#GamerGate Needs Damage Control Badly (Small OP Update)

Timpossible

Aug 4, 2014
Wait? People got PMs about what terrible terrible SJW they are? Why didn't I got those...well..Under 100 Posts and more or less stopped posting in this big circlejerk Zoe-Thread...I kinda understand. But I feel a bit insulted.

@Topic:
I think GamerGate is beyond any Damange-Control. There were folks who had pure and sincere intentions about gaming-journalism. But they were used.
What happend and happens to GamerGate is like Tea-Party on fast-forward:

1. A new Movement. No one really takes them seriously
2. A lot of people seem to like the alleged ideas (In GamerGate's case: ethics in gaming journalism)
3. It becomes pretty obvious that this movement was initiated by a handful of people to propagade their own agenda. (In GG's case: To silence everything they see as "SJW"-ish)
4. They've become a problem for the party from where they came initially. (In GG's case: People who love Videogames/ aka Gamers)
5. We don't know yet.

So: If you have those good intentions about gaming journalism. Wonderful. I respect that. But you should stop associating yourself with this "GamerGate-Movement". They might drag you into something you really don't wanna be in.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
1) Let's be honest, this exploded so much BECAUSE there are several angles to it, including the SJW/Feminism one. Please, do not delude yourself that either side doesn't hold it's position on that line too. Also, that is a reason why I recused myself from it for the most part. I would bring bias.

2) There were nasty PMs thrown at random. This is internet, people fling buckets of excrement for millions of reasons, very little of which make any damn sense to me. Also, I know of at least one instance of someone flinging excrement in the name of opposite side and I'm convinced that person is not only one. To summarize, this is internet. Any discussion has to go through the shitstorm.

3) Nobody has to prove anything. If people who write for media outlet generate enough revenue, they will survive. Otherwise they will wither and die. My bet is on corrupt clickbaity ones even if I actively am against them.

4) Both sides are constantly doing despicable things. But should one despise every Cambodian for Pol Pot?

captcha: sun tzu says
Damn right captcha! Damn right!

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I tend to see Gamergate not as an actual cause, but more like an explosion of frustration among gamers, angry about heavy handed moderation, censorship, double standards among gaming journalists, and a perceived co-ordinated attack on the gaming community in order to push a feminist agenda. I think those Gamers are Dead articles acted as the catalyst. Since then people have tried to push Gamergate in a certain direction (against corruption), while others want to attack any feminist influences on the gaming websites. With no leaders and no official aims I don't see how there can be any damage control over Gamergate, it'll just run out of steam eventually.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<spoiler=Redacted>
Sleekit said:
this i initially thought was sarcasm.

none of the bolded text is rational if it is not.

You are correct! It is not rational at all! It's much like the average post in the Quinnthread! What of it? Is it fine to say ludicrous things there but not anywhere else?

"we" have no more tools to control "psychos" or "shrills" other than saying "be nice to people" and for the most part people have demonstrably been so.

if you know of any other...powers..."we" might use to control the actions of other human beings i'd be interested to hear of their existence...even though to use them would ofc be...unethical.
As I said to someone else, Christians disown WBC. Black metal fans disown Varg Vikernes. Etc.

Gamergate proponents, however, watched Zoe Quinn have a breakdown from the abuse she's receiving, watched Anita Sarkeesian flee her own home due to death threats, and then said that they were lying about/exaggerating their abusers.

And Anita had nothing to do with this in the first place.

Disown abusers? Why should we do that when we can use the abuse to attack our opponents instead?

That is what I mean by "controlling your psychos".

And that is why Gamergate can go drink mercury and die.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<spoiler=Redacted>
Sleekit said:
lacktheknack said:
would you care to explain why this man got targeted for abuse for posting this video ?

Fuck them too.

Fuck them with rusty pitchforks.

Fuck them with chainsaws lined with butchers knives.

Let their hearts be rent asunder with the demonic claws of Satan himself as they're dragged shrieking from this mortal coil into the depths of their worst hells.

That goes for anyone and everyone who sends threats to anyone over an opinion piece.

ps thank you for the death wish.
Are you one of the people who called Sarkeesian a liar when she fled her home and/or sent her rape and death threats? If so, you're welcome. If not, you really need to work on figuring out when things are addressed at you.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
lacktheknack said:
As I said to someone else, Christians disown WBC. Black metal fans disown Varg Vikernes. Etc.

Gamergate proponents, however, watched Zoe Quinn have a breakdown from the abuse she's receiving, watched Anita Sarkeesian flee her own home due to death threats, and then said that they were lying about/exaggerating their abusers.

Disown abusers? Why should we do that when we can use the abuse to attack our opponents instead?

Westboro Baptist Church and Varg Vikernes are identifiable person/group. Abusers on internet are anonymous, unknown, unidentifiable part of the mass. It's likely that one or more of abusers is posting here in reasonable manner while sending pure hate in all directions in private. People have already done what they can do about it, that is to distance themselves.

Yes, Zoe snapped, one of who knows how many that snapped during this. And I'm sorry that she is going through it. But I'm considerably more sorry for people who have mental issues and are caught up in this without contributing to it thus having really, REALLY bad days. That said, not that I think this person has any mental issues

Not The Bees said:
I'm especially sorry to hear that you got all that. You are one of more balanced people in this mess. Keep it up and stay strong!

lacktheknack said:
Fuck them too.

Let their hearts be rent asunder with the demonic claws of Satan himself as they're dragged shrieking from this mortal coil into the depths of their worst hells.

That goes for anyone and everyone who sends threats to anyone over an opinion piece.

Are you one of the people who called Sarkeesian a liar when she fled her home and/or sent her rape and death threats? If so, you're welcome. If not, you really need to work on figuring out when things are addressed at you.[/quote]

Well, I don't think you need a mirror to see how much hypocritical you are acting.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<spoiler=Redacted>
wizzy555 said:
lacktheknack said:

http://www.change.org/p/the-gaming-industry-please-stop-the-hate
Feel-good platitudes with no real goal and no real method.

I don't care about the hate coming from the games industry. I don't care about gamers hatefully raging at the games industry. I care about people sending death threats and rape threats to people, and then others standing by and all but cheering for them.

I want the first group jailed, and the second group punched in the face. Where's my petition for that?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<spoiler=Redacted>
carnex said:
lacktheknack said:

Westboro Baptist Church and Varg Vikernes are identifiable person/group. Abusers on internet are anonymous, unknown, unidentifiable part of the mass. It's likely that one or more of abusers is posting here in reasonable manner while sending pure hate in all directions in private. People have already done what they can do about it, that is to distance themselves.

Yes, Zoe snapped, one of who knows how many that snapped during this. And I'm sorry that she is going through it. But I'm considerably more sorry for people who have mental issues and are caught up in this without contributing to it thus having really, REALLY bad days. That said, not that I think this person has any mental issues
You're actually very right that abusers aren't easily identifiable, I'll give you that. However, based off my glimpses into the mouth of madness Quinnthread, I'm not sure I'd say that I saw anyone distancing themselves. I tended to see paranoid image-posting about how it's totally impossible for this screenshot Sarkeesian used to be real. That's totally how distancing yourself from abusers works, right?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<spoiler=Redacted>
carnex said:
lacktheknack said:
Fuck them too.

Are you one of the people who called Sarkeesian a liar when she fled her home and/or sent her rape and death threats? If so, you're welcome. If not, you really need to work on figuring out when things are addressed at you.
Well, I don't think you need a mirror to see how much hypocritical you are acting.[/quote]

Oh, not at all.

That said, while I wish nothing but ill on these people, I'd never administer it myself. Nor did I ever say I would. I can't say that for them.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
lacktheknack said:
I don't care about the hate coming from the games industry. I don't care about gamers hatefully raging at the games industry. I care about people sending death threats and rape threats to people, and then others standing by and all but cheering for them.
You are totally right, people should just do as you do and not use death treats and just wish for other people to die, that is so much better.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
lacktheknack said:
wizzy555 said:
lacktheknack said:

I want the first group jailed, and the second group punched in the face. Where's my petition for that?
I'm sorry but you said disowning, disowning is pretty much on the level of platitudes.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<spoiler=Redacted>
Sleekit said:
lacktheknack said:
again i ask you what you do to suggest people should do other than condemning others and appealing for moderation within the debate which is what the vast majority of people involved with "gamergate" have been doing.

go on,

tell us how to stop the random assholes of the internet.

over and above that...which we are already doing.

i genuinely await your reply with fascination.
Are you actively distancing yourself from abusers and encouraging others to do so as well?

Cool! You're a cool person. You're doing all that's required. I wish I saw more people doing that.

Obviously, this is based off what I've observed. Who knows, maybe I've seen nothing but shit because I keep looking in at the wrong times. I've not seen a "vast majority" do anything levelheaded in this whole affair. Ah well, you can't fix terrible luck.

Michel Henzel said:
lacktheknack said:
You are totally right, people should just do as you do and not use death treats and just wish for other people to die, that is so much better.
Admit it: It's a step up. A small one, but a step up nonetheless.

wizzy555 said:
lacktheknack said:
wizzy555 said:
lacktheknack said:

I'm sorry but you said disowning, disowning is pretty much on the level of platitudes.
"pls stahp" is on the same level as "fuck off"? Huh.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Semiautodidactic said:
DC_78 said:
I have never claimed that standard does not apply to me, personally. But I believe that you are trying to say it applies to the movement as if it is a hivemind. Which it is not. There is no Grand King of gamergate or central site that even coordinates strategy. Although here and 4chan seem to be the most likely sources for discussion of strategy and tactics. The Escapist is no more responsible for the worst bile filled forum post or thread than gamergate is to a random horrible tweet.
You are congregating and discussing 'strategy' and 'tactics'. There is collusion and discussion of how best to conduct this movement. You are coming to a consensus about how to best conduct yourselves, and you give each other marching orders and have plans for some nebulous endgame. As such, you are all very much responsible for the things that your movement says and does. You cannot sit and discuss 'tactics' openly and then turn around and say 'well, we're not responsible' when your movement is used for its full nefarious purposes. The fact that you're discussing 'tactics' at all indicates that your moves are planned in advance.

Also, as an unrelated tangent, I should point out that you 'gamergate' people are acting and thinking about this like you are a side in a war, while on the other side all you have is a bunch of people who think games should be more inclusive. There are no IRC chatrooms where Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian meet to discuss 'tactics'.

Why are there such discussions at all? What the hell does your movement gain about discussing 'tactics'? Don't you realize how creepy that looks to everyone on the outside?
As someone who has been contributing in the giant thread for a while now, I have to say what we have been doing most is sharing information. Pointing each other to new articles, videos, Twitter posts and information images. The main point of that thread is not a war-room to direct operations, but simply a chamber to make sure everyone is hearing all the news.

The only real 'tactics' that have ever been discussed were when we arranged to email website sponsors about the content of the websites they were advertising on. As far as I can remember that and the decision to use Twitter hashtags to counter the #deathtogamers twitter hashtag that the devs and journalists against us had already set up.

Our main actions other than that have been to keep telling each other to keep calm and not send harassing messages or use personal insults. Unfortunately because of the scale of this controversy it takes a lot of messages to get the point across (and unfortunately it doesn't always work as there are assholes who just want to insult and denigrate people, and because the movement is effectively anonymous we have no way of controlling the peace.) No one in the main thread knew about the PMs sent out today, no one could have done anything to stop them, and I am very sorry they were sent out, but that is the problem with having a debate in this jump in/drop out state across several websites. What gets said by people is for the large part uncontrollable, and due to it's scale there will be actual misogynists, actual trolls, actual people who just want to insult, hack or threaten, and we don't really have the power to combat that apart from telling them not to do it, and condoning it and apologizing when it happens, which is what we are trying to do as much as possible.

Our 'moves' aren't planned in advance. We simply wait to see the next piece of information that is revealed, and discuss its wider implications. There is no overall gameplan, no one has any idea how this will end, how long it will take, or who will be implicated next. We are simply investigating the relationships and conflicts of interest that exist between indie developers and games journalists, noting and discussing what we find, and campaigning videogame websites for stricter rules regarding their journalists.

You say that Zoe Quinn / Anita Sarkeesian have no meetings to discuss tactics. First of all, Anita doesn't have anything to do with this protest at all. Her hands are perfectly clean. Secondly, there have been organised, concerted efforts launched against us. On the 28th August 11 websites all posted articles on a single day EDIT: [10 articels were posted in 24 hours] calling for the death of gamers. It was Zoe Quinn and Silverstring Media that organised the cutieskillingvideogames hashtag, T-shirts, [http://teespring.com/cuties] wristbands [] and badges. (organised to come out at the same time as the death to gamers articles), Zoe Quinn sleuthed 4chan chatlogs and created images to prove /v/ were evil, another guy posted a table on Twitter depicting 10 key words he had searched through the chat logs for, to show that 4chan cursed. If it is use of 'tactics' that concerns you, let me assure you, they have been in no way limited to us. The indie devs and journalists are making a concerted effort to silence us, using every tool at their disposal.

Finally, the abuse that we have received has not been from anonymous sources or from difficult to control members of the other side, but by the personal twitter accounts and articles of the professional journalists and professional developers. We are fully against any hate messages sent in the name of gamergate, and I am ashamed of the people that have harassed in our name, but the people that have been harassing on the other side are the big professional names, and they have repeatedly and unashamedly called us all sorts of unprofessional and horrible things, with no apologies or repentance: http://gamergateharrassment.tumblr.com/

I am truly sorry to everyone who saw abuse in this thread, and if it was someone who frequently posts in the big thread I would encourage you to name and shame, because no matter who they are they will be ostracised for doing such a hateful thing, but please don't tar us as extremists or haters.

We simply want more transparency in videogame journalism, we want more critical thinking and fact checking in articles, less biased stories and reviews and recommendations we can trust. It is very unfortunate that it has come to such a big clusterfuck, but escalation never comes from just one side, and as we have

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
DC_78 said:
That said I am still confused how anyone can control the trolls on the internet?
It's actually very simple. Would you like me to show you?

lacktheknack said:
Fuck them too.

Knack? I'm asking you this as a friend. Presumably a friend.

CALM. DOWN.

I understand you're upset, and that you have very strong feelings about this, and I even understand what those feelings are; however, not only are there a nearly endless amount of better ways to tell them this, but I think I can count the worse ways to tell them this on one hand. Just telling people to go fuck themselves acomplishes very little unless you tell them WHY they can go fuck themselves in the same breath. And while it's frustrating to have to tell someone again and again and again and again and AGAIN WHY they can go fuck themselves, as opposed to just telling them to go fuck themselves, that's what you have to do. If they get you to the point where you've degenerated into unintelligable nonsense-babble, then at best you've lost a great deal of ground, and at worst you have lost period.

I've dealt with rabble-rousers before. You know that, and I know you know that. So understand that I say this from experience; you have to meet them in such a way that they cannot just sweep aside whatever it is you have to say. You have to flood them with evidence, so much evidence that it cannot be ignored. And more than anything else, you have to be respectful to them. Yes, even when they're doing everything they can to bring you down. Even when they don't deserve it. Especially when they don't deserve it. You must be respectful, because a debate isn't just one person talking to another person, it's also both of those people performing for the people passively observing. And the more you can prove that you do have a point, and you are able to make your point without resorting to childish nonsense, and the better you can prove that you have something important to say, the better the odds are that people are going to pay attention to what you are saying.

Again, please, bear in mind; I'm not attacking you, and I'm not even disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that I know you're better than this. The abyss gazes, also, and he who would fight monsters needs make sure he does not become one himself.