Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form (in the USA)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
the antithesis said:
Know what I think. I think whomsoever is left at Atomic Games should apply for this grant and use it to release Six Days In Fallujah.
You know what? That's a pretty good idea. I don't know how far along the development actually was so I don't know what the money from the grant would do for what was looking to be a near AAA level title, but if it was basically finished other than production and distribution that could be all they needed.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
the antithesis said:
Know what I think. I think whomsoever is left at Atomic Games should apply for this grant and use it to release Six Days In Fallujah.
You know what? That's a pretty good idea. I don't know how far along the development actually was so I don't know what the money from the grant would do for what was looking to be a near AAA level title, but if it was basically finished other than production and distribution that could be all they needed.
They could add like cutscenes showing the emotional and social turmoil of the situation.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
StriderShinryu said:
I don't know how far along the development actually was so I don't know what the money from the grant would do for what was looking to be a near AAA level title, but if it was basically finished other than production and distribution that could be all they needed.
If Wikipedia is to be believed, the game was finished. They just couldn't find a publisher with any sack after Konami pulled out. From what I understand, Atomic Games is no more, but someone must have the rights and the code. If they use the grant to publish, it could be a real triumph, I think.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Achievement Obtained:
Support Gaming Until it Becomes Art!
Earned on 08/05/2011

p.p: Im not sure how this will affect the industry but still its a cool thing to know. Now killing dragons and reading poetry will be in the same box :D

ari1819

Nov 8, 2010
Video games were already just as protected as other forms of speech. Being "art" has nothing to do with First Amendment protection except that artistic value is one criterion used to judge indecency. Unfortunately, NEA support is not actually a legally binding definition of "art" anyway, it is just part of receiving funding from the NEA. Courts do not use NEA guidelines in their considerations, and lawmakers do not go "oh, one of the federal administrative agencies accepts games, guess that changes things." While its great that games will get the same federal funding as other art forms, this is legally really irrelevant and you're WAY overstating its importance.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
binvjoh said:
Can I get a hell yes?

Dango said:
I still don't really get why everyone thinks games have to be art.
I don't think it's as much about being considered art as it's about getting some sort of recognition of the value as a serious part of society.
very true.
too many people think videogames are just for children.
just like too many people believe all forms of animations are SUPPOSED to be for kids (hence why "concerned parents" are always losing their shit over the latest "South Park")

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Booze Zombie said:
dragongit said:
Grand Theft Auto?
No, a game showing the depressing boredom and fear of criminality, not just treating it as another theme for a TPS in a sandbox.
I don't get why people are so into depression as though it's the ONLY emotion with deepness or the ONLY emotion that can teach us anything. What's so bad about happiness again? Well, anyways, you can go ahead and make that game, but don't be surprised if the "Depressing boredom" blurb doesn't attract many people.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Racecarlock said:
I don't get why people are so into depression as though it's the ONLY emotion with deepness or the ONLY emotion that can teach us anything. What's so bad about happiness again? Well, anyways, you can go ahead and make that game, but don't be surprised if the "Depressing boredom" blurb doesn't attract many people.
The point of the game would be to portray a realistic criminal life, crushing boredom and repetition included. The purpose of a game can be whatever it's creator desires, like with any other piece of art.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Booze Zombie said:
Racecarlock said:
The point of the game would be to portray a realistic criminal life, crushing boredom and repetition included. The purpose of a game can be whatever it's creator desires, like with any other piece of art.
That's true, but how many people are going to keep playing a game like that? Even GTA IV had some over the top moments, and it still got mixed reviews. Who would be satisfied with depression? Well, you know, other than those goth kids from south park.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Racecarlock said:
That's true, but how many people are going to keep playing a game like that? Even GTA IV had some over the top moments, and it still got mixed reviews. Who would be satisfied with depression? Well, you know, other than those goth kids from south park.
I made the suggestion more as a sort of "counter-point" to the idea that games glamorise criminal life.

"Ugh, another cocaine shipment... time to sit in a van for half an hour and look out for anyone wearing blue."

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Booze Zombie said:
Racecarlock said:
I made the suggestion more as a sort of "counter-point" to the idea that games glamorise criminal life.

"Ugh, another cocaine shipment... time to sit in a van for half an hour and look out for anyone wearing blue."
Games glamorize every kind of life. Do you think a real amusement park manager gets to ride the rides all day? Do you think a real race car driver can slam head on into a wall at 200 mph and just reset himself at the start? No. That's the beauty of gaming. We don't have to worry about reality. At least, we didn't have to.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
.. I don't understand? Why did it need to be verified? Do people really care? ... Apparently so.. I still don't understand why people need verification from others to make them selves feel 'special'? or 'important'?