically that a polished turd is still just a turd.

But maybe I'm just being snobby and should work that stick out of my ass...I mean, a friend of mine and I often get into an argument over internet lingo because I get annoyed when they stuff "***** please" and "fuck yea" into the conversation all the time.
Well i'm totally out of the loop to what's socially acceptable (i'm one of those socially inept shut ins ). So i i'll admit i know nothing about how people perceive things . I was assuming it was because of the "suicide" a the end of the sentence ( that's missing a comma ) . But i guess to more enlightened people it means more than that . Which is why i'm asking .

Also , not everything has to be witty , some things can go straight to the point , although in all honesty i have no idea what point is trying to be made.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Okay... I don't really understand what this means. Can someone explain this to me?

Edit: Right, so it's saying that unless you're a gamer who takes pride in the fact that you're a gamer you should commit suicide? Man, that is awkwardly phrased...

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Now imagine if it said

Vegetarian with pride.
If you don't like it, commit suicide.

It's basically saying "live and let live, or die."

I think it's appropriate. Mostly because Gamers have been unjustly accused of being the cause of 100% of the violent things that have ever happened ever.

And suggesting that people who subscribe to that notion should kill themselves, because we certainly aren't going to do that but we are upset that you breath the same air as us kind of has a poetic justice to it.

Basically if you're a bigoted ass hole you don't deserve to live, but I'm not going to kill you.