Games or game sections that require more luck than skill.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Cogwheel said:
Also, roguelikes. An entire vicious subgenre of RPGs where everything depends on the RNG, more or less. And if you die, your save file is erased.

Someone please remind me why I enjoy playing them?
This is also another good shout. I've lost count of the number of characters that have died in sudden, meaningless, and downright random deaths whilst playing games like ADOM. I can't speak for Cogwheel, but I suppose I enjoy Roguelikes because the RNG (the very thing that makes playing these games such a trial) is the very thing that ensures each game is different, varied and new every time you play.
You've played ADOM? I'm so sorry.

And yes, you're probably right, it's that and the sheer depth. Then you get problems specific to ADOM (hello there, Filk/Courage quest/bunch of other stuff) that... well, it's not even luck as much as developer sadism. Not quite sure what to call it. Still, I've finished the game and now I never need to touch it again.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Pokemon Games in general; you just get to a high level, use the most powerful attacks and pray you can one hit KO cause the other Gym leaders or the Final Four will pull out that Full Restore BullS***, over and over.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
migo said:
NeutralDrow said:
Minesweeper on the hardest difficulty.

You will have to make pure guesses between two or more blocks every so often.
At which point you click in an empty space because if you're guessing between 2 it's a 50% chance of a bomb while a random click has a significantly lower chance.
Not necessarily. Occasionally, that's true (assuming the bombs/squares ratio allows it), but I'm talking the overwhelming likelihood of actually being backed into a corner. Even if one click on a random square only has <url=http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2921/minesweep.jpg>a 25% chance of being a mine, it's still a leap of faith that is quite likely to entail several more leaps of faith (unless you're supremely lucky and it illuminates another giant block...<url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6507/resultz.jpg>which I wasn't), where taking the 50% chance has the better possibility of setting you back on the systematic track.

Either way, it's still luck-based.

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
The part in Pokemon Ranger where you have to guide the guy to the machine parts and not hit any bug Pokemon is mostly luck.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
migo said:
NeutralDrow said:
Minesweeper on the hardest difficulty.

You will have to make pure guesses between two or more blocks every so often.
At which point you click in an empty space because if you're guessing between 2 it's a 50% chance of a bomb while a random click has a significantly lower chance.
Not necessarily. Occasionally, that's true (assuming the bombs/squares ratio allows it), but I'm talking the overwhelming likelihood of actually being backed into a corner. Even if one click on a random square only has <url=http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2921/minesweep.jpg>a 25% chance of being a mine, it's still a leap of faith that is quite likely to entail several more leaps of faith (unless you're supremely lucky and it illuminates another giant block...<url=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6507/resultz.jpg>which I wasn't), where taking the 50% chance has the better possibility of setting you back on the systematic track.

Either way, it's still luck-based.
Yeah, I do hate it when I have 2 squares left and they're all surrounded by bombs. My finish percentage is around 3%, might be a bit higher if I always took time but I'm trying to beat my record of 97 seconds.

Mar 30, 2010
Cogwheel said:

And yes, you're probably right, it's that and the sheer depth. Then you get problems specific to ADOM (hello there, Filk/Courage quest/bunch of other stuff) that... well, it's not even luck as much as developer sadism. Not quite sure what to call it. Still, I've finished the game and now I never need to touch it again.
I wouldn't apologise, I have yet to get terminally frustrated with it. The only part of that game that really pisses me off (and that I've run into - I've not completed it yet) is the Tower, but I suppose that's a frustration that every ADOM player shares.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
the bit on fallout NV where your helping the BOS scientist guy fix the virus problem in the terminals, you just had to run to as many as you can and hope it had the option to get rid of it, all this in a 1 minute time limit

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
The fruit machine game on Bishi Bashi (how's that for old school?). It says that it is skill, but if that is the case, then why do button mashers always beat me at that particular event?!

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Cogwheel said:

I wouldn't apologise, I have yet to get terminally frustrated with it. The only part of that game that really pisses me off (and that I've run into - I've not completed it yet) is the Tower, but I suppose that's a frustration that every ADOM player shares.
Oh yes. The tower.

We don't talk about the tower.

That said, the character I beat the game with? Drakeling. I'm sure you can imagine how fun that was.

Mar 30, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Oh yes. The tower.

That said, the character I beat the game with? Drakeling. I'm sure you can imagine how fun that was.

Ouch. That must have taken some doing. Either that or a healthy dose of the whole 'luck' factor this thread is based on, but I'm most definitely going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Cogwheel said:
Oh yes. The tower.

Ouch. That must have taken some doing. Either that or a healthy dose of the whole 'luck' factor this thread is based on, but I'm most definitely going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Hey, it wasn't all skill.

I'm fairly sure some fury and despair was also involved.

ChipSandwich

Jan 3, 2010
Any high level Halo multiplayer past CE. So, who spawned closest to the Rokkit Lawn Chair/Energeh Sowrd? Did you manage to pick it up and escape from the inevitable clusterfuck of grenades? What's that player? Run into an invisible shotty user? Well fuck you, that's why. Hardcore Halo fans will no doubt hate me for saying this, which is good because Hardcore Halo fans aren't the best of people, but - thank the maker for ARMOR LOCK and other abilities. Hi rocket man. Oh sorry, forgot to tell you, I'm invincible, lol.

Of course, this didn't matter in Halo CE, because the Rokkit Lawn Chair was OP, but so was the ridiculous default sniper pistol.