Gamers Ruled Ancient City in Pakistan

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gamers Ruled Ancient City in Pakistan

An archaeologist recently published a paper musing over the large amount of dice and playing pieces found in a 4500 year old city in Pakistan.

We've known that humans have played games for a long time. From the a board game called Senet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/days-of-high-adventure/7125-Those-Funny-Dice]. Despite these findings, evidence that humans played games throughout history has been largely ignored by the archaeology community, dismissing the findings as trifles or meaningless. But Elke Rogersdotter, from the University of Gothenburg in Sweden, has written a thesis about the large number of gaming artifacts found in Mohenjo-daro in modern-day Pakistan. The ancient city was one of the largest in the world when it was built around 2600 BC, and Rogersdotter points out that one in every tenth artifact found is gaming-related, suggesting a greater link to games for our ancient ancestors. The question is, seeing as Mohenjo-daro was discovered in 1922: why haven't archaeologists discussed this before?

"The reason that play and game-related artifacts often end up ignored or being reinterpreted at archaeological excavations is probably down to scientific thinking's incongruity with the irrational phenomenon of games and play," said Rogersdotter. "They have been regarded, for example, as signs of harmless pastimes and thus considered less important for research, or have been reinterpreted based on ritual aspects."

One interesting aspect of Rogersdotters thesis is the observation that these gaming pieces weren't scattered randomly throughout the ancient city, but concentrated in certain buildings and places. Does that suggest gaming halls, where ancient men and women would gather to throw some dice with their pals? Mohenjo-daro is also unique because archaeologists have yet to find any temples or palaces in the city, and scholarship is stumped as to how the city governed itself.

These two seemingly unrelated facts lead me to one conclusion: Gamers ruled Mohenjo-daro.

Of course, that's not exactly what Rogersdotter's thesis is proposing. She's more concerned with using gaming to understand the common citizen of Mohenjo-daro's daily life. "The marked quantity of play-related finds and the structured distribution shows that playing was already an important part of people's everyday lives more than 4,000 years ago," she said. "It is an instrument we can use to come up with interpretations that are closer to the individual person. We may gain other, more socially-embedded, approaches for a difficult-to-interpret settlement."

Hmm, I like my idea better, Elke.

Source: Science Daily [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110207114941.htm]

hansari

May 31, 2009
Would be pretty cool to have a website that categorized all the games civilizations have been playing throughout history. Who knows, maybe Senet is cool enough to give another go...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well the Egyptians were well known for playing Childrens' card games.

I would have thought ancient leisure time would be more popular a topic of research than it is made out to be here. I mean the tour guides went on and on about the bloody bath house when I went to a Roman fort.

Also reminds me of this:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/voynich_manuscript.png

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
LogicNProportion said:
I'm seeing it kind of like a neolithic Las Vegas.
Ninja'd! But they lacked wedding chapels (apparently) so I'm assuming there was some form of prohibition...

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Makes me think of Player of Games by Iain M Banks, book about a society ruled by gamers. Damn good book.

Anywho, long live the gamers!

This!...

Is!...

FUN!!!

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
Very interesting, and sort of draws out the undercurrent of mainstream archeaology: That our ancestors were pretty stupid.

Of course from roman steam powered automatons that were used to make music or act in plays, to the fact that much of the math system we currently use was around back then, I think this is a sort of mis-step.

It sort of reminds me of the story where an ancient incan amulet had meteoric glass from the arabian desert.

Afterglow

Nov 2, 2009
Being an archaeologist myself I can tell you that games have not been ignored, they have just never gotten much press. Why give press space to that unimpressive die carved out of bone when you can talk about the cool gold amulet?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Afterglow said:
Being an archaeologist myself I can tell you that games have not been ignored, they have just never gotten much press. Why give press space to that unimpressive die carved out of bone when you can talk about the cool gold amulet?
From our point of view, haven't there been enough gold amulets found? This is the first I've heard of ancient twelve-sided dice.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im getting a very definite feeling that no-one outside of the archaeological or gaming communities will not care about this much.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I say we resurrect the glorious days where society was ruled by a game-ocracy. Social status will be determined by one's skill at games, and the mightiest gamers will be served by the lowest caste of noobish casuals.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh. Oh God.

My father related that anciently - a matter of centuries; of years? - the lottery in Babylon was a game of plebeian character. He said (I do not know with what degree of truth) that barbers gave rectangular bits of bone or decorated parchment in exchange for copper coins. A drawing of the lottery was held in the middle of the day: the winners received, without further corroboration from chance, silverminted coins. The procedure, as you see, was elemental.

Naturally, these "lotteries" failed. Their moral virtue was nil. They did not appeal to all the faculties of men: only to their hope. In the face of public indifference, the merchants who established these venal lotteries began to lose money. Someone attempted to introduce a slight reform: the interpolation of a certain small number of adverse outcomes among the favored numbers. By means of this reform, the purchasers of numbered rectangles stood the double chance of winning a sum or of paying a fine often considerable in size. This slight danger - for each thirty favored numbers there would be one adverse number - awoke, as was only natural, the public's interest. The Babylonians gave themselves up to the game. Anyone who did not acquire lots was looked upon as pusillanimous, mean-spirited. In time, this disdain multiplied. The person who did not play was despised, but the losers who paid the fine were also scorned. The Company (thus it began to be known at that time) was forced to take measures to protect the winners, who could not collect their prizes unless nearly the entire amount of the fines was already collected. The Company brought suit against the losers: the judge condemned them to pay the original fine plus costs or to spend a number of days in jail. Every loser chose jail, so as to defraud the Company. It was from this initial bravado of a few men that the all-powerful position of the Company - its ecclesiastical, metaphysical strength - was derived.

A short while later, the reports on the drawings omitted any enumeration of fines and limited themselves to publishing the jail sentences corresponding to each adverse number. This laconism, almost unnoticed at the time, became of capital importance. It constituted the first appearance in the lottery of non-pecuniary elements. Its success was great. Pushed to such a measure by the players, the Company found itself forced to increase its adverse numbers.

Borges was right, run for the hills

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Been there, but the guide never told me about the games that were found there. The city smelled funny, though. And it wasn't the curry.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Well the Egyptians were well known for playing Childrens' card games.

I would have thought ancient leisure time would be more popular a topic of research than it is made out to be here. I mean the tour guides went on and on about the bloody bath house when I went to a Roman fort.

Also reminds me of this:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/voynich_manuscript.png
This. People at almost any point in history are functionally the same as modern people. Disregarding technology, science, sanitization, etc. But we're only at the current level because they had theories about everything two thousand years ago. Back then, people were just as curious about the world as they are nowadays.