Gamers Rage About Bayonetta 2 on Wii U

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
DustyDrB said:
If it was a choice between a Wii U exclusive Bayonetta 2 and no Bayonetta 2 at all, wouldn't the console exclusive be the better option?
Actually, not exactly. At least from the perspective of fans of the original, that is.

See, Bayonetta not getting any sequels in the immediate future still leaves plenty of room for a publisher to revive the IP down the road with a sequel, say midway through the PS4/XBox720s(/whatever) development cycle.

The Bayonetta sequel for the Wii U will predictably suck, and will predictably be abandoned as a failed franchise. Or, worse, it will heavily modified into a completely different game in order to adapt to the change in platform, budget, and development team, and bear little resemblance to the original save the name (as an example off the top of my head: Bloodrayne). In that case, if it tanks it will be abandoned as a failed IP, and if it's successful chances are the franchise will continue in it's heavily modified state in any cross-platform games.

In any of the above three cases, fans of the original are sure to never see an actual sequel, whereas before at least a potential sequel is up in the air at some future point.

A rare but admittedly possible event could see the new Bayonetta sell well without going through any kind of adaption changes that drastically changes the game, and this sequel could actually promote more cross platform sequels. The likelihood of this is quite low given the Wii's reputation in this regard.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
DjinnFor said:
DustyDrB said:
If it was a choice between a Wii U exclusive Bayonetta 2 and no Bayonetta 2 at all, wouldn't the console exclusive be the better option?
Actually, not exactly. At least from the perspective of fans of the original, that is.
I am a fan of the orignal, so false there.

See, Bayonetta not getting any sequels in the immediate future still leaves plenty of room for a publisher to revive the IP down the road with a sequel, say midway through the PS4/XBox720s(/whatever) development cycle.
Or not? All we know is that a sequel was cancelled and not picked up by anyone other than Nintendo. So maybes don't really mean much here...

The Bayonetta sequel for the Wii U will predictably suck, and will predictably be abandoned as a failed franchise. Or, worse, it will heavily modified into a completely different game in order to adapt to the change in platform, budget, and development team, and bear little resemblance to the original save the name (as an example off the top of my head: Bloodrayne). In that case, if it tanks it will be abandoned as a failed IP, and if it's successful chances are the franchise will continue in it's heavily modified state in any cross-platform games.
Pure speculation and BS.

In any of the above three cases, fans of the original are sure to never see an actual sequel, whereas before at least a potential sequel is up in the air at some future point.
And no true Scotsman...
Sorry, that whole "fans of the orignal" schtick isn't really working for you. Fans of the original would be excited for a sequel. Period end.

A rare but admittedly possible event could see the new Bayonetta sell well without going through any kind of adaption changes that drastically changes the game, and this sequel could actually promote more cross platform sequels. The likelihood of this is quite low given the Wii's reputation in this regard.
A reputation that totally saw Nintendo allowing Platinum Games (same developer, by the way) to release Madworld? I mean, come on. I know like three people played that game, but at least most of us heard of it and know it wasn't exactly traditional or safe.

So, other than blind brand loyalty to PS and Xbox, is there any actual compelling reason to not believe a Wii U Bayonetta would be just as good as it would be for any other platform? No. There is not. And I'm done here.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I know exclusives are kind of annoying and lame but you'd think people would be happy nintendo is pushing for more 'adult' games this time around. I'm actually happy to see that for once. I think it's great Nintendo finally produced their own HD system.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
DustyDrB said:
I am a fan of the orignal, so false there.
Sorry, I should clarify: fans who have put some thought into this. Also note that merely pointing out you are one person who happens to disagree with me doesn't really affect a generality. The fact that so many self-reported fans are complaining about this lends weight to my position that most fans agree with me.

DustyDrB said:
Or not? All we know is that a sequel was cancelled and not picked up by anyone other than Nintendo. So maybes don't really mean much here...
Maybes > Garanteed No's.

DustyDrB said:
Pure speculation and BS.
More like forecasting based off of well-established trends. The only good cross-platform franchises that ever came out of any of the Nintendo consoles were when Capcom had decided they wanted to partner up with Nintendo for a few years and make some good games for the Gamecube by the names of Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

DustyDrB said:
Sorry, that whole "fans of the orignal" schtick isn't really working for you. Fans of the original would be excited for a sequel. Period end.
Presumably fans of the original would be excited for a sequel that was a sequel in more than just name. For example: it bears some resemblance to the original. Hence my position.

DustyDrB said:
A reputation that totally saw Nintendo allowing Platinum Games (same developer, by the way) to release Madworld? I mean, come on. I know like three people played that game, but at least most of us heard of it and know it wasn't exactly traditional or safe.
I never anything about Nintendo being too "traditional" or "safe", I'm talking about "sells well" and "plays well".

DustyDrB said:
So, other than blind brand loyalty to PS and Xbox, is there any actual compelling reason to not believe a Wii U Bayonetta would be just as good as it would be for any other platform?
Is the fact that every single cross-platform game with the Wii has had to be drastically downgraded and/or completely reworked from their PS3 and XBox360 versions not reason enough? Just like what happened to the Gamecube as compared to the PS2 and XBox?

I have a Gamecube and Wii with plenty of games on them, and they do what they do best. Which is most certainly not taking successful IPs and creating dramatically improved gameplay in the form of sequels. I'd be almost as skeptical if Sega decided to sell the Sonic brand to Sony to make some PS4 exclusive; the difference is Sony doesn't have a record for mucking up this kind of thing.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
It's not that hard to see why people are upset. People don't want the WiiU or even like it.

The controller is clunky and the entire system is based around motion controls.

It has less power than other consoles. It's very expensive and so is the WiiU controller.

Nintendo has made people leave their system by deciding to only focus on the non-gamers who don't even play their system anymore.

And now, to get the sequel to their favorite game, they have to get a game system they don't like and never planned on buying and likely won't play anymore after finishing Bayonetta 2.

It's a real inconvenience when you think about it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
can't say I have any interest in Bayonetta so no feelings there particularly
but I'm not about to jump to defend poor ol' Nintendo for getting bashed when trying to gain back its hardcore gamers
it's one think to get more hardcore games on the Wii U in said attempt, but by making it an exclusive it also becomes "ha, now you HAVE to buy our new console if you want to play this game" and it's no longer just a genuine attempt to win back some old fans who've moved on (like myself during my late teen years), but also one to make us fork over more money

guess no side is totally innocent and happy here, but then again when is it ever really :[

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Ahh console rage... at the moment Sony and Microsoft have offered nothing but Nintendo have announced a sequel to an incredibly good game. Why is the Wii U not a real console again?

Shia-Neko-Chan said:
To be honest having less power isn't as big a deal as you'd think. It's not as big a gap as there was between the Wii and PS3/360 and being released so far ahead of the other two it puts it in a similar position the PS1 and 2 were in. Both of them had less power than their competitors, both of them crushed their competitors.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
The only 'rage' I can see in this thread are silly unfounded comments like this:
DjinnFor said:
The Bayonetta sequel for the Wii U will predictably suck, and will predictably be abandoned as a failed franchise.
"Whaa, it's gonna suck cos it's going on a Nintendo console and the whole series is gonna die"
Yet, if the sequel was on the PS3 or 360, consoles that are physically weaker then the WiiU, there'd be no problem to these people.

I suppose it's just impossible to understand that train of logic if you aren't a rabid fanboy...
Best I can figure is that people don't want their precious "mature" games being published by a "kiddy" company. If it doesn't sell well people are gonna go "See, this proves me right!" even if the only thing that stops it from selling is the fact that most "Bayonetta fans" are also "Nintendo haters".
TLDR: Flamebait.
Edit:
DjinnFor said:
Is the fact that every single cross-platform game with the Wii has had to be drastically downgraded and/or completely reworked from their PS3 and XBox360 versions not reason enough? Just like what happened to the Gamecube as compared to the PS2 and XBox?
Fun Fact: it was the PS2 that was the console games had to be downgraded for, the GC hardware was only slightly weaker then Xbox hardware.
Don't believe me? here's Resident Evil 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz0LbKpZtI

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
I didn't play the first one, so I don't care. I understand why people are annoyed though... to an extent. Burn down Nintendo? Really? -_-

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
DjinnFor said:
More like forecasting based off of well-established trends. The only good cross-platform franchises that ever came out of any of the Nintendo consoles were when Capcom had decided they wanted to partner up with Nintendo for a few years and make some good games for the Gamecube by the names of Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.
Slight correction here. Resident Evil 4 came out on the Gamecube first. In fact, IIRC it was planned to be exclusive, until overwhelmingly positive sales convinced Capcom to release it on the PS2 as well.

Something similar also happened to Tales of Symphonia.

And if you haters and whiners think about it, The same thing could possibly happen here. If Bayonetta 2 does really well on the Wii U, Platinum could renegotiate with Nintendo to allow them to make a PS3 or 360 version later (maybe in exchange for another game).

And frankly, this is the game's best shot at all.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
SoulSalmon said:
Fun Fact: it was the PS2 that was the console games had to be downgraded for, the GC hardware was only slightly weaker then Xbox hardware.
Don't believe me? here's Resident Evil 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz0LbKpZtI
I am well aware of the situation surrounding Resident Evil 4. Evidently you are not, as indicated by your use of it as an example to prove some kind of point about the capabilities of consoles.

The reality of the situation is that the Gamecube was so drastically different from the PS3 and XBox in it's hardware specifics and ease of development that it was far cheaper to develop it for the two major consoles then port the result to the Gamecube. Much like the situation between the XBox360 and the PS3 now.

As a result the handful of Gamecube exclusives actually looked half decent, although not in comparison to their counterparts on the PS2 and XBox. And when one of them was ported directly to the PS2 without going through any kind of modifications (like Resident Evil 4) the result was a downgrade. Similarly, the PC version of Resident Evil 4 was even worse until modders started going at it and the graphics updates came out.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
DjinnFor said:
SoulSalmon said:
I am well aware of the situation surrounding Resident Evil 4. Evidently you are not, as indicated by your use of it as an example to prove some kind of point about the capabilities of consoles. Which you are wrong, by the way; the real capabilities of the PS2 exceeded that of the Gamecube because the Gamecube's use of it's GPU and CPU was less efficient and it's RAM had deficiencies.

The reality of the situation is that the Gamecube was so drastically different from the PS3 and XBox in it's hardware specifics and ease of development that it was far cheaper to develop it for the two major consoles then port the result to the Gamecube. Much like the situation between the XBox360 and the PS3 now.

As a result the handful of Gamecube exclusives actually looked half decent, although not in comparison to their counterparts on the PS2 and XBox. And when one of them was ported directly to the PS2 without going through any kind of modifications (like Resident Evil 4) the result was a downgrade. Similarly, the PC version of Resident Evil 4 was even worse until modders started going at it and the graphics updates came out.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Wow, and I just don't care. I wish more stuff I don't care about would gather into one big pile of couldn't give a fuck and fade out of time/space.

tyytedde

Apr 11, 2012
Laurie Barnes said:
I personally find it disappointing that a game I might have bought is going to be exlusive to Nintendo's latest gimmick machine.
People like you are the reason there is no innovation these days.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jerram Fahey said:
Resistive =/= crappy. When you get your hands on the pad and find that it doesn't work, THEN you can say it's crappy. I'll have you know I've had no problem typing on a BAD resistive touch screen (Yinlips YDPG16), so your caps are COMPLETELY unjustified. Knowing Nintendo they're not about to release something that doesn't function, and they no doubt have valid reasons for going in that direction (for starters it keeps costs down - a point you've been bitching about. Secondly they're more durable than capacitive screens, which is great for the kiddies).

In all your ranting, nothing you've said actually counters anything I've said. Your ONLY arguments are:
1) You have to look down - something everybody had to do anyway before they familiarised themselves with the layout (e.g. "Press X, which is X again? Oh yes, I see it"). After some use you'll no longer need to look down to remember where everything is.
2) You have to take your hands off the controls - not necessarily true. I'm sure developers would be smart enough to put most of the "buttons" at the sides of the pad where they can easily be reached by your thumbs. If they don't, that's the developer's fault - not Nintendo (unless they're the ones that do it).

Now, quit hating an open your mind a little. The screen has limitations, yes, but they seem no where near as crippling as you want to pretend they are.

Impossible standard, you require that I discard all technical precedent and claim ignorance till I have actually bought one. Well that throws ALL critical thought out of the window.

"Knowing Nintendo, they're not about to release something that doesn't function"

Red Steel 1. Wii-mote did NOT work as advertised, the Wii-motion-plus tried and again failed to fix the problem. The reason they are going in this direction is a cheap and gimmicky "me too" attempt to surf on the iPad tablet buzz at the moment.

You know what REALLY keeps costs down? Not even trying such ill suited gimmicks.

Having to look down forces us all to be as incompetent as novices, i.e. casual crap. You'd only have to look down to memorise where X-button is once or twice, but a screen button positions would constantly be changing.

You DO have to take your hands off the controls to reach across the screen, this means you can't seamlessly swipe something from one side of the screen to another and limit the use of the touch-screen to the periphery.

WiiU tablet is a huge problem and Nintendo could solve so much (even at this late stage) by dropping this pointless controller and focusin on the normal thumbstick controller and giving WiiU more internal HDD capacity. Open your mind to the technical FACTS. Open your mind to CRITICISM and REASON! Stop constantly thinking with excuses.

Don't be so defensive and reactionary. If we actually put enough pressure on Nintendo then they will end their retarded ways.

With any luck if I buy a WiiU for the ridiculously overpriced $350, I can sell the pointless table controller for $170 brining my net expenditure down to $180 + $50 for the proper controller, $230 is THE RIGHT PRICE for the WiiU minuse the pointless gimmicky WiiU Tabltet controller.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
The problem is that a lot of these Bayonetta fans were probably not planning on buying a Wii U. They were probably Xbox owners planning on buying the next Xbox, and now they don't know what they're gonna buy but they only have enough money for one console.

At least, that's why I'd be upset. I imagine I'd feel the same way if Nintendo got to publish Catherine 2 exclusively on the Wii U. They seem to be in the business of taking franchises and buying them out as exclusives for a little while, as evidenced by their takeover of Monster Hunter that's killing Sony in Japan.