Games that are bad (or everyone else hates) that you like.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
guys why are there not many bad games, only games people were mixed on. Let's talk about a bad game very few people will go to the mat.
Look at the title again: Games that are bad (or everyone else hates) that you like.

Most things are subjective, and there are plenty of bad games listed. Note how everyone else hates is in parenthesis for a reason.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
The Technomage

Made by Spider, the company that made Greedfall. And, well Greedfall is basically just Technomage, but at a Ren Faire instead of a cyberpunk distopia con. The mechanics are basically identical, as I played Technomage only a few weeks before Greefall came out, and was shocked by the similarity.

But, anyway, Technomage was fine. It was like someone who really loved old Bioware KOTOR, and wanted to make something similar, but also loved Mars, and possibly Babylon 5. The mechanics were serviceable, the characters and stuff were fine. It was a perfectly serviceable game.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
UK
I also really liked how they handled the morality system in that game and it is a bummer that they never revisited the concept.
I've always much preferred Dragon Age's morality system being your companion's feelings towards you, as opposed to some global abstract "good/evil" meter, like the Mass Effect trilogy.

Its not perfect, and I do still prefer it when games just don't have a meter at all, but it is definitely the lesser of two evils.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
I've always much preferred Dragon Age's morality system being your companion's feelings towards you, as opposed to some global abstract "good/evil" meter, like the Mass Effect trilogy.

Its not perfect, and I do still prefer it when games just don't have a meter at all, but it is definitely the lesser of two evils.
Binary Domain did something similar with your teammates.

meiam

Elite Member
Apr 19, 2020
The Technomage

Made by Spider, the company that made Greedfall. And, well Greedfall is basically just Technomage, but at a Ren Faire instead of a cyberpunk distopia con. The mechanics are basically identical, as I played Technomage only a few weeks before Greefall came out, and was shocked by the similarity.

But, anyway, Technomage was fine. It was like someone who really loved old Bioware KOTOR, and wanted to make something similar, but also loved Mars, and possibly Babylon 5. The mechanics were serviceable, the characters and stuff were fine. It was a perfectly serviceable game.
Ahhhh spiders, a good example of "eurojank". All their game are fine but nothing amazing. I also played bound by flame and... yep, decent game but forgettable. Combat is functional, but barebone and can be done by just button mashing most of the time. Story hits all the usual beats for a RPG story with no twist beside the one that are obvious from a mile away (which would be more suprising if they didn't happen).

I do feel like they're getting very formulaic and wish they would try something a bit more ambitious/original, but at the same time I don't know if they have the skill to pull that off so maybe its good they don't.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Splinter Cell: ConViction - After Double Agent which(atleast on PC) was terrible, i expected nothing but the franchise going down the drain. But lo behold, Conviction, while feeling different from traditional SCs, was probably the best Bourne Simulator i played. And a quite fun stealth game on its own, despite of rather weak first couple of levels.
I’m a shameless Splinter Cell fan, so even the installments I don’t like so much, I still love more than most other games. Conviction was a GREAT game. Chaos Theory and Blacklist are #1 and #2 respectively, and all the rest share the #3 spot in my heart.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
Ahhhh spiders, a good example of "eurojank". All their game are fine but nothing amazing. I also played bound by flame and... yep, decent game but forgettable. Combat is functional, but barebone and can be done by just button mashing most of the time. Story hits all the usual beats for a RPG story with no twist beside the one that are obvious from a mile away (which would be more suprising if they didn't happen).

I do feel like they're getting very formulaic and wish they would try something a bit more ambitious/original, but at the same time I don't know if they have the skill to pull that off so maybe its good they don't.
See I kind of find it depressing that "fine but nothing amazing" is often seen as a negative when it comes to entertainment. If it's BAD, sure, but if the overall opinion for a piece of work is "yeah it was fine" ....ok? So, well that's fine then. But in film/tv/games, that's often considered like a mark of "it's utter shite!" And I've always been puzzled by it. I didn't mind playing it, it was far more enjoyable than that time I tried to replay KOTOR and had to stop within the first 5 minutes because I forgot how terrible the system is, and the "hello unconscious amnesiac person! let me front load an insane amount of exposition at you while the ship is LITERALLY BLOWING UP AROUND US!!" kind of writing. I just, yeah I'll take Technomancer honestly.

If you never tried Greedfall, it was fun, I'd say it had better writing and voice acting than Technomancer, and was worth a buy. I'd definitely wait till it's on sale though, but it was a perfectly good game IMO.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I kind of find it depressing that "fine but nothing amazing" is often seen as a negative when it comes to entertainment. If it's BAD, sure, but if the overall opinion for a piece of work is "yeah it was fine" ....ok? So, well that's fine then. But in film/tv/games, that's often considered like a mark of "it's utter shite!" And I've always been puzzled by it.
You forgot, that we're in a generation now where everyone has become spoiled. Especially if it's the younger generation because they're so used to things that are great or good, fine is considered bad. I remember a time would find was just considered fine. You played it, you enjoyed it, and then you move on to something else. With no fuss or muss in between. honestly, I'll take a fine game, movie, or TV show, over something that is so bad it's horrible. Or or something that's regular bad or even so bad it's good.

meiam

Elite Member
Apr 19, 2020
See I kind of find it depressing that "fine but nothing amazing" is often seen as a negative when it comes to entertainment. If it's BAD, sure, but if the overall opinion for a piece of work is "yeah it was fine" ....ok? So, well that's fine then. But in film/tv/games, that's often considered like a mark of "it's utter shite!" And I've always been puzzled by it. I didn't mind playing it, it was far more enjoyable than that time I tried to replay KOTOR and had to stop within the first 5 minutes because I forgot how terrible the system is, and the "hello unconscious amnesiac person! let me front load an insane amount of exposition at you while the ship is LITERALLY BLOWING UP AROUND US!!" kind of writing. I just, yeah I'll take Technomancer honestly.

If you never tried Greedfall, it was fun, I'd say it had better writing and voice acting than Technomancer, and was worth a buy. I'd definitely wait till it's on sale though, but it was a perfectly good game IMO.
Well it's mostly because time is in short supply compared to the insane amount of game coming out atm. I don't have the time to play 1/10 of what I want, so it's hard to justify those game. But then again I played bound by flame/technomancer/greedfall and I'll probably play w/e they come up with next (although I'll buy it once it hit -50-75% discount), so it's not like I think I'm wasting my time playing them. I just don't see myself ever recommending them to someone else since there's so average that no matter what someone is looking for there's probably a better example.

But at the same time I feel like spiders game are just one small notch below witcher 3 (better gameplay, worse writing) so I don't understand why they get almost completly ignored while TW3 is almost universally praised (maybe it's just the worse graphic).

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The Paragon and Renegade were morality systems of a sort but they were more tied to Shepard’s reputation than the overall feeling of anything and Mass Effect of course didn’t have the same sliding scale for reputation with your crewmates.

Jade Empire’s use of Open Palm and Closed Fist were similar but were a better fit for the martial arts based setting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
But at the same time I feel like spiders game are just one small notch below witcher 3 (better gameplay, worse writing) so I don't understand why they get almost completly ignored while TW3 is almost universally praised (maybe it's just the worse graphic).
Pussy, there is no blatant pussy with hot busty witches in Spider games, so they are inferior in the eyes of those who think Witcher is a good game. I am not one of them.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I'll just say it, Bioshock 2 is a great game. It was, fairly if unfortunately, compared to Bioshock 1, the best FPS of all time, and in that it fell short. But compared to other FPS, especially in today's day and age, its a masterpiece. If it came out last year it would have been a serious contender vs Doom Eternal, with the debate being between run/gun/fun madness, and dark atmospheric story telling and challenging gameplay.
To be fair though, I’m sure people in both camps could consider the gameplay for each to be challenging.

Also reminds me, I do have the Bioshock collection in my PS4 library, even though I’d much prefer playing on PC (where I’d already played the original). Might start the sequel on a rainy day and see if it’s enjoyable enough with a DS4.