Games on Google+ Means One More Chance to Save Ferelden

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Games on Google+ Means One More Chance to Save Ferelden

Google is adding games to its Google Plus social network.

To the bane of darkspawn everywhere, Google has announced that Google+ will be slowly releasing a small stable of popular games, such as Dragon Age Legends, onto your stream (read: wall) beginning August 11th. So far, sixteen titles have been announced including, PopCap mainstay Bejeweled Blitz, the now truly unavoidable Angry Birds, aforementioned Dragon Age Legends, and the ever-enduring Sudoku.

Since its mid-June launch, the not-quite-yet-ubiquitous social networking contender Google+ has impressed many of its early adopters with its easy to use "circles" system, a drag-and-drop buddy list that lets people easily choose with whom they'd like to share (and sometimes even more importantly, with whom they wouldn't). Now, you'll be able to use that same system to "see the latest game updates from your circles, browse the invites you've received and check out games that people you know have played recently." In case reading that quote makes you worry about getting hammered by a flood of updates every time a lost black sheep wanders into your Aunt Mildred's carrot garden, Google assures us that if we're not interested in Google+ games, it will be easy to ignore them. Let's hope we can believe them.

Like everything Google seems to do nowadays, the service starts with a limited selection of games appearing only for a minority of users, but according to the official Google Blog, "will become fully available to everyone on Google+ soon."

I doubt I'll be first in line to have my Google+ account automatically post about my latest high score in Collapse! Blast to my drinking buddies (mainly because I doubt I'll be playing Collapse! Blast to begin with), but with Dragon Age Legends making the first cut, perhaps there's at least a small glimmer of hope for us "actual gamers" to find something we'd like down the line.

Source: Google Blog [http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/games-in-google-fun-that-fits-your.html]

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Fawxy said:
lobster1077 said:
Well, Dragon Age certainly beats farmville.
What about a Dragon Age Farmville game? Where you have to, like, defend your carrots from Darkspawn. YEAH.
Shit! I need to harvest my strawberries before the taint corrupts them!

Games on Google+ doesn't surprise me too much. They seem to be integrating everything Facebook has except they do it in about 1/10th the time it took Facebook to initially.

woegjiub

Feb 16, 2010
You entirely forgot to mention that google+ games will have its own tab; a fifth button, alongside home, profile, circles and images.
Kinda like a games-stream, the updates will ONLY be there, so only those who are interested will EVER see them.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
NinjaCatStudios said:
Thats it.
If facebook does one more thing that I don't like, I'mm leaving it
Well when you're ready,I'll send you an invite to Google+.

OT:I'm pissed,they didn't send me an invite to play games,ah well I'll get the chance soon enough.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Keep the useless crap out of there google! That's why it so great now. I don't get random feeds talking about what games people are playing. I don't give two shits.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Nothing has changed enough for me to consider switching. Everyone is on facebook, none of my friends will leave because there isn't really anything wrong with it and we all would have to jump ship at the same time. We don't have personal information on there so all of the "they might sell off our information" scares don't bother us and the features list of improvements are... lacking, to say the least.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
"Actual gamers"? What?!

On topic: Hmm, I don't really care. I may move to Google+ if enough of my friends do, but I still don't think I'll be playing games on my social networking site. Wherever that may be.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
What? No Dragon Age on LinkedIn? They could make games like...Better Know an Armorsmith, featuring Wade [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtV1_9OUoyk]!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'd like to point out that there IS a Dragon Age facebook game....which is the one in this article

and my god it takes forever to get anywhere in that thing, plus stat/skill builds are pretty much one path since all of the others lead to crippling incompetence.

And of course your castle, which does run on Farmville-style rules of waiting.

Overall, it's designed to get you so mad that you will plonk down money to finish it.

jprf

May 18, 2011
I'm reasonably sure you can't say 'to the bane of.'
Sorry, grammar nazism hard to keep down.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
As a DA fanboy I can't help but jump in and nerd out by saying that Fereldan is a country in the DA series (The entire first game is held in the country though), the world in which the series is held is called Thedas. The series has been hosted in a fair few different countries so far, for example in the second game you're in the Free Marches (A country that is made up of multiple indipendant city states, so theoretically a person could argue that each city state is a country in its own right that simply has very close relations to other nearby cities) and in this DA: Legends you're in some country called "Kaiten".

Couple of fun facts I decided to throw in, this is well known for the fact that if a player wants to unlock 5 specific promotional items in DA2 then they will have to play this game (it's blatantly stated in the games unlockables section, basically it's ingame advertising saying: Play our fucking facebook game!), though the items are admittedly really shitty.

Another fun fact: This game was not made by the bioware team, in fact it has nothing to do with bioware, it was/is made by the EA2D team, an entirely different group under the EA umbrella.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Fawxy said:
lobster1077 said:
Well, Dragon Age certainly beats farmville.
What about a Dragon Age Farmville game? Where you have to, like, defend your carrots from Darkspawn. YEAH.
Shit! I need to harvest my strawberries before the taint corrupts them!
Ok, that really made me chuckle this morning. :D

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
I actually though that the apps would had come out earlier than games, but it's still something that was coming.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
bioware gave the rights to allow something like this to happen?

or is this Bioware's doing all together? either way it feels a tad like a betrayal.

Bioware is a respected company for it's storytelling and (not still not really perfect I'll admit) gameplay, but a flash-game cop-out like this?

seems really beneath them (assuming that this is their doing)

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Well it was bound to happen eventually, at least they've done the decent thing and allowed us to screen it easily because we don't give a toss

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Okysho said:
bioware gave the rights to allow something like this to happen?

or is this Bioware's doing all together? either way it feels a tad like a betrayal.

Bioware is a respected company for it's storytelling and (not still not really perfect I'll admit) gameplay, but a flash-game cop-out like this?

seems really beneath them (assuming that this is their doing)
Yes, Bioware gave the rights to allow this to happen, however saying that they "gave" the rights is a real overstatement; Bioware is kinda just EA's ***** when it comes to this sort of thing.