Games that are bad (or everyone else hates) that you like.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
guys why are there not many bad games, only games people were mixed on. Let's talk about a bad game very few people will go to the mat.
Look at the title again: Games that are bad (or everyone else hates) that you like.

Most things are subjective, and there are plenty of bad games listed. Note how everyone else hates is in parenthesis for a reason.

Reactions: Gatuno

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Technomage

Made by Spider, the company that made Greedfall. And, well Greedfall is basically just Technomage, but at a Ren Faire instead of a cyberpunk distopia con. The mechanics are basically identical, as I played Technomage only a few weeks before Greefall came out, and was shocked by the similarity.

But, anyway, Technomage was fine. It was like someone who really loved old Bioware KOTOR, and wanted to make something similar, but also loved Mars, and possibly Babylon 5. The mechanics were serviceable, the characters and stuff were fine. It was a perfectly serviceable game.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I also really liked how they handled the morality system in that game and it is a bummer that they never revisited the concept.
I've always much preferred Dragon Age's morality system being your companion's feelings towards you, as opposed to some global abstract "good/evil" meter, like the Mass Effect trilogy.

Its not perfect, and I do still prefer it when games just don't have a meter at all, but it is definitely the lesser of two evils.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I've always much preferred Dragon Age's morality system being your companion's feelings towards you, as opposed to some global abstract "good/evil" meter, like the Mass Effect trilogy.

Its not perfect, and I do still prefer it when games just don't have a meter at all, but it is definitely the lesser of two evils.
Binary Domain did something similar with your teammates.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Technomage

Made by Spider, the company that made Greedfall. And, well Greedfall is basically just Technomage, but at a Ren Faire instead of a cyberpunk distopia con. The mechanics are basically identical, as I played Technomage only a few weeks before Greefall came out, and was shocked by the similarity.

But, anyway, Technomage was fine. It was like someone who really loved old Bioware KOTOR, and wanted to make something similar, but also loved Mars, and possibly Babylon 5. The mechanics were serviceable, the characters and stuff were fine. It was a perfectly serviceable game.
Ahhhh spiders, a good example of "eurojank". All their game are fine but nothing amazing. I also played bound by flame and... yep, decent game but forgettable. Combat is functional, but barebone and can be done by just button mashing most of the time. Story hits all the usual beats for a RPG story with no twist beside the one that are obvious from a mile away (which would be more suprising if they didn't happen).

I do feel like they're getting very formulaic and wish they would try something a bit more ambitious/original, but at the same time I don't know if they have the skill to pull that off so maybe its good they don't.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Splinter Cell: ConViction - After Double Agent which(atleast on PC) was terrible, i expected nothing but the franchise going down the drain. But lo behold, Conviction, while feeling different from traditional SCs, was probably the best Bourne Simulator i played. And a quite fun stealth game on its own, despite of rather weak first couple of levels.
I’m a shameless Splinter Cell fan, so even the installments I don’t like so much, I still love more than most other games. Conviction was a GREAT game. Chaos Theory and Blacklist are #1 and #2 respectively, and all the rest share the #3 spot in my heart.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ahhhh spiders, a good example of "eurojank". All their game are fine but nothing amazing. I also played bound by flame and... yep, decent game but forgettable. Combat is functional, but barebone and can be done by just button mashing most of the time. Story hits all the usual beats for a RPG story with no twist beside the one that are obvious from a mile away (which would be more suprising if they didn't happen).

I do feel like they're getting very formulaic and wish they would try something a bit more ambitious/original, but at the same time I don't know if they have the skill to pull that off so maybe its good they don't.
See I kind of find it depressing that "fine but nothing amazing" is often seen as a negative when it comes to entertainment. If it's BAD, sure, but if the overall opinion for a piece of work is "yeah it was fine" ....ok? So, well that's fine then. But in film/tv/games, that's often considered like a mark of "it's utter shite!" And I've always been puzzled by it. I didn't mind playing it, it was far more enjoyable than that time I tried to replay KOTOR and had to stop within the first 5 minutes because I forgot how terrible the system is, and the "hello unconscious amnesiac person! let me front load an insane amount of exposition at you while the ship is LITERALLY BLOWING UP AROUND US!!" kind of writing. I just, yeah I'll take Technomancer honestly.

If you never tried Greedfall, it was fun, I'd say it had better writing and voice acting than Technomancer, and was worth a buy. I'd definitely wait till it's on sale though, but it was a perfectly good game IMO.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I kind of find it depressing that "fine but nothing amazing" is often seen as a negative when it comes to entertainment. If it's BAD, sure, but if the overall opinion for a piece of work is "yeah it was fine" ....ok? So, well that's fine then. But in film/tv/games, that's often considered like a mark of "it's utter shite!" And I've always been puzzled by it.
You forgot, that we're in a generation now where everyone has become spoiled. Especially if it's the younger generation because they're so used to things that are great or good, fine is considered bad. I remember a time would find was just considered fine. You played it, you enjoyed it, and then you move on to something else. With no fuss or muss in between. honestly, I'll take a fine game, movie, or TV show, over something that is so bad it's horrible. Or or something that's regular bad or even so bad it's good.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
See I kind of find it depressing that "fine but nothing amazing" is often seen as a negative when it comes to entertainment. If it's BAD, sure, but if the overall opinion for a piece of work is "yeah it was fine" ....ok? So, well that's fine then. But in film/tv/games, that's often considered like a mark of "it's utter shite!" And I've always been puzzled by it. I didn't mind playing it, it was far more enjoyable than that time I tried to replay KOTOR and had to stop within the first 5 minutes because I forgot how terrible the system is, and the "hello unconscious amnesiac person! let me front load an insane amount of exposition at you while the ship is LITERALLY BLOWING UP AROUND US!!" kind of writing. I just, yeah I'll take Technomancer honestly.

If you never tried Greedfall, it was fun, I'd say it had better writing and voice acting than Technomancer, and was worth a buy. I'd definitely wait till it's on sale though, but it was a perfectly good game IMO.
Well it's mostly because time is in short supply compared to the insane amount of game coming out atm. I don't have the time to play 1/10 of what I want, so it's hard to justify those game. But then again I played bound by flame/technomancer/greedfall and I'll probably play w/e they come up with next (although I'll buy it once it hit -50-75% discount), so it's not like I think I'm wasting my time playing them. I just don't see myself ever recommending them to someone else since there's so average that no matter what someone is looking for there's probably a better example.

But at the same time I feel like spiders game are just one small notch below witcher 3 (better gameplay, worse writing) so I don't understand why they get almost completly ignored while TW3 is almost universally praised (maybe it's just the worse graphic).

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The Paragon and Renegade were morality systems of a sort but they were more tied to Shepard’s reputation than the overall feeling of anything and Mass Effect of course didn’t have the same sliding scale for reputation with your crewmates.

Jade Empire’s use of Open Palm and Closed Fist were similar but were a better fit for the martial arts based setting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
But at the same time I feel like spiders game are just one small notch below witcher 3 (better gameplay, worse writing) so I don't understand why they get almost completly ignored while TW3 is almost universally praised (maybe it's just the worse graphic).
Pussy, there is no blatant pussy with hot busty witches in Spider games, so they are inferior in the eyes of those who think Witcher is a good game. I am not one of them.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'll just say it, Bioshock 2 is a great game. It was, fairly if unfortunately, compared to Bioshock 1, the best FPS of all time, and in that it fell short. But compared to other FPS, especially in today's day and age, its a masterpiece. If it came out last year it would have been a serious contender vs Doom Eternal, with the debate being between run/gun/fun madness, and dark atmospheric story telling and challenging gameplay.
To be fair though, I’m sure people in both camps could consider the gameplay for each to be challenging.

Also reminds me, I do have the Bioshock collection in my PS4 library, even though I’d much prefer playing on PC (where I’d already played the original). Might start the sequel on a rainy day and see if it’s enjoyable enough with a DS4.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not everybody, but a good amount of the hardcore Gunstar Heroes fans were hating on the sequel on GBA for not having a co-op mode back in 2005. You're characters are powered up already (Gunstar Red is a game breaker in Super Heroes). Adding co-op would have broken the game balance. I do admit that last boss is piss easy and mostly stands there waiting to get shot, the helicopter fucking sucks on hard mode, and dying takes you back to the title screen. A game in 2005! Yet the game has a level select, more stage variety, a more fun dice maze, and some awesome bosses. They hate from the hardcore fans died down over the years, but they were complaining for a good while. I can see why people prefer the original more: A better combination of mixing and matching weapons, co-op, and unlimited continues. I see it boils down to personal preference or what you're used to playing.

Last edited:

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Mirrors Edge: Catalyst.

I get it got turned into an open world check list, and I get the story fell flat on its face at every step, and I get the combat was poorly implemented and simple as fuck.

But I dunno, it really scratched an itch for me when I played it. The free running is so much fun when you get it going and Solar Fields music is, as always, excellent. The world is actually well put together too, both in lore and visuals. I loved the first one, so when I heard the negativity around it I was hesitant, but when I finally got around to it I really enjoyed it. It feels like a good game people expected to be great, so when it wasn't it was shit on unfairly, but its a good time if you can get into it.

And holy shit I played the fuck out of Bubsy 3D as a kid. That was peak video game to me at the time. I might be the only person in history who played it all the way through.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And holy shit I played the fuck out of Bubsy 3D as a kid. That was peak video game to me at the time. I might be the only person in history who played it all the way through.
If you can consider that a win, the more power to you. I never touched Bubsy 3d, because I hate Busy II.

Kill La Kill IF
. Sure there's a short roster, and they only added two more characters for DLC later down the line. They were free thankfully. Despite its problems, it's one of the best anime fighters on the market and better than a majority of them. What else it makes up for is really good fighting mechanics. The fact that they bother to get all the English voice actors back and dub the game is an extra bonus. Usually these types of games, they don't even bother dubbing, cuz they don't want to waste the money for localization. So you just get the Japanese with English subtitles. Kill La Kill has an awesome dub.

Gaming critics and certain anime fans online were tearing the crap out of the game without giving it much of a chance. The online didn't live that long either. It lasted barely a couple months, and you can't really find anybody much anymore. So you only have the single player and some of the extra modes to keep you company.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'll just say it, Bioshock 2 is a great game. It was, fairly if unfortunately, compared to Bioshock 1, the best FPS of all time, and in that it fell short. But compared to other FPS, especially in today's day and age, its a masterpiece. If it came out last year it would have been a serious contender vs Doom Eternal, with the debate being between run/gun/fun madness, and dark atmospheric story telling and challenging gameplay.
It’s been more than a few years since I played it, but IIRC, the biggest letdown for me with Bioshock 2 was playing as a Big Daddy, and not feeling like a Big Daddy. In the first game, BDs were these iconic and tense moments of gameplay, so when I learned I’d get to be one in the sequel, I was really looking forward to being that imposing figure, but nope; it felt basically the same, and they added Big SISTER who, for reasons, was bigger, better, faster, stronger. Still, not a bad game, just a bit disappointing that it was sold [to me] as a power trip, and just ended up being more of the same.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mirrors Edge: Catalyst.

I get it got turned into an open world check list, and I get the story fell flat on its face at every step, and I get the combat was poorly implemented and simple as fuck.

But I dunno, it really scratched an itch for me when I played it. The free running is so much fun when you get it going and Solar Fields music is, as always, excellent. The world is actually well put together too, both in lore and visuals. I loved the first one, so when I heard the negativity around it I was hesitant, but when I finally got around to it I really enjoyed it. It feels like a good game people expected to be great, so when it wasn't it was shit on unfairly, but its a good time if you can get into it.
I fucking LOVE the first Mirror's Edge game. It's one of the earlier examples for me, of a game that made for a fun, action packed game, but also encouraged a pacifist approach. I remember seeing a developer, talking about how they tried to allow for combat/gunplay, but made it where it really wasn't a good idea, because it hampered your freerunning, which was Faith's true weapon. So picking up a gun made you run slower, jump lower, and have difficulty climbing, because you know, you're carrying a freaking assault rifle. I use it as my litmus test for first person freerunning mechanics, and how good/fluid they are. I didn't pick up the second game when it came out though, because I heard it was a buggy, janky mess on most systems, so I held off. I picked it up on the PS 4 recently, but it didn't have the same appeal. I think, because of a lot of little things. Like, how a lot of the freerunning moves are gated behind skill upgrades, instead of just, being something you can do if you are talented enough with the controls. This lead to several fuck ups and deaths, because I tried to triangle jump up some walls...and instead fell to my death, because apparently I can't do that yet, which was news to me.

I also didn't like the Obnoxious Confrontational Jerk Ally guy, that is just pure toxic behavior from the moment you meet him, for NO REASON. It wouldn't be such a big deal if he wasn't always around, constantly negging you, and just being a dick. I also found it annoying that there is an npc standing right outside our hideout, that every time I walk past her, she just insults me for being "street trash". And yet, she's completely invulnerable to punches...and kicks...and flying kicks...and everything....because I tried. It just, felt really disconnected from what I found really fun with the first game, on a lot of levels. I might try it again, because it does bother me that I don't like it, as I love freerunning/parkour games. But, yeah that one just failed to capture my love of the original.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was really looking forward to being that imposing figure, but nope; it felt basically the same, and they added Big SISTER who, for reasons, was bigger, better, faster, stronger. Still, not a bad game, just a bit disappointing that it was sold [to me] as a power trip, and just ended up being more
DBZ power scaling; don't you love it?

Reactions: happyninja42

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I fucking LOVE the first Mirror's Edge game. It's one of the earlier examples for me, of a game that made for a fun, action packed game, but also encouraged a pacifist approach. I remember seeing a developer, talking about how they tried to allow for combat/gunplay, but made it where it really wasn't a good idea, because it hampered your freerunning, which was Faith's true weapon. So picking up a gun made you run slower, jump lower, and have difficulty climbing, because you know, you're carrying a freaking assault rifle. I use it as my litmus test for first person freerunning mechanics, and how good/fluid they are. I didn't pick up the second game when it came out though, because I heard it was a buggy, janky mess on most systems, so I held off. I picked it up on the PS 4 recently, but it didn't have the same appeal. I think, because of a lot of little things. Like, how a lot of the freerunning moves are gated behind skill upgrades, instead of just, being something you can do if you are talented enough with the controls. This lead to several fuck ups and deaths, because I tried to triangle jump up some walls...and instead fell to my death, because apparently I can't do that yet, which was news to me.
That's weird cause my main complain with the first mirror edge (aside from the story) was that you were always forced to use violence and how it made the game so much easier. I played it pacifist and it really didn't feel like the game was intended to be played this way. For example there's point where you're in this tiny room and the only way to leave is by climbing up a pipe, the problem is there's a few soldiers and if they fire at you while you're climbing up the pipe you fall back down so you have to keep trying until you get lucky and no shoot hit you if you don't want to beat them up. Similarly there's a point where some soldier block a walkway and he's placed in a position where it's really hard to not knock him off the building (sending him plummeting 50+ story down). All I wanted was a free running game, don't even need enemy, but instead I got an action schlock : (

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's weird cause my main complain with the first mirror edge (aside from the story) was that you were always forced to use violence and how it made the game so much easier. I played it pacifist and it really didn't feel like the game was intended to be played this way. For example there's point where you're in this tiny room and the only way to leave is by climbing up a pipe, the problem is there's a few soldiers and if they fire at you while you're climbing up the pipe you fall back down so you have to keep trying until you get lucky and no shoot hit you if you don't want to beat them up. Similarly there's a point where some soldier block a walkway and he's placed in a position where it's really hard to not knock him off the building (sending him plummeting 50+ story down). All I wanted was a free running game, don't even need enemy, but instead I got an action schlock : (
You can actually bypass a ton of places with combat....if you think like a freerunner. Sure I think some places do require you to at least kick a dude or two to escape, but for the most part, bypassing threats, is the preferred option, given Faith's skillset. I actually would pull up the ghosting time trials thing, and see how other people handled the maps, and it's really impressive, they ways they saw to traverse the maps, that just completely ignored the dudes with guns. The point I think, was that while you CAN go in and grab a gun from a dude, and shoot tons of people, you really don't have to. I never shot a gun once in that game, and yes, I did trip-kick dudes and disarm them on several occasions, but once those threats were removed, it was just disengage, run, climb.