Games that Aged INCREDIBLY well

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Only gonna count games 2 console generations back and older. It also needs to work at least halfway decently on modern systems (consoles not included in that requirement for obvious reasons), needs to have good controls, and probably most important of all, needs to have delivered an experience that still has not been done better yet by another game or its sequel(s).

Now, behold my list, ye mighty, and despair.

Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition
Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition
Neverwinter Nights Diamond
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast CAMPAIGN
Star Wars Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy MULTIPLAYER
Star Wars Battlefront II
Guild Wars The Complete Collection
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Painkiller: Black Edition
Aliens vs. Predator 2
Freelancer
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Riven
Ultimate Doom/Doom II
Blood
___
Burnout 3: Takedown
Halo: Combat Evolved
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Ninja Gaiden Black
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Soulcalibur II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
___
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 4
___
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Super Smash Bros. 64
Gauntlet Legends

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I joined late so most of what I'd say has been ninja'd so it's basically a quote-athon here. Here's a couple games that I don't believe have mentions:

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
The game still looks and plays great. Even the combat has stayed pretty solid while not really being the game's focus due to it not requiring lock-on like my games around that time.

-Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
The 1st game of the series was easily the best of the original 3 at least (I haven't played the 4th one). The game uses classic platformer mechanics like 1 hit kills you and there's a lives system even, but it somehow works still. There's even some clever stealth mechanics like you can speed up the guards' patrols so you don't have to wait for a guard to come all the back around. Every level is unique and extremely varied while being a joy to play. The sequels went all open world and lost a lot of the charm and originality of the first game.

-The Team ICO games: ICO and Shadow of the Colossus
I can't believe I almost forgot these gems. I've never had a problem with the games' controls even though I know some don't like how they control. I've never had moments where I died or couldn't do what I wanted because of the controls. ICO is just running around and hitting stuff with a stick so there's not much there to begin with. But with SotC, I never had issues with the camera or anything even playing it semi-recently on PS3. These games are still gorgeous looking and the remasters (not remakes mind you) look damn good. I'll gladly add The Last Guardian to the list in about 10 years or so.

-Mercenaries: Playground of DESTRUCTION!!!
I still think this is my top open world/sandbox game of all-time because of how open-ended the missions are. The controls are alright at best as no open world shooter (GTA for example) was very good at that time. When a horror game, Resident Evil 4, probably has the best 3rd-person shooting controls from the PS2 generation, no pure 3rd-person shooters from that era have aged well.

-Midnight Club 2
This may still be my favorite arcade racer ever. The level design (especially Paris) is still so ridiculously good.

---

BuildsLegos said:
Resident Evil 4
Obviously.

Maximum Bert said:
I dont think any of the old Mario games 1,2,3 have aged at all they still look and play amazing.
No shit Sherlock ;)

Stewie Plisken said:
I find Deus Ex still extremely absorbing and enjoyable.
It's still the best of the series and got so much right that the new ones got wrong.

josemlopes said:
Mirrors Edge 1 is a bit older and damn, that shit looks wack, have a nice read on its lighting
I'd say Mirror's Edge has aged well because that gameplay is really good and there's nothing else like it (besides for Catalyst obviously). Even Catalyst doesn't look very good either.

Extra-Ordinary said:
Serious, serious props to the artists that did the backdrops for Bulletstorm. It's been ages since I've played it and maybe the wow factor would be worn away if I went back (I don't think so though) but with the Full Clip Edition coming out in a little while, I've been thinking about it lately and I think that was one of the first games to really make me appreciate a horizon in a game, gorgeous stuff sometimes.
And I like to think of that as a relatively high praise for a game that was pretty mindless bro-dude shooting most of the time, they didn't cut corners when it came to building the world, at least from a visual standpoint.
BulletStorm is awesome and just sheer fun to play, and it will always be. It's graphical style isn't hyper-realistic so the graphics won't age.

Bitter Hobbit said:
I think Metal Gear Solid 1 has aged quite well. The keycards needing to be equipped items is annoying but aside from that it still plays very very well, a good fast paced arcade stealth game.
MGS1 is still great because it didn't try to play like a typical shooter like say Syphon Filter, those controls aged horribly (and the writing and voice acting is even more horrid). The graphics have obviously aged, but you can remake the game with updated graphics and keep the gameplay exactly as is and it would still play great.

Casual Shinji said:
The first God of War and Ratchet and Clank, and the entire Jak and Daxter series suffer from an awkward stiffness to the controls. Don't even get me talking about the PS2 era GTA games.
I don't recall any awkwardness or stiffness in the 1st God of War's controls. They all control the same because of the fixed camera. I still find the 1st God of War the only good game in the series. Now, Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter, I have no clue. GTA3 was the worst because you could only shoot by locking-on to someone but the lock-on would lock-on to the closest person I think so you'd end up killing civilians instead of enemies so often. Vice City fixed the lock-on priority issues of GTA3.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Actually came into the thread to nominate the very first Uncharted. I'm watching my girlfriend play it right now and while it hasn't aged impeccably - water/foliage textures are always a dead giveaway in these games - the perfectionism in the animation department remains outstanding. Game is full of little details here and there that were way ahead of its time, and many of the games of today would only do well in learning them.

Uncharted 2 on the other hand I think has aged about as well as the third game.
Uncharted 1 wasn't that good when it came out because I bought it Day 1 and was disappointed. You can't even throw grenades well in that game because they made you use the six-axis shit to do that. Maybe the remaster fixed that shit though. Overall the level design was really weak with very flat shooting levels and lots of chest-high cover making the game play too whack-a-mole like. Then, you have the waves of enemies issue and their sponginess. Those "set-pieces" were lame jet-ski sequences that were lame then and even more lame after Uncharted 2 "aged" them even more. The 1st game has by far the worst shooting of the series and Uncharted has never been a great shooter. The best thing Uncharted 1 did was the "twist". Uncharted 1 came off very much as a tech demo for me even when released, the game looks great (graphics and animations) but the gameplay isn't much above the very first cover shooter, Winback. Uncharted 2 is still, by far, the best of the series and has aged really well. I've played the entire series and the 2nd game is the only one I still own.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Casual Shinji said:
The first God of War and Ratchet and Clank, and the entire Jak and Daxter series suffer from an awkward stiffness to the controls. Don't even get me talking about the PS2 era GTA games.
I don't recall any awkwardness or stiffness in the 1st God of War's controls. They all control the same because of the fixed camera. I still find the 1st God of War the only good game in the series.
Things moved funkier. Kratos' turn speed was slower, his climbing was awkward, and a lot of the camera angles weren't that optimal. I still like the first one best, but the sequels ironed out all the mechanical kinks.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Casual Shinji said:
I don't recall any awkwardness or stiffness in the 1st God of War's controls. They all control the same because of the fixed camera. I still find the 1st God of War the only good game in the series.
Things moved funkier. Kratos' turn speed was slower, his climbing was awkward, and a lot of the camera angles weren't that optimal. I still like the first one best, but the sequels ironed out all the mechanical kinks.
I recall the platforming and climbing (to a lesser extent) being issues. I don't recall the sequels really fixing the platforming much, maybe there was just less platforming in them. I still remember the Hades level with those turning spikes and walking across some 2x4 rafters or something like that. I found the combat in the 1st game the most fun just due to L1+X juggle move; yeah, it made the combat easier than the sequels but the series is no DMC or Bayonetta so fun is of the utmost importance over mechanics and challenge in a GoW game IMO.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I think Timesplitters: Future Perfect aged incredibly well. Sins of a Solar Empire aged very well, granted most strategy games nowadays tend to since UI technology has advanced. Deus Ex: Human Revolution's graphics weren't ever really overly impressive but gameplay wise it's one of the few games I actually replay every few years. Mount and Blade Warband is another.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
I recall the platforming and climbing (to a lesser extent) being issues. I don't recall the sequels really fixing the platforming much, maybe there was just less platforming in them. I still remember the Hades level with those turning spikes and walking across some 2x4 rafters or something like that. I found the combat in the 1st game the most fun just due to L1+X juggle move; yeah, it made the combat easier than the sequels but the series is no DMC or Bayonetta so fun is of the utmost importance over mechanics and challenge in a GoW game IMO.
The sequels definitely fixed the climbing, by giving Kratos a solid grasp and by limiting the amount of enemies you would encounter during wall climbs. And also just the improvement of the animation. In GoW1 you could find yourself falling to your death quite often if you performed a jump from one wall to the next when there were enemies around you. The hitboxes were a bit screwy like that. This is what made Hades such a pain; a blade could lightly graze your pinky and you'd be fucked.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I think Symphony of the Night has aged really, really well. I honestly can't find a Metroid-vania game I like better, and the game is nearly twenty years old.

Yeah, the translation was shoddy and the voice acting was laughable- but that's just part of the experience.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Pyrian said:
Chess? Lol. Somebody already cited Tetris. Okay, seriously.

Tron 2.0
You know, in all the years I've been here, you're the first I've seen mention that game.

Anyway, in terms of graphics, I'd say: yes, definitely holds up fine. It does help that the TRON aesthetics already lend themselves well to it. Gameplay-wise, I'm not quite so sure, but it's been a long time since I've played it, so I'm not gonna make any kind of definitive judgment on it.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
If I had to pick one it would be Streets of Rage 2.

The game still looks good, plays incredibly, has characters that play differently enough that you want to go back through the game to try them. And that soundtrack, the soundtrack is simply awesome.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
BaldursGateTemple said:
Uncharted 3 is only 5 years old...
Haven't played in a bit but is it fair to write that Uncharted 2 is about as good and is 7 years old (2010).

In technology, even 3 years can be huge. The difference between Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider was about that long and I can see the difference.

Also, there can be tech leaps in the span of months. DX 12 is out now, processor speed is doubling every 18 months (Moorre's law). I have an HD 7970 with 3 Gig DDR5 that cost me $600 about 5 years ago. My other computer is now rocking an RX 480 with 8 Gig, double the power, $240.

So, 5 years on, with a whole new, much more powerful platform introduced to us, to see something this terrific? I'm impressed. (though, they can have my PS4 when they can pry it from ... y'know).

josemlopes said:
Since when is the Xbox 1 version on Rare Reloaded? You better not be rustling my jimmies.
It's Rare Replay!!! I have that! Paid $25: $15 on Amazon at this time! Supposedly from N64 version, not the Xbox remake.

OT: I mean... Uncharted 3 is rather new, isnt it?
See above...

Halo 3 hasnt aged a day, the artstyle is so nice.
Agreed, and a great game.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Breath of fire 3 and Final Fantasy Tactics always hold up for me. Fire emblem The sword of flame and Sacred stones always good. Another Mention of heroes of might and magic 3 and a slightly more controversial mention of heroes of might and magic 5 that my girlfriend and I have played to death...actually it has been a few months probably time to start a new campaign.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
Seconding Super Metroid for the SNES. The music, polished 16-bit graphics and intuitive controls combined to what I consider to be a perfect game.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Gorfias said:
BaldursGateTemple said:
Also, there can be tech leaps in the span of months. DX 12 is out now, processor speed is doubling every 18 months (Moorre's law).
Moore's Law is pretty much dead at this point. It strictly speaking means every 18 months you get double the number of transistors onto the same size of die. That's not happening anymore because we're approaching the limits of how far we can shrink the transistors on silicon. Case in point it looks like Intel will now have four generations on 14nm because they are having so much trouble getting 10nm to work, it used to be Intel would only have two generations per process node. It's part of the reason why CPU advancement has more or less plateaued in the past 6 years and the only way to get big improvements on CPUs now is to add more cores and go onto a larger die. GPUs face a similar situation, but they aren't hurt nearly as bad as they are designed from the ground up for parallel computing vs. CPU tasks that are more serialized and where software developers have a hard time scaling that stuff across many cores.

As for DX12, so far it hasn't been very impressive, not that many games have supported it so far, and those that do often run worse than in DX11 mode without any real improvements to visual fidelity.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
votemarvel said:
If I had to pick one it would be Streets of Rage 2.

The game still looks good, plays incredibly, has characters that play differently enough that you want to go back through the game to try them. And that soundtrack, the soundtrack is simply awesome.
Figured someone beat me to it. No matter, what you say is all true, and I 100% agree.

Double Dragon Advanced

Devil May Cry 3

Viewtiful Joe

Resident Evil 4

Vectorman

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Guardian Heroes

Serious Sam

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
American Tanker said:
My Dad and I had a ton of fun with arcade racing games on the N64 and I agree that games like the Rush and Crusin' games from back then (while not pretty anymore) are still a ton of fun to actually sit down and play. Hydro Thunder was another favorite and I'm disappointed in past-me for not realizing that Arctic Thunder was released on the PS2 (I loved that game in the arcade)

It's going to be hard to not just point at Arcade and PC games (like Silent Scope and DDR from the arcade and PnC-Adventure games on the PC like Beneath a Steel Sky). The thing is I do strongly agree that if you can look past the artistic limitations of older hardware, games like Gauntlet Legends, Crazy Taxi, Super Punch*Out, After Burner, NBA Jam and many, many others are still a ton of fun to play and those are just the few that came to me off of the top of my head.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The Star Wars Trilogy arcade game.
N64 Pok?mon Stadium minigames and the early Mario Parties
The Total War series started going in other directions, so with all the "we finally fixed..." and later mechanics, Rome and M2 are still fun.
UT and UT2k4
Yoshi's Island
Golden Sun 1 & 2
The 2d Sonic games. Yah, the Genesis ones but also CD and some choice GBA games
Rogue Squadron 1 & 2 (3 was a misfire).