Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

Dr. Dice Lord

Feb 4, 2010
Draech said:
Dr. Dice Lord said:
Yes because if there's anything that makes this world a worse place its people expressing their opinions of dissatisfaction. Not murder, war, poverty, disease, or bigotry, but people being dissatisfied with a product. We should all take it sitting down and lap up every little drop in expectation or quality happily. What exactly makes you so loyal to the developer's "artistic integrity"? I really don't get people like you, mate. You're making yourself look very ignorant.
Lol

Well that shut me up.... no wait.
Let us see the guy using "artistic integrity" without understanding the basic of what is going on.

And comparing people wanting to change a creative work, to wanting to stop war. Good game mate. Who is the ignorant one again?

Let me draw you a parallel.
The people who want to ban video games want to enforce conformity. Everyone should think like they do. Be forced to only do things they accept.

The people who want to force the ending changed. Same funking thing. They want to have the right to decided what is an acceptable ending and what isn't and only allow what they accept. That you are part of that group doesn't change the method of the group. It is censorship by popular vote. And I dont like that because I dont want that to happen to me.

Dont misunderstand me. I dont like the ending. I wish it was different. But I only want Bioware to change it if they dont like the ending.
Look up the word hyperbole and maybe you'll understand my previous post a little better. When did I say I think everyone should think like I do? When did the Retake movement claim that every person with a copy of Mass Effect 3 has to conform to their definition of what the ending should be? When did they type out a word-for-word script for exactly how the ending should be changed and then declare its cannon? When did the Retake movement force you to download a new piece of content and replay the ending of the game whether you wanted to or not?

Its not censorship by vote, its people expressing an opinion of dissatisfaction and asking, largely politely, for a change. There just happens to be more than a few of us, and in your eyes this makes us wrong and entitled. All I can suggest is that you deal with it since most of us aren't going to change our opinions.

Its clear that you're dead-set in your opinion of scorn towards this movement. I wish more people could see past their own misconceptions about our objectives and the bad apples that sully every party. If you truly think that we're making the world a worse place, that's your opinion. I just happen to think that's a highly irrational and reactionary point of view your continuing to spout.

Dr. Dice Lord

Feb 4, 2010
Draech said:
I have no problem with that.
As long as you dont try to enforce it on others.
While I want a downloadable, expanded ending, I don't want to enforce that on everyone. In an ideal outcome those who didn't want it wouldn't have to download it, and could continue to enjoy the game how they want.

We just want the varied endings we were promised, that's all. I'd be angry too if this change forced non-members into spending money or being forced to download my desired change in order to play the game.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
I like it. Very very nice =)

thomaskattus said:
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.
Not if they are laced with cyanide.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The cupcakes should have had hardly any flavor. That would send the message across about how cruel it is for ME3 to have such a tasteless ending.

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
Draech said:
Yes, but where I and I'm sure a lot of people disagree with MovieBob is that movies are never in the hands of the moviegoer to begin with. Unless a movie is based on a book, a comic or a TV show, you have no control over what happens in the story; by that I mean, the fanbase does not dictate the basic plot points of the story, because you were not aware of the story beforehand. Nor do most people go into a new movie with overly high expectations (in the event that there are disappointed, such as with this topic).

I have to express the interactive story in the ME because the above was not the case here. You were given a story that was meant to be told by you and me, the players. Your story could vastly differ from mine in many major ways. It simply does not make sense that our story should end with the same basic moral and cinematic, which is why so many people are up in arms about it. And again, they have a right to be, they are consumers. That's not to say that protest can't ruin a franchise even more (for example, what happened with Venom in Spider-man 3 after people found out he wasn't going to be in it), but by the same token the protest could result in something positive for everyone (example: the Broken Steel DLC for FO3).

Anyway, I'm getting away from the point; it's not wrong for the people who are dissatisfied to be actively but politely protesting their dissatisfaction. And Bioware has always represented itself to be open to suggestion from the fanbase as to where they should take things, so it's not wrong for them to consider at least add something as a response to this outcry, either. I do, however, disagree in the demand of a complete overhaul of the ending, and I agree with you that those people shouldn't force that opinion on others.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
Personally, I think this whole "retake Mass Effect" thing has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the deep end. =/ It just reinforces the stereotype of core gamers being whingy entitled little shits.

However, I can't deny the choice of 3 sets of cupcakes in different colours tasting the same amused me. =3 I like metaphors.

EDIT: To clarify- I haven't played ME3 yet, but when it comes to criticising something your criticism should ALWAYS be constructive. If what you're planning on saying isn't constructive, keep your opinion to yourself: you're not helping.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
What a tasty guilt-trip. There's no way they can ignore such a big gift from the fans and not give something back in return. They're practically obligated now.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Lillowh said:
EvilChameleon said:
400 cupcakes can not be divided evenly into 3 different colors.
Space Magic. That's how.

OT: I approve. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, after all.
The honey/vinegar thing is not true. You can try it, i wait.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
So if no one gets greedy and only takes one cupcake then no one will know they all taste the same? Ohhh that's deep!

Zack84

Feb 9, 2010
What exactly did people expect from a Mass Effect game??? I played the first one; while I thought it was a pretty decently-told story, I never understood the hype. Gameplay was exceedingly easy and boring, and the inventory management system was atrocious (I know, they improved it in later games).

If you play Mass Effect games, expect the experience to be rote. If you associate innovation with them you're a goddamn fool. Dialogue and atmosphere aren't the only ingredients to a good RPG.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
This is what I would call poetic justice.

EvilChameleon said:
400 cupcakes can not be divided evenly into 3 different colors.
Maybe they cut all the cupcakes into thirds and put the appropiate icing for each piece? That's my reasoning.