Gamers less likely to study at uni. *article*

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Well I'm doing a course through the Open University on a machine I built with gaming in mind, so yeah, I call bullshit on this one.

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
I play lots of games. I read books, but only occasionally. A few months ago I was accepted into a University. Early. And they gave me a scholarship.

Take that, internet.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
People who frequently read books at age 16 rather than pursuing other activities are more inclined to be academically oriented?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Actually this sound about right.

It should be noted that the study is not claiming a causal relation.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
No, this study, it's probably correct. I have no reason to assume lack of significance or a flawed, correlational design. However, the study discusses CORRELATION not CAUSATION. I'm fine with the study, i'm just not fine with the people on both sides, for and against, video games who want this study to imply causation when it doesn't. Some people want it to be another ignorant attack against games, others want it to be scientific evidence discrediting games. Meanwhile, the people doing this study are just showing their data in a fairly impartial way whilst everyone else tries to twist it to their side.

I'm very sympathetic towards real research Psychologists. Half their field is done by people making up bullshit, the other half is studies that people with no grounding in science discredit by trying to put words in their mouths. Look, when science gets right down to it, Games are going to be no more harmful then any other media. Because I know that, I am not afraid of any study, no matter what it is setting out to discover. The likely fact that extensive gaming can indicate less likelihood of continuing your education is the first step towards finding a more salient cause for the decreased ambition.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Makes sense to me. Though I'm guessing that about 80% of the posts will just be saying "NEGATIVE STEREOTYPE!" and "Lies, slander, propaganda!"

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Well duh.

There are many things out there that make people less likely to do something.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
WELL WITH ALL THESE GAMES HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ANYTHING ELSE!

But nah, this is one of those studies that addresses the demographic of which i am part, yet will not deter me from my path or change anything.

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
I call bullshit! I played lots of games when I was at school, and now I'm 3 months away from being a fully qualified vet.

mercifulwrath

Feb 18, 2011
Gibboniser said:
I read and play games, so .. I guess they cancel each other out?
Yeah, I was just about to say the same thing. It is just stupid to suggest that a person can only play computer games OR read.

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
It depends on if the person wants to go to college or if they want to play games all day its their choice and honestly this doesn't really prove anything

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
ronald1840 said:
School Work > Family > Employment > Social Life(party) > Sports Recreation > Gaming.
Did you refine those priorities from playing Persona 4? :p

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
Maybe the study is slightly misinterpreting the data. Maybe frequently playing games is not the cause, but a symptom of the real cause: a shorter attention span. People with a shorter attention span are more likely to be bored by books and find it harder to sit down and study for any length of time. They also find games much more appealing to their quickly bored minds. See? You're less likely to go the a university not because your a gamer, but for the same reason that you became a gamer.

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
i'm currently at uni and i'm playing a game right now....although I actually saw this article yesterday and it does make sense that if someone is willing to forgo reading and education for the sake of gaming they probably won't care for university, but to be honest if you want to go to uni and you're fine with racking up the debt, then being well read is not important, there is such a diverse course list at most institutions that almost anyone who wants to go can.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
This reminds me of one of the studies a professor of mine posted on their office door about how students that spend a lot of time on Facebook get poorer grades.

As if it's some news flash that doing something other than studying reduces grades.

I'm sure there's a correlation here, and maybe even a causation. But is it really about the games? Sure, students that play games for 6 hours a day instead of studying are unlikely to get the grades to get into a good university.

But so are kids who read non-school related materials for 6 hours a day. Or paint for 6 hours a day. Or watch TV for 6 hours a day. Or skateboard 6 hours a day.

People who read tend to be more scholarly, as the two are so closely tied and dependent on each other. Even reading fiction, you usually get some kind of value on it. And these people are more likely to express an interest in their studies.

Plus, it may simply be these students already have no interest in their studies, and gaming is simply how they choose to fill that time, as opposed to some other activity.