Gamers Prefer Local Multiplayer Over Online

You_have_a_name

Feb 25, 2009
why is everyone saying that playing online is playing with strangers, do people not realise that you can play online with your friends?
i think local multilayer only works with sports games
and if your with your friends their are better thinks to do than play games when you can do that with them online

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
Who wouldn't, Its much more fun being able to humilate friends than strangers, and being able to make fun of em
What this guy said! Honestly! Seriously, it really is more fun to rub it in your friends faces

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
This is partially why the Wii has done well amongst some (not all) more "serious" gamers (I refuse to use the terms "hardcore" and "casual", those are stupid labels). As much as people will rail against it, Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are a lot of fun when it's you and 3 of your closest friends trying to outperform/humiliate each other or just have fun. It's a very old-school mentality that I think a lot of people who have been gaming since the early 90s are more apt to participate in.

Hell, a good example would be Mario Kart DS, which despite having online play was frequently played by my friends and me in our dorm suite in college with our DS' networked to one-another.

And on another note, I'm guessing nobody at Blizzard saw this study.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Singularly Datarific said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Goldeneye was the shit back in the day. There is no better thrill than capping your friends in the head with a well placed shot of your RCP-90...followed up with a swift karate chop to finish them off...

With online, there is so much you have to worry about like connections, lag and glitching. With split screen, all you needed were friends, 4 controllers and an immense adrenaline rush topped off with a few shots of mountain dew...

Oh boy, those were the days...
...before I KLOBBERED you. (Hypothetically)
Oh no you did not just make a Klobb joke...

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
How I love just bringing a few mates around to enjoy a bit of Halo 3 or Guitar Hero (or rock band).

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I hate splitscreen though. It just annoys the hell out of me. Two people is fine, but after that I can't stand it.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
What? People like playing with their friends over loud stoners online? No...
OT: I actually like playing online because a. I don't have many friends to play with. 2. I like playing with people who don't know me. III. No screen watchers. Four. When people rage, the worst they can do is report you or scream at you. At home, your friends could flip out and destroy your console.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
LAN parties rock my socks. But then, I met my girlfriend at one; we bonded over Cooking Mama and the tabletop game Zombies!!! It was meant to be.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Offline is far better. Besides the aforementioned lag issues, it's easier to spot cheaters, and for more adaptable. It's hard to get a large online group to switch games.
I really can't think of any element of online play that really beats in-person, other than larger numbers of players, which I feel is more than made up for by the fact that you have your friends right there.