Gamers VS. Jimmy Kimmel!!!! Fight!!!!

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
I haven't looked, as I don't care that much, but exactly how many disparaging comments did he get?

Because I'm moderately certain it's not enough to qualify as "Gamers".

I remember the Man Show, and didn't find Kimmel particularly funny then, and outside a few moments on his current stint, that has persisted.

Him being unfunny here and insulting a large group of people out of ignorance ended about as well as expected - better, even as actual Lets Players attempted to show him wrong, however that really ended up working out.

Casual Shinji said:
Well... yes, but so are most popular things, especially on Youtube. The idea of watching someone experience a piece of entertainment instead of experiencing it yourself is kind of topsy turvy.
You know, I'm not entirely sure that holds true. I mean, Lets Plays are people being(or trying to be) funny as they experience something. But really, if you think about most standup comedians, they tend to regale funny stories about things they experienced in their life.

In both cases, they humorously present an experience we the audience experience vicariously. So I can't say I find the idea of experiencing something vicariously for the sake of entertainment to really be all THAT unusual.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Lufia Erim said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Lufia Erim said:
My goodness does no one have a sense of humor anymore? How dare someone make fun of something i you like! This is why no one takes gamers seriously. Bunch of immature manchildren.
Pretty much my thoughts on it. I don't know if I'd go so far as immature manchildren over this, but something along those lines for that kind of reaction at a mildly funny joke. (I find the concept hilarious but the execution just made me grin a bit)
It doesn't matter if people find it funny or not.he is the host of a comedy show, it's not like he was a news anhor on the daily news. Hes a comedian and decided to make a joke about lets plays. Big fucking whoop. He makes fun of many things. Thats hos job
Oh I just mentioned it to be clear I'm not even too big a fan of the joke and I find the reaction stupid.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
9,415 Likes to 134,016 Dislikes

Oh, for fucks sake! Am I supposed to believe this is the natural result of people watching his show and disliking it, rather than semi-organised strikes and dummy-spits from the various forums and websites that covered this shitstorm? This is why people think gamers are a bunch of whiny little brats; because, a frighteningly large portion of us are. I don't necessarily think the joke was all that funny, although I did get a bit of a chuckle when it zoomed out to God. In fact, this observation on people watching others play games is extremely stale at this point (seriously? Now? You haven't so much as showed up late for the party as you have slept through the anniversary of the party), was done far better by South Park already, and was never particularly clever to begin with. But, that doesn't mean we need to have a tantrum and pillory him for being ignorant about a subject that he's probably never been exposed to. And before people say it, no, I don't think comedians are wrong for making jokes about subjects that they might only have an outsider's perspective on.

I hate to be that guy to poke the elephant in the room, but if a bunch of "SJW sites" ran articles about a joke they found offensive resulting in hoards of people down voting the comedian to this level, how many gamers would still be yelling "Justice! Democracy has spoken! They got what they deserved for telling a joke that offended people!"
Very few, I should imagine.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Gaming: Totally the hobby of choice for mature adults. Again.

I wonder how many of those childish, screeching fuckwits have complained in the past about people getting offended too easily or having thin skins or said, "Have a bloody sense of humour, it's just a joke."

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Lilani said:
The only reason Jimmy got so much flack for this is because the people who made fun of about a thing he didn't know about happen to all reside on the Internet. On top of that, he seemed to underestimate the size of the group he was mocking. He felt he was making fun of a small group of basement-dwellers, but he was actually mocking a very sizeable chunk of generation Y, and basically an entire medium of entertainment which has the potential to swallow his own medium. Instead of making him look like the wise-cracking host he thinks he is, it just makes him look really old and out of touch with where the winds of entertainment media are blowing.
There it is. I'm pretty sure the pushback was never expected in the writer room. I don't know many people in my age bracket who haven't at least watched a few LPs if they play video games. Heck, you don't even have to play video games to enjoy a fun commentator.

Screw Kimmel, he never made me laugh as much as Coco and he sure as hell isn't a John Oliver. :D

[sub]That said, stop sending him death threats guys. That's stupid. >_>[/sub]

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I think my fucks given about this particular event is somewhere approaching zero. I think watching Let's Plays more than you need to determine if you want to buy a particular game is a waste of time, but to each their own. If you want to spend your day licking the walls, go right ahead. Doesn't mean anything to me.

Jokes are jokes and people get offended about everything these days. People don't learn about what they are hating on before they hate on it.

Hey look, it's another day on the internet.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Kaleion said:
The guy made a joke, it was stupid and not really all that funny but it was just that a joke, why do people even care about a joke?!

I don't get it at all, when I saw the joke I just rolled my eyes and left it at that and I don't even watch Let's Plays, well for the most part, that's all everyone should do, there's nothing to be offended by it's just a dumb joke like all those jokes about Jews and Pollacks and stuff.
Because people perceive other groups based on how they are represented by others. This is just how humans work in large numbers. They don't know how Let's Players are, but they watch Kimmell, and take his representation of them to heart. So now they are seeing Let's Players, and gamers in general, though his lens of us.

Considering how many assumptions have been made of me, based on some random things I did when I was younger, it's not that surprising. I used to wear finger nail polish, lipstick, and wear elaborate earrings. I'm also a 6ft 4in white heterosexual male. 9/10 of the people who would look at me and make a comment, would say something like "So why are you a Satanist?" or "You must like Marilyn Manson huh?" They had a preset model in their head of how a person is when they look/act a certain way. Whether it's true or not, they will still believe it. Plenty of people just wouldn't believe me when I would say "no, I don't like Manson at all actually. No, I'm not gay, no I don't cut myself" It was mostly done as a social experiment to see how people would react. And guess what, they reacted based on the pop culture representation of what they expected me to be.

So yeah, I can see why Let's Players, would take offense at the misrepresentation of themselves in a blanket, stupid way by a public figure with access to millions of people on a regular basis. Our celebrities paint the culture, and most of society accepts it that way. It may suck, but it's the truth. Stereotypes persist because our society perpetuates them. The only way to make them go away, is to counter them with the truth about the group being misrepresented.