Games or game sections that require more luck than skill.

Virtual_Dom

Jul 3, 2009
What the title says. What are some games (or sections of a game) that felt more like you got through them (assuming you did) because of being lucky in some way.

For me: angry birds at times felt like I had to pray to a god I didn't believe in to get the damn physics engine to go in my favour.

Resistance: I had an encounter with a walking robot spider that just randomly turned its back on me or fired missiles with a very unpredictable blast radius.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
X-Com and Terror From the Deep. You can have a perfect strategy, all the best equipment, and an elite team and still get ripped to shreds if a few dice rolls don't go your way. Also, Chrysalids. Freaking Chrysalids.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for the Sega Genesis. The last level is pure luck. You're only hope is if he kills himself in the first ten seconds. xD

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Roulette. The gameplay mechanics are totally broken. I felt like nothing I did had any impact on the outcome.

Seriously, though, there were parts of DA:O that felt a hell of a lot like this, unless you were a mage in which case, screw it, you're invincible.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Classic era Battletoads jet bikes or tmnt dam level

Modern? honestly I dont know.. Any multiplayer online shooter?

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
Game section? Not as such, but I can think of a game portion that requires--indeed, is utterly governed by--luck rather than skill:

The loot system of any MMO ever.

And anyone who's ever ground a raid for days only to get beaten out on Need/Greed by 1 damn point can back me up on this one. (I'm not bitter, not at all...)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Minesweeper on the hardest difficulty.

You will have to make pure guesses between two or more blocks every so often.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
I would argue that most fighting games revolove around more luck than skill. I have friends who spend hours upon hours memorizing and mastering all the combos and special moves for a character only for me to button mash my way to victory.

A little piece of them dies everytime...

Oct 2, 2010
Xzi said:
SomethingAmazing said:
I am surprised no one mentioned any Call of Duty titles yet.
Or Halo. Or any console-centered shooter really.
Halo's 2 and onward, I can understand the argument for. Halo 2's campaign on legendary in particular is a luck fest, though I suppose it's such a horrible luck fest that it's more like a memorization fest, and even then the game tries to screw you at every possible opportunity. There's a reason that Cody Miller's single-segment no-deaths Halo 2 run [http://highspeedhalo.net/?p=2454] is so highly respected.

Halo CE defies the froodlenutzskying out of the commonly-held belief that console shooters have low and ill-defined skill gaps, though; its skill gap is enormous and rather consistant.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
I am surprised no one mentioned any Call of Duty titles yet.
Here, I'll mention it, but not in the way you think:

In the third map pack for World At War, there's a trophy that says you need to get the Wonder Weapons. The DG-12 lightening gun, the Ray gun, and the Monkey bomb. You must have all three at the same time. The only way to get these three weapons is the Mystery Box. Anyone familiar with Nazi Zombies knows the horror that is the Mystery Box. Luck. There is no skill involved in this trophy, and I was cursing Treyarch for including this trophy. Grr...

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Tupolev said:
Halo CE defies the froodlenutzskying out of the commonly-held belief that console shooters have low and ill-defined skill gaps, though; its skill gap is enormous and rather consistant.
At least someone understands :D

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Anything that includes random drops or randomly generated stuff, obviously. So pretty much all MMOs, most RPGs, Minecraft, TF2, etc.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Pazaak in the KOTOR series. Seriously CPU player, three 20's from your base deck, in a row?