Games for Non-Gamers

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So, my grandfather is bed-ridden for a month due to hurting his foot and getting surgery. He's not the kind of person to enjoy free-time, and after less than a week is clearly becoming bored out of his mind.

I had suggested gaming off-hand as a joke, but he actually was receptive to the idea. Ive tried to teach a friend to play games before. I tried Sonic 1 and 2 on 3DS, and Minecraft, neither had great results. I was practically born gaming, so I lack the ability to teach older non-gamers. Its like describing colors to a person born blind.

Long story short, looking for games I could let him play that would entertain him that he...could actually play. I will help him as best as I can, but as I said, its too natural to me so its hard for me to know what to even tell him.

Dont really worry about what system or platform or anything, really any ideas are worth a shot. Boredom sucks at any age.

I will add, I dont know how well his sight is anymore. And his hearing sucks. He isnt arthritic as far as I know, but I wouldnt recommend overly reactive games for any unaccustomed gamer.

UPDATE 1:Set up my Wii U for him, and had him give Super Mario 3 a shot. So far, so good (taking a break for food). The main thing in this is getting him used to using the gamepad and a controller in general. He started stiffly, but is getting used to it I think, since he is already acting quicker than he started. The main issue now is having him understand holding down B to run, mostly when a mushroom escapes him. I mostly find myself unsure where the line between helping him and being a backseat gamer is. Im trying to just let him figure things out, while commenting on things that seem not clearly explained in game, such as hitting blocks with turtle shells, or that something is a powerup and what it does.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Pokemon.

He doesn't like free time and wants shit to get done? Pokemon. Get a DS, get like Gold or Silver and set him loose.

And headphones.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
My own grandfather before he passed used to play dr. Mario and Tetris all the time. They are good puzzle games with good learning curves that pretty much anyone who has any ability to play video games can learn pretty well. He used to play them whenever I'll bring my old NES over to his house when I go stay with them over the weekend. Eventually we even bought him his own NES so he could play it all the time and he got so good at it that even the hardest levels were no challenge to him.

So that's my suggestion

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
Does he have any predilection for genres, cause if he likes fantasy then I think a obvious choice would be Ocarina of Time. It's a common "first game" for a good reason. It's compelling, simple without being patronizing and it's got all the quality fantasy beats that make a good story. Only issue could be it's childish vibe when he first gets into it could turn him off it.

Otherwise maybe get him into a RTS, or even simpler, some gamified board games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My standard recommendation for non-gamer games is Mario Kart.

It's fun, you can get into it immediately (no intros or cutscenes or whatnot) and the concept is immediately intuitive (everyone understands what a race is).

Bad eyesight and no reactive games rather whittles one's option down though. Reacting to what you see on a screen is kinda the core of gameplay.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Some good ideas, keep em coming. Seems likely I will be dragging up my Wii U for him.

Dunno about Pokemon though. I can give it a shot, and honestly would love it if he actually got into it, but who knows.

I think I used to play Mario Kart 64 with him with my brother as kids. I got 8 for Wii U, so I can let him try that.

mardocOz

The Doc is in...
Oct 22, 2014
The Wii U isn't a bad idea because not only do Nintendo tend to be casual-friendly, which would be useful for introducing someone new to gaming, but the option to play using a TV or the screen on the controller gives flexibility for someone who is confined to bed and may find it difficult to get comfortable.

There's also the Virtual Console... Advance Wars is a thinker and a time-killer. Otherwise, there's always Mario. Good old Mario.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Does he like fiction? If so, he may want to try story-oriented games such point & click adventures. Does he have any favorite genres? Sciencefiction? Murder mysteries?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I would choose a classic platformer, like Super Mario World. Sonic might not be the best for a new starter, getting you to run around fast all the time.

Or maybe a puzzler like Pushmo/ Pullblox. Simple to understand, but insanely fun.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I got a couple Mario games on virtual console. 3, World, and one of the generic but newer ones.

NPC009 said:
Does he like fiction? If so, he may want to try story-oriented games such point & click adventures. Does he have any favorite genres? Sciencefiction? Murder mysteries?
Too bad LA Noir isnt just solving crimes, hed probably enjoy that. He likes alot of cop dramas. As for books, he seems to really like James Patterson. I dont know anything about them though.

He also likes original series Star Trek.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I will be bland here and I will say to play or rather "read" a Visual Novel.
Not the +18 VN mind you. The normal ones of course.
However I must ask; Did he Know what Anime is in general?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dark Souls and Silent Hill 2. Maybe some Shin Megami Tensai Apocalypse.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
SweetShark said:
There's always Phoenix Wright.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Wings012 said:
SweetShark said:
Or Hotel Dusk if he doesn't want Anime Style characters in his mystery games.
However I never played Hiotel Dusk, so I don't know how hard is to play...

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Okay, so, adventure games... studios like Daedalic Entertainment and Wadjet Eye Games make good, affordable point & click adventures that are easily playable on older systems, including but not limited to 'that PC they bought back in 2007 and still use' and 'shitty laptop gifted by son/daughter that does not understand computers'.

He might like something like A New Beginning or The Blackwell Legacy.

Wings012 said:
SweetShark said:
Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (PS4, Vita, and sometime in the future: PC) is pretty good too, and it's playable without watching the anime first. He might not like the character designs, though.

As for other adventure games and visual novels on consoles/handhelds: 999 on DS (or, if you want just the visual novel part: on iOS (or was it Android?), Hotel Dusk (DS), Trace Memory (DS), Sam and Max Season One (Wii, Xbox 360), Professor Layton series, Steins;Gate (Vita, PS3).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Try puzzle games. Simple ones like Picross. Or puzzle-platformers like Braid or Inside.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Try different things to see what he likes. I know some people who pretty much only play simulators (actual simulators, not joke games) or strategy games or something. Try to figure out what he likes. Maybe try things that already are in within his interests. What sort of books does he read, or hobbies or jobs does he have?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I really cannot imagine him being into -anything- anime.

I intend on trying things I already have first, but I suppose if all else fails, I could buy him some visual-novel type stuff, depending on the style. If any were anime style, it would have to be more subdued ones.

Pseudonym said:
Try different things to see what he likes. I know some people who pretty much only play simulators (actual simulators, not joke games) or strategy games or something. Try to figure out what he likes. Maybe try things that already are in within his interests. What sort of books does he read, or hobbies or jobs does he have?
He is a business travel agent. Thinking about it, he likes sports, maybe I could get him a football game. I checked, and Madden NFL 13 is on Wii U. I cant believe I may end up buying a football game ever, even if its for someone else.

Hobbies is lacking, hence why I am trying to find ways to keep him entertained. He does read alot apparently, but I dont think he wants to just read for 4 *weeks (4 months would be hell)

He does occasionally like building Lego models, mostly the put together and display kind. I can see the suggestions this might lead to, but I think hed prefer building with a purpose. I dont know how much hed care for say, Minecraft. (Though again, I suppose I could get it for Wii U to try it).

As I said, he seems to read alot of James Patterson, but I couldnt tell you what kind of author he is.