Games Critics Called Bad That You Loved Anyway

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Yu-Gi-Oh!: Falsebound Kingdom. Oh, I see why people bashed it. It is a terrible game. But it is a terrible game that I love playing.

acsoundwave

Jul 18, 2010
Quite a few people bash Arc Rise Fantasia, but I loved it. It's a classic-style turn-based RPG with a solid battle mechanic. That, and I had fun with it. Even with its' lackluster ENG dub. :)

It's still a better dub than whatever the hell was done for Chaos Wars:

Seriously, WTF? It's like the actors agreed that day not to put in any performance.

I admit this is cheesy, over the top melodrama, but at least some of the actors showed up to work:

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
neonsword13-ops said:
Resonance of Fate.

Much better than any other Final Fantasy i've played.
See, I like that game, I really do, but it just... doesn't have a plot.
I'm 20 hours in. What have I learned?
Leanne and Vashyron were supposed to die one day.
There's a vampire girl.
The rocks link to a person's lifespan.
And that's it. Everything else is just mercenary work. It's fun, but there's just no motivation to do anything!
Does is get a bit more... I dunno, "plot-y" later on?

PleasantKenobi

Nov 9, 2010
The Alone in the Dark reboot. Many many issues which warratned a harsh response from critics, but so many interesting gameplay mechanics, and relatively free-form problem solving was amazing.

Metro 2033. I know not all the critics hated it, but it is severly under rated.

And Kane & Lynch:Dead Men. Dripping with atmosphere and a 'gritty' aesthetic that wasn't just gun metal greys and sandy browns. Shame the sequel was such a pile of wank.

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
I loved Bioshock 2 primarily because it allowed you to dual-weild a weapon and a plasmid, instead of waiting those few agonizing seconds to switch between the two.

Also, the little sister segment was outstanding.

Galaxy Roll

Jul 28, 2011
Every Golden Sun. The original took up so much time in my childhood. I distinctly remember taking on the final boss underleveled, without understanding the finer points of the Djinni system, and I managed to take them down after a long hard fight with the main character, out of PP, the rest of my party defeated, and the best weapon in the game's Unleash (essentially a critical hit on steroids unique to every weapon.)

Twas much fun.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Duke Nukem Forever is quite possibly one of the most entertaining games I've ever played..
Alice: Madness Returns is a work of symbolic and metaphoric genius, like peeling the curtains back and spying on the language of the universe for a while..
Buck Bumble anyone?

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Caroliyn Petit

i hate when people ***** about her. She raises very good points and is a great reviewer.

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
Duke Nukem Forever: I laughed, and I had a lot of fun. Of course it's not perfect, it has certain elements that should definitely be different, but I didn't have so much fun with an FPS in a loooong time. I've played through it 2 times so far, and am going to begin another playthrough, soon (on the hardest difficulty).

Medal of Honor - Airborne: I've played through this game 4 times now (once on the hardest difficulty). The combat is epic, and the parachuting gameplay element is really cool. Most people think of this game as mediocre.

Mirror's Edge: I'm not really sure how people feel about this game, but I see many people complaining about it. I loved it, and I've played through it 4 or so times (once on the hardest difficulty :p). I don't own it though, I just borrowed it from a friend for a bit. I really should buy it, though.

Duke Nukem Land of the Babes: Many people hate this game, but I really like it. I haven't finished it yet, and I heard the last boss is really hard, but so far I'm really enjoying it. The combat is better than Time to Kill (perhaps a bit easy, though), the music is amazing, and it has Duke Nukem in it!

Cruis'n USA/World: It's hilarious, and the driving, while completely unrealistic, isn't bad.

I love many games that critics and other gamers hate/dislike. I'm sure I haven't listed all of them!

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Alpha protocol is the best rpg since morrowind

all "game critics" or "game reviewers" are failures who couldn't get into the real industry anyway.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Aliens vs Predator 2010.

I really liked that game and even played through the multiplayer extensively (PC version).

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
Lord of the Rings: Conquest

So much dislike for it, it's average score is like 65.
Don't know why, it's awesome

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. While I wouldn't call it a "Great Game" by any means, I fail to see why so many critics called it terrible. I found it to be somewhat fun. Yeah, the story was stupid, but I don't really care about story in a racing game that involves Sonic The Hedgehog riding a hoverboard.

Darkeagle6

Nov 12, 2008
While the 3D Sonic the hedgehog games have a number of problems, and some of them (ESPECIALLY Shadow the hedgehog) deserve the terrible reception they got, I feel that Sonic Adventure 2 and (to a certain extent) Sonic Heroes are still very fun games. Okay, so the Eggman/Tails levels aren't great, and the treasure hunting is really annoying until you get used to it and get to know the levels better, but the Sonic/Shadow levels are a blast to (re)play, and I'd say they're the tightest 3D sonic gameplay out there. Sonic Heroes is problematic in that it's a lot more loose and a bit buggy(er)and the game makes you play through near-identical stages Four(!!!) times before giving you the final boss, I thought the team formula itself was a good idea (though it probably came as a necessity for developpers trying to plug the ridiculous overlarge character cast into the game) and I still have fun with it from time to time (bought it used, though, I wouldn't pay full retail price for that game).

Also, I've replayed it recently, and Pokemon Snap is surprisingly fun. Don't know how the actual critical reception for the game was, but I remember most people I knew bashing it for being a pokemon cash-in (which I guess it is, but it's still fun and well made).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
this isnt my name said:
PleasantKenobi said:
Metro 2033. I know not all the critics hated it, but it is severly under rated.
Ididnt know weither to post it but you did so. I agree fully. The game was amazing, it took 3 plathroughss for me to find explorer, there was so much I missed on my first playthrough, I didnt expect ome of the places. The best part for me is the atmosphere, I have never found such an amazing atmosphere in games. Some of my favorite parts had little or no shooting. Ghosts, Anomaly and Driving to Sparta. I loved that game.

Its sad CoD gets 10s, and that got 6s and 7s. I think its an 8 or 9. Only issue I had was stealth, and headshots not killing mutants instantly.

Wait people are saying mirrors edge was hated too ? Damn some of my favorite games (mirrors edge, metro 2033 and alpha protocal) seem to be getting lots of hate. I dont understand it. To me they arnt bad games, they have flaws, but are great games if you look past them.

I think they are better than most of the high ranked games.
Don't forget the part of the Library in Metro 2033. That part was quite scary and tense, I felt like I was helpless against a bunch of oversized gorillas (wich I think they are) while you're running low on ammunition and oxygen. I tried the part of "not looking them at the eyes" and sometimes it worked, they walked away slowly, an extremely tense situation and one of the most immersive moments ruined by bad coding, then I walked a little and he suddendly started attacking me.

Seriously underrated game, it was awesome. I finished it 2 times and yes, you miss a lot of things on your first playthrough.