Games that Aged INCREDIBLY well

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
veloper said:
Gameplay and game controls haven't evolved since dual stick controllers became the norm. Any game that was good from the PS2 and onward should still be considered good now, if you can get over a game not having the prettiest visuals
Oh yes they have. It's been a subtle change, but one you instantly notice once you go back and play some of those games. The first God of War and Ratchet and Clank, and the entire Jak and Daxter series suffer from an awkward stiffness to the controls. Don't even get me talking about the PS2 era GTA games.
But is it just us, or is it those games were always lacking a bit in that regard though? Because looking back, my memories of when I first played GTA on the PS2 was that I disliked the controls even then.
What I liked about GTA 3 and vice city was the scope and the setting and the driving was tolerable, but running and shooting always felt incredibly clunky and subpar.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Maximum Bert said:
I dont think any of the old Mario games 1,2,3 have aged at all they still look and play amazing.
I think most people would agree that at least 95% of all Mario games age tremendously well and any of them could easily be picked up again ten years from now and be just as fun as the day they were released.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
veloper said:
But is it just us, or is it those games were always lacking a bit in that regard though? Because looking back, my memories of when I first played GTA on the PS2 was that I disliked the controls even then.
What I liked about GTA 3 and vice city was the scope and the setting and the driving was tolerable, but running and shooting always felt incredibly clunky and subpar.
The early 3D GTA games always had shitty controls, but that's probably due to technological constraints. I don't think there were many if any open-world games on consoles back then that didn't control like a garbage truck. There was so much for you to interact with and there was only so much storage space on a DVD. And remember, usually half of that is reserved for the sound files. With the increase of storage space they could increase the level of detailed player input.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
A Link to the Past and Super Metroid really stood the test of time I think. Street Fighter 2 as well has a timeless charm to it. Another favorite game of the era Super Castlevania 4 still looks nice but the mode 7 effects are really a product of it's time. Demon's Crest and Super Contra(despite some iffy mode 7 effects) also still look really nice. But then again so does Super Mario World, Actraiser, Super Aleste, Axelay..or pretty much any of my favorite Super Nintendo games. :p Strangely I think even Starfox aged better than most PS1 titles. The graphics are rudimentary 3D but the entire game is optimized to it's fullest extent so it still plays really well.

Maybe it has to do with my own age but I think everything from PS1 onwards is much more forgettable. Mostly I think b/c 3D graphics continue to improve so there is not really this moment of transition you had with the leap from 2D sprites to 3D polygons. Espescially PS1 every game from that era looks like shit now. :p My most favorite modern games Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 I will probably still remember however many years from now for their distinct visual design. They simply look sooooo pretty.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
As long as you don't have an unnatural aversion to sprite-based games I find most SNES era games have aged quite well, at least in terms of visuals. Most games with a stylized art style tend to age better then games that go for a hyper-realistic look.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Silentpony said:
josemlopes said:
Rare Replay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Replay

Comes with a shit load of old great games.
I know, I have it, the problem is that the OG Xbox version isnt there. There were rumours that it could come as DLC but I dont think it ever did, and searching online doesnt show anything.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I don't know if any game less than 10 years old should even be mentioned when discussing this topic. Hell, they're only last generation, which already was basically just more of what we had in the PS2 era, only more refined. Well, I'm gonna go by the 10 years rule:

- the first Bioshock, obviously. The art direction still blows most games out of the water, and the gameplay... well any FPS released since basically Half-Life 2 still holds up in gameplay terms, so why even bother?
- Crysis 1. Not that many FPS's have used similar level design, which is basically a 10 mile wide tunnel: ultimately linear, but open enough that you almost won't notice.
- Most strategy games of the last 15-20 years. Let's be honest: the genre is so isolated from any other gameplay conventions that it's basically impossible to innovate at this point. Stronghold Crusader, despite some gameplay imbalances, is still just as enjoyable as when I was a 12 year old. A genre in which you observe most of your troops from about 200 meters up in the air isn't going to feel much different no matter how much detail or additional animations you add
- Tekken 3. Only recently did I realize how incredibly detailed and realistic the animations in that game are.

I wonder if there's even much point in trying to think of individual games. Once you step outside 3rd and 1st person action games, you realize that the vast majority of game genres haven't nearly changed at all this century. Racing games, puzzle games, platformers, strategy games, fighting games and more have essentially been perfected in what they're trying to achieve. If a game from those genres was good when it came out, chances are it's still good.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
bartholen said:
- Most strategy games of the last 15-20 years. Let's be honest: the genre is so isolated from any other gameplay conventions that it's basically impossible to innovate at this point. Stronghold Crusader, despite some gameplay imbalances, is still just as enjoyable as when I was a 12 year old. A genre in which you observe most of your troops from about 200 meters up in the air isn't going to feel much different no matter how much detail or additional animations you add
Oh since you mentioned it, Age of Empires 2 & 3 still hold up really well. AoE2, if one can deal with the low resolution, holds up visually as well without the HD re-release. Good 2D artwork in that game.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Extra-Ordinary said:
But to say what my first thought was when I read the title:

BuildsLegos said:
Metroid Prime Trilogy
And here I thought I was gonna be first.

I haven't played them in a while so it's hard to think about what truly nails down the aesthetics for the game. It doesn't shoot for photo-realism nor does it go for a stylization in it's graphics, I think it might be stylization in the design of things but I can't quite nail it down.
I thought this as well, Prime 1 especially. This game came out in 2002 and honestly even on the GC it still looks and feels great. I agree completely that there's something about its balance of stylization and realism that keeps it from looking too dated. It seems like the visual team really understood the limits they were working within and didn't try to push things too far. Granted some of the fire/glow effects on enemies haven't aged as nicely, but the rest of the 99%+ of the visuals still look fantastic. Prime 2 moved slightly more towards the stylization and that didn't hurt it at all for a game only two years younger than its predecessor. Prime 3 didn't have quite the same mechanical feel, but again that balance of visual style keeps it looking pretty darn good today.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night. Its not even my favourite Castlevania game and it is still by far the prettiest in the series and probably the prettiest game from that whole era of gaming. Garou: Mark of The Wolves would be another choice.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I see ageing as more than just graphics. Game needs to be playable. And I think these games qualify:
- GTA Vice City. It still plays pretty great. Controls are simple but effective. And graphics have aged pretty well due to the art design of the game. - - Max Payne 2. I remember when that game was one of the most graphically intensive games. Not much to say about gameplay. It's a pretty simple third person shooter with the added bonus of being able to dual wield smaller weapons and the game has that amazing bullet time mechanic.
- Splinter Cell 1 and Chaos Theory still look and play pretty good due to attention to details.
- Hitman 2, Contracts and Blood Money all look fine and have solid gameplay mechanics that put to shame even some modern stealth games.
- Resident Evil 4. This one is obvious for so many reasons.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Pretty surprised nobody's mentioned this one already but the original Rayman (as in the one from back in PS1 days) has aged phenomenally well. The graphics, while not as sharp as the newer Rayman games, are still utterly gorgeous, the soundscape/ music of the game is so on point, and the gameplay is some of the best of any platformer ever imo. Starts out simple enough but adds new mechanics and gets sufficiently more challenging the further in you get (arguably too difficult for the young audience it was aimed at but then it's not like kids under 10 are great at playing games all the way through).

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
- Resident Evil 4. This one is obvious for so many reasons.
I was actually going to say this initially but having started another playthrough recently I'm not sure I could say it has aged well. I say that as someone who ranks this as my favourite game of all time but, unlike a lot of other games mentioned here, I can't say it feels as exciting playing it now as it did years ago. There's no end of things it did well and areas in which it innovated but much like the first 3 Resi games I think we're approaching a point where newer gamers simply wouldn't find enough to like in it to overcome the awkwardness that comes with being a 3d game that's so old.

That said it's possible I've just played it too much over the years and I've just seen everything it has to offer at this point.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Final Fantasy VI and X. Both have rather nice gameplay, story and cast of characters and both still look gorgeous.

IMO, Planescape: Torment and first two Fallouts. While they are not impressive in their looks from technical point of view, they are still aestetically pleasing, they play well and, once again, great story and characters.

First God of War and God Hand still hold up as action games.

Also, I think even in 2030's people will still like Personas 3 and 4. And waifu wars will continue.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The original X-Com. Because it was never about graphics (though those provided were decent enough to keep the player aware of everything that was going on), but the tension of opening a door and possibly being greeted by a hail of plasma fire, or having your heavy-weapons person dominated by a psychic, or the excitement of successfully deploying a blaster bomb for the first time.