Games that disappointed you

snitchy

Nov 14, 2007
Carbon016 said:
Pretty much everything I've bought in the last year or so - Flight Sim X (runs terribly), Portal (repetitive), Battlefield 2142 (sorta), HL2 (yes, HL2!), Sims 2 (runs terribly, just not as fun as the original), Civ IV (I wanted a RTS, not a bloody board game) and ESPECIALLY the Crysis demo (not a full game, though..the physics engine was mind-blowing but the whole thing felt like Far Cry meets Tech Demo and overrated graphics). Also World of Warcraft - I played SWG longer than that, and that's not saying much.
I don't know if you're just a gigantic troll or something else. I can understand some of your opinions, but to say that Civ IV is bad just because you didn't/couldn't read the description of the game before you played it makes no sense at all.

snitchy

Nov 14, 2007
I was actually severely disappointed in the Halo series, but that might just be because I am more used to playing PC shooters and didn't have the money to buy an XBox or the patience to play through the story at a friend's house.

I also was disappointed by KOTOR 2. Maybe it was because I thought KOTOR was so amazing (amazing enough to play through it three times) that the bugginess and the characters that I just couldn't love ruined the whole experience for me.

I am currently trying to get Rome: Total War. Hopefully it'll be as fun as people say it is.

KefZ_X

Nov 14, 2007
Ill list 3 games that disappointed me

1 KOTOR 2 I liked the lvl up to 50 and more skills to unlock but
please next time a better story

2 Metal Gear Solid 2 Raiden that?s all I need to be disappointed with this game

3 Gothic 3 Bugs, Bugs everywhere hahahahaha????.

Simmage

Nov 8, 2007
Guild Wars; I just thought it would be better. The whole 'personal adventure' thing REALLY threw me off.

Neverwinter Nights 2; Huge letdown to be frank.

Stronghold 2; I couldn't fit all the bad things in here.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I actually enjoyed Stronghold 2....

I think its something to do with the spearmens voices.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Sonic the Hedgehog 2, probably the biggest let down of my childhood. I should probably clarify a bit here, its not that I dislike it, I actually still think its pretty good fun, but it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. After Nintendo released Super Mario World (which I thought was awesome and would still rate as my all time favourite game) I really thought Sega were going to hit back with a masterpiece to counter this gem taht Nintendo had produced, and sadly, like the gullible 10 year old I was, I bought into the hype surrounding the game.

I got it on the day of release (when I got back from school anyway) and played it for two straight hours in which I finished it with all seven chaos emeralds (which I had by the end of Aquatic Ruins) and was left just thinking "Is that it?" It was pretty crushing, it took me longer to get through the doughnut plains in Mario World than completing that entire game did and the game was just so drawn out. Even to this day no game has left me with the kind of disappointment that it did.

Carbon016

Nov 13, 2007
snitchy said:
I don't know if you're just a gigantic troll or something else. I can understand some of your opinions, but to say that Civ IV is bad just because you didn't/couldn't read the description of the game before you played it makes no sense at all.
Not a troll! Granted - expecting a traditional RTS was stupid - I knew it was turn based, though I primarily picked it up because a few of my friends said the series was good and on no other grounds. I actually play a very similar game on a forum I frequent with turn-based production of units and territory invasions, and that's pretty fun. But Civ IV's mechanics were boring and poorly put together, the UI was one of the least intuitive I've ever used, and it just didn't feel like it had any sort of idea what it tried to be. In a sense the letdown was probably more because of the hype than the mechanics, though the latter was very broken.

For me it would have to be Spiderman 3 for the XBox 360, damn.
I rented it for the Wii. I share your pain.

RipperjackAU

Mar 3, 2005
Well my latest venture into gaming, Hellgate London has been a BIG disappointment. Such a good IP, totally screwed over with shoddy coding, bad game design decisions and in general a lack of care that SHOULD have been taken to make an excellent game.

Heaven forbid if Warhammer ends up sucking, as that is my LAST great hope to keep me going in MMORPG's.

Nov 15, 2007
I could probably write a book on games that have disappointed me, but I'm honestly not bitter. Having said that, here's a list:

Neverwinter Nights - Wow. Bioware does not equal Black Isle. Not only did they go from the infinity engine to a really crappy 3D engine, but also they made a D&D game in which you don't have a party. Instead they eliminate one of the foundations D&D is built on, and you get one companion who you can't directly control. Genius! The toolset that came with it was nice, but the game itself was terrible, especially after the greatness of the Black Isle games.

Star Wars Galaxies - As others have said this seems like an idea that can't go wrong, but it did in almost every way imaginable. The most amusing part of it for me is the fact they completely changed the game once the only people who were left playing it were the ones who liked the way it was. Way to slap your staunch supporters right in the face, SOE. Longtime players of SWG are the martyrs of gaming. I'm not going to list all of the things I found personally terrible about SWG, but it felt like they were using the game to experiment with all the things they could do in an MMO instead of trying to create a solid MMO set in the Star Wars universe.

While I'm at I might as well mention I've been disappointed with every MMO since Ultima Online. Maybe it is because when I played UO the idea was fresh, but since then the genre seems stagnant, and WoW has basically just fine tuned a formula I hate. Questing has always been the weak point of MMOs since your quests invariably don't matter because they must be created so every single other person can do them as well, and WoW is all about the questing.

KOTOR - I honestly wasn't impressed. Maybe I had run out of enthusiasm for Star Wars at that point, but I just couldn't stick with the game, but then I'm also one of the few people who actually liked Jade Empire so what do I know?

Oblivion - I'm one of those elitists who likes Morrowind better. I had to use something like twenty mods to fine tune Oblivion to my liking, and I think it is awesome that I was able to do that, but it also shouldn't be necessary. I didn't so much like Oblivion as I liked the game I could make it become.

Call of Duty 2 - It felt exactly the same as the first game to the extent that it was difficult to tell the difference. To be fair I was also getting pretty sick of WWII by that point, but that doesn't change the fact that it was simply more of the same.

STALKER - This is a game I hadn't heard anything about on release, but people on various parts of the internet were raving about it, comparing it to Deus Ex. After buying it, and not seeing anything special about it I determined I shouldn't listen to other people when deciding what games to purchase. There isn't anything wrong with the game in particular. It just didn't do much for me, and I had been led to believe it was fantastic.

Bioshock - See the Zero Punctuation concerning Bioshock. I feel basically the same way. At one point in the game they drag the idea of following the orders of someone else as the main motivation for your progress out into the street, and shoot it, but soon after you go right back to doing just that.

FEAR Extraction Point - I loved FEAR. I mean I really loved FEAR. IT has been a long time since a game gave me the creeps, and made me jump out of my chair, but FEAR also provided some really great action, and an interesting story to unravel. Extraction Point's story made no damn sense, and basically destroyed everything that had gone on before. The action was still good, but everything else about it was not.

Warhammer Mark of Chaos - I used to play the table top game so a Warhammer fantasy RTS sounded great to me. The execution was lacking at best. Never mind the patch that was a couple hundred megs, which should be indicative of something having gone seriously wrong during development. The loading screens had loading screens. People think I'm joking when I say that, but it is true, and what's more even quitting to the main menu required a loading screen. The sad part is that the game play when you were actually controlling units on the field was pretty fun, but there was so much chaff to wade through I just didn't want to bother.

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth - I'm a big fan of Lovecraft so a game set in Innsmouth sounded several kinds of awesome. The problem was this game couldn't decide what genre it was. If it was a shooter it was light on weapons. If it was an adventure game some dialogue options would be nice. Too many times you talk to a person just to watch what amounts to a cut scene of them talking without your input being needed. I've never played any game where I have felt more acutely I was just moving my character from point A to point B. Also being a fan of Lovecraft actually hurt more than it helped because it robbed the game of all its mystery, and horror.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within - I think my problem with this game can best be summed up by the words, "I smolder with generic rage."

TimeShift - I was really looking forward to this game, but the demo left me flat. The ability to stop, reverse, or slow time didn't give me nearly the tactical freedom I expected. Maybe it is because the demo attempts to walk you through your various abilities, but it felt as if they were just there to get through specific situations.

Hellgate London - I'll ignore the bugs for the purposes of this rant. I just realized that I'm beyond wanting to play Diablo again even if it is dressed up in a new IP, and a 3D engine that is disguised as a shooter. Between the randomly generated areas, loot hoarding, and monsters that only attack once you get a certain distance from them it plays just like Diablo with guns. That might be awesome for some people, but I was expecting more.

I might as well take this moment to point out that I'm apparently the only person on the planet who wasn't disappointed with Fable, but the reason for that is I never heard any of Peter Molyneux's insane promises about the game. I was simply starving for any RPG at all on the Xbox at that point. I also wanted to end on a positive note after all of those disappointments.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
STALKER: I was looking forward to this game for a long time, and bought on day it was released. It was quite enjoyable, when it worked, and it rarely did. That plus the uninteresting sidequest, and the wierd mix of english speaking russians, and russian speaking russians, meant the game didn't really appeal to me in the long run. But hopefully the coming sequel will be better, because the idea behind the game was exellent, and i really liked the open-ended enviroment.

Aedn

Nov 14, 2007
For 2007, there is no doubt its HGL, followed by hl-2 ep2 for me. HGL is probably the worst game of 2007, when you consider the kind of investment it had. Its pretty easy to make a bad game when you have no money, it takes talent to have a multi-million dollar budget and still create a steaming pile of Feces.

Hl2- just feels to me that valve is still stuck in 2004, and really does not want to do anything new. Linear storyline, with poor fps gameplay is getting old.

Saylex

Nov 15, 2007
I know some of these have been said many times, but here I goes.

Oblivion: over hyped and failed to deliver.
Halo 1 through 3: see Oblivion
Final Fantasy XI: I realize the Final Fantasy series is based on taking your money and giving you (for the most part) Shoddy story with pretty graphics, but XI was a bit much. You had to pay to open up character slots, pay to change realms (which were given to you randomly, by the way.) to play with friends you may have joined with. Money. Sink.
World of Warcraft Burning Crusade: Dear sweet Jesus, 2 years in development, 3 weeks of gameplay, casual. *shakes head*
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter: They sodomized my Ryu. Period.
And I think I mentioned the Halo series, but I'll stick it down again for good measure.

ShmenonPie

Nov 15, 2007
FatRabidRamboCow said:
Neverwinter Nights. Just didn't compare to the likes of Baldur's Gate.

Neverwtiner Nights 2 was even worse.
Your expectations are through the roof if you were disappointed by the NWN games. They were really great, and fun to play, so I don't understand where you're coming from there.

For me, the Halo series dissapointed, I fail to understand how any of them got AAA, they were just pretty average.

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
i hate it when people ARE dissapointed after theyve read thousands of over-hyping articles, personally, i only read articles about games ive already played, or i read articles that are way too cynical to be true, that way, im pleasantly surprised by games when i do actually like them, and also, i was dissapointed by "Project Rub", i was expecting something deliciously kinky, but all i found was a bunch of weird mini-games, and dressing up some random girl, also, if you changed the language to japanese, the start menu picture changes.......and becomes, slightly rude, anyway, i found the minigames good, but it wasnt what i was expecting, mainly cos i was expecting a completely different game to the one i had purchased...

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
Animal Crossing: Wild World sounded like a perfect sequal to the Gamecube original, but it bored me to tears for some reason.

Nov 14, 2007
ShmenonPie said:
For me, the Halo series dissapointed, I fail to understand how any of them got AAA, they were just pretty average.
Amen to that. But for console players who haven't been playing online Quake or Unreal Tournament or such, it's new ground. And hey, it has a story, at least, more than some FPS.

But yeah, I'm playing the Marathons for the first time every, and boy howdy, letdown. I mean, I play old PC games regularly, but these are just feh.