Gamers Prefer Local Multiplayer Over Online

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
I don't get how screen watching is cheating, its really an entirely different concept and inflow of information as versus Lan/Online. You have certain information sources taken away from you and replace with new ones.

Its also abit hard not to screen watch when your name comes up as big letters on your opponenets screen in bright red, before they kill you.

t0rm3n7

Mar 25, 2009
I still remember finding ways around the school computer anti-gaming set ups. Eventually my friends and I had LAN games of Starcraft going on during classes over the internal network. :D

Cleverpun

Dec 11, 2008
Nothing beats a game of SoulCalibur IV or Brawl or Mario Kart with your buds. You don't get the psychological warfare aspect online.

"Dude, sit down! I can't see the screen!" (crashes into fake box).

The G.I.F.T. really doesn't help things either.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Goldeneye was the shit back in the day. There is no better thrill than capping your friends in the head with a well placed shot of your RCP-90...followed up with a swift karate chop to finish them off...

With online, there is so much you have to worry about like connections, lag and glitching. With split screen, all you needed were friends, 4 controllers and an immense adrenaline rush topped off with a few shots of mountain dew...

Oh boy, those were the days...

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I have many fond memories of 4 player Halo 2 multiplayer on a friends Xbox and while online will never match or exceed this, I find picking a few servers online and staying with them means you end getting to know people you play with which makes thing much more fun.

Re: Screen-watching, I was always for it to the extent I was able to play racing games soley by watching my opponents screens to block their overtaking. Fun times.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
meatloaf231 said:
Yeah, did they just figure this out?
Seriously, it took a study to discover this? Gaming with friends and family will always be more fun than dealing with complete strangers, at least on a personal level. If you get your kicks by griefing, however...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
SharPhoe said:
meatloaf231 said:
Seriously, it took a study to discover this? Gaming with friends and family will always be more fun than dealing with complete strangers, at least on a personal level. If you get your kicks by griefing, however...
I got griefed in L4D yesterday: someone joined the room and shot us all.

Yeah, this wasn't necessary. I mean, taking down the Locust or running around a crazy level in LBP is just better when you have your buddy next to you on the couch. It's more personal.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
scotth266 said:
SharPhoe said:
meatloaf231 said:
I got griefed in L4D yesterday: someone joined the room and shot us all.

Yeah, this wasn't necessary. I mean, taking down the Locust or running around a crazy level in LBP is just better when you have your buddy next to you on the couch. It's more personal.
oh... Shit... Was that you? I went on to get my steamID and figured I'd leave with a bang :s

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
wordsmith said:
oh... Shit... Was that you? I went on to get my steamID and figured I'd leave with a bang :s
Nope, his name was something like Guilremofan459. No idea on the spelling.

Another amusing incident was with a guy known as HappyDays. We were slaughtering a horde, and in the middle of it he decided to play the Happy Days song through his mike at the max volume. Then, when the horde was finished, he killed us all.

Something else that doesn't need a study: board games are even better experiences than LAN parties, due to the higher amount of player interaction.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
I already did a poll on this

Online won
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.109442?view_results=1

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
I like fighting games to have local Multiplayer, but honestly, i hate split screen, I want my whole screen to myself thank you.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Oh yeah, local multiplayer is so much fun.

MKWii online = frustrating, broken experience
MKWii with 3 friends, when you're all half drunk = Don't stop laughing, and you're having too much fun to give a shit about the broken item system.

Jan 29, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
Goldeneye was the shit back in the day. There is no better thrill than capping your friends in the head with a well placed shot of your RCP-90...followed up with a swift karate chop to finish them off...

With online, there is so much you have to worry about like connections, lag and glitching. With split screen, all you needed were friends, 4 controllers and an immense adrenaline rush topped off with a few shots of mountain dew...

Oh boy, those were the days...
...before I KLOBBERED you. (Hypothetically)

Mickleggo

Aug 10, 2009
I like the concept of online multiplayer because you get the hole screen to yourself and theres no real cheating of looking at eachothers screens.

My only real problem with it is you need a really good internet connection to be able to play without lagg, and that's a bit of a problem when you nearest phone provider is 500km away.

And wireless internet isn't much better because you might get large bandwidth, but with wireless comes high latency.

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
Somebody tell Blizzard! In all seriousness I wish Blizzard could actually grasp this idea...

Anyways, I'm personally very much so a fan of playing with my friends, not some randoms online. I'm just not much of a people person, on or offline. Even in MMOs, I rarely group with people that I don't know, or that my more outgoing friends have found to group with. I'll hop in and play with random people online, but it's never as much fun as it is to be playing with my good friends.

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
Are you saying that... playing with your friends... is more fun than playing with strangers... but... this cannot be!

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Just because you're not in the same room as someone, doesn't mean you can't laugh. But I do miss playing 4-8 way Mario kart Double Dash with mates...D:

rasmusernst

Flaming Voodoo Cannonball!
May 13, 2009
well, I prefer the good old local network stuff. It's a lot more enjoyable to shoot/teabag friends in the face, than total strangers.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Playing with friend > Playing with 10-year old kid from france.

Simple.