Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

It's commonly held that the pen is mightier than the sword, but a new group of fund-raising protesters seeks to prove that the cupcake is mightier than both.

In a maneuver that's as surprising as it is saccharine, one player unhappy with Mass Effect 3's controversial ending has organized and executed what I'm just going to call a "cupcakening." After raising $1000 on the BioWare forums, user LoganKey partnered with a local bakery to produce 400 cupcakes and ship them to BioWare's offices in Edmonton, Canada.

The natural next question is, of course, "why," and the answer is well ... interesting? Essentially, the cupcakes have been iced in three different colors, but all taste the same. See where this is going? If you still don't get it, here's what LoganKey has to say about his sugary scheme:

We are currently trying to organize the delivery of a mass of cupcakes to Bioware's studio in Edmonton. All the cupcakes will be divided into equal parts Red, Blue and Green colors... but they will all taste exactly the same. If you'd like to participate, please check out the thread below and let us know.

This coming week, we should send Bioware boxes upon boxes of a dozen cupcakes. We are taking ideas as to what sort of notes we should have attached on each box. Some possibilities include:

- "No matter what color you choose, they all taste the same";
- "No matter what color you choose, it's all vanilla ;-D"
- "We rage because we love"

I'm not quite sure why three cupcakes wouldn't have sufficed, putting this "movement" back maybe $10 with shipping instead of a grand, but then again, maybe it's important that every single employee taste the scrumptious consequences of its writers' foolish actions! I think the only real question left is, what can I write here that would be controversial enough to get you people to mail me some cupcakes. I'm hungry over here.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5896847/gamers-send-bioware-400-cupcakes]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Those cupcakes are entitled whiners! They need to shut their fucking mouths and have some respect for artistic integrity!

Kidding, kidding.

I approve of this act. Gets the point across in a friendly fashion. Plus, y'know... cupcakes.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Wow, that's infinitely more awesome than every other protest-dealy related to Mass Effect 3

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
400 cupcakes
I'm assembling a team.
We'll need the best, and people we can trust. Our goal is one frought with peril, but the payoff will be so sweet. We will infiltrate the BioWare headquarters at Edmonton. Those cupcakes will be ours, and no one will even know we were there.

Accepting applications until Friday. We must move quickly, lest our bounty be devoured.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
So vanilla huh... Why of all the delicious kinds of cupcakes why vanilla? Marble, strawberry, yogurt filled, why vanilla? It's so bland and boring, just like the Ma... Oh.

Lakart

Mar 29, 2011
I dunno, if I worked at BioWare this would seem like more of a reason to put out controversial and rage inducing endings in the hopes of free baked goods. Making people happy makes them like you, but apparently making them froth with rage gets you cupcakes.

raitchison

Apr 6, 2010
If they had sent only 3 cupcakes it would have been ignored by EA and by the gaming media. As this article's existence proves the 1000 cupcakes makes this particular gesture impossible to ignore.

I would have liked to see them work out how to get a dig on the "it doesn't matter what choices you made, the outcome is going to be the same" which IMO is the worst part about the ME3 ending.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
So vanilla huh... Why of all the delicious kinds of cupcakes why vanilla? Marble, strawberry, yogurt filled, why vanilla? It's so bland and boring, just like the Ma... Oh.
You should win a cupcake for that.

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
Weird, interesting, but unique form of protest.

On a personal note, just seeing this makes me want some cupcakes all of a sudden.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
*rubs eyes* Oh for the love of...Right on time I suppose, the campaign of rage has officially jumped the shark on it's stupidity. Can we go back to the days when the only fans who raged this hard were Star Wars fans? I liked those days, they were much quieter and filled with less ignorance to the fact that what they were angry over was not something they could campaign away. I don't really see how this is supposed to help them at all aside from furthering the point that they're all over-dramatic, attention seeking twits.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
thomaskattus said:
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.
*Cupcakes arrive at Bioware. Employees proceed to feast.*

"Hey Jerry... Where did these cupcakes come from?"
"Fans sent them. Some sort of protest about Mass Effect 3... Who knows."
"Sweet. Free cupcakes."

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
I think the only real question left is, what can I write here that would be controversial enough to get you people to mail me some cupcakes. I'm hungry over here.
If I wanted to mail you guys some baked goods, how would I go about doing that? You guys don't have a shipping address listed!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
I'm not quite sure why three cupcakes wouldn't have sufficed, putting this "movement" back maybe $10 with shipping instead of a grand, but then again, maybe it's important that every single employee taste the scrumptious consequences of its writers' foolish actions!
I'd say it's because it wouldn't have made the news otherwise.

"Gamer sends 3 cupcakes to BioWare offices, nobody bats an eye as they get eaten in 20 seconds"

Is not as impact-filled[footnote]It's a word now ok![/footnote] as;

"Gamer sends 400 cupcakes to BioWare offices and everyone takes note because you can't exactly ignore 400 cupcakes turning up at your door"

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
They'd really get the point across if every cupcake tasted terrible.

"It doesn't matter which one you choose, they're all bad!"

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
EvilChameleon said:
400 cupcakes can not be divided evenly into 3 different colors.
Space Magic. That's how.

OT: I approve. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, after all.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Well, if I suppose if people still want to keep dragging this out this is certainly an entertaining way of doing it.

I somehow doubt that this is going to help with getting fans to be taken more seriously though.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
No, no. You send -good- cupcakes to everyone on the Mass Effect team except that shithead Casey Hudson and the head writer I can't even remember. They get iced turds for running off into a corner with the ending and defecating on it, then trying to defend it by saying its 'highbrow' and 'artistic'. God damn shitheads.